I want to try film!!!

Started Sep 27, 2012 | Discussions
thegreat26
Forum MemberPosts: 96Gear list
Like?
I want to try film!!!
Sep 27, 2012

Well not much to say. I just wanted to share it with you. A lot of people around me keep telling me about the old film days and that photography was something special back then.

I keep saying that i am not a photographer but an artist and since photoshop, lightroom, photomatix and so many more software suites are there for us is not a crime to use them.

But deep inside me i know that digital era is much easier and probably i am not the only one here who feels like that.
So what i did....................................

I ve just bought a Pentax ME super to prove everybody wrong. To prove that a digital guy can go analogue as well.

Well just wish me good luck. (And in the end of the day i will have one more piece of art in my hands).
Cheers.

thegreat26's gear list:thegreat26's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +5 more
Adamant
Regular MemberPosts: 291
Like?
Re: I want to try film!!!
In reply to thegreat26, Sep 27, 2012

I shoot film as well as digital, and own everything from toy plastic cameras to a nice Nikon 35Ti. Shooting film is a blast. Waiting to get your prints back is fun. And learning how to work within the limitations of simple film cameras will actually teach you a LOT about shooting digital, as well as making you a better photographer.

You picked a nice camera to learn on. I would also encourage you to pick up a toy 120 Holga and learn how to actually take good pictures with it. Holgas are so ridiculously limited that you will uncover a lot about photographic technique by working with one. For less than the cost of a lens hood, you can buy a Holga, a few rolls of 120 film, and some quality developing. I've found my Holga to be a grand adventure.

Also, a few resources:
http://www.thedarkroom.com (pro film developing for reasonable prices)
http://www.holgamods.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Arijit Banerjee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,628Gear list
Like?

Break a leg!!!

You will love it.
--
Arijit

Arijit Banerjee's gear list:Arijit Banerjee's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +3 more
Winder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,309Gear list
Like?

Good luck. It will change they way to take pictures and how think about photography. When you look at the counter and see you only have 3 shots left you will be much more critical of what you shoot with those last three shots.
--
Contax 645, Canon 5D (sold), Olympus E-3 (sold), Playing with a K-7 and K-5

Winder's gear list:Winder's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
Chris Mak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,177
Like?

thegreat26 wrote:

Well not much to say. I just wanted to share it with you. A lot of people around me keep telling me about the old film days and that photography was something special back then.

I keep saying that i am not a photographer but an artist and since photoshop, lightroom, photomatix and so many more software suites are there for us is not a crime to use them.

But deep inside me i know that digital era is much easier and probably i am not the only one here who feels like that.

I ve just bought a Pentax ME super to prove everybody wrong. To prove that a digital guy can go analogue as well.

Well just wish me good luck. (And in the end of the day i will have one more piece of art in my hands).
Cheers.

Good luck then!

I must say that I personally feel, that despite the clear advantages, digital photography still hasn't yet reached the level where it has the same awe inspiring effect on me that the better film photography had and still has.

Sometes I see prints that simply captivate me, prints from film photography that is.

I guess it has something, or much, to do with the seemingly endless exposure latitude with film photography, that makes it ideally suitable for magic play with light.

Exposure range is what made me go for the k5, but good as it is, it still is digital and hs the cursed limitations of digital. But I love it nontheless, and one day that digital sensor or technology will arise that can handle light the way film could.

Chris

Plakanina
Contributing MemberPosts: 691Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chris Mak, Sep 27, 2012

Chris Mak wrote:

thegreat26 wrote:

Cheers.

Good luck then!

I must say that I personally feel, that despite the clear advantages, digital photography still hasn't yet reached the level where it has the same awe inspiring effect on me that the better film photography had and still has.

Sometes I see prints that simply captivate me, prints from film photography that is.

I guess it has something, or much, to do with the seemingly endless exposure latitude with film photography, that makes it ideally suitable for magic play with light.

Exposure range is what made me go for the k5, but good as it is, it still is digital and hs the cursed limitations of digital. But I love it nontheless, and one day that digital sensor or technology will arise that can handle light the way film could.

Chris

well that will never happen. with film reflected light from the subject passes through the lens and actually etches into the film emulsion like an engraver. Both digital and film have their own glories, one is not better than the other.

Plakanina's gear list:Plakanina's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR
Djouglee
Regular MemberPosts: 340Gear list
Like?

Good for you! I hope you find film as enjoyable as I have. About a year ago I picked up a Pentax 67, a few lenses and a cheap flat bed scanner and I haven't looked back since. Digital is great and offers a ton on conveniences, but film, and for me, particularly 120 roll film is just special.

I second the idea of getting a holga and having a go at medium format, if you develop yourself (which is easy enough), I find 120 film a lot easier to work with and the scans are much better IMO.

Best of luck to you!

Doug
--
My Flickr photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/doug456/
My PPG
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/douglasmcminimy

Djouglee's gear list:Djouglee's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +4 more
foto guy
Contributing MemberPosts: 713
Like?

+1 What all the previous posters said.
No digital camera feels as good in the hand as an old metal, mechanical camera.
An ME Super is a great one to start on.
--
Joe G.
'The universe is wider than our views of it.'
-- Henry David Thoreau

Pentax_Prime
Senior MemberPosts: 2,457Gear list
Like?

Film is lots of fun - it's nice to focus on single images and make them as good as they can be on the first 'try' rather than have some of the luxuries of digital and spray-n-pray. You've got a good camera to start with - it will do most of what you will need and offer good IQ. Forget the 'Holga' advice - cheap plastic 'Holga' photography is the newest 'fad' in hipster land ... "look at those cool light leaks!". You've got a much more capable camera.

thegreat26 wrote:

Cheers.

-- hide signature --

My Pentax Street Gallery - Arranged By Lens Used
http://photobucket.com/andy_allen

Pentax_Prime's gear list:Pentax_Prime's gear list
Pentax K-5
math guy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,299Gear list
Like?

I'm going to be the odd man out here and say that I don't miss film a bit. The ability to switch ISO at any time and the instant feedback I get are just two things that make digital much better in my book. I never spent time in a darkroom and was always at the mercy of the developer for prints, so I really enjoy the personal control digital offers in raw development. And even if I had known my way around a darkroom, I cannot imagine I would prefer that to the simplicity and versatility of developing images digitally.

Maybe if I had an unlimited supply of time and money I might feel differently.

Nonetheless, I hope you find it as fun as most of the other folks here.

-- hide signature --

-- Joe S.

"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/josephschmitt

math guy's gear list:math guy's gear list
Pentax K-x Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
Adamant
Regular MemberPosts: 291
Like?
In reply to Pentax_Prime, Sep 27, 2012

Yes, Holgas are a favorite fashion accessory of dirty hipsters, but that fact alone doesn't mean you should avoid them.

Learning to shoot with one shutter speed, one focal length, and one aperture is photography reduced to its bare essence. (I suppose a pinhole camera is even more primitive, and you should certainly try those too if you're so inclined). The only thing you get to control is film type and film speed. Putting aside all the hipster nonsense, Holgas have something to teach any photographer.

Plus you can brag that you're using a "sensor" (120 film) that is FOUR TIMES larger than the one in a Nikon D800.

MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,549
Like?

Other then disposables and a P&S i never really shot film then after 200,000 digital photos i went to film and love it! if you ever need manual lenses or another film camera i have many for sale on the other forum.
--
Mike from Canada

"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."

'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

steephill
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,051
Like?
Beware of rose tinted glasses

Film has plenty of problems of its own which can be extremely frustrating. It is a delicate medium which needs toxic chemicals to process. You need to maintain a clean working environment - a single piece of grit will scratch an entire film. It deteriorates even with the best storage. It gets expensive very quickly. All is not rosy with the world of film.

I say this as someone who has a dozen film cameras and a full colour wet darkroom setup. I put a roll through my MZ-5 last week and one through my Auto110 today. I will be buying a 30m bulk roll of B&W next week to feed my film cameras and have a nostalgic play with my darkroom kit.

By all means try it but be realistic. It isn't really special at all, it is just a different type of sensor behind the lens. It is the bit behind the viewfinder that really matters.

-- hide signature --
James O'Neill
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,928
Like?

Good luck.

I still have the ME Super which I used for more than 15 years. It's a great camera and I'm very fond of it.

Film teaches you a discipline (and I used some 120-Roll film cameras from the 1920s as an experiment because I thought even the ME Super made things too easy), and working with black and white, and learning to make prints made me a better digital photographer. If you get used to working with manual focus, you'll understand my comments that AF is akin to witchcraft and people should shut up about its faults. You'll also want a manual focus enabled screen in your DSLR.

I miss Infra red film - IR digital isn't the same. I miss the tactile nature of film itself too, the rituals of working with it. But I'm not going back

I was a student when I got my MG and ME-Super, and the lenses I bought in the 1980s and kept till about 2002 were not as good as the ones I can afford now so it's not a straight comparison but the quality of prints from my DSLRs beats anything I shot on film. Enjoyable days spent in the darkroom generated a handful of decent black and white prints - with Hahnemuhle paper and K3 inks, light-room produces better ones on my Epson in minutes. That paper is expensive (so is the ink), but b&W prints had a high wastage rate, and I place a high value on my time. I'm miles ahead on time and ahead on money.

I paid for hand printed cibachromes in the 80's and again the Epson matches them, at a tenth of the price - after adjusting for inflation make that 1/50th the price.

The cost of film and processing was substatial. The most I ever shot in a day was 400 frames at a formula 1 race. Developing 11 rolls nearly bankrupted me. Now a memory card which holds 400 frames costs less than a processing a roll of film.

ispress
Like?
In reply to James O'Neill, Sep 27, 2012

People are definitely right about the price of film. Including processing, it has definitely become something of a luxury good. Then again, unless you make your living at it, serious digital photography is kind of a luxury good too.

ispress's gear list:ispress's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
justin23
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,201Gear list
Like?
In reply to Adamant, Sep 27, 2012

I second getting a holga to play with.
I just got the Holga 120PAN. 12x6 frames.

Yes IQ is not up there, but there is a feel to the holga that is hard to describe.

Mind you there are people around who have hacked their holgas to put a good lens on them and get pretty good results.

Adamant wrote:

I shoot film as well as digital, and own everything from toy plastic cameras to a nice Nikon 35Ti. Shooting film is a blast. Waiting to get your prints back is fun. And learning how to work within the limitations of simple film cameras will actually teach you a LOT about shooting digital, as well as making you a better photographer.

You picked a nice camera to learn on. I would also encourage you to pick up a toy 120 Holga and learn how to actually take good pictures with it. Holgas are so ridiculously limited that you will uncover a lot about photographic technique by working with one. For less than the cost of a lens hood, you can buy a Holga, a few rolls of 120 film, and some quality developing. I've found my Holga to be a grand adventure.

Also, a few resources:
http://www.thedarkroom.com (pro film developing for reasonable prices)
http://www.holgamods.com

-- hide signature --

Justin
--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/justinwatson

justin23's gear list:justin23's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +11 more
James O'Neill
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,928
Like?
In reply to ispress, Sep 28, 2012

I bought the first *ist-D I saw, and have upgraded on roughly 3 year cycles ever since I traded the K10D for the K7 and the K7 for K5. That's cost me less than my film and processing bill. Much less. Which is why Kodak are in bankrupcy protection and it was worth Ricoh investing in Pentax.

MikeFreeze
Forum MemberPosts: 95
Like?
In reply to thegreat26, Sep 28, 2012

OK. Get a few rolls of Velvia 50 slide film. Shoot only landscapes and outdoor scenes with it - no closeups of people - and look for the scenes with lots of color contrast. Have it developed and scanned (I suggest Dwayne's photo dot com) and be prepared for some amazingly vibrant colors!

Now if I can just figure out how to duplicate that look with digital.... Most cameras try to capture something similar with a "Vibrant" style setting, but it's always lacking.

Anyone have recommended settings for a K-5 to emulate Velvia 50? Please, let me know how you do it.

I shoot film with a Canon EOS3 - I like my K-5 so far, but I'm sure I will forever shoot film. Good luck,

Mike Freeze

thegreat26
Like?
In reply to MikeFreeze, Sep 28, 2012

Well i just have to wait for my new camera to arrive from USA then. Thanks for the replies.

thegreat26's gear list:thegreat26's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +5 more
Gerry Winterbourne
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,549
Like?
Another odd man
In reply to math guy, Sep 28, 2012

math guy wrote:

I'm going to be the odd man out here and say that I don't miss film a bit. The ability to switch ISO at any time and the instant feedback I get are just two things that make digital much better in my book. I never spent time in a darkroom and was always at the mercy of the developer for prints, so I really enjoy the personal control digital offers in raw development. And even if I had known my way around a darkroom, I cannot imagine I would prefer that to the simplicity and versatility of developing images digitally.

I'm with you, Joe. I shot film for over half a century (1953 - 2006) and for me that's enough. I'm different from you in one way - I had access to a darkroom in my early years and, at that age, the magic of developing and enlarging beat the actual taking of photos.

But if you can be bothered to visit my PBase galleries, where I've put a lot of my old pics, you'll see that my photograhy has improved as much in the few digital years as all the time before. Thay's not to say that my current output is all good - it clearly isn't - but my average has gone up.

There are quite a few things in this life that I'm glad I've done but wouldn't want to repeat. I think it's good for other people to try them too. Film photography is one of those things. I wish the OP fun and enjoyment.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

First camera 1953, first Pentax 1985, first DSLR 2006
http://www.pbase.com/gerrywinterbourne

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads