Image of dust/oil on my new D600 sensor. Is this acceptable?

Started Oct 3, 2012 | Discussions
Wesbs
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Re: Image of dust/oil on my new D600 sensor. Is this acceptable?
In reply to bodos, Oct 10, 2012

I am hoping that I do not have any issues returning it and exchanging it for a new one, going to do so today.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
caspianm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,691Gear list
Like?
In reply to Wesbs, Oct 10, 2012

Ususally if the spots shot at f22 are round and surrounded by halo it is oil.

Actually I found two major spots on my D800e as well. I will clean it and move on. I hate returning and waiting. And who knows what I get next time.

caspianm's gear list:caspianm's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 7D Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha NEX-3N +6 more
larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,157
Like?
In reply to caspianm, Oct 10, 2012

I would never return a interchangable lens camera just for a few dust bunnies.  At least open the camera up and use a giotto hand blower to remove most or all the dust bunnies.  The in camera vibration mechinism may remove a few loose dust particles, but all cameras will collect dust over time.  If a person doesn't want to clean the sensor, then maybe its time to go to a fixed lens camera.

Once again be careful when changing lenses.  Point camera down in a sanitary place, make sure the mount on the lens is clean, then carefully attach lens.  I do not change lenses outside when the wind is blowing, in dusty areas or places like the beach, asking for a dirty sensor.

If I only have a couple spots that show up when I point the camera at the sky when stopped down I will wait later to clean the sensor.  In most cases the two spots will not show in most of the images that are using lower f stops or not pointed directly at the sky.

Larry

Wesbs
Like?
In reply to larrywilson, Oct 10, 2012

I suppose that is where we differ, I would agree with you if I had the camera for some period of time, I have not had it for a long time, it is brand new, the first image I posted is from the first day I shot with the camera and the spots (again not sure they are dust) were visible at almost all fstops.

At f22 the spots look like something from a nightmare.  So if I understand you correctly you are ok shelling out 2k for a new camera, barely using it, and only barely exposing the sensor for a few seconds in an indoor clean room to put a lens on it and having it be inundated with spots??

I think it makes sense to exchange, especially since other users are saying they don't have issues with spots, does it not make sense to try and move from this camera to another?  It is possible I just got a bad one, no?  Also the battery door seems to have malfunctioned a bit as well.

I will say, that other than the spots, I love the camera, and aside from the spots I find the image quality pretty incredible.

Pearlie
Forum MemberPosts: 94
Like?
In reply to bodos, Oct 10, 2012

bodos wrote:

Sure, if you still within the return period you should. Since you never changed lenses, I would too expect t totally clean camera.

By now you probably had exchanged it anyway. Good luck!

I've seen many camera sensors that is oil....I use Visible Dust smear away liquid works every time

caspianm
Like?

No it is not OK to have oil on the sensor. Nikon needs to get their ast together.

Exchanging it is not a solution either. Most if not all will have the same issue to a degree later if not sooner.

If your camera has no other issue you might be asking for trouble though by exchanging one after another for dirt on the sensor.

Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 7D Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha NEX-3N +6 more
Wesbs
Like?

Appreciate the view that I might be taking a risk in exchanging the camera, but that is what I will be doing, I will report back once done.

caspianm
Like?

Next one will have oil dripping of the tip of the lens! Just kidding! Good luck

Wesbs
Like?

Just completed the exchange, battery charging, fingers crossed.....  Will report back later.

I will say one thing, B&H Photo in NY was great to deal with through this process, was professional, quick and a refreshing experience.

Wesbs
Like?
In reply to Wesbs, Oct 11, 2012

So, have not had the opportunity to really put it through its paces yet, but was able to get some sky shots off to test it a bit.  So far looking much better, there is a spot or two visible at f22, but nowhere near the amount of spotting that was visible with the one I returned.

I do plan on giving it a blow from a cleaning bulb to see if the few minimally visible spots come off, but would not return it based on what I am seeing now.  Basically, I don't generally shoot at f22 much and I doubt I can't really notice anything at f14 or lower with the new camera. On my previous model, lots of spots were clearly visible (right out of the box) at f6.3 so a much bigger issue, at f22 on the one I exchanged it looked like a spot garden, not so with the new one.

I will also go out tomorrow or the next day and shoot more extensively and see if the issue becomes worse as I shoot.

All, in all, still crossing my fingers, but much happier I was able to exchange for this new one.  In case you are wondering, my set up was exactly the same as before, same time mounting the lens and in the same environment/room.

And Again, really impressed with the ease I was able to deal with this with B&H photo in NY, they handled it better than I ever could have hoped for.

Daniel Da Meda
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?
In reply to gobiassumcoffee, Oct 11, 2012

Hi there,

It is nice to find someone with the same problem I have. I bought my D600 on last 24th of September from Jessops here in the UK along with a 24-300 Nikon lens. Since it was a brand new camera, I did not even think about dust spots. I had my D90 for such a long time without any problems... So, I went to the isle of Crete in Greece. In fact, I am still here in Greece quite disappointed so this is why I am writing. I started taking some amazing pictures with the D600. What a nice camera... I then decided to take some pictures above F10...

I have never seem such a huge amount of what I must call debris in a sensor before. Please see the attached pictures. If you cannot see the pictures, please let me know so that I will attempt to find another method of sharing.

Nikon D600 Dust Sample 1@F25

Nikon D600 Dust Sample 2@F25

Nikon D600 Dust Sample 3@F3.5

You must think that I have changed my lenses in the middle of a dirt bike race or something. In fact, I think I may have some OCD when it comes to taking care of my camera. I simply cannot understand how such huge amount of oil/dust got in there. Was it always there since new?

One thing I did was to take quite a lot of shots in time-lapse mode and quite a few successive shots in continuous drive focus mode.

I did not bring my blower to Greece so I have no way of attempting to clean it. I had a look at the filter with the mirror up and cannot see anything.

I have no idea if this is oil or just dust.

So, you are not alone.

I can't wait to go back to the UK so that I can go to Jessops and talk to the guys about it. The camera is around 20 days with very few actuations.

Another disappointment came when I checked the camera price at Jessops yesterday. To my astonishment, the camera I paid £ 1.995 on last September 24th is now £ 330 cheaper.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Daniel Da Meda

Daniel Da Meda's gear list:Daniel Da Meda's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +2 more
Tomaa5b
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to Wesbs, Oct 11, 2012

Please do post your findings.  I am in the exact situation as you.  Two weeks ago I purchased from B&H and received the camera last week.  After 150 or so clicks, I hot spotting exactly like you and others have posted.  After research, and taking into account B&H had an extended shutdown for the holidays, I decided to clean the camera and give it some more time, as I still have 2 weeks before my 30 days are up.  I first tried air with no success, then a static brush with no success, so I wet cleaned the sensor.  After 4 pads using Eclipse the sensor was clean.  I've taken 30 or 40 more pictures with no spotting, but I do expect it to return based on what others have experienced.  I believe the problem will eventually subside if it returns, so probably will not go through the process of exchanging by mail with no guarantee with a different unit, but it is good to hear of your experience at B&H.  I will be interested in knowing how your replacement performs.

Wesbs
Like?
In reply to Daniel Da Meda, Oct 11, 2012

Daniel, unfortunately I cant get to the images to see them.  If you want, there is a way to upload pictures to a gallery on this site, look at the top of this page, and you will see a section called galleries.  It is free to post to up to a certain amount of file space, once you add to the gallery you have an option (icons to the right just above the message box when you are replying) of linking to the photo to be seen in this forum.

I agree about the D90, never had an issue with spots like I had with the D600 I returned.  The new D600 I got is definitely better in relation to the one I exchanged it for, but still not as good as the D90 if I am being honest.

I do plan on using a blower to get rid of the few spots that I see on this new D600.  With the old one, the amount of spotting was so bad and so noticeable, I thought that the best thing to do was to replace it.

Wesbs
Like?
In reply to Tomaa5b, Oct 11, 2012

Tomaa5b, will definitely be giving an update once I get some shooting and get to do some real work with the images.

I'm comforted to know that cleaning worked for you, although I think it a bit less than optimal to have to resort to wet cleaning the sensor when a camera is basically brand new.  Glad it worked out, hoping your images remain clean, please update us as you get more shots in.

Tee1up
Regular MemberPosts: 460Gear list
Like?
In reply to leicaman, Oct 11, 2012

If you change lenses you are going to get dust on your sensor now and then. I'm surprised you didn't just try one of those hand-blowers before posting here, just to see if it is dust. I've used commercial products including a couple wet-clean versions and in general they work pretty well. If you're sheepish you can get it cleaned professionally but it can get expensive over time.

Google: Sensor Swab

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads