7D for portraits

Started Oct 3, 2012 | Discussions
J F
J F
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
7D for portraits
Oct 3, 2012

I have read that the 7D is very strong for wildlife, action,etc., but I am curious as to experience on how it handles portrait work. I shoot both indoor with strobes as well as outdoor natural light portraits, and I have been using a 40D. Because of some shutter issues with the 40D I need to get a new camera. Because of some of the other subject matter I shoot, I am interested in the 7D.

Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tom McElvy
Contributing MemberPosts: 875
Like?
Re: 7D for portraits
In reply to J F, Oct 3, 2012

I have used the 7D for almost 2 years now, for darn near everything, including portraits. It is one incredible camera.

Rather than eat up bandwidth here, you can look through my photos at http://imagesbytom.com I believe most everything is identified by camera type
--
Tom McElvy
Virginia Beach VA USA

==================
http://imagesbytom.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JoeAmateur
Regular MemberPosts: 419Gear list
Like?

I like it, but when you get to bodies like the 60D, 7D or Nikon D7000 and better, the lens and shooter probably have more impact than the camera.

-- hide signature --

-Joe

JoeAmateur's gear list:JoeAmateur's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
Keith Z Leonard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,281Gear list
Like?

I thin the 7D is great at just about everything. There are better cameras for this specialty but the 7D is no slouch.

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,520Gear list
Like?
In reply to J F, Oct 4, 2012

Portraiture is my primary use for my 7D. My primary lens is a Tamron SP 28-75MM F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) but I just bought a Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM.

I do recommend a lens that will perform well in low light so that you can get good focus with only modeling lights.

With a good camera holding technique over 90% of the images are tack sharp.  With my Tamron  lens I can see individual eyelashes on a waist up portrait.  If you start with a sharp image you can't go wrong.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
J F
J F
Like?
In reply to Sailor Blue, Oct 4, 2012

Sailor Blue wrote:

Portraiture is my primary use for my 7D. My primary lens is a Tamron SP 28-75MM F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) but I just bought a Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM.

I do recommend a lens that will perform well in low light so that you can get good focus with only modeling lights.

With a good camera holding technique over 90% of the images are tack sharp.  With my Tamron  lens I can see individual eyelashes on a waist up portrait.  If you start with a sharp image you can't go wrong.

I currently have the Canon 24-105, and I do love the lens. I'm probably going to add a faster wide-angle zoom soon as I find when I am trying to shoot in low-light indoors that the 24-105 just isn't fast enough for me. I have to crank up the ISO to get the speed that I need.

BAK
BAK
Forum ProPosts: 19,030
Like?
Nikes, shirts with numbers

The 7D is only a sports camera, ...

BAK

Bananasplit
Regular MemberPosts: 296Gear list
Like?

7D+50mm f1.4 great for portraits

7D + 70-200 f2.8 great for portraits outdoors

FF is better in some conditions as it gives less dof for the same framing.

Bananasplit's gear list:Bananasplit's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Pentax K-5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Rakumi
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,198
Like?

I strongly recommend the 28mm 1.8 for a crop body camera when you need indoor low light shots and need a range of say the entire body to headshots.

-- hide signature --

Darkness is the monster and your shutter is your sword, aperture your shield and iso your armor. Strike fast with your sword and defend well with your shield and hope your armor holds up.

anand53
Contributing MemberPosts: 522Gear list
Like?

J F wrote:

I have read that the 7D is very strong for wildlife, action,etc., but I am curious as to experience on how it handles portrait work. I shoot both indoor with strobes as well as outdoor natural light portraits, and I have been using a 40D. Because of some shutter issues with the 40D I need to get a new camera. Because of some of the other subject matter I shoot, I am interested in the 7D.

This is a very interesting question. Normally it is the lens that is sought for wildlife, portrait, landscape etc...photography.

7D EF S 15-85 3.5-5.6 IS USM

7D EF S 15-85 3.5-5.6 IS USM

anand53's gear list:anand53's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +3 more
cambomj
Regular MemberPosts: 202Gear list
Like?
In reply to JoeAmateur, Oct 4, 2012

JoeAmateur wrote:

I like it, but when you get to bodies like the 60D, 7D or Nikon D7000 and better, the lens and shooter probably have more impact than the camera.

-- hide signature --

-Joe

Nice shot And perfect example of skill and lens more than camera.

The 7D is also my choice and I have good lenses to support it.

cambomj's gear list:cambomj's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +5 more
cambomj
Regular MemberPosts: 202Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikes, shirts with numbers
In reply to BAK, Oct 4, 2012

BAK wrote:

BAK

Rubbish!

cambomj's gear list:cambomj's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +5 more
BAK
BAK
Forum ProPosts: 19,030
Like?
Go look at the dial
In reply to cambomj, Oct 4, 2012

Go look at the dial on top of the camera.

It does NOT have a little picture of a head.

Little pictures of heads tell people that the camera can take portrait pictures.

If there is no picture of a head, it is pretty obvious that the camera cannot take portraits. If people do not have running shoes on and shirts with numbers, the camera will not click.

Canon has special face recognition that turns the camera off if the potential picture has people who are not moving fast, with a ball or a stick.

The original message came from a poster who did not notice the lack of a head on the dial, but he was suspicious and smart. Good thing he asked the question.

BAK

Zee Char
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,253
Like?

Well here is a shot taken @ 1600 ISO. I was shooting formals with my FF and looked over. Not to lose the moment I just swung my 7D with 70-200 F4 around and pulled the trigger. Did not pay attention to exposure or flash output.

Original

With a little LR magic a salvageable image. So to your question with a low ISO and properly exposed image you can create great portraits.

Zee Char
Like?
In reply to Zee Char, Oct 4, 2012

Since the recent changes at DPR my Photobucket linked images look very soft when you click on the image itself. I just discovered that if you click on the View: original size you will see it correctly.

benedictlaig
Regular MemberPosts: 123Gear list
Like?

J F wrote:

It handles portrait work just great. Since the position of the focus points are acceptable, I can use wide open apertures without resorting to focus-recompose techniques.

benedictlaig's gear list:benedictlaig's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX100 IS Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +3 more
jitteringjr
Senior MemberPosts: 2,965Gear list
Like?

A full frame camera will give better options for portrait with thinner DOF cababilites, but in order to get the AF system at least as good as the 7D for other shooting, you will have to pay more than 2X more for the 5D3.

The 7D does a fine job at portraits, especially when paired with some good fast portrait primes like a 50/1.4 or 85/1.8.

jitteringjr's gear list:jitteringjr's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +4 more
Zee Char
Like?
In reply to benedictlaig, Oct 4, 2012

benedictlaig wrote:

J F wrote:

It handles portrait work just great. Since the position of the focus points are acceptable, I can use wide open apertures without resorting to focus-recompose techniques.

Yep. The 7D outer points are very consistent. I use them all the time. I only used centre point on my 5D2 but now use the outers on my 5D3

jitteringjr
Senior MemberPosts: 2,965Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikes, shirts with numbers

BAK wrote:

BAK

BAK wrote:

Little pictures of heads tell people that the camera can take portrait pictures.

If there is no picture of a head, it is pretty obvious that the camera cannot take portraits. If people do not have running shoes on and shirts with numbers, the camera will not click.

Canon has special face recognition that turns the camera off if the potential picture has people who are not moving fast, with a ball or a stick.

The original message came from a poster who did not notice the lack of a head on the dial, but he was suspicious and smart. Good thing he asked the question.

BAK

Well the 7d doesn't have the little dude running on the dial, so its clearly no good for sports either.

jitteringjr's gear list:jitteringjr's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +4 more
J F
J F
Like?
Re: Go look at the dial

BAK wrote:

BAK

BAK- I'm not sure why you chose to post such a demeaning message. I posted to this forum because I thought it was a place where a photographer could turn to other photographers for advice/support and feel comfortable asking any question. I thought that even if people were not "paid" professionals, they could still act professionally. In fact, as I look at the top of my screen and see the first rule for posting to this site it is "be polite and civil."

I am by no means a beginner, and I know how to use my camera to get the effects I want. The reason for the posting of this particular question was because I am debating between the 7d, 6d and the 5dII. While I know that the 6d and 5dII are supposed to be much better for portraits, I am leaning toward the 7d because of some of its other capabilities. Also I can get the 7d along with a new lens for about the same cost as the 6d. I wanted to hear from people who have the camera what their experiences were. I wanted to hear if there were any portrait photographers using the 7d for their work, and if it gave them the quality they were looking for or if they felt it fell short. There is only so much you can learn about a camera from reading the specs they put down on paper.

It is people like you who scare off others from posting and in the process take away a good resource for people to learn. No matter how much experience a person has, you can always learn from others. Next time think about being supportive to a fellow photographer, and if you can't do that then please don't post anything at all.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads