Image of dust/oil on my new D600 sensor. Is this acceptable?

Started Oct 3, 2012 | Discussions
leicaman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,411
Like?
Image of dust/oil on my new D600 sensor. Is this acceptable?
Oct 3, 2012

If you can get to my album it contains an image of my D600's sensor. Shot to the clear blue sky at F16 with lens out not set to infinity. Was surprised to see this on a new camera. Is this dust or oil? Should I return the camera?

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/3131150888/invite/7FB6072239A54DC9AF967E067F101778

Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
gobiassumcoffee
Regular MemberPosts: 155
Like?
Re: Image of dust/oil on my new D600 sensor. Is this acceptable?
In reply to leicaman, Oct 3, 2012

I'd personally just order the very minimal supplies (eclipse solution + pec pads) needed to clean it yourself and learn to do it rather than go through the hassle of sending it back. Even if you get a clean one back, it's going to eventually get dirty and I'd rather be able to clean it myself than send it in to Nikon every time. It's quite easy to do; once you get the hang of it (which won't take long) it's a quick 5 minute job that you can do whenever you notice some unwanted grime on the sensor.

Of course, if you don't want to clean it yourself (certainly within your right), you could send it back, but there's no guarantees you're going to get a clean one in return. It doesn't seem this is an area of QC they pay much attention to.

leicaman wrote:

If you can get to my album it contains an image of my D600's sensor. Shot to the clear blue sky at F16 with lens out not set to infinity. Was surprised to see this on a new camera. Is this dust or oil? Should I return the camera?

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/3131150888/invite/7FB6072239A54DC9AF967E067F101778

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
leicaman
Like?
In reply to gobiassumcoffee, Oct 3, 2012

So do you think this is dust or oil?

gobiassumcoffee
Like?

It's definitely one or the other. I thorough cleaning should remove almost all of it (it's always difficult to get every tiny speck of dust off), but if it's oil splattering off the mirror you might have to break the camera in for a while before it stops freckling your sensor.

leicaman wrote:

So do you think this is dust or oil?

leicaman
Like?
In reply to gobiassumcoffee, Oct 3, 2012

Is this a Nikon thing or just an Achilles heel of DSLRs in general?

AllOtherNamesTaken
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,264
Like?

leicaman wrote:

ALL DSLR's can get dust/oil on the sensor. It's really hard to tell if a spot is dust or oil. It takes under 2 minutes and almost zero effort to clean your sensor, just do so whenever it bothers you.

If it's dust, it'll usually but not always blow off, and if it's oil, a quick sensor clean will have it back to new. Nothing to worry about, and normal for every DSLR.

RicksAstro
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,297Gear list
Like?

Like many others have said, just clean it off with a quick wet clean. Takes just a few minutes.

Dust and such can get dislodged in shipping, so even if you have Nikon clean it, more could get on in shipping back and forth.

Yes, it would be great if all new cameras were dust and spot free, but that isn't always the case. And it certainly isn't the case through the life of your camera.

You could either just learn to quickly deal with it and enjoy your camera, or you could get yourself in a send it back cycle of frustration and be without the camera.

I'll use the car analogy...if you bought a new car and there happened to be a block of wood accidentally placed under the accelerator, you could either demand a new car and wait weeks for another and post on a forum that you had a block of wood under your accelerator, or you could simply reach down and remove the block of wood yourself and be on your way.

-- hide signature --
gobiassumcoffee
Like?

Dust on the sensor is a problem for all cameras with removable lenses. Oil would depend on whether you've got a mirror mechanism prone to spraying it, but even if you do it should stop after a sufficient break in period.

Judging from the posts of people with new cameras with dirty sensors, Nikon could certainly do a better job of shipping their cameras out with a clean sensor. But regardless, you're eventually going to get dust on it and it'll need to be cleaned, which is why I recommend doing it yourself since it's a quick and easy process.

leicaman wrote:

bodos
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?

Looks like dust to me, not oil.

maybe it's on your lens. in general, the smaller aperture you use, the more imperfections will come out

bodos's gear list:bodos's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +1 more
Ohnostudio
Regular MemberPosts: 486
Like?

leicaman wrote:

Every DSLR or even micro 4/3 camera I have ever owned has some degree of debris. Sometimes things will be good for the first 200 shots, then things settle in different places after they are shaken up a bit.

kelvintan
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
In reply to Ohnostudio, Oct 4, 2012

i got mine clean within minutes when I pay a visit to Nikon service center and it's FOC

Berghof
Senior MemberPosts: 1,142
Like?
IT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE
In reply to leicaman, Oct 4, 2012

why wouldn't you go back to the seller and get it corrected

-- hide signature --

Berghof G.C.

leicaman
Like?
Re: IT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE
In reply to Berghof, Oct 4, 2012

Almost everyone has said... Just clean it... But I was a bit disappointed to see it.  Why would oil be flying around the  sensor?  Do Canons or D800s have this problem?

bodos
Like?

may sound like a stupid obvious question but, have you tried to do the Sensor Cleaning in the menus?

If you did and it still look dirty, just use compressed air and blow it out. That will probably solve the issue.

I would rather not touch the sensor unless it's absolutely necessary. Especially when you have a brand new (virgin) camera.

Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +1 more
leicaman
Like?
In reply to bodos, Oct 4, 2012

bodos wrote:

may sound like a stupid obvious question but, have you tried to do the Sensor Cleaning in the menus?

If you did and it still look dirty, just use compressed air and blow it out. That will probably solve the issue.

I would rather not touch the sensor unless it's absolutely necessary. Especially when you have a brand new (virgin) camera.

The camera has 60 exposures on it.... The 24-85mm zoom was put on at once and has never been off.  By the uniformity of the artifacts borders it is highly unlikely it is dust we are talking about... more likely some fluid.  I too am a bit hesitant to have someone scrubbing my sensor before I have had a chance to get it dirty myself.  I may bring it back.

Ohnostudio
Regular MemberPosts: 486
Like?

leicaman wrote:

Almost everyone has said... Just clean it... But I was a bit disappointed to see it.  Why would oil be flying around the  sensor?  Do Canons or D800s have this problem?

As stated previously, lots of cameras do. The worst was my Nikon D200. After a good blowing and cleaning, I've only had to clean the sensor two more times in all the time I've had it.

Wesbs
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
In reply to Ohnostudio, Oct 10, 2012

No it is not acceptable, I have issues with dust/oil, not sure which, but from the samples on line I would say my problem might be oil spots as opposed to dust spots.  I have had the sensor to the D600 open only once for about 2 seconds when I mounted the lens on it after taking it out of the box.  So disappointed to see the spots on the images I have.  I have had a D90 for years and before that a D70, never once had an issue with spots, even with numerous lens changes, never felt the need to clean the sensor.

I am going to take the camera back to b&h where I bought it and exchange it and hope that the issue does not repeat.  Again, this is really ridiculous that a new $2,000 camera would have this issue out of the box.  By the way, if it was dust why would not the dust cleaning in the camera take care of it, have tried that multiple times the spots don’t move at all.  My spots are clearly noticeable at f6.3 and become progressively worse as you move through to f22.

To say it should not be a big deal to just clean the sensor with air, or a wet cleaning, is ridiculous, maybe after a year it would be ok, but not after a week.

Wesbs
Like?
In reply to Wesbs, Oct 10, 2012

Here is a sample image, showing one shot at f6.3, as I said the spots become much more noticeable as I move up to higher fs.

D600 spots, very dissapointing, f6.3......Geez!

Wesbs
Like?
In reply to Wesbs, Oct 10, 2012

And another at f9.

Spots on images taken with D600 at f9

bodos
Like?
In reply to leicaman, Oct 10, 2012

Sure, if you still within the return period you should. Since you never changed lenses, I would too expect t totally clean camera.

By now you probably had exchanged it anyway. Good luck!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads