YN565EX problem?

Started Oct 4, 2012 | Questions
james004
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
YN565EX problem?
Oct 4, 2012

I am new to using an external flash. So I don't know what the problem is or if there is even a problem at all. I am using said flash with my T4i and the camera is not compensating for the flash. In other words ISO and shutter speed are the same as if the external flash was not being used. Is there a setting that could be off. Or is this how an external flash works?

FYI
ETTL is on

TIA

James

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jcochran
Contributing MemberPosts: 669Gear list
Like?
Re: YN565EX problem?
In reply to james004, Oct 4, 2012

If you set the ISO, Aperture, and Shutter Speed, then the flash intensity should be adjusted accordingly. Are you saying your flash is not making an appropriate intensity adjustment and your images are coming out under or over exposed?

-- hide signature --
 jcochran's gear list:jcochran's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 100D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
james004
Like?
In reply to jcochran, Oct 4, 2012

jcochran wrote:

If you set the ISO, Aperture, and Shutter Speed, then the flash intensity should be adjusted accordingly. Are you saying your flash is not making an appropriate intensity adjustment and your images are coming out under or over exposed?

-- hide signature --

I am saying that the camera exposure settings are not changing. In other words if the camera meters 1/40 shutter and 3200 iso without the flash on. Then you put the flash on and the settings will be the same. Then the exposure will be blown out. This is in AV or P mode.

james004
Like?
In reply to james004, Oct 4, 2012

I am giving this a bump since I do not see it in the Rebel talk forum.

James

WilbaW
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,201Gear list
Like?
In reply to james004, Oct 5, 2012

You're seeing normal behaviour. The camera always meters the ambient light the same regardless of the flash, then it meters the flash separately. They are independent.

If you want the ambient exposure less bright, use the exposure compensation controls, or better still, use manual mode to set a tighter aperture and/or faster shutter speed (up to 1/200).

If you want the flash exposure less bright, turn down the flash exposure compensation, or switch to manual flash mode and set the level to what you want.

guinness2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,596
Like?
In reply to james004, Oct 5, 2012

Hi,

without being analyzing your specific problem, try to read this:

EOS flash photography confusion

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/index2.html#confusion

james004
Like?
In reply to guinness2, Oct 5, 2012

guinness2 wrote:

Hi,

without being analyzing your specific problem, try to read this:

EOS flash photography confusion

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/index2.html#confusion

Thank you that helps explaine some of the behavior. But not all.

Please see this post since it has more accurate description of my problem.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3278425

I only started the new thread because this one had disappeared while they where doing the update. If a mod would like to delete this thread that would be good. Otherwise I would prefer if this thread was left to die and any responses be added to the new thread.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3278425

Regards,

James

robbert100
Regular MemberPosts: 490Gear list
Like?
In reply to james004, Oct 10, 2012

Hi James,

In the past I encountered a simular problem as you described. After some investigation it turned out the the speedlite wasn't properly attached to the camera (read: not pushed far enough into the hotshoe of the camera) The speedlite fired a flash every time I pushed the shutterrelease button but only at full output.

Best regards,

Rob

www.geckophoto.zenfolio.com

robbert100's gear list:robbert100's gear list
Canon EOS M
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads