Sony 55-300 Comparison

Started Sep 29, 2012 | Discussions
Atgard
Regular MemberPosts: 420Gear list
Like?
Re: The verdict...
In reply to crupp, 9 months ago

crupp wrote:

Thanks for all the hard work with this. I need a longer zoom for kids soccer, tennis, etc. I have an 18-135 which is great. Can get a 55-300 for $135.00, looks like a no brainier.

At that price it definitely is! Where'd you find that deal (if I may ask)?

Atgard's gear list:Atgard's gear list
Sony SLT-A37
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Larnus
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?
Re: Sony 55-300 Comparison
In reply to jcurtistx, 9 months ago

Thanks very much for the review - I found it very useful too! I had the same dilemma with regards to purchasing the same 3 lenses - and decided to go with the Sony! The fact that Sony HK sent a promotion to my e-mail yesterday morning to buy the 55-300 for about $190 helped things greatly too!

At the end of the day, image quality then followed by focus speed is important to me. Up till now I've had to use a Nikon 100-300 AIS F/5.6 - and sorely missed autofocus at the long end. Now I have the perfect match for my free LA-EA2 adapter (thank you again Sony!) for my NEX - and perhaps the lightest lens in this class. Perhaps Sony are finally trying to shed off their expensive reputation or treating their loyal customers better?

Atgard
Regular MemberPosts: 420Gear list
Like?
In reply to jcurtistx, 9 months ago

So far I've been enjoying the Sony 55-300. The IQ seems to be quite good, and it is relatively light & compact for this focal length. I also appreciate the little extra on the wide end (compared to most 70-300 or 75-300 or 100-300 options) -- sometimes it helps you get a shot if you can't swap lenses. Heck, it's almost the same as a 50mm prime, which I use for portraits all the time.

On the down side, it does have a strange autofocus issue where it hunts -- VERY SLOWLY -- in poor light or low contrast. In most situations, it has decent enough AF, but when it can't focus, it will slowly focus all the way in and then out again over the course of a couple seconds. I've never experienced it on any of a dozen A-mount lenses I've used, and it is frustrating when it happens. So much so that when I first got the lens and tried it out indoors in mediocre light, I thought the lens was broken.

Atgard's gear list:Atgard's gear list
Sony SLT-A37
craig66
Regular MemberPosts: 250Gear list
Like?
In reply to Atgard, 9 months ago

Atgard wrote:

On the down side, it does have a strange autofocus issue where it hunts -- VERY SLOWLY -- in poor light or low contrast. In most situations, it has decent enough AF, but when it can't focus, it will slowly focus all the way in and then out again over the course of a couple seconds. I've never experienced it on any of a dozen A-mount lenses I've used, and it is frustrating when it happens. So much so that when I first got the lens and tried it out indoors in mediocre light, I thought the lens was broken.

I've observed the same behavior. Focusing speed can slow to a crawl in poor light. I compared it to my Tamron 200-500 with same subject and lighting. The Tamron locks focus normally. Camera is an A65.

However, this was when I was just trying the lens. I haven't had  a real world problem yet.

craig66's gear list:craig66's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) +3 more
crupp
Forum MemberPosts: 73
Like?
In reply to craig66, 9 months ago

Got my Sony 55-300 today. Very happy with the build quality and size. For a couple hundred bucks its tough to beat.

asa79
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to Larnus, 9 months ago

Larnus wrote:

Thanks very much for the review - I found it very useful too! I had the same dilemma with regards to purchasing the same 3 lenses - and decided to go with the Sony! The fact that Sony HK sent a promotion to my e-mail yesterday morning to buy the 55-300 for about $190 helped things greatly too!

At the end of the day, image quality then followed by focus speed is important to me. Up till now I've had to use a Nikon 100-300 AIS F/5.6 - and sorely missed autofocus at the long end. Now I have the perfect match for my free LA-EA2 adapter (thank you again Sony!) for my NEX - and perhaps the lightest lens in this class. Perhaps Sony are finally trying to shed off their expensive reputation or treating their loyal customers better?

Hi Lamus

Can you share the promotion link?

Larnus
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?
In reply to asa79, 9 months ago

asa79 wrote:

Larnus wrote:

Hi Lamus

Can you share the promotion link?

Hey ASA,

The deal expires tomorrow so you better be quick! They actually had the lens out of stock, but I spoke to customer service (they're actually pretty good here in HK) - and they asked around and called me back 30mins later, to say some NEX users who didn't have LA-EA2 had cancelled their order.

Here's the link.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads