Full blown photo editing... for iOS

Started Oct 1, 2012 | Discussions
Pasmia
Contributing MemberPosts: 519Gear list
Like?
Full blown photo editing... for iOS
Oct 1, 2012

I'm curious about a full blown photo editing software for iOS. I currently use Adobe PS and LR for OSX but I am entertaining the idea of going pure iOS; meaning, no more computers or laptops.

Is this even remotely possible yet?

threeOh
Regular MemberPosts: 325
Like?
Re: Full blown photo editing... for iOS
In reply to Pasmia, Oct 1, 2012

It's sort of possible but not without some major concessions on your part.

I travel a lot. Months of time each year to interesting places. So, lots of pictures. I've used a 64gb iPad 1 and now a 32gb iPad for over 3 years. I use PhotoGene with the Pro upgrade for editing and iPhoto strictly for creating and uploading to iCloud. If you use another photo site, PhotoGene has excellent upload capability, in batch mode.

Here's some pro's and cons:

Pros:

Light, easy, excellent battery life, superb screen, very good jpeg editing apps available, good usability - the screen size is good, the apps are tailored for touch screen and limited screen real estate, control by touch works fine.

Organization capability is excellent. Folders or albums can be created depending on what app you use. Originals are always maintained in their original state.

Cons:

If you shoot jpeg+raw, you will need to clear your iPad frequently. Another pc/Mac is required to offload your images to whatever storage device you choose. There are a ton of devices offering expanded storage for iPads. I would read a lot before you enter what is a field of devices with major shortcomings that don't get mentioned in the advertising and basically useless web site reviews (complete with links to buy). It's difficult to offload images without a computer. Most of the app approaches fall apart on more than a few fronts with raw files being a major issue.

If the iPad would be your only device, you either don't take many pictures or you will have quite a storage challenge. Yes, there are hard drives that can serve files to the iPad. Can they import? Raw files? How large a drive?

Raw editing is time consuming and, IMO, not worth the hassle. I bought a Fuji X100 which delivers excellent jpeg files. Most liked camera I've had since film days. Many apps can work off the jpeg preview in a raw file, very few can start with a raw file.

There's a lot going in in this area and there may be some decent solutions that I know nothing about.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pasmia
Like?
In reply to threeOh, Oct 1, 2012

Thanks a lot for your reply and grat input. I'll look up some stuff on PhotoGene.

I shoot exclusively in raw, not necessarily because I want to, but mainly because I sort of have to with Lumix m4/3. I do plan on hopping on board with Olympus, but they just don't have a body style that I can live with. If I could sell all my gear, the Fujifilm XE1 is very tempting as well.

With that being said, I'm kind of used to working with raw files. Though I want to get into an Olympus or maybe even Fujifilm, I'm scared that I'm gonna miss the amount of editing that's capable with a raw vs a jpg. So even when I do make the switch, I'll probably be shooting raw+jpg for a while. I just figured all of these cloud solutions would remedy the limited amount of space.

I think the bottom line though is that the technology simply isn't there yet for what I'm looking for. At least not on the iOS architecture. I'll look up some upcoming win8 tablets and their available apps.

Thanks again...

threeOh wrote:

It's sort of possible but not without some major concessions on your part.

I travel a lot. Months of time each year to interesting places. So, lots of pictures. I've used a 64gb iPad 1 and now a 32gb iPad for over 3 years. I use PhotoGene with the Pro upgrade for editing and iPhoto strictly for creating and uploading to iCloud. If you use another photo site, PhotoGene has excellent upload capability, in batch mode.

Here's some pro's and cons:

Pros:

Light, easy, excellent battery life, superb screen, very good jpeg editing apps available, good usability - the screen size is good, the apps are tailored for touch screen and limited screen real estate, control by touch works fine.

Organization capability is excellent. Folders or albums can be created depending on what app you use. Originals are always maintained in their original state.

Cons:

If you shoot jpeg+raw, you will need to clear your iPad frequently. Another pc/Mac is required to offload your images to whatever storage device you choose. There are a ton of devices offering expanded storage for iPads. I would read a lot before you enter what is a field of devices with major shortcomings that don't get mentioned in the advertising and basically useless web site reviews (complete with links to buy). It's difficult to offload images without a computer. Most of the app approaches fall apart on more than a few fronts with raw files being a major issue.

If the iPad would be your only device, you either don't take many pictures or you will have quite a storage challenge. Yes, there are hard drives that can serve files to the iPad. Can they import? Raw files? How large a drive?

Raw editing is time consuming and, IMO, not worth the hassle. I bought a Fuji X100 which delivers excellent jpeg files. Most liked camera I've had since film days. Many apps can work off the jpeg preview in a raw file, very few can start with a raw file.

There's a lot going in in this area and there may be some decent solutions that I know nothing about.

Joseph Jr DeRuvo
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?

Well I am a Profesional Photographer (Weddings, Events and Studio work)

But all of my personal work for the past two years have been shot and editted on the iPhone.
So in part Answear to your question it is doable
Here is are two links
http://www.deruvophotography.com/personalwork
And
http://www.deruvophotography.com/theedgenorwalkconstuction
Now what I would recommend droning is shooting both RAW and jpg
Save the
RAW for files for backup and use the jpgs for tweaking and Editting
My goto app for both iPhone and iPad is FilterStorm
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/filterstorm-pro/id423543270?mt=8
There are not many times when I feel at a loss for my Desktop
Hope this helps

graybalanced
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,953
Like?

It's sobering that I travel with 16GB amd 32GB cards, and yet the largest iPad is only 64GB. Not much offloading/backup is possible before the most expensive iPad is completely full.

The iPad screen is IPS, yet you cannot calibrate it at present, and you will be stuck with 1024x768 resolution. That was the typical desktop resolution of like 10+ years ago...most serious photo apps assume there's more editing area to work with.

Looking at the upcoming Windows tablets may be a reasonable alternative if you can find competent photo apps...the ecosystem is not mature unless you get the tablet that can run full Windows. But then you are no longer saying "no computers."

If I traveled a lot, I would carry a MacBook Air. All the top photo apps run on it, storage expansion is cheap and readily available, a complete no-compromise photo workflow is possible including the ability to drive multiple very large monitors if needed, and it isn't much additional weight and space over a tablet of the same price that can't do nearly as much.

Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,186
Like?
In reply to graybalanced, Oct 2, 2012

graybalanced wrote:

The iPad screen is IPS, yet you cannot calibrate it at present, and you will be stuck with 1024x768 resolution. That was the typical desktop resolution of like 10+ years ago...most serious photo apps assume there's more editing area to work with.

The iPad 3 has a resolution of 2048 x 1536 pixels, on a 9.7 inch screen. Full HDTV resolution is 1920 x 1080 pixels, and typical 24" computer monitor resolution is only about 1920 x 1080 or 1920 x 1200 pixels.

It's true that the iPad 3 doesn't have a large screen, relative to laptops and desktops, and for full-blown image editing (of RAW files, in a full-PhotoShop-like tool at that!) you would want a large screen. But the screen is high-resolution.

threeOh
Regular MemberPosts: 325
Like?
In reply to Tom_N, Oct 2, 2012

Very high resolution and it shows. The inability to calibrate means no printing -- off jpegs -- given raw editing is not well resolved. Or, to attempt to match the look on 100+ different displays people will use to view my pics. All uncalibrated and all of lesser quality. The inability to calibrate is a non-issue.

Off loading is a snap. I've used anything from hotel win boxes to friends laptops. It's a matter of opening ImageCapture on a Mac or using the Windows finder. Export to a flash card, done.

My wife uses an Air and on this trip so far, we've been with people with mbp's, mb's, a mini, an iMac and an hp laptop. Of 900 shots I've kept so far, about 10 raw files have been edited on a mini. It's travel photography, I get excellent jpeg output and I'm willing to turn off my serious side and enjoy the people and the trip. If I did not use an iPad, I would go for an MBP due to I/O alone. When home I use an iMac, never the iPad.

I think you're making the right decision to avoid the iPad as the only solution. However, keep some of the above in mind as any tablet offered today is probably going to have some of the same issues.

Jen Yates
Senior MemberPosts: 1,289
Like?
In reply to Pasmia, Oct 2, 2012

Pasmia wrote:

I'm curious about a full blown photo editing software for iOS. I currently use Adobe PS and LR for OSX but I am entertaining the idea of going pure iOS; meaning, no more computers or laptops.
Is this even remotely possible yet?

I'm an iOS developer and I have to ask you 'Why do you want to use iOS?'

You didn't specify iPad or iPhone but I'll assume you mean iPad.

iPad's are designed as a portable slim device with decent battery life. Because they have this at their core they will never have the CPU 'grunt' or RAM that even an entry level macbook air has. You can do wonders with an iPad but running 'full blown photo editing' that's comparable in features AND speed to a desktop is not what an iPad is about.

One day it wil be possible to have a tablet with the processing power of todays laptop, but by then the laptops will be even more powerful - you won't ever reach equality.

A computer such as the macbook air is designed to meet your needs. It's nearly as small as an iPad, has almost as good battery life but will run 'full blown' photo editing software. It's not an iPad or a tablet but will give you the 'full blown' experience you're looking for.

Caveat: I'm making assumptions about your definition of 'full blown' editing, but based on your statement that you use PS & LR I'm running with the idea that you use these to a large degree of their potential and wouldn't (for example) be as satisfied with 'lesser' applications.

Note: Windows 8 tablets will have all the 'limitations' of an iPad but with the added limitation that Microsoft is several years behind Apple and the app selection may never catch up. Remember not all flavours of windows 8 devices will run 'standard' windows apps and the best windows 8 for tablets 'RT' is restricted like this.

Another option is to look at the mod book, a Mac Laptop modified to turn it into a tablet: http://www.modbook.com/

graybalanced
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,953
Like?
In reply to Tom_N, Oct 3, 2012

I stand very corrected. I'm still on the iPad 2, so I wasn't thinking of the Retina display. The point about it only being a 10" screen still stands, though, because you couldn't actually use the iPad screen as if it was a 2048x1536 desktop monitor because everything would be too small; Retina technology uses the additional pixels mainly to add detail, not work area. The higher resolution does allow a modest increase in workspace up to the point that things get too small for one's eyes.

Tom_N wrote:

graybalanced wrote:

The iPad 3 has a resolution of 2048 x 1536 pixels, on a 9.7 inch screen. Full HDTV resolution is 1920 x 1080 pixels, and typical 24" computer monitor resolution is only about 1920 x 1080 or 1920 x 1200 pixels.

It's true that the iPad 3 doesn't have a large screen, relative to laptops and desktops, and for full-blown image editing (of RAW files, in a full-PhotoShop-like tool at that!) you would want a large screen. But the screen is high-resolution.

Pasmia
Like?
In reply to Jen Yates, Oct 4, 2012

Quite frankly, it's simply for the convenience factor of working on the go where I want and when i want.  Any laptop will require a setup, start-up time, log-in, app loading... blah blah blah.  Desktops require you to be in specific place.   An iPad provides the immediate gratification of getting 5 mins of work done in exactly 5 min.  I also believe swiping and gestures could become more efficient than a mouse or a track pad pertaining to photo editing software, especially one full of sliders.  At home, I use an Intuos tablet, which is amazing! But honestly, if an iPad was just a touch more sophisticated, I wouldn't need it.  Even the pressure sensitive pens of the Intuos should be mimicked by the iPad by now IMHO.

The technology is there, I just know it.  It's just that it's not all in one device yet.  For instance, if anyone is still reading this, I think the Asus EP121 is probably the perfect device for what I am talking about.  Unfortunately, the shortcomings of this device include an abysmal battery life, max HDD of 64GB, and it runs WIN7 (not the most touch friendly OS out there).  Now, i believe the best solution would be to have a couple of batteries for this device on hand, an external HD or a means to tether to a phone network on the go and use a cloud service, and upgrade the device to Windows eight.  But by doing this, you are talking about stacking beta forms of technology upon more beta forms of technology.  I'm more interested in something that's already done and will just work.

BTW, I am familiar with the ModBooks, unfortunately, like Windows7, I do not believe OSX to be a touch friendly OS.  And though still quite tempting, it's kind of expensive for my taste ($3k base).

I just figured, with an iPad3, $800 gets you 64GB of on-board storage, access to the internet for cloud support (yes, I'm aware of network plans and cloud plans as well), and an amazing screen for work on the go.  I really don't mind the size of the screen. My concern though, is that there's still no Ps/Lr combination in the appstore and I was wondering about alternatives.

I'm basically looking for the most  simplest and convenient way to be able to edit photos either on a bus or at a park, that's as quick as single button press, app opened, BOOM, editing away like a pro.

Ultimately though, I'm fairly certain I'm less than six months away from asking this question in a more relevant time.  At most, a year.  With Win8 on the horizon and Christmas season coming, I'm sure we're going to see a flood of new technology that'll provide at least a couple of solutions for me.

Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,186
Like?
In reply to Pasmia, Oct 4, 2012

1. If you're concerned about "time to start working on a laptop", you can boot the laptop, set up the applications, and put it to sleep.  Then you just wake it from sleep and put it back to sleep.

2. You're not likely to see an iPad that can double as an Intuos tablet (or other artist's tablet).  As the success of the iPad demonstrates, you don't need a tablet as sophisticated as an Intuous for a lot of the applications for which people buy iPads.  So adding a high degree of precision, and pen support, and pressure sensitivity, would basically increase the cost of the product while doing relatively little to increase its appeal to the general market.

3. Windows tablets have been around for some time now.  They didn't magically convert mouse-and-keyboard applications into touch screen ones.  Assuming that Intel-based Windows 8 tablets come out that are powerful enough to run Photoshop and Lightroom (with the aid of an external keyboard and mouse), exactly why would one choose one of these over a Windows-based UltraBook?

naurholm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,282
Like?
In reply to Pasmia, Oct 7, 2012

I've been wondering about the Samsung Note 10.1, I like really find the thought of Wacom touch sensitive technology combined with Adobe PS Touch or what they call it build specifically for this tablet interesting. I just see one caveat about it, I can buy a 4gig/128gig or 8gig/64gig 11" Air for the same, there goes the idea.

I have both a 13" MBA 2010 (4gig/128) and an iPad, and I basically use the iPad as go to for reading documents for university and browsing the web. As for creating media on it, simply to troublesome for my world at least.

So to summarize, for your need go with an 11" MBA, it boots in like 8 secs from cold or about 1-2 secs from standby and you can always just leave bridge running or have it on boot and you wont even need to press anything but the power button and you're going.

-- hide signature --

Books make you smart, experience makes you wise, pick your poison.
In vita veritas est (In life truth is)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/naurholm/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads