XPro1 or XE1

Started Sep 28, 2012 | Discussions
Jeff Seltzer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,720
Like?
If you think...
In reply to Charuteiro, Sep 29, 2012

...the OVF is a "nice to have feature" than you should get the X-E1. It's a must-have feature for me.

Charuteiro wrote:

Hey David, thanks for your post.

I'm wrestling with a decision of the X Pro1 or X-E1. The same issues of OVF and EVF, available fill flash and overall value have me going back and forth between the two cameras. There was a thread this week about the accuracy of frame lines in the X Pro1 OVF that has me questioning if I really need this nice-to-have feature. I guess what I would like is an interchangeable lens X100; I think that's closer to an X-E1 than X Pro1, posting your experience with both helps me with the decision.

Thanks again.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
framus
Contributing MemberPosts: 847Gear list
Like?
Re: XPro1 or XE1
In reply to DRabbit, Sep 29, 2012

It all comes down to what you like for the viewfinder.

I got the X-pro1 in order to have a tool that had a 'rangefinder style' means of creating a picture. I seldom use the EVF. If I want a through-the-lens tool I can use my Canon DSLR (languishing on the shelf).

If you are agnostic about the viewfinder the X-E1 seems like the way to go.

If you know you really want an OVF the X-pro1 is the bees knees.

Some seem to have been frustrated by the OVF as they seem unfamiliar with the effects of parallax and how frame-lines work. Avoid the OVF if you expect DSLR like precision.
-Framus

framus's gear list:framus's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-T1
Eijnaix
Regular MemberPosts: 102
Like?
In reply to Bmat, Sep 29, 2012

Don't get me wrong , I also enjoy pro1 a lot. The IQ of this baby is outstanding....

But just kinda irritate me when I had to worry about the damn aligment , Focus point and composing all at one go. Firmware 2.0 helps a lot in the focus department but I'm sure u do realize sometimes back focus issue still happens despite using selective af points , right ? EVF helps immediate to see the focus is not right and I can instantly refocus . Even that is already time waste , not to mention using OVF where I can't tell if it's really in focus something.

And yeah , your right ....I should had waited. But I wouldn't had sold it for a good price if xe1 is out and confirm better. I'll take the gamble..... lol

Wish me luck

Bmat wrote:

I have an xp1. I enjoy it a lot.

That said, I would have gotten an xe1 if its EVF works well, and the refresh rate works well in practice and it was available. I mainly use the OVF on my xp1, but the EVF isn't all that great on the xp1. So if the EVF is better or equal to the OMDs then I would probably have gotten an xe1 if it had available--since the frame lines at times annoy me on my xp1.

So, I think I would wait if I were you to either see and try an xe1 in person, or at the very least wait for there to be a bevy of user reports in the EVF and any lag on that system.

-- hide signature --

Brian. Too much stuff; not enough stuff.

Eijnaix
Regular MemberPosts: 102
Like?
In reply to framus, Sep 29, 2012

I hate the OVF and bitch about it all day long ....but I never once thought of letting pro1 go ....in fact , I bought it once, sold it telling myself I can't never live with that sh!t and bought the omd. But end up selling omd and getting pro1 back yet lol

This xe1 better delivers the same IQ, I'll be damned if I had to buy back pro1 for the 3rd time

framus wrote:

It all comes down to what you like for the viewfinder.

I got the X-pro1 in order to have a tool that had a 'rangefinder style' means of creating a picture. I seldom use the EVF. If I want a through-the-lens tool I can use my Canon DSLR (languishing on the shelf).

If you are agnostic about the viewfinder the X-E1 seems like the way to go.

If you know you really want an OVF the X-pro1 is the bees knees.

Some seem to have been frustrated by the OVF as they seem unfamiliar with the effects of parallax and how frame-lines work. Avoid the OVF if you expect DSLR like precision.
-Framus

Tony Bonanno
Contributing MemberPosts: 723Gear list
Like?
In reply to Eijnaix, Sep 29, 2012

Hi Amy,

I think I'd stick with the XE-1, especially in light of what you've said about your shooting preferences. I have the X-Pro1 and like it a lot, but the viewfinder is not without its annoyances. First of all, the OVF is not that accurate. It "underframes" the scene considerably (at least it does on my 35mm), meaning that you will have to crop a good bit to duplicate the composition you saw in the VF, so you might as well be shooting a 12MP camera instead of a 16MP camera unless your brain can learn how to ignore the framing line. Secondly, for the style of street shooting I do (which is my main reason for having the Fuji), I need AF to work as fast as possible. For whatever reasons, the EVF locks AF noticeably faster than the OVF, so I find myself using the EVF quite a bit when fast AF is a priority. The bottom line here is that the X-E1's EVF may be the best option. I have an X-E1 on order also and will probably keep both :).

Best wishes,

Tony
--
Tony Bonanno Photography, Santa Fe, New Mexico
ASMP General member.
http://www.bonannophoto.com

Tony Bonanno's gear list:Tony Bonanno's gear list
Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
Artphotoman
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to DRabbit, Jan 12, 2013

I have an x-pro 1 and have been researching the differences as I like the XE-1 size. The only differences i have read or heard (other than the obvi physical specs) are that the EVF on e XE-1 might not work sufficiently for low light shooting but that the XE-1 has a fasting processing time. has anyone experienced these diffs?

bblam88
New MemberPosts: 20Gear list
Like?
In reply to Artphotoman, Jan 13, 2013

Artphotoman wrote:

I have an x-pro 1 and have been researching the differences as I like the XE-1 size. The only differences i have read or heard (other than the obvi physical specs) are that the EVF on e XE-1 might not work sufficiently for low light shooting but that the XE-1 has a fasting processing time. has anyone experienced these diffs?

I had an xp1 then went to an xe1 and then back to the xp1. I found that I only use the evf and didn't notice a huge difference between the two. I like the look, feel and larger size of the xp1. Another reason is the larger and higher resolution LCD. The xp1 is seems to be better built. I don't notice any difference in response or processing.

bblam88's gear list:bblam88's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90
bblam88
New MemberPosts: 20Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tony Bonanno, Jan 13, 2013

Tony Bonanno wrote:

Hi Amy,

I think I'd stick with the XE-1, especially in light of what you've said about your shooting preferences. I have the X-Pro1 and like it a lot, but the viewfinder is not without its annoyances. First of all, the OVF is not that accurate. It "underframes" the scene considerably (at least it does on my 35mm), meaning that you will have to crop a good bit to duplicate the composition you saw in the VF, so you might as well be shooting a 12MP camera instead of a 16MP camera unless your brain can learn how to ignore the framing line. Secondly, for the style of street shooting I do (which is my main reason for having the Fuji), I need AF to work as fast as possible. For whatever reasons, the EVF locks AF noticeably faster than the OVF, so I find myself using the EVF quite a bit when fast AF is a priority. The bottom line here is that the X-E1's EVF may be the best option. I have an X-E1 on order also and will probably keep both :).

Best wishes,

Tony
--
Tony Bonanno Photography, Santa Fe, New Mexico
ASMP General member.
http://www.bonannophoto.com

It is true that AF is alot faster and more accurate using the EVF. I don't mind the lower resolution EVF on the XP1. The only time I use the OVF is when I have the 18mm mounted.

bblam88's gear list:bblam88's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90
awgk
Regular MemberPosts: 216Gear list
Like?
In reply to bblam88, Jan 13, 2013

Finally pulled the plug ordered from Adorama an X-E1 with the 18-55, in a year or so when the new

XE-2 comes out hopefully I will be in a position to be able to purchase it.

awgk's gear list:awgk's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads