Sams Club or Walmart cameras

Started Oct 1, 2012 | Discussions
Bowest
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?
Sams Club or Walmart cameras
Oct 1, 2012

I was going to get a T4i or 7D from sams club or walmart but after talking with some photo freaks I was told that the cameras from Walmart and Sams are not the same quality as one from a better store such as Best Buy or one of the major photo stores online. Is this true? Now I don't want to shop at walmart or sams for a camera.

Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i) Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sunflower6
Regular MemberPosts: 359
Like?
Horsefeathers.
In reply to Bowest, Oct 1, 2012

Bowest wrote:

I was going to get a T4i or 7D from sams club or walmart but after talking with some photo freaks I was told that the cameras from Walmart and Sams are not the same quality as one from a better store such as Best Buy or one of the major photo stores online. Is this true? Now I don't want to shop at walmart or sams for a camera.

They're fulla crap. Don't believe anything else they tell you.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
clearzoom
Senior MemberPosts: 2,595Gear list
Like?
Re: Sams Club or Walmart cameras

that's joke and ridiculous that's not at all.
they are genuine cameras at sams/costco/walmart vs BestBuy.
Canon/Nikon Brand dont make pajamas for outlet

clearzoom's gear list:clearzoom's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony SLT-A99 Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +6 more
B1ackhat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,857Gear list
Like?

The guy at STS told me the the same thing about tires when I asked him to pricematch Sam's Club and it was total BS. WM/Sam's do sell models of electronics that are specifically manufactured for them and often these models are made with inferior parts, but if the model number is exactly the same, it's the same camera.

-- hide signature --

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~ Immanual Kant

CameraCarl
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,421Gear list
Like?
In reply to B1ackhat, Oct 1, 2012

Sometimes Sams Club and Costco sell a previous model of a camera, but, as mentioned, if the model number is the same the camera is the same as you would buy anywhere else.

CameraCarl's gear list:CameraCarl's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
Dimension7
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
In reply to Bowest, Oct 2, 2012

LOL, I heard of this before but they were talking about lenses. A friend of mine had told me not to buy camera lens at Walmart as they are of lower quality. BS!

Marty Too
Senior MemberPosts: 1,051
Like?
In reply to Dimension7, Oct 2, 2012

There were (and may still be) some Sony TV models that were available at Wal-Mart and no where else. The model numbers were different from the lines sold elsewhere.

Years ago I was able to talk Ritz Camera into matching Wal-Mart. I did this when they offered me the extended warranty. I made the deal that I would buy the warranty of they matched the price. This was a film camera purchased in 1999.

BobT
Forum ProPosts: 11,945Gear list
Like?
In reply to Marty Too, Oct 2, 2012

Wal-Mart is considered a very difficult store for a manufactuer to even get into in order to sell their wares. Very competitive, and with a very low profit margin. I have never heard any of this stuff about cameras, but have heard this about tires made by major manufacturers.

tocar
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,182
Like?
Don't believe it..
In reply to Bowest, Oct 3, 2012

WalMart/Sam's, Costco have the same cameras as retail box stores in which you pay higher prices for. I'm a Costco member and they have better return policies than BB or online stores. The only problem is that Costco has limited selections to choose from but they include accessories that other retailers don't include ie memory cards, case and free prints!

whitelioness
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Re: Don't believe it..
In reply to tocar, 3 weeks ago

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm planning on buying an SX50 that Walmart has on clearance right now and just came across the possibility that the components may be of poorer quality. When I looked closer, sure enough the model number at Walmart was 6352B005, and at more reputable camera stores the model number is 6352B001. Any insight into what this may actually mean as far as product quality goes? Or perhaps the price makes up for it anyway ($328 CAD at the moment). 
Thanks!

Sactojim
Senior MemberPosts: 3,301
Like?
In reply to whitelioness, 3 weeks ago

whitelioness wrote:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm planning on buying an SX50 that Walmart has on clearance right now and just came across the possibility that the components may be of poorer quality. When I looked closer, sure enough the model number at Walmart was 6352B005, and at more reputable camera stores the model number is 6352B001. Any insight into what this may actually mean as far as product quality goes? Or perhaps the price makes up for it anyway ($328 CAD at the moment).
Thanks!

Same quality. The model numbering is probably specific to various big box retailers and meaning WM places a big order and the next 10,000 (pick your number) are boxed for them. Other possibility is that WM has the latest or last release of the SX50. Sometimes these numbers mean that a few accessory items like a  bag, SD card, etc. has been included per vendor specs. This numbering system is very common for tablets and laptops and used by many vendors, especially Amazon.

rpm40
Senior MemberPosts: 1,937Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sactojim, 3 weeks ago

I think the last digit may be for different regions? When I googled them, they came up with a different set of retailers, ant 6352B005 seems to send me to a lot of Canadian websites. The 6352B001 number takes me to all my typical us results like walmart, newegg, adorama, b&h, etc.

-- hide signature --

Selling some of my m4/3 gear for those interested: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3643270#forum-post-53343924

rpm40's gear list:rpm40's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +3 more
whitelioness
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to rpm40, 3 weeks ago

Thank you both for the reassurance! Another person I spoke with also thought it may be a regional thing. In any case, I have the camera now

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 15,436Gear list
Like?
In reply to whitelioness, 3 weeks ago

whitelioness wrote:

Thanks!

The cameras at Wal-Mart are produced in the same factory as the cameras at Amazon, Best Buy, B&H, Adorama, or any other dealer.  They do not use lower spec components for different stores.  It would actually cost manufacturers more money to maintain different components and different production lines to do so.

B1ackhat
Like?
In reply to B1ackhat, 3 weeks ago

B1ackhat wrote:

The guy at STS told me the the same thing about tires when I asked him to pricematch Sam's Club and it was total BS. WM/Sam's do sell models of electronics that are specifically manufactured for them and often these models are made with inferior parts, but if the model number is exactly the same, it's the same camera.

-- hide signature --

This. ^

-- hide signature --

Mark B.
Like?

B1ackhat wrote:

B1ackhat wrote:

-- hide signature --

This. ^

-- hide signature --

Sorry, I don't buy it.  I work for a company that sells kitchen appliances & cookware.  We also have models for specific retailers, but it's done by including or excluding accessories, or different colors - not inferior parts.

Sam's Club, Wal-Mart, and other big-box retailers get better pricing because of volume discounts.  The packaging might be different because they buy in pallet quantities, rather than the items being shipped in smaller carton quantities that other retailers get.  That makes the model number they order different, but it's the same product inside the packaging.

B1ackhat
Like?
In reply to Mark B., 3 weeks ago

Mark B. wrote:

B1ackhat wrote:

B1ackhat wrote:

-- hide signature --

This. ^

-- hide signature --

Sorry, I don't buy it. I work for a company that sells kitchen appliances & cookware. We also have models for specific retailers, but it's done by including or excluding accessories, or different colors - not inferior parts.

Sam's Club, Wal-Mart, and other big-box retailers get better pricing because of volume discounts. The packaging might be different because they buy in pallet quantities, rather than the items being shipped in smaller carton quantities that other retailers get. That makes the model number they order different, but it's the same product inside the packaging.

No one stated or implied that all of the store-specific models are made with inferior parts, but some certainly are. Walmart doesn't simply get a discount due to volume pricing. They are well reputed for bullying manufacturers into providing products at specific price points. Walmart-specific TVs are a prime example of models built with inferior parts. Crack one WM-model open alongside the equivalent non-WM model and you will nearly always find metal components replaced with plastic ones, different LCD panels, etc.

p.s. The model number of a product doesn't change whether there is 1 pallet or 1,000.

Sony will soon be selling a line of televisions specifically for Wal-Mart Stores, Target and other discount retailers. (2007 article)

-- hide signature --

Ed B
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,192
Like?

B1ackhat wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

B1ackhat wrote:

B1ackhat wrote:

-- hide signature --

This. ^

-- hide signature --

Sorry, I don't buy it. I work for a company that sells kitchen appliances & cookware. We also have models for specific retailers, but it's done by including or excluding accessories, or different colors - not inferior parts.

Sam's Club, Wal-Mart, and other big-box retailers get better pricing because of volume discounts. The packaging might be different because they buy in pallet quantities, rather than the items being shipped in smaller carton quantities that other retailers get. That makes the model number they order different, but it's the same product inside the packaging.

No one stated or implied that all of the store-specific models are made with inferior parts, but some certainly are. Walmart doesn't simply get a discount due to volume pricing. They are well reputed for bullying manufacturers into providing products at specific price points. Walmart-specific TVs are a prime example of models built with inferior parts. Crack one WM-model open alongside the equivalent non-WM model and you will nearly always find metal components replaced with plastic ones, different LCD panels, etc.

p.s. The model number of a product doesn't change whether there is 1 pallet or 1,000.

Sony will soon be selling a line of televisions specifically for Wal-Mart Stores, Target and other discount retailers. (2007 article)

-- hide signature --

This is kind of an interesting post.

Several years ago I read an article that claimed lawn mowers (specifically Honda) that were sold at big box stores like Lowe's and Home Depot were not the same as those sold by smaller Honda authorized dealers.

The article claimed that the engines weren't exactly the same and the mowers sold in big box store had engines that were built in China and were much cheaper (lower specs).

Never gave it much thought but I guess rumors like this have been around for a long time.

There may be a certain amount of truth to these rumors.

I do know that distributors/manufacturers have to almost give their products to Wal Mart.

Mark B.
Like?

B1ackhat wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

B1ackhat wrote:

B1ackhat wrote:

-- hide signature --

This. ^

-- hide signature --

I think I know more about the company I work for than you do.  Yes, the model number ordered by Sam's, and stocked in our warehouse, is in fact different b/c of the way it's packaged for a pallet shipment.  Same product, but different due to the packaging.

-- hide signature --

A "line" of products is different than putting different components in the same item.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads