A77 lens combination- zoom & macro

Started Oct 4, 2012 | Questions
gt mike
Forum MemberPosts: 89
Like?
A77 lens combination- zoom & macro
Oct 4, 2012

I received my a77 w/ Sony 16-50mm tonight! .......charging battery. I also have a Sony 50mm 1.8 lens

I see using the 16-50 as my walk around pic/video and it is very versatile. but would also like to shoot some longer zoom sports and macro with a fast 2.8 lens as well.

i was looking at 2 lenses:

• Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM - for my  longer zoom sports and wildlife
  • Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM APO Macro Lens - to get my macros which will also get me some distance for certain insects that cannot be shot too close.

The macro I like to shoot is flowers, but want to shoot dragon flies. i have tried in the past but once you get too close they fly away. i really want to fill the screen and get as close as possible.

i spoke with a Sigma rep today and they suggested the following: since i am fairly new to this and i can save some money at the same time and have both while learning.... Purchase the 70-200f/2.8 and use extension tubes to get my macro shots. I know i will sacrifice some stops as well going this route. i also read some using a Canon 500D closeup lens to achieve the distance needed to shoot macro with zoom on dragon flies ect.

i also ask Sigma about the 70-200 f/2.8 macro, and they said i would be better off with the 70-200f/2.8 with extension tubes. i am a little confused. any suggestions on other lens manufactures as well.

Your thoughts or experience appreciated - THX

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 500D (EOS Rebel T1i / EOS Kiss X3) Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rashkae
Senior MemberPosts: 1,138Gear list
Like?
Re: A77 lens combination- zoom & macro
In reply to gt mike, Oct 4, 2012

The Sigma guys were quire right. The 70-200mm "macro" is more of a joke, just letting you know you can focus closer than usual with the 70-200, but it's far from being a real macro.

I've played with the Sigma 150mm before and it's quite a decent lens if you need that range.

But you will never, ever, pry my 200mm Minolta Macro from my hands!! 

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gt mike
Forum MemberPosts: 89
Like?
Re: A77 lens combination- zoom & macro
In reply to Rashkae, Oct 4, 2012

Thanks...What do you think about using the extension tubes and the Canon 5D with either lens

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads