New DPR site sucks

Started Oct 3, 2012 | Discussions
mikes
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,023
Like?
AGREED!!!
In reply to ABA DABA, Oct 4, 2012

If DPReview wanted to test this new scheme, they should give us an option to do so, not just slap it on us and expect us to like it. Adding options is good, but taking options away really sucks! And whats with the blurry images now showing up????

-- hide signature --

Only when you can criticize yourself, should you criticize others. Mikes.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Msongs
Contributing MemberPosts: 734
Like?
needs to hilight previously viewd posts....
In reply to mikes, Oct 4, 2012

and why is it DOUBLE SPACING all the lines?

otherwise the changes are not particularly worth it for just reading posts.

having to collapse the threads is just another step being added, a nuisance

when it was not necessary to do so

-- hide signature --

Msongs
batik & digital art, t shirts and more!

greeman
Regular MemberPosts: 318
Like?
Re: New DPR site sucks
In reply to griddi, Oct 4, 2012

Another vote for the old site.  Don't like this one.

Howard
Regular MemberPosts: 136
Like?
In reply to Richard Butler, Oct 4, 2012

R Butler wrote:

We've explicitly asked for feedback because we want to make this into a system that everyone's happy with. We don't want to impse something unwanted on everyone.

Richard - dpreview.com

Well GET RID OF THIS - TOTAL ABOMINATION!!!!!!

Lyle-Mi
Regular MemberPosts: 357Gear list
Like?
Re: Give it some time
In reply to Ho72, Oct 4, 2012

The colors and sizing is horrid.

Lyle-Mi's gear list:Lyle-Mi's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon D90 Nikon D5100 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +3 more
expressivecanvas
Contributing MemberPosts: 760Gear list
Like?
In reply to greeman, Oct 4, 2012

It seems to me that this new forum is not ready for public use.  There are far too many little 'quirks' and annoyances to mention here.  Besides, I did not sign on here to be a website proofreader and editor!

What is really driving me crazy though and worth mentioning is the lack of menus at the bottom of pages...  I am using my mouse to scroll down the page...  read more...  scroll more...  and then when I get waaayyyy down to the bottom of the page my only options to get back to the forum is to either find "f" on my keyboard with my other hand, or I need to scroll all the way back up to the top of the page!  This is a serious web design no-no and an indication that this site is in no way ready for the public.  There should be some sort of navigational menus at the bottom of every page.

One other major annoyance came to mind while writing here...   When I expand a post/photos, this new expanded post ghosts all other posts...  I must then shrink the post and then scroll up again to see the next post (I use flat view...  ALWAYS).    This is a poor design as well.

Seeing the new site in its current condition, I just cannot believe anyone tested out this new site before publishing it to the public.  Very unprofessional.  And, forcing everyone here to do the web designer's job of proofreading is lazy and unprofessional...  and frustratingly annoying.

Patrick

expressivecanvas's gear list:expressivecanvas's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Lyle-Mi
Regular MemberPosts: 357Gear list
Like?
In reply to becasabot, Oct 4, 2012

Agree wholeheartedly.

First USA Today forced their "mobile edition" on everyone, making it an extremely uninviting place to visit. Have to scroll two or three pages because the graphics are so extreme. Now I come here and my eyes hurt! Who thinks up these atrocious color schemes. I haven't even checked out most of the features, can't get past the "In your face" appearance.

Another in a terrible trend.

Lyle-Mi's gear list:Lyle-Mi's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon D90 Nikon D5100 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +3 more
Graystar
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,373
Like?
I wouldn't say suck...but certainly no added value.

1. "Recent Activity" used to list the forum that the post was in, and you could click it to go to that forum.  That's gone.

2. Your own posts standing out within a thread...that's gone.

3. The unread/read indicator is absolutely worthless so...read/unread indication is gone.

Other things...

• Times are still in GMT when all other forums display local time (through a settings)
  • The question/answer feature makes no sense...what if the answer is wrong?
  • The mouseover preview is okay...though not helpful on replies because you just get the quoted text.
  • This editor is annoying because I'm used to the old one's annoyances and now there are new annoyances with no benefits. 

Bottom line...my forum experience has not been enhanced.

EDIT: If I switch to yellow then I get bold/unbold for unread/read.  So they have to fix the blue.

Outside of questions of the design...it's amazing how many programming issues there are.  Wasn't this tested?

dwalby
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,217
Like?
Re: How can I get myself banned?
In reply to Graystar, Oct 4, 2012
No text.
Simon Joinson
dpreview AdminPosts: 4,450Gear list
Like?
Re: I wouldn't say suck...but certainly no added value.
In reply to Graystar, Oct 4, 2012

Graystar wrote:

1. "Recent Activity" used to list the forum that the post was in, and you could click it to go to that forum.  That's gone.

fix coming

2. Your own posts standing out within a thread...that's gone.

fix coming

3. The unread/read indicator is absolutely worthless so...read/unread indication is gone.

fix coming

Other things...

• Times are still in GMT when all other forums display local time (through a settings)
  • The question/answer feature makes no sense...what if the answer is wrong?
  • The mouseover preview is okay...though not helpful on replies because you just get the quoted text.
  • This editor is annoying because I'm used to the old one's annoyances and now there are new annoyances with no benefits. 

Bottom line...my forum experience has not been enhanced.

EDIT: If I switch to yellow then I get bold/unbold for unread/read.  So they have to fix the blue.

Outside of questions of the design...it's amazing how many programming issues there are.  Wasn't this tested?

it was tested, we missed a lot of small (but obviously important) details.

Simon Joinson's gear list:Simon Joinson's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +10 more
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 13,336
Like?
Re: New DPR site sucks- AGREE!
In reply to Leo, Oct 4, 2012

Leo wrote:

ABA DABA wrote:

OK if it ain't broke don't fix it. This new layout is in my opinion GARBAGE

Please go back to what was , the blue on black is irratating, and navagating is also more time wasting. Fire the person that presented thproposed change.

-- hide signature --

ABA DABA

Before was an option to find your posted threads and replies in one-two clicks ....  not anymore. I may quit the Forum

Leo

Surely, it's too early to quit over this.  Designs can change as long as there isn't any intractable stubborness on the part of the designers. . .

Glen Barrington
Like?
That's just silly . . .
In reply to dwalby, Oct 4, 2012

Ban yourself by not coming here

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.jpgmag.com/people/glenbarrington/photos

dwalby
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,217
Like?
Re:yet you felt the need to respond to my obviously rhetorical question
In reply to Glen Barrington, Oct 4, 2012

Glen Barrington wrote:

moron.

Jan Zich - gmail
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?

TEST

Ubilam
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,860
Like?
In reply to Simon Joinson, Oct 4, 2012

I can't play using some other browsers! I get a black screen to type in now if I use an older brwser. Not good. Smacks of upgrading and control for users. I can deal with useful changes and learn to appreciate them when done well and tested, but this is a truly major phuckup, DPR.

-- hide signature --

Question all media always.

Sammy Yousef
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,416Gear list
Like?
Re:yet you felt the need to respond to my obviously rhetorical question
In reply to dwalby, Oct 4, 2012

dwalby wrote:

Glen Barrington wrote:

moron.

I believe he was trying to be humorous. Whether or not he managed to in your eyes, is the name calling necessary?

Glen Barrington
Like?
Being a curmudgeon. . .

I don't really need a reason to hate change.  But in the interest of fairness, I have examined my motivations and have come to the conclusion that I am not indulging in curmedgeonly excess.  There are reasons for my disliking the new design.  many have been pointed out, some have already been fixed.

I got a hunch that the like/dislike voting thing will die an early death.  Just going to cause hard feelings, and be abused.  The grouchy tone of the users of this site has already been set, people will find a way to turn this into a method of spreading ill tempered anger to those of us who are by nature loving and kind.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.jpgmag.com/people/glenbarrington/photos

lylejk
Forum ProPosts: 22,375Gear list
Like?

Posted my opinion (though I was quite crass) at Off Topic, was a little more a gentleman when I posted it at Retouching, and I'll be a gentleman again here.   Let's just say, they messed up.   A better approach would be a BBS format like many other sites allow with BBS tags and such, but the format here is the worse I've run across in all the forums that I frequent (and they are more then a few).   Maybe have a classics option would have been cool (i.e., user has option to post like they always have in the past), but don't think this format allows it unfortunately.    Note my sig below; in order for my image to show up, i have to go through pains to use the image editing option (including dragging image below my prose).   I won't do that so all you will see now is a link; oh well.   

lylejk's gear list:lylejk's gear list
Leica V-LUX 1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W7
Ubilam
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,860
Like?
DPR forums were Unique

ABA DABA wrote:

OK if it ain't broke don't fix it. This new layout is in my opinion GARBAGE

Its not garbage. Its a free website, but..

They tossed out what was unique about DPR! They had a unique way of seeing it! Now these forums are inline and the same with the rest of internet, and that is sad. It was compact and quick to view. Now its endless scrolling up and down with too much stuff. I like some changes like the tool bar and bubble-hover-thing, but the baby drowned with bath water in this change.

What happened to the signatures?

NetMage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,384Gear list
Like?
In reply to Simon Joinson, Oct 4, 2012

NetMage's gear list:NetMage's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Sigma DP1x Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads