Best screen protector for D800

Started Oct 4, 2012 | Discussions
chazphoto
Regular MemberPosts: 118
Like?
Best screen protector for D800
Oct 4, 2012

Any advice on a stick-on protector for the rear LCD on a D800?  I see that Giottos don't yet have one dedicated to this camera and with the slightly larger LCD, I don't know what will fit.

Also, any views on the Giotto (0.5mm glass with sticky surround) versus something like the ZAGG InvisibleShield (hi-spec poly sticking to screen) would be gratefully received.

thanks

Chazphoto

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 12,126
Like?
Re: Best screen protector for D800
In reply to chazphoto, Oct 4, 2012

I'm using this GGSset on a D800E. Works fine. Supposedly explosion-proof.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,743Gear list
Like?
In reply to Robin Casady, Oct 4, 2012

I'm using the same one. Its good but it does tend to show finger smears more.

Greg.

AlephNull
Contributing MemberPosts: 852Gear list
Like?

I have the GGS on my D800E. It's a vast improvement over the plastic cover.

Disadvantage: it's really glossy, and sometimes it can be a bit hard to see in bright sunlight. I'd prefer a matte finish, but I will accept the gloss over the alternative.

Advantage: it wipes clean really easily. No air bubbles!

AlephNull's gear list:AlephNull's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D810
hypercore360
Contributing MemberPosts: 862Gear list
Like?

+1 for GGS Glass. Got it on eBay for around $12...

hypercore360's gear list:hypercore360's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D800E Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
chazphoto
Regular MemberPosts: 118
Like?
In reply to hypercore360, Oct 4, 2012

Thanks all.  That seems to be 100% for the glass option.

Chazphoto

rudyr
Regular MemberPosts: 339
Like?

One vote against the GGS.  Had one on my D7000, no air bubbles.  Traveled to a very high altitude location and a big one emerged underneath the glass.  I tried to do a remove/reapply when I got back down to sea level (bubble was still there) and the GGS just flat out shattered.

Is there a known/correct way to remove GGS protectors?

Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 12,126
Like?
In reply to rudyr, Oct 5, 2012

rudyr wrote:

One vote against the GGS.  Had one on my D7000, no air bubbles.  Traveled to a very high altitude location and a big one emerged underneath the glass.  I tried to do a remove/reapply when I got back down to sea level (bubble was still there) and the GGS just flat out shattered.

That means there must have been a small bubble that expanded when atmospheric pressure dropped.

Dental floss or thread.

-- hide signature --
Gary Ratay
Regular MemberPosts: 248
Like?

I think your experience is unusual. I have used GGS protectors on all of my bodies (6). I live in Colorado and travel up to high altitudes (12,000+) and then down to sea level. No Problems.

Gary

michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,972Gear list
Like?

rudyr wrote:

That sounds impossible.  The air bubble, I mean.  The glass screen does not lay against the camera LCD screen.  There is always one big air bubble behind the GGS screen.  So I don't see how you could have developed an air bubble.  Are you sure your air bubble wasn't behind the LCD screen?

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D800E Nikon D4 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +17 more
larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,501Gear list
Like?
In reply to michaeladawson, Oct 5, 2012

It seems like I read that a screen protector is not required since the outter surface on the newer Nikon cameras are scratch proof?  They used to supply one with the cameras (plastic, not worth a darn) and now they don't.

Larry

craig
Senior MemberPosts: 1,946Gear list
Like?
In reply to chazphoto, Oct 5, 2012

I have the GGS 3 which snaps on like the nikon protector. Works great. And like others have said...it explosion proof

http://www.amazon.com/GGS-Screen-Protector-glass-NIKON/dp/B008LR9WDK

Uncle C

craig's gear list:craig's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +2 more
Bill Fagan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,959
Like?
In reply to chazphoto, Oct 5, 2012

When I first got the D2x's, I could not keep the protectors on. So I stopped using them. 5 bodies later and not a single problem. Plus I don't have to look through a protector which is more objectionable to me than small scratches would be. I bought a couple of replacement Nikon glass parts for the back of the D3's, but have not had to use them. I am not that easy on the cameras either-

michaeladawson
Like?
In reply to larrywilson, Oct 5, 2012

larrywilson wrote:

It seems like I read that a screen protector is not required since the outter surface on the newer Nikon cameras are scratch proof?  They used to supply one with the cameras (plastic, not worth a darn) and now they don't.

Larry

They do supply the plastic screen for the D800.  The D3 and D4 bodies did/do not come with one.  Not sure what they do with the D600.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D800E Nikon D4 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +17 more
michaeladawson
Like?
In reply to craig, Oct 5, 2012

craig wrote:

I have the GGS 3 which snaps on like the nikon protector. Works great. And like others have said...it explosion proof

http://www.amazon.com/GGS-Screen-Protector-glass-NIKON/dp/B008LR9WDK

Uncle C

I bought the GGS3 as well.  Then tossed it after a day.  It was too loose.  It would pop off just from the camera rubbing against my hip.  Promptly bought the stick on one.

Maybe mine was defective.  But not worth the hassle to return a product that cost under $10.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

vinny
Senior MemberPosts: 1,787Gear list
Like?
In reply to Robin Casady, Oct 6, 2012

www.expertshielduk.com/nikon-d800-anti-glare-expert-shield.htmlwww.expertshielduk.com/nikon-d800-anti-glare-expert-shield.html

Island Golfer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,839
Like?
In reply to chazphoto, Oct 6, 2012

I have used Zagg Invisable Shield on 6 different cameras over the years. I've never had an issue. They work great.  http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/nikon-d800-2012-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php

-- hide signature --

truview

Red G8R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,647Gear list
Like?
In reply to Island Golfer, Oct 6, 2012

Is it really necessary? Does anyone know if the screen on the D600 has the same quality as the D4/3, D800?

-- hide signature --

Peter
Ontario, Canada

Red G8R's gear list:Red G8R's gear list
Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +10 more
BobYIL
Contributing MemberPosts: 889
Like?
In reply to Red G8R, Oct 6, 2012

Red G8R wrote:

Is it really necessary? Does anyone know if the screen on the D600 has the same quality as the D4/3, D800?

-- hide signature --

Peter
Ontario, Canada

I think it is.. I am using GGS thin glass protectors since the day I bought the Nex-5 and today with the D800E. First off you do not need to be extremely careful about scratching/damaging your screen, it can take rough handling easily. Second, clean it with anything nearby, no need to concern about scratching. And third, it's inexpensive even to order with a spare one against  all kinds of damage.

-- hide signature --

BobYIL

M Lammerse
Forum ProPosts: 10,935
Like?
In reply to chazphoto, Oct 6, 2012

Best Screen protector....

There are so many options. If you want to protect your screen from being hit by anything, just use the original one. If you just want to have a bit better view and keep the fatty fingers/nose away, just use those adhesive sheets (there are many brands and in many prices and they all do basically the same - protect your screen from getting dirty)

I use those adhesive sheets of Belkin (for ipad3, cut them to fit) And I have used the camera with them since about May in all kinds of conditions.

They work well. Don't fall for the uber expensive ones.

Michel

-- hide signature --

- To observe without evaluation is the highest form of human intelligence -
http://www.fotopropaganda.com
http://www.fotopropaganda.com/blog
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9240992@N05/ (my pixel mess on flikr)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads