3. Quality of raw processing.
4. Many tools to play with.
Thanks,

Mouser
Senior MemberPosts: 1,877Gear list
Like?
Re: Aperture3.4 VS Capture one Pro 6 VS Lightroom 4
In reply to Margaux04, Oct 3, 2012

Hmm... that's some pretty broad questions about 3 different tools.

Not to be rude, but I think you'd be better reading the reviews and having a play with trial software (where its available), then come back and ask some more specific questions.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
graybalanced
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,948
Like?
In reply to Margaux04, Oct 4, 2012

While I'm not a Capture One user, between Aperture and Lightroom #1 - #3 are about personal opinion enough to be the subject of intense debate in forums. #4 depends on what is important to you, since Lightroom has some key features Aperture does not (like better noise reduction and lens correction), and Aperture does a few things that Lightroom does not (like face recogntion and some semi-obscure organizational features).

Because of all that, it would be best for you to download the free trial versions and see which one you get along with the most. I chose Lightroom.

mgatov
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027Gear list
Like?

I've used both Lightroom and Aperture.  Of the two, I prefer Aperture, though I feel Lightroom gives slightly better results.  Aperture has better integration with Mountain Lion and iPhoto.  But for simple usefulness... I've found Snapseed to be my most 'go-to' program.

mgatov's gear list:mgatov's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D810
Cogset
Senior MemberPosts: 1,221Gear list
Like?

As others said, this is really too broad a topic but I'll throw a few things in:

• Capture One Pro 6 is not an organizer. It is really more of a browser and RAW processor with extra tools. To get the organizational abilities of Lightroom or Aperture, Capture One Pro would need "something else" like their MediaPro application (or some other tool like Photomechanic).
  • Capture One Pro 6 has an excellent keystone correction tool. If you do architecture for instance, you may want this feature. Aperture doesn't have it, not sure about Lightoom.
  • Each tool mentioned is a RAW converter. I think they are all very good now, but you should review and see how you like their conversions. For me, Capture One has more of a "look" when you first open files, you may or may not like it.  But by default, again, before you make adjustments, CP images have a slightly different look.
  • Capture One Pro 6 has the concept of variants: where one raw file can have multiple variants or versions. This is similar to Apertures "versions".
  • Plug-ins: With Aperture and Lightroom you can get plugins (e.g. Nik Color Efex Pro) and use them right from Aperture/Lightroom without having to buy Photoshop.  With CaptureOne Pro, I believe (could be wrong) that you can't get "plug ins" per se,  you must complete the RAW conversion and send to Photoshop for more extensive processing (if needed).  My point is, that if you want some of those extended tools, Aperture/Ligthroom plugins can help you avoid the cost of CS6.... if that matters.
  • Capture one can do a lot with tethered shooting.  If that's important for you, you should research it vs the others. I don't know how the three compare on this topic.
  • Chromatic aberration correction: Capture One pro seems very strong to me.  I haven't compared the noise reduction tools though.
  • They all have free trials I believe, I know it's an investment in time, but you should really run with the free trials and kick the tires. 
  • They all allow "local" adjustments (e.g brush on sharpening or saturation for example)

Regards,

-- hide signature --
 Cogset's gear list:Cogset's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D4s Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +18 more
graybalanced
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,948
Like?
In reply to Cogset, Oct 4, 2012

Cogset wrote:

• Capture One Pro 6 has an excellent keystone correction tool. If you do architecture for instance, you may want this feature. Aperture doesn't have it, not sure about Lightoom.
Lightroom has lens distortion correction that goes beyond simple keystoning. It can correct barrel distortion, vignetting, and chromatic aberration of a lens. In addition, in many cases you do not have to make those corrections manually because it can draw from a database of lenses that have been profiled, or you can make your own lens correction profile. So you apply a lens profile and correct most lens problems instantly, then you can go in and tweak image-specific problems like keystoning.
They recently also upgraded how they do CA/defringing correction, and it's a lot better than it used to be.
Mouser
Senior MemberPosts: 1,877Gear list
Like?
In reply to Margaux04, Oct 10, 2012

This recent podcast from Derrick Story might help:

http://thedigitalstory.com/2012/10/aperture-34-vs-light.html

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads