Just Bought EOS-M dual lens kit.

Started Sep 29, 2012 | Discussions
jomabu
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?
Re: Just Bought EOS-M dual lens kit.
In reply to KEG, Oct 23, 2012

I got to play with the EOS M  and PL5 in Osaka yesterday. The auto focus on the pl5 was faster than EOS M using the standard zooms. The PL5 autofocus was much improved over earlier mirrorless cameras. I also looked at a Panasonic with a pancake power zoom. The Panasonic seemed to be slower than the PL5 but faster than the EOS M. The touch screen took some getting used to  but I was able to figure some things out once I found the equivalent of the Q button. It really seemed like a powershot with interchangeable lens capability as others have stated. Was pleased with the size of the M but would miss a view finder (wonder if they could have an accessory one powered by the usb port or a self powered hdmi one?). I thought the tap to focus and shoot was nifty.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
abi170845
Regular MemberPosts: 288
Like?
In reply to jomabu, Oct 25, 2012

I'd guess it will be even slower with the EF/EFS adapter? How about battery life and the availability of spare batteries?There is no way I would buy this thing with only one battery, for heavy usage I'd guess I need at least 4 batteries.

Lk400
Regular MemberPosts: 100
Like?
In reply to abi170845, Oct 25, 2012

abi170845 wrote:

I'd guess it will be even slower with the EF/EFS adapter? How about battery life and the availability of spare batteries?There is no way I would buy this thing with only one battery, for heavy usage I'd guess I need at least 4 batteries.

Unfortunately I dont have any of my lenses here to try with the adapter. Im also pretty interested in performance of those lenses on the EOS-M.

I think you can get spare batteries - but I dont know why you would need 4. The battery life isnt as good as an SLR, but It can get through a day of reasonably heavy shooting and video and still have about 1/2 charge left. I think that one spare would suffice.

Lk400
Like?
In reply to jomabu, Oct 25, 2012

jomabu wrote:

I got to play with the EOS M and PL5 in Osaka yesterday. The auto focus on the pl5 was faster than EOS M using the standard zooms. The PL5 autofocus was much improved over earlier mirrorless cameras. I also looked at a Panasonic with a pancake power zoom. The Panasonic seemed to be slower than the PL5 but faster than the EOS M. The touch screen took some getting used to but I was able to figure some things out once I found the equivalent of the Q button. It really seemed like a powershot with interchangeable lens capability as others have stated. Was pleased with the size of the M but would miss a view finder (wonder if they could have an accessory one powered by the usb port or a self powered hdmi one?). I thought the tap to focus and shoot was nifty.

I agree that it is more like a powershot than an EOS. Im expecting that to change somewhat when i attach my EF/EF-S lenses (I hope im not disappointed).

As for EVF - i cant see it happening, as it doesnt fit with the lack of physical controls / touch screen interface. Canon want us to adapt to a new way of shooting with this model, and having an EVF just doesn't fit with the design of the camera. You simply need physical controls when you are looking through a viewfinder.

Im not against the removal of physical controls or viewfinder on this model, as i dont think of it as an SLR. However that also adds to the the feeling of a powershot over an EOS.

Starshot
Contributing MemberPosts: 764
Like?
In reply to Lk400, Oct 25, 2012

Lk400 wrote:

Just picked up the EOS M (white) + EF-M 22 + EF-M 15-55 IS. Was released here at 9:30am so I went to "have a look" at it. 15 minutes later - I was saying take my money take my money.

Battery charging now, Ill report back later.

sorry to hear that

10s
10s
Regular MemberPosts: 206Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lk400, Oct 26, 2012

What a nice thread this is! I recently bought a 650D/18-135STM combo and the information in this thread reflects my positive experiences with the 650D in liveview and video mode. The touch UI is a joy to use, for P&S upgraders and DSLR veterans alike.

Some are whining about focus speed but for everyday use I find the hybrid focus is pretty good. The spec bragging guys seem to have exchanged megapixels by focus speed "mine is faster than yours". However, no mirrorless comes close to the sports focus tracking of DSLR anyway. And frankly in many cases you don't need that; getting the composition right takes time and focus speed is absolutely no issue then, especially with continuous AF turned on.

I am glad that accurate and responsive focus is made available with touch AF, certainly with shallow DOF, something I cannot easilly do with the DSLR viewfinder. My pictures have improved, and so has my keeper rate.

So Canon managed to get the total package right. For those who care about photography and movie making. Compact usability with style. I like that...

10s's gear list:10s's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +7 more
laquila65i
Regular MemberPosts: 102
Like?
In reply to keeponkeepingon, Oct 26, 2012

keeponkeepingon wrote:

laquila65i wrote:

kellymac60 wrote:

I'm really interested in it. I hope it's faster than the Nikon N1 (I think that's what it's called)
I look forward to your first impressions

No, it's not going to be faster. It's going to be better though. I am a Nikon person myself, but Canon does so many things right. This camera, for instance, is a perfect camera for those who understand. This camera doesn't compete with anybody. It stands on its own. Nikon 1 is trying to compete with Sony NEX and the 4/3 crowd. Canon is doing it right. People today (as stupid as they are) will not appreciate what Canon is doing, but at lest they are doing it. I salute Canon for trying!

Other than canon glass compatibility and slow AF how is this camera any different than the zillion other mirroless options? I'm really curious as I'm heavily (for me) vested in canon but can not see any reason to get this camera. When using the the adapter the overall package is so big I might as well bring along my T2i, and the EOS-M specific lenses are not very exciting.

LK400 thanks for taking the time for these early updates!

One word -- Canon looks. Yes. Canon has this "dream" look to their pictures and I like it a lot. In the digital domain, I like Nikon DSLRs better for their punch, but the Canon look is so unique that I can't dismiss it. Uh, what the heck, I plain love it! I will buy this camera no matter what the reviews say. The whole package just looks right to me. A viewfinder would be really, really nice, but... whatever.

laquila65i
Regular MemberPosts: 102
Like?
In reply to Lk400, Oct 26, 2012

Lk400 wrote:

laquila65i wrote:

Lk400 wrote:

Just picked up the EOS M (white) + EF-M 22 + EF-M 15-55 IS. Was released here at 9:30am so I went to "have a look" at it. 15 minutes later - I was saying take my money take my money.

I think that what you did was stupid, but I would probably do the same if sales people in my country wouldn't be so dumb. Still, Canon cameras are a hate/love situation, so I'll wait for a sucker with a bought-it/didn't like it story. He usually wants to get rid of it so quickly, he drops the price to a ground zero. I'll wait for one of these guys...

Hah stupid it was, risky too. I think that the people who this is aimed at will like it, its more fun and involving than a high end P&S (I compare it to a S95), but maybe not as big a step up as the entry SLRs.

I expect this camera to do well, but it will get marked down in reviews for the focussing (at least on the 22mm). I dont feel like its any faster than the pre production one I played with a few weeks back. However, real world shooting, its barely noticeable to me (note - im not shooting kids or sports).

I've changed my mind. I'm buying one too. As much as I'm into the "real photography" stuff, like viewfinders, film-like colors, I have to admit that I really like the Canon look. This camera seems so balanced: the looks, the size, the perfect lens...I'll buy it. Right now, I envy you

Lk400
Like?
In reply to Starshot, Oct 28, 2012

Starshot wrote:

Lk400 wrote:

sorry to hear that

Why?

Ive been shooting SLRs for 2/3 of my life. Ive been using canon dSLRs since 300D, was previously using a 5DII and 40D, and after my month with the M - I love it. It has its idiosyncrasies, but so does every other camera Ive used. These gives them character.

Photography, after all, is about the image, the camera is just a tool to take the image, and does not need to be perfect in every way imaginable. This particular one allows me portability, but still gives me the creativity to take fun and enjoyable shots. It has its strengths and its weaknesses, and I use it in situations that play to its strengths.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads