Assign AE-L/AF-L Button on D600 to AF-ON?

Started Sep 26, 2012 | Discussions
daizykae
Forum MemberPosts: 54
Like?
Assign AE-L/AF-L Button on D600 to AF-ON?
Sep 26, 2012

Being used to the D300s, I have always used the AF-ON button. One of the hesitations I have about the D600 was that it was missing the AF-ON button. I had a thought though that I could just assign that AF-ON function to the AE-L/AF-L button. According the manual, it is possible. So has anyone done this and does it work well? Or is there also other options?

Nikon D300S Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
FloEvans
Regular MemberPosts: 215
Like?
Re: Assign AE-L/AF-L Button on D600 to AF-ON?
In reply to daizykae, Sep 27, 2012

It works well, but you lose AE lock. I don't use AE lock all that much so no big deal.

You can also assign AF ON to the Fn button. Personally I use this to access commander mode for wireless flash because that option is buried deep in the menus and I use it allot.

I just noticed you can assign it to the DOF preview button too. So basically you have 3 buttons that can be customized to do whatever you want.

These can all be rapidly changed by hitting the info button twice to get to the quick menu.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pixelless
Contributing MemberPosts: 612
Like?
In reply to FloEvans, Sep 27, 2012

So it works just like the D7000.... it works fine, but the placement of the button is not as optimal as the dedicated AF-ON on the D300.

ScottRH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,623
Like?
In reply to pixelless, Sep 27, 2012

Right one reason the d600 is far from pro.

pixelless wrote:

So it works just like the D7000.... it works fine, but the placement of the button is not as optimal as the dedicated AF-ON on the D300.

daizykae
Like?
In reply to ScottRH, Sep 27, 2012

Yeh, it may not be ideal but I'm relieved to know that I won't lose that functionality if I decide to buy the D600. The inconvenience would be minimal too. It's one less thing on my list of reasons for resisting its charms. If only I could assign buttons for the rest ... then resistance would be futile.

freddyNZ
Senior MemberPosts: 2,416
Like?

ScottRH wrote:
Right one reason the d600 is far from pro.

pixelless wrote:

You can assign AF-On function to AE-L, turn shutter release half-press focus off, along with focus point preferences etc etc, save to U1 or U2 mode. The button is in the right place on the D600, no "pro" has two thumbs and can operate both the AF-ON and AE-L at the same time anyway - the separate buttons are almost superfluous.

I'd happily swap the hopeless and clumsy menu-only accessible user shooting banks in my D300 (and common to Nikon's FX cameras until now) for dial operated "U" modes in a flash, but more than two user modes (as in D7000/600) would be nice.

If the D600 is "far from" pro, then the lack of a separate AF-ON button is actually a pretty trivial reason IMO - it's just been "jumped on" by people because it's easy to notice - but almost nobody realises that it hardly matters. But if it isn't pro enough, then spend $900 more - that's how it works. If Dx meets your needs, then stick to the D300, save some cash, and wait.

More annoying with the D600 is the lack of 100% zoom (to selected focus point) in image review mode. The polycarbonate front might be a bit of a concern for owners of large heavy lenses, and the AF point coverage is a bit smaller than FX models with CAM 3500 AF unit. But for many folks, the D600 is the best thing that could have happened.

I'd expect a lot will be used professionally too - especially in the wedding/event photo business, where the Canon 5D I and II have ruled.

FloEvans
Like?
In reply to freddyNZ, Sep 27, 2012

freddyNZ wrote:

You can assign AF-On function to AE-L, turn shutter release half-press focus off, along with focus point preferences etc etc, save to U1 or U2 mode. The button is in the right place on the D600, no "pro" has two thumbs and can operate both the AF-ON and AE-L at the same time anyway - the separate buttons are almost superfluous.

You must not play video games. You hit the AF ON with the base of your thumb and the AE lock with the tip.

lock
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,821
Like?
Never really like this one thumb method either.

I ended up assigning front buttons (preview or function button) to use as AE-L/AF-L. I used preview since that wa a useless function for me anyway. Lot more natural handling and you can do this on the D600 as well.

Vince P
Senior MemberPosts: 1,100Gear list
Like?
In reply to daizykae, Sep 27, 2012

Just out of interest, how does the D600 focus in Live View and video without an AF button? Just from my point of view I couldn't manage without AE lock but need the other function buttons for instant spot meter (Almost always used in conjunction with AE lock) and bkt.

Vince P's gear list:Vince P's gear list
RX100 III Nikon D300S Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon D3S +34 more
ScottRH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,623
Like?
In reply to Vince P, Sep 27, 2012

It may work for some, but not for me.

FloEvans
Like?
In reply to Vince P, Sep 27, 2012

Vince P wrote:

Just out of interest, how does the D600 focus in Live View and video without an AF button? Just from my point of view I couldn't manage without AE lock but need the other function buttons for instant spot meter (Almost always used in conjunction with AE lock) and bkt.

It "works" as far as being an option, but not a very good one.

RobCMad
Regular MemberPosts: 332Gear list
Like?

Canon 60D has a well located AF-ON button - I think it is a shame that Nikon will only put it on its most expensive cameras.

bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 29,941
Like?
In reply to freddyNZ, Sep 27, 2012

freddyNZ wrote:

The polycarbonate front might be a bit of a concern for owners of large heavy lenses,

All Nikons have a polycarbonate front. The D600 has a polymer (don't know which) chassis, which mounts the lens mount, not the front.
--
Bob

freddyNZ
Senior MemberPosts: 2,416
Like?

FloEvans wrote:

freddyNZ wrote:

You must not play video games. You hit the AF ON with the base of your thumb and the AE lock with the tip.

OK. You made me go and pick up my old D300 and try it. Yes - it can be done, not with the base of your thumb, but rocking between the tip and joint of my thumb anyway. I never felt the urge to use that possibility, and expect that now I know it can be done, I'll still never feel the urge.

I know that if I say this is a useless piece of information as practically nobody would or should ever need or want to do this, some hypothetical situation will be presented where it might be an advantage for some James Bond or McGyver type.

leicaman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,489
Like?
In reply to daizykae, Oct 4, 2012

daizykae wrote:

Being used to the D300s, I have always used the AF-ON button. One of the hesitations I have about the D600 was that it was missing the AF-ON button. I had a thought though that I could just assign that AF-ON function to the AE-L/AF-L button. According the manual, it is possible. So has anyone done this and does it work well? Or is there also other options?

How does one use the AF-ON function.....  sorry. but new to AF DSLRs

spbStan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,882Gear list
Like?
Re: Never really like this one thumb method either.
In reply to lock, Oct 4, 2012

For me, the AF-on using the thumb and Fn assigned to Ae/Af lock is more logical and faster than how my D800 has two thumb buttons. I have used AF-on assigned that way on my D7000 since new and find it more of an automatic response to use the thumb and index finger for AF and AE/AF lock at the same time without shifting grip at all as is required when stretching the thumb to hit the AE/AF button. If anything, the lack of dedicated AF-On button allows for this alternative that is superior to the "pro" version.

This happens every time a new camera comes out that is different than a prior lower performance camera that one is used to to. They moan that it is not "pro" because it is not identical to the old camera that in most ways, is far inferior in real photographic capabilities. The answer is easy, if old habits trump quality, this new camera is not for those people, it was not designed for them and only one camera was, the one they have.  They should not complain when the competition using the new "non-pro" camera steals their clients because of superior images and capabilities. We were subjected to the same nonsense when there was a cry of anguish over the amateur AF mode selection method when the D7000 came out. Before trying it and realizing it has advantages, they complained it was a deal breaker. Fine, then be happy with old tech because all real pro cameras recently were fitted with it also.

-- hide signature --

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

daizykae
Like?
In reply to leicaman, Oct 5, 2012

leicaman wrote:

daizykae wrote:

leicaman, by using the AF-ON button, instead of using the shutter to focus, you can lock the focus for as long as you continue to press the AF-ON button. So that means you don't lose the focus lock once you have taken the shot or removed your finger from the shutter. And because it works independently, the camera will still continue metering for exposure while you shoot.  I use it all the time and wouldn't want to do without it. Not all DSLR's have such a button.

lock
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,821
Like?
Same setup on my new D600
In reply to spbStan, Oct 5, 2012

And indeed this works very naturally. Better than two buttons next to each other.

I did have to get used to the grip and handling of the D600, but after two days I'm starting to get used to the layout of the buttons and the grip ergonomy. Nevertheless, the thumb isn't only positioned on the re-assigned AE-L-AF-L button, it also covers the multiselector and ok button. Next time they should place the AE-L-AF-L button more to the right, closer to the rear wheel (about 8 mm's).

neil bryant
Contributing MemberPosts: 678
Like?
In reply to daizykae, Oct 7, 2012

daizykae wrote:

leicaman wrote:

daizykae wrote:

leicaman, by using the AF-ON button, instead of using the shutter to focus, you can lock the focus for as long as you continue to press the AF-ON button. So that means you don't lose the focus lock once you have taken the shot or removed your finger from the shutter. And because it works independently, the camera will still continue metering for exposure while you shoot.  I use it all the time and wouldn't want to do without it. Not all DSLR's have such a button.

I have a D7000 and have recently started using the AF-ON assigned to the AE-L AF-L button and have in the menu "C1 Shutter Release Button AEL"set to on.

So when i use AF-ON to focus i then half depress the shutter button to engage VR and i also see AE-L in the bottom left hand corner of the viewfinder,then take the shot.

Are these same settings possible in the D600?

-- hide signature --

Maybe the Hokey Cokey is really what it's all about
"http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3012/4561645208_3950c1a978_m.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1146/5105359735_cf3ae64234_o.gif
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8434/7585187582_cf01db469b_n.jpg
D7000
Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G ED IF AF-S VR
Nikon AF-S VR 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED
AF-S DX 35mm f1.8
Nikon R715 (AF-S DX 18-105G VR)
SB 400
Panasonic TZ10

franzeez
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
In reply to neil bryant, Jul 16, 2013

Does this method affects when you use the remote control eg 10 sec.

franzeez's gear list:franzeez's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha 7
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads