Where are the weather sealed lenses? (E-M5)

Started Oct 1, 2012 | Discussions
ThomCull
Junior MemberPosts: 47
Like?
Where are the weather sealed lenses? (E-M5)
Oct 1, 2012

As a person who is in one hell of a predicament (my Canon has gone down, looking for a new compact system) I'm really intrigued by the E-M5 for hiking, fishing, canoeing etc... however it appears that the weather sealed designation is so far limited to the 12-50 and 60 macro (I think).

Does anyone have further insight into the lens development of Olympus with regards to their production weather sealed lenses. I pretty much only want a decent 15-50mm (equiv. focal length) and then a few of the longer lenses already produced for wildlife (wolves, eagles etc).

So, TL;DR -> where is the weather sealed lens selection for the E-M5

Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,429Gear list
Like?
Re: Where are the weather sealed lenses? (E-M5)
In reply to ThomCull, Oct 1, 2012

The EM5 + Pana 12-35/2.8 would be a good hiking combo? Theres also the 35-100/2.8, although, thats not really a tele for wildlife.

ThomCull wrote:

As a person who is in one hell of a predicament (my Canon has gone down, looking for a new compact system) I'm really intrigued by the E-M5 for hiking, fishing, canoeing etc... however it appears that the weather sealed designation is so far limited to the 12-50 and 60 macro (I think).

Does anyone have further insight into the lens development of Olympus with regards to their production weather sealed lenses. I pretty much only want a decent 15-50mm (equiv. focal length) and then a few of the longer lenses already produced for wildlife (wolves, eagles etc).

So, TL;DR -> where is the weather sealed lens selection for the E-M5

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Everdog
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,837
Like?
weather sealed adapter and 4/3rds lenses

Olympus also has a weather sealed adapter and many weather sealed 4/3rds lenses.

azazel1024
Senior MemberPosts: 1,094Gear list
Like?
Re: weather sealed adapter and 4/3rds lenses
In reply to Everdog, Oct 1, 2012

I doubt anyone has any more insite.

Sadly for now, it is limited to the 12-50 and 60 macro. Panasonic 12-35 and 35-100 are also weather sealed.

As for new lenses? Who knows. The 17/1.8 supposedly will not be weather sealed unless Olympus changes its mind. I am still hoping they will create a 25/1.8 at some point and maybe that one would be weather sealed and a kit option for the OM-D line at some point maybe (so maybe I can pick it up with an OM-D E-M6 or E-M7 or something later).

It would be nice if Olympus did a few more weather sealed primes, not just a 60 macro and slow 12-50 zoom lens.
--

Many things dealing with Olympus and their OM and Pen cameras, plus my general photography and musings http://omexperience.wordpress.com/

azazel1024's gear list:azazel1024's gear list
Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +10 more
Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,954Gear list
Like?

ThomCull wrote:

Micro specific lenses from Olympus, you are correct. The Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 is also splash and dust-proof, and many of the Olympus four-thirds lenses, such as the 12-60 f2.8-4, 14-54 f2.8-3.5, the 11-22 f2.8-3.5, both the 50-200 f2.8-3.5 among several are all similarly gasketed and can be used with the sealed MMF-3 adapter. Of course, they're all substanitally bigger and do not AF at the same speed as the micro lenses. I owned several of them and have sold most off for that very reason after deciding to move from the DSLR system to micro four-thirds.

This past Saturday I walked the Arboretum in a pouring rain with the E-M5 and the 12-50. Even with a pancho on, I was drenched after 3 hours and so was the E-M5 and 12-50, with no problems.
--
"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
ThomCull
Like?
In reply to Gregm61, Oct 1, 2012

I was never fond of the idea of adaptors, however I may just have to do that. It's not that I am often soaked on my trip, in fact very rarely, however there are often times when I do tip a canoe, or murphy's law comes swinging into action and I would appreciate having the added protection of weather sealing.

D4ne
Forum MemberPosts: 92Gear list
Like?
In reply to ThomCull, Oct 2, 2012

I think you might be SOL no matter what system you're using* if the canoe tips!

• aside from the obvious underwater housings, etc.

ThomCull wrote:

I was never fond of the idea of adaptors, however I may just have to do that. It's not that I am often soaked on my trip, in fact very rarely, however there are often times when I do tip a canoe, or murphy's law comes swinging into action and I would appreciate having the added protection of weather sealing.

D4ne's gear list:D4ne's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8
ThomCull
Like?
In reply to D4ne, Oct 2, 2012

Haha too true I guess that's an overly extreme example.

azazel1024
Senior MemberPosts: 1,094Gear list
Like?
In reply to ThomCull, Oct 2, 2012

The only Canoe tip protection is be fast and hold the camera over your head and hope the water is shallow enough or you don't submerge too far.

That or store your camera in a water proof bag and hope it is in the bag when the canoe tips.

I've been wanting to do a photographic/backpacking canoe trip for awhile now...but I am dunk shy. A water proof bag would help with that.

Though, I doubt I'll have the time for a couple more years as my kids are 4 1/2, 2 1/2 and 1/2. So, not a lot of spare time.

Personally I want/rely on the splash proofing only to the extent of accidents. With kids and their friends of the age mine are, crap happens. I've had a playmate throw a handful of dirt right in my face/camera while taking pictures (dust proof, CHECK! Thankfully I was using an IF lens), been splashed at the pool (when NOT in the water. Splash proof, CHECK!) and a number of other such incidents in just the short 5 months I have owned the camera.

A weather proofed prime or zoom (medium fast) in the roughly 14-25mm range would be ncie though both for times when such things might occur (and I plan ahead) or for actually using in light rain or snow. It would make me a lot less shy about taking my camera out in anything less then good weather.

ThomCull wrote:

-- hide signature --

Many things dealing with Olympus and their OM and Pen cameras, plus my general photography and musings http://omexperience.wordpress.com/

azazel1024's gear list:azazel1024's gear list
Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +10 more
wolfie
Senior MemberPosts: 2,656
Like?
My question as well!
In reply to azazel1024, Oct 3, 2012

I always take my cameras fishing or hiking - which is why I've killed 4 powershots and one DSLR in the last 6 years ...

The Olympus E-1 with a 14-54 was great as I could take it out wading and it would stand up to saltwater wave splashes while on my hip.

Until the lens selection from Oly/Pana improves my E-P3 travels with me in a dicapac cover which is tolerable for taking pics but means no zooming the lens.

-- hide signature --

Shoot the Light fantastic

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads