Some possibly dumb Q questions

Started Sep 26, 2012 | Discussions
ispress
Forum MemberPosts: 96Gear list
Like?
Some possibly dumb Q questions
Sep 26, 2012

Almost ready to pull the trigger on a Q10, but I have just a couple of questions of current Q owners (I'm assuming these details won't change for the 10). Thanks in advance for indulging. Sorry if these are dumb.

1. If you attach a filter, can you see what the filter is doing through the LCD screen? In other words, if I'm using a circular polarizer, will I be able to get a live view as I twist it?

2. Similarly, for in-camera "effects," do those display in live view?

3. Unrelated, are there reliable, cheap third-party batteries available for the Q?

Thanks again.

ispress's gear list:ispress's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Pentax Q10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
snostorm
Senior MemberPosts: 2,008Gear list
Like?
Yes, yes, and yes
In reply to ispress, Sep 26, 2012

ispress wrote:

Almost ready to pull the trigger on a Q10, but I have just a couple of questions of current Q owners (I'm assuming these details won't change for the 10). Thanks in advance for indulging. Sorry if these are dumb.

1. If you attach a filter, can you see what the filter is doing through the LCD screen? In other words, if I'm using a circular polarizer, will I be able to get a live view as I twist it?

2. Similarly, for in-camera "effects," do those display in live view?

3. Unrelated, are there reliable, cheap third-party batteries available for the Q?

Hi ispress,

There are usually no dumb questions.

1. Since it's "live view", any filters will effect the light getting to the sensor, so you'd see the effect on the LCD.
2. All of the in-camera filter effects display on the LCD in LV -- pretty cool!!

3. It's a pretty commonly available battery -- luckily -- and they can commonly be found for under $6 USD each on Amazon or Ebay. I bought 1 Pearstone from B&H and 3 from Wasabe with their 120V home / 12V car charger. I've had them about 1 year, and they all are working pretty much like the original.

Scott

snostorm's gear list:snostorm's gear list
Pentax K-3
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ispress
Forum MemberPosts: 96Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes, yes, and yes
In reply to snostorm, Sep 27, 2012

Thanks much. Very helpful.

ispress's gear list:ispress's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
GeoffNS
Contributing MemberPosts: 564
Like?
In reply to snostorm, Sep 27, 2012

Scotts answered all your questions and I agree fully. Re filters, I'd just add that if you already have 49mm filters for other Pentax cameras you might consider getting a 40.5 to 49mm step up ring and you can use your existing filters rather then having to buy new ones for your Q. Cheers, Geoff.

John Sheehy
Forum ProPosts: 16,031
Like?
In reply to snostorm, Sep 28, 2012

snostorm wrote:

There are usually no dumb questions.

1. Since it's "live view", any filters will effect the light getting to the sensor, so you'd see the effect on the LCD.
2. All of the in-camera filter effects display on the LCD in LV -- pretty cool!!

3. It's a pretty commonly available battery -- luckily -- and they can commonly be found for under $6 USD each on Amazon or Ebay. I bought 1 Pearstone from B&H and 3 from Wasabe with their 120V home / 12V car charger. I've had them about 1 year, and they all are working pretty much like the original.

I bought my 3rd and 4th batteries from an Amazon side store for something like $7 for the two, including shipping.

If you don't use the "Power Saver" function (far too aggressive, IMO), you will need at least 3 batteries for a day's shooting. When I had just 2 batteries, and used the Q with a Canon EOS telephoto with an adapter, with "Power Saver" off, both batteries were dead halfway through the day.

-- hide signature --

John

Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,155Gear list
Like?
Q10 --> better battery life
In reply to ispress, Sep 28, 2012

According to Shigeru Wakashiro, Pentax system camera development manager (as noted in an interview with PentaxForums during Photokina) Pentax Q10 has improved battery life.

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic

"I want to be the tripod, the light meter, the motor drive."
— Eve Arnold

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
waxwaine
Contributing MemberPosts: 953Gear list
Like?
Re: Some possibly dumb Q questions
In reply to ispress, Oct 1, 2012

The questions were fine answered, and I want to add that you have to look for batteries that replace the next models:

KLIC 7004 (Kodak), P-50 (Fuji) and of course D-LI68 (Pentax). It 's the same battery. All of them must be at least 1000mhA.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads