V1+lens 399 new. The free fall of the value continues...

Started Oct 1, 2012 | Discussions
Paul Pasco
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,375Gear list
Like?
Re: V1+lens 399 new. The free fall of the value continues...
In reply to ThomasH_always, Oct 2, 2012

This is kind of ironic; I would never have paid for a V1/10-30 kit what my family did ($849) when they got me one for Christmas, but after 10 months of use I wouldn't hesitate to buy the same kit for $399 now! I just added a used FT-1 and a used 10mm is on the way.
--
Regards, Paul

Lili's Dad

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D50 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J1 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,862Gear list
Like?

At this price I could no llonger resist! I just ordered the V1.

• Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
Wayne N.
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,979
Like?
In reply to jonikon, Oct 2, 2012

jonikon wrote:

At this price I could no llonger resist! I just ordered the V1.

Resistance was futile! Good for you Jon. I'm happy for you - you're gonna love it (especially at that price - damn!).

Cheers,

Wayne
http://www.pbase.com/wayne_n

Kim Bomstad
Regular MemberPosts: 151
Like?
In reply to jonikon, Oct 2, 2012

Thanks to Nikonrumors I ended up with one V1 on order from that link, nice price to get into the system 1 eaven if there might be a V2 arround the corner...
-kb

Lucas Jarvis
Regular MemberPosts: 465
Like?
In reply to Kim Bomstad, Oct 2, 2012

I bought one too.

I know everyone is rumouring that maybe a V2 is around the corner. But would it be more likely that they just want to sell off the V1 with 10-30 kit so they can then start selling it packaged with their new smaller standard zoom lens?

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Lucas

happypoppeye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,789Gear list
Like?
I saw that but...

I'm in the market for a new, small cmaera for an upcoming trip in November ...saw the link for $399 ...holy cr*d thats cheap ...but still, I can't pull the trigger ...I would almost pay a hundred more, and may, for the new P7700 ...maybe the i system is a bust ...it's not small enough to really warrant buying it compared to an SLR and really doesn't have the IQ to really negate the extra size compared to some of the new compacts coming out ...sort of a in betweener...

ThomasH_always wrote:

V1_kit lens 10-30 VR is now at Adorama for $399, actually for less than J1.

http://www.adorama.com/INK1V1BK.html?emailprice=t&utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=rflaid63773

I just hope its because of the V2 coming up... I would hate to be right about my Nikon 1 downfall prediction, the next Pronea.

-- hide signature --

http://www.wanderinground.wordpress.com
http://www.pbase.com/happypoppeye

It's almost all opinion folks, gonna have to deal with it.

happypoppeye's gear list:happypoppeye's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
wlad
Senior MemberPosts: 1,483
Like?
Re: I saw that but...
In reply to happypoppeye, Oct 2, 2012

happypoppeye wrote:

I'm in the market for a new, small cmaera for an upcoming trip in November ...saw the link for $399 ...holy cr*d thats cheap ...but still, I can't pull the trigger ...I would almost pay a hundred more, and may, for the new P7700

paying $100 more for a P7700 P&S is the single most ridiculous buying decision a man can make.

HZP
HZP
Contributing MemberPosts: 760
Like?
In reply to wlad, Oct 2, 2012

Yep.

Bailey151
Senior MemberPosts: 1,110
Like?

wlad wrote:

paying $100 more for a P7700 P&S is the single most ridiculous buying decision a man can make.

Exactly & while the sensor is only 1" that's still "way more bigger" than a P&S

quezra
Senior MemberPosts: 2,802Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lucas Jarvis, Oct 2, 2012

I think this is part of a realignment of strategy. They were fooling noone but diehard fanboys that they could sell 1" CSCs at $800+, when m4/3 and NEX had $300 bodies competing with them. I suspect that the V2, if it does come soon, will struggle to above $600. It also suggests for all the self-glorifying hype about how well the system is selling, those figures must be massaged or they wouldn't be slashing prices like there's no tomorrow. Still, if the V2 and some good lenses that are absolutely necessary for such a small sensor came out at under $600, this might be a revival. They need to position themselves as the bottom of the CSC tree properly - cheaper, faster, more versatile - all the things a 1" sensor can do that the bigger ones can't. Sigma has already damned them by calling them a non-serious CSC.

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +7 more
ispress
Forum MemberPosts: 96Gear list
Like?
In reply to happypoppeye, Oct 2, 2012

happypoppeye wrote:

I'm in the market for a new, small cmaera for an upcoming trip in November ...saw the link for $399 ...holy cr*d thats cheap ...but still, I can't pull the trigger

I hope you find the camera you're after, but don't assume that the $399 price will last forever. If this is just an inventory reduction strategy to make way for the new (crappier) kit lens, prices will stabilize soon.

And if there's a V1 2 on the way, they'll run out of V1s pretty quick.

Either way, it's not safe to bet that you can scoop up this same deal in a week or two.

ispress's gear list:ispress's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,862Gear list
Like?
In reply to ispress, Oct 2, 2012

ispress wrote:

happypoppeye wrote:

I'm in the market for a new, small cmaera for an upcoming trip in November ...saw the link for $399 ...holy cr*d thats cheap ...but still, I can't pull the trigger

I hope you find the camera you're after, but don't assume that the $399 price will last forever. If this is just an inventory reduction strategy to make way for the new (crappier) kit lens, prices will stabilize soon.

And if there's a V1 2 on the way, they'll run out of V1s pretty quick.

Either way, it's not safe to bet that you can scoop up this same deal in a week or two.

True.This deal won't last long. Amazon is already sold out of the black body V1, as are some other retailers as well.

• Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
MrSkelter
Contributing MemberPosts: 648
Like?
In reply to Bailey151, Oct 2, 2012

I'm skeptical about the huh-end being gone for a few reasons.

1. Nikon need an upgrade path from compact to full-frame and a mirrorless camera. Without one there's no way to offer interchangeable lenses in a compact factor. They'll essentially hand the market to the competition.

2. If the V1 is gone then the price-path goes from J1 to fixed-lens Coolpix and then DSLR. Weird.

I think that they have probably realized the V2 needs premium glass and functionality. Something that can compete against NEX and m4/3 which are now much better bets for enthusiasts.

If they have changed tack they'll either follow Canon, and provide a mirrorless APS-C body with an F-mount, or produce a fixed-lens G1-X competitor. I think thats unlikely though.

Lenses mean lock-in for customers (look at these boards where people go crazy trying to convince others that the system they've invested in is the best because they can't afford to leave it). In the digital age, where bodies only last a few years, it's more important that Nikon knows old customers will think Nikon first because that's what they've got lenses for. Many of us buy whatever compact looks best because there's no downside to flipping brands as soon as a better body appears.

Nikon are very conservative when it comes to estimating sales and when I was working with them would produce cameras to a plan worked out over a year in advance. The plan was always to sell everything and make a few more each year.

If they made a mistake with the V1 - which they likely did given its price and the competition in that space from Sony in particular - they will have a lot of unsold stock. To stay on their plan they'll need to blow it out. If they don't their retail partners won't take the new cameras and, if they do, will fear they'll be stuck with them unable to sell them in a years time.

The vicious drop suggests to me that a V2 (maybe a V3 given the V2-missile connection) is going to be announced before the end of the year.

Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,972
Like?

wlad wrote:

happypoppeye wrote:

I'm in the market for a new, small cmaera for an upcoming trip in November ...saw the link for $399 ...holy cr*d thats cheap ...but still, I can't pull the trigger ...I would almost pay a hundred more, and may, for the new P7700

Oh, hardly.

The N1 isn't small by any means. (P7700 isn't tiny, but a bit more portable). P7700 offers the articulating LCD and a faster lens that makes up for the sensor size, at least in terms of DOF and low light (maybe not in terms of absolute image quality). And it has better external controls.

The V1 offers tremendous value right now. But a great value is still money wasted if it's something you don't really want.

• Dennis

-- hide signature --
myzel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,073Gear list
Like?
In reply to MrSkelter, Oct 2, 2012

MrSkelter wrote:

If they have changed tack they'll either follow Canon, and provide a mirrorless APS-C body with an F-mount, or produce a fixed-lens G1-X competitor. I think thats unlikely though.

I think a DX and FX mirror-less system will be part of Nikons strategy in the not so distant future, but I think it won't replace the Nikon 1 system. Such a system will replace the Nikon dSLRs and this is why it won't happen over night or within the next few months. I don't think that it will have an F-mount (but it surely will have a F-mount adapter).

The vicious drop suggests to me that a V2 (maybe a V3 given the V2-missile connection) is going to be announced before the end of the year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-1_flying_bomb
I think the next EVF Nikon 1 camera will be called V2.

myzel's gear list:myzel's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 32mm f/1.2
Adamant
Regular MemberPosts: 442
Like?
In reply to Dennis, Oct 2, 2012

The N1 isn't small by any means. (P7700 isn't tiny, but a bit more portable). P7700 offers the articulating LCD and a faster lens that makes up for the sensor size, at least in terms of DOF and low light (maybe not in terms of absolute image quality). And it has better external controls.

The V1 offers tremendous value right now. But a great value is still money wasted if it's something you don't really want.

All fair points, but the P7700 is weirdly large -- much larger than the comparable Canon G15. It does have a nice zoom range, though.

Size comparison: http://j.mp/SZGgWp

SunnyFlorida
Contributing MemberPosts: 831Gear list
Like?
Functional Obsolescence is never a good deal
In reply to Adamant, Oct 2, 2012

The Nikon 1 system at any price is not a "good deal" if it will be discontinued. I've seen Oly m4/3 systems selling roughly for $450 and the Oly will definetely be around for years to come, with 3rd party manufacturers like Sigma creating new lenses for the m4/3 system. Not a single 3rd party manufactirer has announced a Nikon 1 lens. Paying $400 for a system that will be discontinued menas the system will be worth $100 in 6 months, IMHO not a smart way to acquire gear.

wlad
Senior MemberPosts: 1,483
Like?
Re: Functional Obsolescence is never a good deal
In reply to SunnyFlorida, Oct 2, 2012

please tell me, why would Nikon kill a product line, which contains one of the best selling CSC cameras ?

DaiG
Senior MemberPosts: 1,024
Like?

I have yet to purchase a camera that hasn't been superceded long before I upgrade / replace it so I don't go into a purchase of a new camera lightly. I have an excellent quality 27-300mm system with the ability to go to an 1100mm lens with my existing lens range. I'm happy with my purchase. Could the V1 be better? Yes. Would I replace it with a V2? No . . perhaps with a V10 though in 7-10 years time . . . .

quezra
Senior MemberPosts: 2,802Gear list
Like?

wlad wrote:

please tell me, why would Nikon kill a product line, which contains one of the best selling CSC cameras ?

If something truly sells well, there is no earthly reason to go 50% below msrp on it. Look at the OMD and Nex 7 - that's what flagships are for, to fly your corporate flag. When you dump your flagship in the bargain bin before announcing a replacement, something must be up. I wouldn't buy a N1 for anything over a cheap P&S until the dust settles and there's some indication what the future of the system is.

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads