Question for Windows 7 laptop users

Started Oct 5, 2012 | Discussions
Carl S
Contributing MemberPosts: 912
Like?
Question for Windows 7 laptop users
Oct 5, 2012

Hello:

I'm a long time Windows XP user who just purchased a Dell laptop installed with Windows 7 Home Premium. I'm using the touchpad, no mouse. The pointer is driving me crazy because sometimes when I scroll over something, anything really, it will get selected without ever left-clicking it. I have windows opening up all the time that I had no intention of opening. Is this a Windows 7 thing (Is this normal?) or do you think something could be wrong with the touchpad or device driver for the touchpad?  If this is normal is there a way to turn this off in Windows 7 so I can select something by left-clicking it the way I'm used to doing? Thank you for any help you can provide.

Carl

joey_B
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,080
Like?
Re: Question for Windows 7 laptop users
In reply to Carl S, Oct 5, 2012

If the thing is set up too sensitive, it could interpret a fast stroke as a 'click'. Go into the control panel and play a bit with the settings for the mousepad. And look if the sides of the touchpad are designated to act as scrollbars, that can be very annoying too if you are not accustomed to it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JusLookN
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,033Gear list
Like?
In reply to joey_B, Oct 5, 2012

Also while you are there, change the mouse from double tap to select.  This way you will have to use the left mouse button.  Most touchpads have double tap to select assigned.

-- hide signature --

Glenn
I'm kinda partial to video, but I'm hangin!

JusLookN's gear list:JusLookN's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 +1 more
Zone8
Forum ProPosts: 15,500
Like?
In reply to JusLookN, Oct 5, 2012

You can change all the settings for the touchpad - including the sensitivity, the pressure or other areas at sides  and turning off being able to use the touchpad other than a means of moving the mouse pointer.

Many get a small USB mouse to thus get rid of using the touchpad at all!  That is my preference but if no facility to use the mouse - I can use touchpad to only move the pointer and then use the buttons as though on a mouse.

-- hide signature --

Zone8: Although I am a handsome genius, when I stand in front of a mirror, I vaguely recognise the ugly idjit standing on the other side!
LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm
Cleaning DSLR Sensors, including Kodak DSLR Factory Cleaning method:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/KodakDCS-sensorcleaning.htm
Solving back/front focus problems on Sigma and most other DSLRs
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1027&message=35565277
PDF format list of lenses you can print or download - covers Italian Flag YES/NO for DCS 14n but applies to others. http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/ItiFlagLensList.pdf

Carl S
Like?
In reply to Zone8, Oct 5, 2012

Thanks people for the good replies, very helpful.

migibson99
Regular MemberPosts: 211
Like?

I have a couple of laptops and I hate using the track pad.   Someone above suggested using a USB mouse.  I take it one step further.  I have a USB Trackball mouse in my 2 computer bags.  I don't need a flat surface, and I can use them in the tightest of spots since the mouse itself is stationary.  Both are wireless, so it super convenient, with no wires.

brn
brn
Senior MemberPosts: 2,668Gear list
Like?

It's common to have the pad set up to interpret a touch as a mouse click.  Look at the mouse settings (might be laptop specific) and turn that feature off.

brn's gear list:brn's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD4000 IS Nikon D70 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000
Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,689
Like?
Refurbished Logitech M305

I've bought 3 of these in the past year for use with netbooks and laptops, and I bought all of them in refurbished condition to save a few bucks, and they're all still working just fine.

I used this vendor for one of them and the mouse arrived in perfect, like new condition.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-M305-Wireless-Optical-2-4GHz-Mouse-Black-/261069058325?pt=Mice&hash=item3cc8edb115

For $13.25 delivered to get a wireless mouse (that works on virtually any surface, including on my pants leg while sitting in a recliner in the Den), it's just not worth the trouble to tweak the settings to try and use the built in touchpad on new laptops/netbooks, since using a wireless mouse makes it *much* easier. 

This model has a "nano" receiver (so that it fits almost flush with the laptop's USB port), and works just fine (again, I've bought 3 of them so far).

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,689
Like?
Re: Refurbished Logitech M305
In reply to Jim Cockfield, Oct 6, 2012

Jim Cockfield wrote:

I've bought 3 of these in the past year for use with netbooks and laptops, and I bought all of them in refurbished condition to save a few bucks, and they're all still working just fine.

I used this vendor for one of them and the mouse arrived in perfect, like new condition.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-M305-Wireless-Optical-2-4GHz-Mouse-Black-/261069058325?pt=Mice&hash=item3cc8edb115

For $13.25 delivered to get a wireless mouse (that works on virtually any surface, including on my pants leg while sitting in a recliner in the Den), it's just not worth the trouble to tweak the settings to try and use the built in touchpad on new laptops/netbooks, since using a wireless mouse makes it *much* easier. 

This model has a "nano" receiver (so that it fits almost flush with the laptop's USB port), and works just fine (again, I've bought 3 of them so far).

P.S.

I just noticed I'm using a Logitech M305 mouse with my desktop right this minute, too.  LOL

Personally, I like the smaller size of this particular mouse model.

I had some issues with my last wireless mouse and swapped to one the Logitech M305 models I bought for use with laptops and netbooks.  Even though the "nano" receiver is plugged into a USB port on the desktop computer that's four or five feet from where the mouse is, it still works fine.

On the downside, I do need to replace the battery in the mouse from time to time.  I'm guessing you'll need to replace it around once/month with heavy use (all day long every day type of use).

No big deal though.   I bought a 16 pack of Walgreen brand AA Alkaline batteries from our local WalGreen's pharmacy a while back for around $7.00 (and you can find them for even less online).   The Logitech M305 mouse only uses one AA Battery (which helps to keep the size/weight of the mouse down).

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Carl S
Like?
Thanks to the last few posters for the info on wireless mouses.
In reply to Jim Cockfield, Oct 7, 2012

I will pick one up soon as I also dislike using the touchpad.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads