Web Hosting for Windows

Started Sep 28, 2012 | Discussions
mstecker
Contributing MemberPosts: 563
Like?
Web Hosting for Windows
Sep 28, 2012

I currently use GoDaddy.com for my web-hosting and am happy with it except they seem to be higher priced than others and do not offer toll-free telephone tech support. It is time to renew, so I wonder if there are better options.
FatCow sound good with a low price, unlimited disk space and bandwidth at:
http://www.fatcow.com/fatcow/special-promo.bml?offer=OPI&#038 ;LinkName=No_Name

but I wonder if anyone has used them and can comment. Any other recommendations will be welcome. I have a rather simple and basic web-site of about 20 GB, using both FrontPage and Dreamweaver to write it on a Windows computer.
--
Mike
http://mstecker.com

Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?
Re: Web Hosting for Windows
In reply to mstecker, Sep 28, 2012

Static HTML pages without MS specific features ( like ASP ) will run on any server OS ( like a LAMP based one ).

-- hide signature --

StephenG

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,754
Like?
In reply to mstecker, Sep 29, 2012

mstecker wrote:

I currently use GoDaddy.com for my web-hosting and am happy with it except they seem to be higher priced than others and do not offer toll-free telephone tech support.

Nobody can provide significant and meaningful telephone tech support at $3-10 per month. I'm sure you'll find folks advertising it, but ask yourself whether they can realistically deliver on that promise. I suggest not.

Trout479
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?

I have a few web pages with GoDaddy and a few with other cut-rate, but highly ranked suppliers. I find that GoDaddy, while not toll-free, they are quick to correct any issues I may be having when I do contact them, which is not too often. One of my other cut-rate accounts has been messing around for about two weeks with server issues, while my sites are still available, I fear that any updating may be lost, so have avoided doing so on those accts. My advice is to find one that you know how to navigate the interface and stick with it. Pennies here and there can easily be lost in learning the new interface, and what might save you $$ on hosting, will be eaten up on some other feature that was included on the previous host. In short, been there, tried it, would probably not repeat it again knowing what I know now.

Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,889
Like?

mstecker wrote:

I currently use GoDaddy.com for my web-hosting and am happy with it except they seem to be higher priced than others and do not offer toll-free telephone tech support. It is time to renew, so I wonder if there are better options.
FatCow sound good with a low price, unlimited disk space and bandwidth at:
http://www.fatcow.com/fatcow/special-promo.bml?offer=OPI&LinkName=No_Name

Note the * by the $3.15/month rate, then scroll down to the very bottom of the page and note the link to the renewal rates by the * there. That link goes to here:

http://www.fatcow.com/knowledgebase/beta/article.bml?ArticleID=1761

Then, the same plan will cost you $6.99 (36 months billed in advance) to $8.99 (for 12 months billed in advance) when you need to renew it.

That's the way most of those price quotes work... get you to sign up at the great looking rate, then charge you 2 or 3 times as much when it's time to renew.

Also, note the disclaimers for "unlimited". Here's a quote from the page about what they mean by "unlimited":

"What happens if I exceed "normal" usage?

If we have concerns about your account's bandwidth or disk space utilization, you will receive an email asking you to reduce usage. Generally, we provide customers with a minimum of 48 hours to make adjustments before taking the account offline."

What does GoDaddy want for renewal? It looks like their Normal rate is around $7.64/month if you go with 36 months with their Deluxe Plan (which offers up to 150GB of disk space, versus "vague" terms about Normal usage when you look at the FatCow disclaimer pages).

http://www.godaddy.com/hosting/web-hosting.aspx?isc=hos3go116b&ci=9009

That's not much more than the 36 Month renewal rate at FatCow (which is $6.99 per month according the page you go to when you click on the link at the bottom showing what it will cost you to renew that $3.15 per month plan)

I get coupon codes from GoDaddy all the time, too (since I have a domain name registered with them) for xx% amount off my next order kind of thing.

So, if you've been happy with their service, I wouldn't be in a huge hurry to switch to a host you have no experience with, just because they have a cheap introductory rate (with introductory being the key word, as their renewal rates are much higher), with vague terminology about disk space and bandwidth usage allowed.

-- hide signature --

JimC

malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,754
Like?
In reply to Jim Cockfield, Sep 29, 2012

Jim Cockfield wrote:

Also, note the disclaimers for "unlimited".

Unlimited (disk space and/or bandwidth) is a joke. Nobody can offer that for real and stay in business.

In fact, if you want great hosting, demand "limited" and expect to pay a lot more for it. You stand a chance of actually getting what you pay for.

For example, I pay $45/mo for a virtual server with 60GB of disk and 3500GB/mo of bandwidth, with quality support. I get a rock solid service within those limits.

/home/malch> uptime
21:59:09 up 486 days, 2:11, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,889
Like?
check your in box for renewal deals from GoDaddy, too

Jim Cockfield wrote:

I get coupon codes from GoDaddy all the time, too (since I have a domain name registered with them) for xx% amount off my next order kind of thing.

You can also find them online at coupon sites. Some of the higher percentage codes are only good for new customers. But, some of them also work for renewals.

For example, I just found one via a Google Search and read customer comments about it, and comments said it worked for renewals. See the comments about the 17% Site Wide code at the top of the list here for example:

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/godaddy.com

But, I'd check your in box first. For example, not long after a renewal notice, I got another one that said 22% off to "renew now."

Then, I got one showing 33% to renew right after that one. I haven't renewed yet. But, that's probably going to be their best offer. lol

See the below screen capture showing the last e-mail (from Wednesday of this week), with a link that would give me 33% off to renew: You can't see the subject line on the screen capture (since I scrolled down past it as not to post my e-mail address). But, it had a subject line of "Be you on the Web - at HUGE savings. Renew and save 33% OFF"

So, you may have something like that in your In Box if you're getting closer to renewal time (the first e-mail I got was just a renewal notice, then the next one was for 22% off to renew now, then the last one I got was for 33% off).

The domain doesn't even expire until towards the end of November. So, they may start hitting you with renewal notices and deals well in advance.

Now, when I look at the "Contact Preferences" under my Account Info there, I am allowing them to send me Promotion stuff. So, I get a lot of junk mail from them with it set that way. But, you may find you get some offers for better deals on renewing if you haven't seen any so far if you change those settings and let them send you junk mail like that. They're sending them to the e-mail address shown under Domain Registration Details (not an address associated with the domain I have with GoDaddy).

-- hide signature --

JimC

digitalshooter
Forum ProPosts: 15,544Gear list
Like?
hopefully they resolved their hack issues (nt)
-- hide signature --

Thanks,

Digitalshooter

PS: all posts are just my opinion!

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
digitalshooter
Forum ProPosts: 15,544Gear list
Like?
I currently have hosting at 3 different providors
In reply to mstecker, Sep 30, 2012

Totalchoicehosting
Just Host
Statrtlogic

I usually use chat or email, because they are quick to get back to you. Low cost means low features including no 800 number, sign of the times.

Totalchoice hosting is used by myself and son for numerous websites, never had any serious issues.

Justhost is a backup used for emergency email when our SWBELL, via yahoo, goes down. Mail is slow coming from them compared to others.

Startlogic was a providor that I personally started using as a "cheap low cost" providor, got what I paid for so I stop bringing new accounts to them and have moved all but one away from them. Did not like their tech support attitude in phone calls and or chat sessions.

Hope this helps.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,

Digitalshooter

PS: all posts are just my opinion!

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
GegeNY
Regular MemberPosts: 118
Like?