7D for portraits

Started Oct 3, 2012 | Discussions
Keith Z Leonard
Senior MemberPosts: 3,972Gear list
Like?
Re: Go look at the dial
In reply to BAK, Oct 4, 2012

BAK, thanks, this made me laugh, I find it somewhat hard to believe that your over the top level of sarcasm is being misinterpreted as being serious!

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cambomj
Regular MemberPosts: 199Gear list
Like?
In reply to BAK, Oct 4, 2012

BAK wrote:

Go look at the dial on top of the camera.

It does NOT have a little picture of a head.

Little pictures of heads tell people that the camera can take portrait pictures.

If there is no picture of a head, it is pretty obvious that the camera cannot take portraits. If people do not have running shoes on and shirts with numbers, the camera will not click.

Canon has special face recognition that turns the camera off if the potential picture has people who are not moving fast, with a ball or a stick.

The original message came from a poster who did not notice the lack of a head on the dial, but he was suspicious and smart. Good thing he asked the question.

BAK

oh yeah, you're right...I don't know what I was thinking?? Where were you when I bought mine ....I should have looked for the little picture of a head... If I had only known...but wait, the 5D3 doesn't have a little picture of a head, it mustn't be any good either right? What about the 1D series, they must have a little picture of a head?? Surely they would be ok??

I'm sick and tired of the elitist nature of some people (you BAK) on these forums that think that a FF camera is the only option and anything else is supremely inferior. For many of us, we have made the decision to buy our very capable gear with serious money and should not be demeaned by users like you for doing so.

BAK, you sir are an idiot as are your ridiculous posts of illiterate 'wisdom' . I wish DPR had a "little picture of a head" that I can assign to your profile..

cambomj's gear list:cambomj's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +4 more
JerryCurls
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
Re: 7D for portraits
In reply to Keith Z Leonard, Oct 4, 2012

Pair it with good glass and it'll do a great job.  50mm 1.4 or 85mm 1.8 are good places to start.  24-70 would be a nice match as well.

ThomCull
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?
Re: Dial
In reply to J F, Oct 4, 2012

Well said, Bak just seems to be trying to get a rouse out of people.

mtnredhed
Junior MemberPosts: 45Gear list
Like?
In reply to jitteringjr, Oct 5, 2012

jitteringjr wrote:

A full frame camera will give better options for portrait with thinner DOF cababilites, but in order to get the AF system at least as good as the 7D for other shooting, you will have to pay more than 2X more for the 5D3.

The 7D does a fine job at portraits, especially when paired with some good fast portrait primes like a 50/1.4 or 85/1.8.

The 85/1.8 is a great head and shoulders lens and priced (more or less) reasonably as is the 50/1.4

mtnredhed's gear list:mtnredhed's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +5 more
Mark A. Anderson
Regular MemberPosts: 246
Like?
In reply to mtnredhed, Oct 5, 2012

7D does a great job with my EF-S 60mm f/2.8, but it's my only prime to judge by.  I think it's a great alternative to the faster more expensive primes.

Daniel Lee Taylor
Senior MemberPosts: 1,472
Like?
Absolutely fine for portraits
In reply to J F, Oct 5, 2012

Slap a Sigma 50 f/1.4 or Canon 85 f/1.8 on it and you're good to go. If you have Canon flashes with stands and light modifiers, you also have very flexible remote control options straight from the camera LCD. The 7D makes a great portrait DSLR.

J F wrote:

I have read that the 7D is very strong for wildlife, action,etc., but I am curious as to experience on how it handles portrait work. I shoot both indoor with strobes as well as outdoor natural light portraits, and I have been using a 40D. Because of some shutter issues with the 40D I need to get a new camera. Because of some of the other subject matter I shoot, I am interested in the 7D.

BAK
BAK
Forum ProPosts: 18,997
Like?

First of all, are you complaining about a response to you, or a response to some character who called my first response rubbish?

Regardless...

You had the opportunity to post an intelligent question, but chose instead to post one that made no sense.

It is really dumb, dumb, and almost dumb questions that drive good responders away from the forum.

We spend time looking at all or most postings, just to see if we can be helpful.

That takes our time. You wasted it.

Anyone with a 7D should first of all know the answer, and second of all provide some indication of what they think a portrait is, as they intend to create them, if there is some particular weirdness in your plans.

Except it doesn't matter what camera it is, in the world of Digital Single Lens Reflex  cameras.

A good lens, and you already should know a 7D would take any Canon lens, a shutter with various speeds, a diaphram with variable apertures, and a built-in meter is all anyone needs to take excellent portraits.

As long as they add some talent.

SO WHAT'S WRIONG WITH A BAD QUESTION, sucgh as your original, you might asl.

It makes other people think that the bundles of $2000- $5000 worth of hardware is really important, and it takes their attention away from what matters.

Insight matters.

Vision matters

Seeing the light matters

Being a viewer's proxy matters

Presantation of the image matters

Preparation of the subject matters

And there is no little head icon on the dial.

You raise an interesting question about whether or not a nonsensical question or statement should be responded to in a public forum by those us us who actually know stuff.

Or do we just let these questions slide by, to be responded too by people who don't really know that much, but love fuzzy backgrounds and cross points?

Now I will go walk the dog.

BAK

jm67
Contributing MemberPosts: 913
Like?
In reply to BAK, Oct 5, 2012

I haven't spent as much time on these forums or been around as long as many others but I have still seen my share of (sorry but there is no other word for it) somewhat lame questions like this.  You'd think that after three years of the camera being on the market and countless previous posts covering the exact same topic (can a 7D shoot people too, not just birds) that there would be an end to it.  I'm sorry OP, but I just don't understand why you would think the camera is incapable of shooting portraits simply because it excels more than others at following action.  That is simply a function of it's advanced AF system, not because the camera is "made" for that purpose (only).  Heck, there's even yet another thread going right now with someone wondering why their pics are so noisy above iso 300.  While at the same time, there are a couple of threads with people showing off how their 3200 iso shots look great, and they really do.  I can understand why some long time posters here who don't mind sifting through the threads trying to help people might feel as though their heads and brick walls seem to meet, a lot.

Zee Char
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,230
Like?

BAK wrote:

First of all, are you complaining about a response to you, or a response to some character who called my first response rubbish?

Regardless...

You had the opportunity to post an intelligent question, but chose instead to post one that made no sense.

It is really dumb, dumb, and almost dumb questions that drive good responders away from the forum.

We spend time looking at all or most postings, just to see if we can be helpful.

Anyone with a 7D should first of all know the answer, and second of all provide some indication of what they think a portrait is, as they intend to create them, if there is some particular weirdness in your plans.

Except it doesn't matter what camera it is, in the world of Digital Single Lens Reflex  cameras.

A good lens, and you already should know a 7D would take any Canon lens, a shutter with various speeds, a diaphram with variable apertures, and a built-in meter is all anyone needs to take excellent portraits.

It makes other people think that the bundles of $2000- $5000 worth of hardware is really important, and it takes their attention away from what matters.

Insight matters.

Vision matters

Seeing the light matters

You raise an interesting question about whether or not a nonsensical question or statement should be responded to in a public forum by those us us who actually know stuff.

Or do we just let these questions slide by, to be responded too by people who don't really know that much, but love fuzzy backgrounds and cross points?

BAK

Well I remember when I started here in 05 I asked a lot of dumb questions. Probably still do. I don't mind helping out but I do pick and choose. You made some good points and thanks for my morning chuckle. I'm glad you did not say irregardless because I would have stopped reading there

Zee Char
Like?
In reply to jm67, Oct 5, 2012

jm67 wrote:

I haven't spent as much time on these forums or been around as long as many others but I have still seen my share of (sorry but there is no other word for it) somewhat lame questions like this.  You'd think that after three years of the camera being on the market and countless previous posts covering the exact same topic (can a 7D shoot people too, not just birds) that there would be an end to it.  I'm sorry OP, but I just don't understand why you would think the camera is incapable of shooting portraits simply because it excels more than others at following action.  That is simply a function of it's advanced AF system, not because the camera is "made" for that purpose (only).  Heck, there's even yet another thread going right now with someone wondering why their pics are so noisy above iso 300.  While at the same time, there are a couple of threads with people showing off how their 3200 iso shots look great, and they really do.  I can understand why some long time posters here who don't mind sifting through the threads trying to help people might feel as though their heads and brick walls seem to meet, a lot.

Problem is most people do not want to search. They have a specific question and want the answer right away. Comes with living in the age of instant information. Besides a search gives bits and pieces and sometimes it takes far longer to find an answer than it takes to resolve an issue. I hated doing searches when I first started but it is easier now as sifting to get what I need is easier.

I would not same it was a lame question. I was interested in member responses. I responded because I felt like it. I ignore many questions because I decide people can do a little more research or someone else will answer. This is a world wide open forum and will never change. Best thing to do is just pick and choose so our time is not wasted.

MAC
MAC
Forum ProPosts: 12,268Gear list
Like?

jm67 wrote:

+1

both of my 50's are performing quite well on my crop and ff  cameras - f2.2 is golden

Now regarding my 100L, that focal length is mostly for my 5d.  I love these focal lengths with multiple bodies for photographing people - 50 FOV, 80 FOV, 100FOV, 160 FOV. With 4 stop IS on the 100 L and low light f stops on my two 50's.   Then on my third body use the 4 stop 15-85 for wide and the 10-17 FE for ultra wide, and not much more that I need-except the 70-200 for the ceremony

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Y0GI
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,210Gear list
Like?
Re: Absolutely fine for portraits
In reply to Daniel Lee Taylor, Oct 5, 2012

Daniel Lee Taylor wrote:

Slap a Sigma 50 f/1.4 or Canon 85 f/1.8 on it and you're good to go. If you have Canon flashes with stands and light modifiers, you also have very flexible remote control options straight from the camera LCD. The 7D makes a great portrait DSLR.

J F wrote:

I have read that the 7D is very strong for wildlife, action,etc., but I am curious as to experience on how it handles portrait work. I shoot both indoor with strobes as well as outdoor natural light portraits, and I have been using a 40D. Because of some shutter issues with the 40D I need to get a new camera. Because of some of the other subject matter I shoot, I am interested in the 7D.

Or slap an EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM on the 7D and that combination will take a pretty good portrait.

-- hide signature --

Yogi
When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!
See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.
Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
jm67
Contributing MemberPosts: 913
Like?
In reply to Zee Char, Oct 5, 2012

Zee Char wrote:

jm67 wrote:

Problem is most people do not want to search. They have a specific question and want the answer right away. Comes with living in the age of instant information. Besides a search gives bits and pieces and sometimes it takes far longer to find an answer than it takes to resolve an issue. I hated doing searches when I first started but it is easier now as sifting to get what I need is easier.

I understand that.  I must admit that doing searches can be a chore.

I would not same it was a lame question. I was interested in member responses. I responded because I felt like it. I ignore many questions because I decide people can do a little more research or someone else will answer. This is a world wide open forum and will never change. Best thing to do is just pick and choose so our time is not wasted.

I have no qualms with anyone answering, helping or ignoring.  I take the same tact and for the most part, I just read and sometimes I learn something.  I got caught up in BAK's sarcasm and wondered why the OP thinks the 7D wouldn't do for him what the 40D did.  Let me just say I found the question odd and that to the OP I would just say that I have spent 3 years ONLY shooting portraits with a 7D and that yes it can surpass the 40D in many regards.

JamieTux
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,769Gear list
Like?

Hi, I use the 7D and the 5D2 and shoot a lot of portraits and products.
I use a 5D2 and a 7D and I would say that the 7D is the way to go for you - it does portraits much better than the 5D2 does sports and wildlife (if you are using AF tracking or need reliable matrix metering without second guessing it).

Please check my flickr account in my signature for examples!

PS I bought the 5D2 in February and the 7D in May - a lot of the concert photography is with the 7D just because the AF was so much better that it made the noise difference a non issue.

JamieTux's gear list:JamieTux's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +12 more
J F
J F
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?

BAK wrote:

Regardless...

Insight matters.

Vision matters

Seeing the light matters

BAK

I was responding to you.

If you felt this question was beneath you or not clear, you have the option to just go on to the next question. There were a number of people who had helpful things to say. Your comments were not necessary. It would have taken you much less time to simply click the "next" link and see the next posting than the time you spent typing in an answer that was not helpful or respectful.

When someone has an honest desire to learn, it is my opinion no question is a stupid one. Could I have worded my question differently or better? Possibly. If you feel a question doesn't make sense, ask for it to be clarified.

As to the comment on searching the forums before posting, I did try this. I read lots of information about the camera not only on this site but on others as well. Because there is so much information out there, it is difficult to find it among all the noise of unrelated postings. If you feel this has been answered before, then give advice on how to find it so I can learn to weed out all the info I don't want. My desire is to learn, not frustrate others or waste their time.  You had an opportunity to help us both.

At the time I asked this question, I did not have a 7d. I was trying to finalize a big decision for me as to what was the right camera to buy as I have limited funds to spend on gear and in the position that I had to change becuase the shutter button on my current camera is broken. I don't get a chance to buy new gear often, and I wanted to make the most of it.

There is one point I will agree with you on. It is not the gear that makes a good photograph, but the photographer.

Zee Char
Like?

jm67 wrote:

Zee Char wrote:

jm67 wrote:

I understand that.  I must admit that doing searches can be a chore.

I have no qualms with anyone answering, helping or ignoring.  I take the same tact and for the most part, I just read and sometimes I learn something.  I got caught up in BAK's sarcasm and wondered why the OP thinks the 7D wouldn't do for him what the 40D did.  Let me just say I found the question odd and that to the OP I would just say that I have spent 3 years ONLY shooting portraits with a 7D and that yes it can surpass the 40D in many regards.

Valid points. Can be frustrating and you should be able to say what is on your mind.

69chevy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,353
Like?

J F wrote:

I sold mine a while back. It worked well for portraits.

pear52
Senior MemberPosts: 1,227
Like?
In reply to 69chevy, Oct 6, 2012

BAK is right. No head icon on the dial..don't even try a portrait.

Taken with my 7D

SteveJL
Contributing MemberPosts: 882
Like?
In reply to J F, Oct 6, 2012

J F wrote:

Sad to see your question deteriorated so bad in this thread. Don't let it discourage you as far as these forums go, since you are new here and also to the 7D, I see.
My guess is that you have a common (and not necessarily misplaced) perception that people tend to use FF cameras for portrait work, and that the 7D's strengths lie primarily in sports/action work.
The main reason people tend to use FF primarily for portrait work is low-light capability of the larger sensor which allows lower ISO settings, and also some higher detail in the 100%, which allows large-size printing as well as cropping options. There also seems to some camps of thought that some/many FF sensors have a "warmer" look to their photos, but I cannot confirm this as I have never shot with one. Note also that "portrait photographers" may also prefer the lens options that come with FF and relating focal length directly to a 35mm.

Now, the 7D can basically shoot anything you want it to, but being as it is a APS-C, you would have to do the math as to how a given focal length relates to a 35mm equiv. Also, since a APS-C is not as sensitive as a FF, you may have to use a higher ISO when shooting natural light, which may cause a need to use PP to de-noise (if noise is present). Also, if the photo is not as "warm" as desired, but this is easily corrected in PP, just make sure you have a RAW image to work with.

So, to answer your question, yes that 7D can do portrait work no problem. Although I have never owned a 40D, my guess is that you will find the 7D is like your 40D "on steroids"

Keep asking whatever questions you need to here, this is a great resource for learning. Also consider getting David Busch's "Canon EOS 7D Guide" - it is a great book.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads