Started Oct 2, 2012 | Discussions
Oly E10
Contributing MemberPosts: 527Gear list
Like?
E5, Voice Tag.
Oct 2, 2012

I've just read a review of the E5 and the reviewer notes that it's possible

to Voice Tag individual shots.

Is this option really possible and if so how is it accessed?

Thanks to all in advance.

Peter in Canada.

Oly E10's gear list:Oly E10's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 150mm 1:2.0 +1 more
Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
petrbur
Senior MemberPosts: 1,108
Like?
Re: E5, Voice Tag.
In reply to Oly E10, Oct 2, 2012

It is possible to add up to 30 seconds long voice tag to already taken photo.

How to do it was described in users manual on page 94 (EN version - Part 7: " Playback functions " - Chapter " Editing still images "), or search for "Adding sound to still pictures".

-- hide signature --

Petr
Zenfolio gallery at http://medsved.net

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Oly E10
Like?
In reply to petrbur, Oct 2, 2012

Thank you for your very prompt reply, I'll go seeking that page now.

Peter in Canada.

Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 150mm 1:2.0 +1 more
CollBaxter
Forum ProPosts: 12,438Gear list
Like?
In reply to petrbur, Oct 2, 2012

petrbur wrote:

It is possible to add up to 30 seconds long voice tag to already taken photo.

How to do it was described in users manual on page 94 (EN version - Part 7: " Playback functions " - Chapter " Editing still images "), or search for "Adding sound to still pictures".

-- hide signature --

Petr

Well you learn something every day. Thanks for the info. The last camera I had that could do that was a HP 618 PS. Maybe when I am bored in a hide or at the airport I can add some voice.

-- hide signature --

Collin

(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )

http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)

New Seventh Wonder of the World.

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
Oly E10
Like?
In reply to CollBaxter, Oct 2, 2012

Here was little old me thinking you had it all worked out Collin.

I've tried it and it works but I can't get the sound bite to stay with the frame I select.

I'm seeing the sound bite as a separate file from the pic, when I go to select it for

download. Not what I expected. I'm thinking it should be embedded with-in the pic.
I guess I'm not doing something correctly.
So an old dog like myself can learn new tricks, once I get the hang of it.
Peter in Canada.

Pikme
Senior MemberPosts: 1,608Gear list
Like?
Also available with XZ1, EP2 and EM5
In reply to Oly E10, Oct 2, 2012

And probably other cameras that I don't have, such as the EP3 generation.

The audio files are referenced with the photos. In both Olympus Viewer and PhotoMechanic, there are sound icons that show up if there is a sound file that is referenced to the photo. It is possible to play the audio file while viewing the photo right within PhotoMechanic by clicking on the sound icon - probably Viewer, too, but I haven't looked into it. Anyway, it is a very handy tool to use with PhotoMechanic.

IMO, this is another of the many features that would be a big deal if done by one of the bigger companies.

-- hide signature --

Roberto M.

dav
dav
Regular MemberPosts: 107
Like?
Re: Also available with XZ1, EP2 and EM5
In reply to Pikme, Oct 3, 2012

It also plays in Aperture, I just tried it on my E5, has the play option at the top of the info inspector

Must be one of the most unknown features .

Oly E10
Like?
In reply to dav, Oct 3, 2012

Adding sound to a still picture.

My observations so far using Olympus Studio2.:
The photo appears with a musical note icon in the top left corner.
Double click and the sound bite is played.

Using Olympus Viewer2:
Accessing the same photo using Olympus Viewer results in no musical icon.
The attached sound bite is just not there, not even as a stand alone wav, file.

Adobe Bridge CS5:
The photo appears with a stand alone wav file of the sound bite.

Both the photo and the sound bite have the same file name, only the suffix differs
eg, PA0988778.org and PA0988778.wav.

Anyone getting the sound to work using Olympus Viewer2?

Peter in Canada.

Pikme
Like?
In reply to dav, Oct 3, 2012

dav wrote:

It also plays in Aperture, I just tried it on my E5, has the play option at the top of the info inspector

Yes, I can play it in Aperture, too, but not iPhoto.

-- hide signature --

Roberto M.

Pikme
Like?
In reply to Oly E10, Oct 3, 2012

Oly E10 wrote:

My observations so far using Olympus Studio2.:
The photo appears with a musical note icon in the top left corner.
Double click and the sound bite is played.

Are you on Mac or PC? In both Studio 2 and Viewer 2, I can see the musical note icon but can't get it to play. When I double click, it just goes from small images to one large image and vice versa. If we can figure out what option you have turned on/off in Studio, we can probably figure out how to make it work in Viewer.

Peter in Canada.

-- hide signature --

Roberto M.

Pikme
Like?
Figured out Viewer 2 and Studio 2

In Viewer 2, when I'm in the browse window (I think that is what it is), I can select an image and then go up to the very top under the drop down File menu, highlight "Linked Sound" gives me an option to 'Play' or 'Delete' the sound file.

In Studio 2, the same thing except there is no File menu - the Linked Sound option is found under the Olympus Studio 2 drop down menu.

I'm on Mac, BTW.

-- hide signature --

Roberto M.

Oly E10
Like?

Roberto, I'm running Windows7 on a PC.

Running and viewing the photo in Olympus Studio (browse mode) this is what I have see pic. Running ver 2.30 of Studio.

Note the musical note in the top corner. All I have to do is click on the note and the sound bite plays. I can also select the photo and then do File/Linked sound/play.

I can do the same in Olympus Viewer version 1.4, select photo File/Linked sound/play but I can't click on the musical note, because it's not there.

I've checked and compared under "Options" for both softwares and I can't find anything that I suspect might be causing the musical note to NOT appear in Olympus Viewer.
Maybe Viewer is written differently and won't display the note no matter what.

So there we have it, the sound bite can be played in both Olympus Studio and Viewer it's just that Studio makes it easier.

Peter in Canada.

Barry Stewart
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,226Gear list
Like?
Useful old feature, brought back

I had it on my 1999(?) E-100rs... then it skipped a number of generations before coming back. Inclusion of video on the E-5 was key, as there would have otherwise been no need for a built-in microphone.

I use it when I'm taking quick notes for a story I'm working on, such as hiking trails, when it's quicker than using a note pad.

For those not near their manuals: you take a shot and go to shot review. When viewing the photo, press the "okay" button and a screen comes up. Choose the microphone tool and make your recording. Press "okay" to stop recording. You can also re-record or erase the sound.

I'm a Mac user and I also find that iPhoto (2011 version) does not play the sound. The regular Apple viewer does, though.
--
Barry

Barry Stewart's gear list:Barry Stewart's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +9 more
Pikme
Like?
In reply to Oly E10, Oct 4, 2012

Note the musical note in the top corner. All I have to do is click on the note and the sound bite plays. I can also select the photo and then do File/Linked sound/play.

Well, that's interesting.

I get the musical note icon in both Viewer and Studio, although the Viewer version does not have the parentheticals around it.  But clicking on the note merely switches the screen to show that particular image alone, without the note.  Clicking again returns to the browse mode.  The only way I can play the audio files is to go to Sound - play in the drop down menus.

Studio 2 was such a dreadful mess for mac users when it first debuted. Olympus did fix many of the problems, thankfully, but still it is clear that the mac version is second thought.

MercurySoft1
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,768Gear list
Like?
I had no idea...
In reply to Oly E10, Oct 4, 2012

what that was when I did see it in the menu somewhere totally by accident.  I'm very interested it this 'voice tag' capability.  It would come in so handy when photographing works of art, or cars at a car show, etc.  Because, when I get home I can only remember a handful of the titles or makes and years of art and cars.  Or how about at air shows!  Oh I am definitly digging the manual out now.

Thanks so much for bringing this up Oly!

-- hide signature --

Shirl Haden
www.pbase.com/shaden008

MercurySoft1's gear list:MercurySoft1's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus E-520 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +3 more
Messier Object
Senior MemberPosts: 2,932Gear list
Like?
In reply to Oly E10, Oct 5, 2012

Thanks for this info, I had no idea.  I thought I'd read the E-5 manual cover to cover.

The big applciation for this in my shooting will be with OM lenses via the OM-4/3 adapter.  My adapters are all 'chipped' and I have "OM Zuiko" programmed as the lens ID in each adapter, and I program  the focal length and maximum aperture each time I change lenses, but for individual shots I have no EXIF record of the actual aperture used - the EXIF just shows the maximum aperture. With this voice tag feature I can simply speak the aperture used.

Peter

Messier Object's gear list:Messier Object's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III +1 more
Jesan
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?
In reply to Messier Object, Oct 5, 2012

Hi' guyes, my first post here...

But I too use that sound-tag a lot!

Shooting a singing bird in the treetop and unsure of identiti, then just press "review" button,

press OK and choose "mic-signatur". Record the song, - you can do that until you have the sound you want.

Then sitting at computer at home make it possible to put a name on after seeking soundtrack on the net.

What I also do, is using my SD card as "Best-shot-showroom".

I copy my (best) RAW shot over theere, develop and croop it.

Then, maybee a month later, you hear same bird singing, then I find the picture (JPEG on SD-card)

I speach "Blackbird" and record the song.

I guess that you all know how to make a slide-show on the camera?

Put it on a table in front of some people asking what I'm shooting, and let the show run - with names and songs, - that makes a lot of WOW!

Cheers from cold Denmark, Jesper

Jesan's gear list:Jesan's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +16 more
Braxton7
Contributing MemberPosts: 882Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jesan, Oct 5, 2012

When I first saw this thread I wondered why would I ever use that. After reading it I think I'll be using it a lot. I need to read that manual closely someday.

Braxton7's gear list:Braxton7's gear list
Olympus E-410 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads