B&H Closes soon - Last Chance

Started Sep 30, 2012 | Discussions
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,312Gear list
Like?
B&H Closes soon - Last Chance
Sep 30, 2012

B&H closes in about 15 minutes, for about 10 days. Now or never, Just buy it!

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
ispress
Forum MemberPosts: 96Gear list
Like?
Re: B&H Closes soon - Last Chance
In reply to ryan2007, Sep 30, 2012

Good for them. They obviously lose some business to their competitors due to these closings, but money isn't everything in life.

ispress's gear list:ispress's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
math guy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,313Gear list
Like?
In reply to ispress, Oct 1, 2012

ispress wrote:

Good for them. They obviously lose some business to their competitors due to these closings

And they gain some as well. As long as their price is reasonably close to Adorama and Amazon, I intentionally buy from B&H for this very reason. I respect their decision to stand by their religious beliefs in an age when few would blame them for not doing so.

-- hide signature --

-- Joe S.

"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/josephschmitt

math guy's gear list:math guy's gear list
Pentax K-x Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
daddyo
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,524Gear list
Like?
One of the main reasons they are successful...
In reply to math guy, Oct 1, 2012

One of the main reasons they have been successful is that they operate based on their moral convictions. B&H is an honest, trustworthy company who business reflects an attitude that financial success is a consequence of offering good products, good prices, and good customer service.

A case in point is a recent purchase of an SD card reader I ordered from B&H. The not-so-trustworthy US Postal Service managed to lose track of it in Dallas, TX. About four days after the original estimated delivery date had passed, and the pretty much worthless USPS tracking system showed to tracking updates, I called B&H and spoke to a customer service rep. Without hesitation, he told me that they would ship another one immediately -- via UPS I asked if he needed me to return the original one, should the Post Office ever decide to deliver it, and he told me just to keep it.

That kind of service makes me a loyal B&H customer -- and I refer them business when ever I can.

God Bless,
Greg
http://www.imagismphotos.com
http://www.mccroskery.zenfolio.com
http://www.pbase.com/daddyo

daddyo's gear list:daddyo's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
howardfuhrman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,639
Like?
Re: One of the main reasons they are successful...
In reply to daddyo, Oct 1, 2012

Greg,

I had a similar experience with B&H and they promptly shipped another item, because the first one never arrived. They have excellent customer service.
--
Howard

snowboarder
Contributing MemberPosts: 540
Like?
+1000
In reply to howardfuhrman, Oct 1, 2012

they are great.
Also they have the best real time inventory system,
if something is in stock, you know it.

garypen
Regular MemberPosts: 158Gear list
Like?
In reply to ryan2007, Oct 1, 2012

Waddya mean for 10 days? Succos lasts two days. They're back on Tuesday evening.

ryan2007 wrote:

garypen's gear list:garypen's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS LE Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +5 more
jhoff80
Forum MemberPosts: 93
Like?

Slightly off topic, but I'm generally conflicted about B&H myself. For small items (camera, lenses) I've had excellent experiences.

When I bought a TV from them, I had a horrible experience. And the being closed so often does frustrate me a little, when I'm impatient for my stuff.

I think basically overall I'm fine buying small items from them now, but I wouldn't repeat that experience with something large.

ryan2007
Like?
In reply to garypen, Oct 1, 2012

Its a seven day holiday followed by Simchat Torah where the end of the Torah is completed and they begin reading again from the beginning Genesis. Its a very happy holiday.

Just Google 2012 Jewish Holiday's for a calendar.

garypen wrote:
Waddya mean for 10 days? Succos lasts two days. They're back on Tuesday evening.

ryan2007 wrote:

Fujifilm X-T1
ryan2007
Like?
In reply to jhoff80, Oct 1, 2012

For TV's Crutchfield.com is fantastic for all the electronics. Customer service is great and its lifetime support.

However, I would not buy a camera from them. Unless you know what you want and the same goes for Amazon or Best Buy. Buying what they specialize in is great. When it comes to the extras like Washing Machines so they can compete with Sears or Home Depot.

I would not buy a washing machine from Home Depot, but from a appliance store is the point and B&H is fine for camera or video and all things photography or videography studio lighting etc.

jhoff80 wrote:

Slightly off topic, but I'm generally conflicted about B&H myself. For small items (camera, lenses) I've had excellent experiences.

When I bought a TV from them, I had a horrible experience. And the being closed so often does frustrate me a little, when I'm impatient for my stuff.

I think basically overall I'm fine buying small items from them now, but I wouldn't repeat that experience with something large.

Fujifilm X-T1
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,428Gear list
Like?

ryan2007 wrote:

I would not buy a washing machine from Home Depot, but from a appliance store is the point and B&H is fine for camera or video and all things photography or videography studio lighting etc.

Funny you should say that...over the past 15 years I have bought 2 washers and 2 dryers from appliance stores. I had an absolutely terrible experience with all but the first dryer. Two years ago I bought a new washer and dryer from Home Depot (yes, that makes a total of FOUR washers in 15 years....I gave up on the appliance stores after the second washer started smoking, and bought the third from Costco. That one at least lasted almost 7 years). Things have been perfect so far with the new ones, and I still have three years on the extended warrantee (hopefully I won't have to find out how their service is....). I bought a stove from them last year also, and they did a good job delivering it and setting it up.

When my refrigerator failed last summer, however, I bought one at Best Buy, since they had the model I wanted. That one had a defect and I had to get it exchanged.....Best Buy was okay, but it was just a hassle all around. So, the moral of this story is that I would rather deal with Home Depot for my appliance purchases than any of the local appliance stores......I suppose if I was buying gold-plated appliances I would look elsewhere, but at least in my neck of the woods, they seem to be doing the best job....YMMV, of course.

It's kind of sad how badly things are made nowadays. The fridge that failed last year was only 8 years old. It had replaced an old GE that had just had its 30th birthday....The original washer I replaced when I got my first new one was a good 20 years old (a Kenmore from the 70's). I would have kept using it but the switches in the dial were down to working in only one cycle, and it would have been impossible to get the parts to fix it...The new stove I got replaced a 20 year old one that still worked but was getting a bit tired and slow to heat (and parts were not available for it either). I fully expect this new stove to last maybe 10 years, and the fridge I will consider fortunate if it even gets to 8 like the last one.....I just wish things were made a little bit better....

-J

Leo
Leo
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,015
Like?

I have ordered after and the lens have been shippd today ... sometimes it happened
Leo

Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 33,145Gear list
Like?
best service for Canadians too ... by far
In reply to snowboarder, Oct 1, 2012

Amazon comes close, but BHPhoto wins the prize ... I'd buy everything there if Nikon warranties weren't such a PITA ...
--
http://kimletkeman.blogspot.com

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
garypen
Like?

I don't have to Google anything. Succos is a two-day holiday. B&H will open for ordering again on Tuesday evening.

ryan2007 wrote:

Its a seven day holiday followed by Simchat Torah where the end of the Torah is completed and they begin reading again from the beginning Genesis. Its a very happy holiday.

Just Google 2012 Jewish Holiday's for a calendar.

garypen wrote:

ryan2007 wrote:

Canon PowerShot S120 Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS LE Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +5 more
Kim Letkeman
Like?
both right ... sort of
In reply to garypen, Oct 1, 2012

garypen wrote:

I don't have to Google anything. Succos is a two-day holiday. B&H will open for ordering again on Tuesday evening.

The web site specifies reopening the web site for ordering on Tuesday 2 Oct, but the store remains closed until 10 Oct.

Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Kim Letkeman
Like?

ryan2007 wrote:

I bought a dryer from Home Depot ... wandering about, I saw one for half price. They brought it in and installed it (mediocre work, that, but these are subcontractors anyway.)

It was a generic model that is sold under at least 3 or 4 different brands, and it works great for a lousy $230 bucks. Bought a matching washer from Sears when that croaked too, under another brand

This is in Canada ... YMMV in the USA of course.

garypen
Like?

Cruthcfield is generally way too expensive for most items, usually charging full MSRP. Occasionally, they have good sale prices, especially on outgoing models. But,

If I'm gonna have to wait a week for shipping, anyway, I'll order from B&H. Why bother with anybody else on the east coast, unless it's for inventory reasons?

Amazon used to be my number 1 choice, until they started charging sales tax in CA. So, now they need a much lower base price to compete, for me. Or, if I need it quickly, and the $3.99 for overnight shipping makes the total price competitive.

As for buying major appliances from home stores, those are the only places I've bought appliances in the last few years. Great selection and support for the low-to-mid-range stuff.

I don't buy into shopping at specific stores that specialize in specific types of products, generally. Most salesmen at most stores simply don't have the knowledge. They are salesmen. Their job is to make money, not to be technical experts. That being said, both B&H and Crutchfield do go the extra mile in the knowledge department. The difference is that B&H also offers discount pricing, which Crutchfield does not.

ryan2007 wrote:

For TV's Crutchfield.com is fantastic for all the electronics. Customer service is great and its lifetime support.

However, I would not buy a camera from them. Unless you know what you want and the same goes for Amazon or Best Buy. Buying what they specialize in is great. When it comes to the extras like Washing Machines so they can compete with Sears or Home Depot.

jhoff80 wrote:

garypen
Like?
Re: both right ... sort of
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Oct 1, 2012

True. But, I would venture to guess that most people on this online forum order online vs. in-store from B&H.

Those in the NYC area that need something quickly can still order online, and have it the next day or two via standard UPS ground.

Kim Letkeman wrote:

The web site specifies reopening the web site for ordering on Tuesday 2 Oct, but the store remains closed until 10 Oct.

joesilver
Regular MemberPosts: 346Gear list
Like?
Not to Take This Potentially Way Off-Topic...
In reply to daddyo, Oct 1, 2012

...but I just wanted to note that "religious" does not necessarily equal "moral," and one can certainly be a non-believer and still be moral. In fact, it can be argued that if all that keeps one from doing bad things is that some "holy" book tells you that it's wrong to do so, that constitutes a pretty flimsy basis for morality.

That said, I buy stuff at B&H sometimes, but not because of anything to do with their religion.

joesilver's gear list:joesilver's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +4 more
math guy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,313Gear list
Like?
Re: Not to Take This Potentially Way Off-Topic...
In reply to joesilver, Oct 1, 2012

joesilver wrote:

...but I just wanted to note that "religious" does not necessarily equal "moral," and one can certainly be a non-believer and still be moral. In fact, it can be argued that if all that keeps one from doing bad things is that some "holy" book tells you that it's wrong to do so, that constitutes a pretty flimsy basis for morality.

I agree. If one doesn't personally know the author of that book, then the "good" things aren't really good anyway. But as you said, that is way off topic.

Even so, while my religious beliefs are different from those practiced by B&H, I still appreciate their integrity and willingness to stand by what they believe. It speaks to their trustworthiness, which is very important in business.

-- hide signature --

-- Joe S.

"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/josephschmitt

math guy's gear list:math guy's gear list
Pentax K-x Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads