PP software beginner friendly and free ?

Started Sep 28, 2012 | Discussions
Chimere
Senior MemberPosts: 1,133
Like?
PP software beginner friendly and free ?
Sep 28, 2012

What is the latest on PP software for beginners, possibly free ?

Chimere

Dave Oddie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,784
Like?
Re: PP software beginner friendly and free ?
In reply to Chimere, Sep 28, 2012

Chimere wrote:

Chimere

An obvious one is Google's Picasa. It even lets you open RAW files but last time I looked doesn't let you do anything much with them except convert them to jpegs and I am not sure if it supports the latest Sony cameras such as the A77.

Also, last time I looked the editing tools were a little limited in that it didn't have an unsharp mask tool for sharpening images (may have added it by now for all I know).

Anyway it is certainly free and lets you do basic image editing and cropping, stuff like that and it is very easy to use.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
EvilOne
Forum ProPosts: 13,572Gear list
Like?

Windows live gallery...
--
Bill aka EO

GuyMcKie
Contributing MemberPosts: 534
Like?

Photofiltre is user friendly and free for personal use

Gimp is free, more powerfull and more advanced, but with a lot of good filters and some scripts. There is also a portable version.

fjbyrne
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,201
Like?
How about the web?
_Fotogrfr_
Contributing MemberPosts: 755
Like?

Chimere wrote:

Chimere

Give FastStone a try. Although named an "image viewer", it has some great editing features including shadows/highlights and levels, among many other tools and abilities. It hasn't been updated in a while but it can still hold its own. And best of all... it's free.

http://faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm
--
JPEG Shooter
galleries at: http://www.pbase.com/fotogrfr

Chimere
Like?
In reply to _Fotogrfr_, Sep 28, 2012

Thanks for responses. I will work my way through them. Does anyone of you have experience with ACDsee ? Not very expensive, but is it user friendly ? Which version of it for basic PP for a beginner in PP ?

Chimere

GrandArcher
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?

I downloaded free ACDsee trial from their website and didn't see anything worth paying for. Looks like FastStone viewer can do all the same for free and I even like its interface more.

The one downside of FastStone that it cannot understand names of files in non english letters. Which I understand isn't an issue for 99%

Chimere wrote:

Thanks for responses. I will work my way through them. Does anyone of you have experience with ACDsee ? Not very expensive, but is it user friendly ? Which version of it for basic PP for a beginner in PP ?

Chimere

arthurb2
Regular MemberPosts: 158
Like?
In reply to Chimere, Sep 29, 2012

I would also recommend FastStone Image Viewer, which is a good viewer for looking at a folder at a time, but also includes a capable editor and many other tools. Certainly for a beginner I would suggest getting used to this and then you can see what else you may need.

If you intend to shoot Raw, then the free Sony software (Image Data converter) is fine; not the quickest or slickest, but it works well enough, and again you can get to understand the issues without shelling out any hard-earned cash.

Of course, you can spend a small fortune if you wish, but, if you want an editor with more capability than FastStone (and you probably will want one before too long), I find Corel's Paint Shop Pro X4 quite superb and feel no need to worry about buying Photoshop at prices I simply cannot afford. Corel regularly offer great discounts on their products, especially just before an update, and it is well worth keeping a close watch on Amazon for deals that come and go quickly. ACDSee Photo Editor is another modest-priced editor but it is aimed more, to me at least, at scrapbooking, and is not as sophisticated as PSP X4 - not a great improvement on FastStone to me.

After six years back into photography, sparked by the advent of digital, I find a combination of FastStone, Sony's IDC and Paint Shop Pro covers all my needs, but it is worth spending a little time integrating these tools (so you can, say, call PSP direct from FastStone for the selected image for example).

The Sony IDC is, of course, free; FastStone is donation-ware (as an ex self-employed software developer I always donate if I use something), and I paid about £40 (approx $60) for PSP X4. So for a total outlay of, what, $80-90 you can do pretty much what you want.

brian14478
Senior MemberPosts: 3,510
Like?

trust me on this...photoscape 3.6.1 .i also use paint.net..guarentee you will love photoscape,look around the filters and tools ,make sure to check out region(out of focus on it)its free you can make a donation if you want...no ads no emails no nonsense program...good luck,brian(if you type it in on you-tube you can get a sense of what some of the tools/funtions are)

lim yau tong
Senior MemberPosts: 2,871Gear list
Like?
I would highly recommend

google picasa.

lim yau tong's gear list:lim yau tong's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77 +25 more
Chimere
Like?
Re: I would highly recommend
In reply to lim yau tong, Sep 29, 2012

Great: thank you you good people for all your detailed and dedicated information. Have lots of food for thought now, and will get working on it.

Chimere

pedrolito
Regular MemberPosts: 380
Like?
Re: I would highly recommend

Try this

http://hornil.com/en/products/stylepix/

a lot to work with for PP.

Keyboard shortcuts: