Canon G15 vs Lumix LX7 vx Nikon 7700 vs Olym XZ-2 :)

Started Sep 30, 2012 | Discussions
clearzoom
Senior MemberPosts: 1,882Gear list
Like?
Canon G15 vs Lumix LX7 vx Nikon 7700 vs Olym XZ-2 :)
Sep 30, 2012
 clearzoom's gear list:clearzoom's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +3 more
Canon PowerShot G15
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Dimitri Khoz
Contributing MemberPosts: 943
Like?
Re: Canon G15 vs Lumix LX7 vx Nikon 7700 vs Olym XZ-2 :)
In reply to clearzoom, Oct 1, 2012

Very nice comparison,

looks like G15 is a clear all-around winner.

It is the smallest, almost the brightest, and with almost the longest zoom reach
in one package.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,096Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dimitri Khoz, Oct 1, 2012

Isn't it a bit early to be declaring winners? We know that the slower G10/11/12 lens delivers very sharp results across the FL range. The new and faster G15 lens is untested at this stage, as are some of the others. Surely it would be preferable to await information about lens quality and about image quality? Even if all are good cameras and good lenses (and they may well be) I suspect that personal preference about swivel screens, OVFs, tele reach and other features may actually influence buyers' decisions. There's nothing like liking a camera and the way it handles in your own hands to make owning it a pleasure.

Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
clearzoom
Like?
In reply to Rod McD, Oct 1, 2012

Rod

i thought the fast lens in G15 will do sharper images than G12 through FL range but I am not expert in this. isnt that true?

Sony Alpha NEX-3 Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +3 more
YiannisPP
Senior MemberPosts: 1,619
Like?

You probably mean sharper due to less handshake blur due to it being faster?

As a rule, for the same budget faster lenses are likely to be "softer" than the equivalent slower one. Meaning it's generally harder to design a fast and sharp lens, than a slower sharp lens.

clearzoom wrote:

Rod

i thought the fast lens in G15 will do sharper images than G12 through FL range but I am not expert in this. isnt that true?

clearzoom
Like?
In reply to YiannisPP, Oct 1, 2012

Yiannis - thks for input
damn, I didnt know this.

so if I care for sharper image than fast lens, should I get G12?
I am debating bet G12 or G15.

also, can you give few cameras model with slower sharp lens. any help is appreciated.
i dont want to be whining after getting one

YiannisPP wrote:

As a rule, for the same budget faster lenses are likely to be "softer" than the equivalent slower one. Meaning it's generally harder to design a fast and sharp lens, than a slower sharp lens.

Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,144Gear list
Like?
Geeezzzzz......

How about waiting for all of the cameras to be released first - and better yet, how about giving 'em a try before prematurely announcing a winner. How can anybody declare a winner unless it's based on a premature sort of fanboyism?

To me, it looks as though all of the latest new announcements from the various brands would be superb performers. Based on my experiences with all of the Canon G series of cameras (currently have the G12) - and with the Olympus XZ-1, I'd be curious to see the XZ-2 when it is released. That camera looks like a winner also.

Keep an open mind to all brands - they just might surprise you. I love the Canon G series - and have also really enjoyed my Nikon P7100. Olympus XZ-1, and Panny LX-5. Am certainly looking forward to see how the G-15, XZ-2, and SX-50 HS perform. But to arbitrarily "proclaim " that one is "obviously" superior to the others is just plain wishful thinking.
--

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 Canon PowerShot G12 +25 more
brianj
Forum ProPosts: 12,981Gear list
Like?

There is only one there with 24mm wide angle, that really narrows the selection for most people, but of course there would be two to choose from if the samsung EX2F had also been shown.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
clearzoom
Like?
In reply to brianj, Oct 2, 2012

Ben
can you answer for this?

""As a rule, for the same budget faster lenses are likely to be "softer" than the equivalent slower one. Meaning it's generally harder to design a fast and sharp lens, than a slower sharp lens""

would G12 have sharper image than G15 then?

Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,144Gear list
Like?
Wow...I wish I could answer you on this one...
In reply to clearzoom, Oct 2, 2012

but unfortunately, I don't have an engineering mindset. Anybody else care to try and answer this question?
--

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 Canon PowerShot G12 +25 more
Dimitri Khoz
Like?
In reply to Rod McD, Oct 2, 2012

Rod McD wrote:

Isn't it a bit early to be declaring winners?

I do not think one need to wait for the camera to be on sale
to realize
that it is smaller, lighter, with the brighter lens, has hotshoe and viewfinder,
and can go over 110mm.

Sharpness is not only component of success.

And even if we start talking about sharpness,

G15 has 2! doublesided! UA (Ultra Aspherical) lenses, 1 onesided UA lens, and 1 UD (ultra low dispersion) lens component!

I am pretty sure that no competitor's camera on today's market has similar ultra-high tech lens structure except Canon G1X that also has 2 double sided UA and 1 onesided UA lens, but lacks UD lens!!!

http://cweb.canon.jp/camera/dcam/lineup/powershot/g15/spec.html

abriwin
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
In reply to Dimitri Khoz, Oct 3, 2012

It still has to compete with the Sony RX100 which has a larger sensor and a brighter lens and smaller body. The only made the camera smaller by getting rid of the vary angles screen, a big mistake IMHO.

abriwin
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
In reply to clearzoom, Oct 3, 2012

OK this doesn't really answer your question but poses others:

Bearing in mind that both the G15 and the P7700 lenses are new designs but seem to be using the same size sensor surely the better value for money would be the P7700 as although they lost the viewfinder which only covered around 80% of a scene, the G15 lost the screen but kept a viewfinder that only covers around 75% of the scene. At least the vari angle screen can be closed protecting the screen from damage.

What's more important, having a smaller camera without a vari angle screen or a larger camera with one.

If a smaller camera with a bigger sensor is what you are after then for almost the same price you could have the widely acclaimed Sony RX100 especially if what you are after is a better IQ.

YiannisPP
Senior MemberPosts: 1,619
Like?
In reply to clearzoom, Oct 3, 2012

clearzoom wrote:

Yiannis - thks for input
damn, I didnt know this.

so if I care for sharper image than fast lens, should I get G12?
I am debating bet G12 or G15.

also, can you give few cameras model with slower sharp lens. any help is appreciated.
i dont want to be whining after getting one

Hi,

Sorry, just saw this now! But in any case I wouldn't have been able to help much as we didn't know how good the G15's lens is. It might well be as good(sharp) as the G12's. I said it's more difficult, but not impossibe! In any case, I see you got the G15 and you shouldn't be whinning I think. No camera is perfect and people are going to whin about it (myself included!), but that's just clutching at straws really. I see a little more noise than I would have hoped in the first samples, but this might be because we got spoiled by the larger sensor cameras like the RX100. Still the few G15 samples I've seen look really good. Enjoy!

Dimitri Khoz
Like?
In reply to abriwin, Oct 3, 2012

abriwin wrote:

It still has to compete with the Sony RX100 which has a larger sensor and a brighter lens and smaller body. The only made the camera smaller by getting rid of the vary angles screen, a big mistake IMHO.

If we compare to RX100,
G15 has 1-2 stop brighter lens across the zoom range.

f2.4 at 100mm vs f4.9 at 100mm

As you can see by multiple Sony posters

that f1.8 is not really usable for RX100 due to soft corners, blooming, purple artifacts. Everyone stops it down to at least f2.4 even at 28mm.

1-2 stops difference in brightness will annihilate RX100's big sensor advantage in low light.

And if you preffer JPEG shooting, Canon's JPEG engine if far superior comparing to one in Sony cameras.

Gwen22
Contributing MemberPosts: 552
Like?
In reply to Dimitri Khoz, Oct 4, 2012

Dimitri Khoz wrote:

abriwin wrote:

If we compare to RX100,

At the end of the range that's true but at WA the RX100 has 1.5 stop advantage

that f1.8 is not really usable for RX100 due to soft corners, blooming, purple artifacts. Everyone stops it down to at least f2.4 even at 28mm.

Lol ! the lens is not perfectly sharp in the corner when wide open but it is trully usable, there is a lot of excellent picture at f1.8 .................... for the G15 nothing is sure for time until serious review arrived.

1-2 stops difference in brightness will annihilate RX100's big sensor advantage in low light.

Depend of the focal.................... WA the RX100 win and at tele the G15 win ....

And if you preffer JPEG shooting, Canon's JPEG engine if far superior comparing to one in Sony cameras.

The 20MP of the Sony mau be usefull for croppind and/or big print such A3 and A+ where the extra difinition is clearly visible.

The G15 may be an excellent camera but it is still too early to be sure.........

tkpatric
Senior MemberPosts: 1,122Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dimitri Khoz, Oct 4, 2012

Dimitri Khoz wrote:

abriwin wrote:

If we compare to RX100,

and do not forget the very bad image stabilisation on the Sony (one stop gain!), while the Canon claims 4 stops!!!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads