Canon SELPHY CP900 Defect

Started Sep 27, 2012 | Discussions
John Conte
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?
Canon SELPHY CP900 Defect
Sep 27, 2012

I have waited for this upgrade to the CP800 because of it's wireless capabilities and I heard many good things about the print quality of the CP800. I finally got one from B&H. Got it connected to my wireless network and printed an image using their software on an iMac. Looked great but then I noticed a line across the short side about a quarter inch in from one end. I printed a different image with the same result- a thin line (1 pixel?) across the short side at the same location. I then printed those same images using Lightroom 4- same results. I called B&H and as usual, got excellent customer, with a replacement being shipped. Well the replacement has the same line in the same location! Anyone else have this issue? I will be calling Canon to report it.

John

John Conte
Like?
Re: Canon SELPHY CP900 Defect
In reply to John Conte, Sep 27, 2012

PS- I just connected it via USB and the defect is still there.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
John Conte
Like?

Just got a response from Canon. The email said to use the cleaning stick to clean the printer. Well, no cleaning stick is provided. Besides, a line in exactly the same location on 2 units seems suspicious.

Petruska
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,694
Like?
Well...

1. Did you remove the driver and reinstall it (I would lean towards this being the problem). And did you update to the latest driver?

2. What application do you print from? Did you try another application and print from that?

Bob P.

ddushko
Forum MemberPosts: 94
Like?
Re: Well...
In reply to Petruska, Sep 27, 2012

I would try to print directly from a card (SD, CF) and then fight with external software. If you go the direct way note that, at least on the CP800, there is no picture visible on the display of you try to print TIFs. The best is to try with a JPG, which has never been changed by external software.

ddushko

John Conte
Like?
Re: Well...
In reply to ddushko, Sep 28, 2012

I did download the driver from Canon but I think it's the same as the CD version. I used 2 different printing programs and 2 different computers. I also printed from a USB key. After spending about 1 hr. w/ tech support, they wanted me to send the unit in for repair. I'm just sending it back for a refund. Maybe I'll try the CP800 and forget the wireless capabilities.

John Conte
Like?
Love To Hear From Other CP900 Owners
In reply to John Conte, Oct 3, 2012

I would love to hear from other CP900 owners whether they have this problem or not. I posted on Amazon and one other person has reported the same exact problem. Also, has this been an issue with the CP800 in the past? Seems like it would be the same printing engine and they both use the same Ink&Paper kits.

gipper51
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,054Gear list
Like?
Re: Love To Hear From Other CP900 Owners
In reply to John Conte, Nov 15, 2012

John Conte wrote:

I would love to hear from other CP900 owners whether they have this problem or not. I posted on Amazon and one other person has reported the same exact problem. Also, has this been an issue with the CP800 in the past? Seems like it would be the same printing engine and they both use the same Ink&Paper kits.

I just purchased this printer this evening.  Mine has the exact same issue, on the left side of the print (in landscape). I'm printing from Photoshop CS6 via wi-fi.

gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +3 more
ddushko
Like?
In reply to John Conte, Nov 16, 2012

John Conte wrote:

I know that I am writing this a bit late, but just for the record. I think that I have the same issue with the CP800. I noticed it yesterday. Its a subtle line parallel to the perforation and a bit more than a centimeter away from it. The line is repeating the color pattern but is a bit darker than the pixels around/below it. I have the printer since one year but I use it seldom and print normally from an external media. The problem is that I do not have any of the photos printed with it anymore. All went to friends. Months ago when you asked the original question I quickly checked a photo that I had and did not see the problem.

What I see now is the line mentioned above. It shows both when printing from a USB stick and from Qimage. Its funny that it is on the left side of the photo when printed from USB stick and on the right when printed from Qimage, but I suppose that this is related to the way the photo is processed before printing (both have the same orientation on the screen with the same orientation info in the exif, so I cannot really explain the left/right issue).

I am out of paper now, but the next time I print I will check whether one can see the issue during the 3 CMY passes.

ddushko

gipper51
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,054Gear list
Like?
In reply to gipper51, Dec 6, 2012

gipper51 wrote:

John Conte wrote:

I just purchased this printer this evening. Mine has the exact same issue, on the left side of the print (in landscape). I'm printing from Photoshop CS6 via wi-fi.

Following up on this, I found something that seems to help.  If I go directly into the menu system on the printer itself (not the menu on your PC) and change the default the border setting from "Borderless" to "Bordered" it gets rid of the line.  Even if I then print border-less out of Photoshop the line is gone.

For some reason having the default setting in the printer's menu was causing this.   I've made half a dozen prints and the line has not come back, before every one of them had it.  It's weird but I'm happy it's gone!

gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +3 more
ddushko
Like?
In reply to gipper51, Dec 6, 2012

gipper51 wrote:

Following up on this, I found something that seems to help. If I go directly into the menu system on the printer itself (not the menu on your PC) and change the default the border setting from "Borderless" to "Bordered" it gets rid of the line. Even if I then print border-less out of Photoshop the line is gone.

For some reason having the default setting in the printer's menu was causing this. I've made half a dozen prints and the line has not come back, before every one of them had it. It's weird but I'm happy it's gone!

Thank you for this info. As I said above I did not notice the problem before, but since I have seen it I see it every time and it is really not motivating me to use the printer. I will get some IP (the post cards) paper today and try it!

Thanks again!

ddushko

Gao Gao
Contributing MemberPosts: 545
Like?
In reply to gipper51, Mar 23, 2013

gipper51 wrote:

gipper51 wrote:

John Conte wrote:

I just purchased this printer this evening. Mine has the exact same issue, on the left side of the print (in landscape). I'm printing from Photoshop CS6 via wi-fi.

Following up on this, I found something that seems to help. If I go directly into the menu system on the printer itself (not the menu on your PC) and change the default the border setting from "Borderless" to "Bordered" it gets rid of the line. Even if I then print border-less out of Photoshop the line is gone.

For some reason having the default setting in the printer's menu was causing this. I've made half a dozen prints and the line has not come back, before every one of them had it. It's weird but I'm happy it's gone!

Errr... I just got the printer and yes it does have the line in every photo, and no, setting it to bordered doesn't seem to help.

-- hide signature --

. 。o O o 。 . 。o O o 。 . 。o O o 。 .

neilmado
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to John Conte, 7 months ago

You can buy a cleaner unit from Canon for $4.79 , just call the toll free number and connect to parts and service.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads