Any SX40-SX50 comparison opinions yet?

Started Sep 30, 2012 | Discussions
BobT
Forum ProPosts: 11,973Gear list
Like?
Any SX40-SX50 comparison opinions yet?
Sep 30, 2012

Like to hear from those with both cameras. Is the upgrade REALLY worth it?

What are the big gains (other than focal length), if any? I would upgrade if such a move would indeed be an upgrade. The better resolution of the EVF and LCD would be one important reason. But are there more.
Want to hear from REAL users. Not speculators. Thanks

raywes
Contributing MemberPosts: 600Gear list
Like?
Re: Any SX40-SX50 comparison opinions yet?
In reply to BobT, Oct 1, 2012

I'll have some comparison updates shortly. My sx50 arrives tomorrow. I have been using the sx40 for not quite a year, pretty heavily I might add.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BobT
Like?
In reply to raywes, Oct 1, 2012

I eagerly await your comments on the comparison. Thanks.

Sunflower6
Regular MemberPosts: 359
Like?
Info on shot-to-shot speed would be greatly appreciated.
In reply to raywes, Oct 1, 2012

This is the only info that could make me upgrade from the SX40. TIA for any info you can share on the difference between the two.

BobT
Like?
Re: Info on shot-to-shot speed would be greatly appreciated.
In reply to Sunflower6, Oct 1, 2012

I agree with Sunflower6. Along with my disatisfaction over the quality of the EVF and LCD (of the SX40), I too would like to gain a bit more shot-to-shot speed. I think that if both of those things have been improved noticably, I too might be a SX50 purchaser.

RDCollins
Contributing MemberPosts: 869Gear list
Like?

The reportedly improved EVF is attractive, as are some of the other improvements in the SX50, but I'm concerned about the loss of aperture -- the SX50's lens is 3.4 to 6.5, whereas the SX40 has a 2.7 to 5.8 lens. As I shoot a lot of landscapes, often in relatively low light, this is a deal breaker for me. IMHO, Canon screwed up.

-- hide signature --

Doug Collins
Hermosa Beach, California

BobT
Like?
In reply to RDCollins, Oct 1, 2012

Yes. A significant negative. I agree.

Tim Trzcinski
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?

IMHO you will appreciate the SX50 if you shoot frequently at the long end of the zoom and will utilize the extra zoom and also if you missed shots with SX40 because the AF failed to lock. I love my SX40 but at times I had to use workarounds to get AF and I thought to myself that I'd be in heaven if I had an SX40 that had AF comparable to an FZ150. Well, I think I'm at least part of the way to heaven. The AF is noticeably faster (though it doesn't seem quite as fast as a FZ150) and I find it easier to AF through tight spaces.

If you're looking for other improvements, though, I believe the LCD is the most noticeable. My landscape photos are the same as with the SX40, not disappointing but not improved. I believe RAW will help but the supplied software really doesn't do it justice. I'll wait for an ACR update. The in camera HDR might be nice but I don't carry a tripod with me in the areas I hike and it doesn't work well without one. The Dynamic Range Correction might help a little but I haven't gotten excited about it. The EVF is exactly the same as far as I can tell. High ISO performance seems the same.

In summary, birding and wildlife, yes. Landscape and other photography, probably not. YMMV

BobT
Like?
In reply to Tim Trzcinski, Oct 2, 2012

Is the SX40's failure to lock in AF, a common flaw? I ask only because I recently experienced what might be this very situation. I was atking a lot of fall foliage shots last week, and noticed that a few, maybe 6 or so of many shots taken, were not in focus. In fact, nothing in the shot was in focus. It prompted me to inquire right here in Canon Talk to see if it might have been me, or the camera. This never happened before; and I have used this camera quite a lot.
So is this the start of something worse? Or just some randon occurance?

raywes
Contributing MemberPosts: 600Gear list
Like?
In reply to BobT, Oct 2, 2012

Much longer zoom, more ISO options a new 80 ISO option in particular, a superfine mode, Higher res LCD, are just a few reasons why I upgraded. As far as image quality, I expect it to be on par with the wonderful quality of it's predecessor the sx40.

So far I am studying to see if there is a real difference in image quality but for now I do not see much of one.

Tim Trzcinski
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?
In reply to BobT, Oct 3, 2012

I've never had a problem with focus shooting landscapes with SX40. Only problems were at long distances with subjects of limited texture.

BobT
Like?
In reply to Tim Trzcinski, Oct 3, 2012

Recently experienced this issue while shooting fall foliage. I could see the camera's inabilities if I were simply shooting a cluster of colorful leaves on a tree from a distance, but I always tried to get a branch (something darker) or two in the shot as well. The focus box did turn green and I heard the beep. Still, the image was totally out of focus. Do you think that I still may not have had enough contrast for it? Why did I get the green box and beep, if it wasn't in focus, then? Never experienced this issue until the recent fall foliage shoot.

hannenberg
Regular MemberPosts: 118
Like?
In reply to BobT, Oct 3, 2012

I too have experienced the inexplicably out of focus shot. It happens so inconsistently it's impossible to know why.

For this reason I would have loved to have seen the SX50 come out with a usable manual focus option. I might be old fashioned but there are times when it would be so much easier just to manually focus and not have to trick the camera into focusing on the right object.

The only superzoom that I know of that has decent manual focus is the fuji XS-1, but it has many significant downsides and is expensive.

RDCollins
Like?
In reply to Tim Trzcinski, Oct 3, 2012

Same here -- very few out-of-focus shots with my SX40, except when it's my fault.

I have to wonder if the problems others describe have to do with the camera's settings. I shoot almost exclusively in P mode with the following menu settings:

AF Frame = FlexiZone
AF-Point Zoom = Off
Servo AF + Off
Continuous AF = On
AF-Assist Beam = On
MF-Point Zoom = On
Safety AF = On
Spot AE Point = AF Point

-- hide signature --

Doug Collins

BobT
Like?
In reply to RDCollins, Oct 5, 2012

A couple of months ago I ask a question as to which settings would enable me to have the quickest shot to shot speeds on my SX40.  I'm sorry to say, I can't recall what settings I changed to acheive this.  However, when I think back, I don't recall ever having this current focusing issue prior to when I made those setting changes.  Probably just a coincidence?  The fact remains that I still get the focus box to change to green and hear the audible "beep"; both signs that the image should be locked into focus.......even when it's not.

Just a short time ago, I tried to take a picture of a Blue Jay, and the mis-focus happened again....randomly; as other similar shots were fine.

RDCollins
Like?
In reply to BobT, Oct 5, 2012

BobT wrote:

A couple of months ago I ask a question as to which settings would enable me to have the quickest shot to shot speeds on my SX40.  I'm sorry to say, I can't recall what settings I changed to acheive this.  However, when I think back, I don't recall ever having this current focusing issue prior to when I made those setting changes.  Probably just a coincidence?  The fact remains that I still get the focus box to change to green and hear the audible "beep"; both signs that the image should be locked into focus.......even when it's not.

Just a short time ago, I tried to take a picture of a Blue Jay, and the mis-focus happened again....randomly; as other similar shots were fine.

Bob -- Perhaps you should reset everything to the factory defaults and start over. There's an option on the menu to do that -- it's the last item on the "change camera settings" menu (the middle menu with the wrench and hammer icon).

-- hide signature --

Doug Collins

BobT
Like?

Now why didn't I think of that.  I'll try it, and let you know what happens.

HagaWaga
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
middle menu with the wrench and hammer icon)

It will be so much fun if somebody could change that icon to Hammer and Sickle...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads