Raynox M-250 onto SX40? And other Macro questions.

Started Sep 26, 2012 | Discussions
BobT
Forum ProPosts: 11,876Gear list
Like?
Raynox M-250 onto SX40? And other Macro questions.
Sep 26, 2012

I must be confused about the macro use of the SX40. It appears to me that there are 2 MACRO settings. 1-requires no zoom, and the camera seems to need to be almost touching the subject. 2-uses the zoom and you must be several feet away from the subject. So what about inbetween there somewhere? Or is that not possible, and one needs to decide whether to use option 1 or 2, and just deal with it?

Can the Raynox M-250 Macro adapter be used on the SX40? If so, will it attach (clamp on to) the SX40 without any sort of additional adapter ring or tube? Then, how does this impact on the two options mentioned above? Is it best to simply focus with this adapter by physically moving in and out, rather than via the zoom control?

Any samples of the 250+SX40?

Thanks for straightening me out on all this. I'm a real fan of this camera, and would like to broaden my scope with it by attempting some macro. I will soon have access to a M-250.

Cybertony
Regular MemberPosts: 485Gear list
Like?
Re: Raynox M-250 onto SX40? And other Macro questions.
In reply to BobT, Sep 26, 2012

Hello Bob,

While I'm certain someone here has used the combination you speak of with excellent results, for the simple sake of "in-the-field" convenience when I decide to shoot a subject in macro, I DO NOT even switch to macro mode. Instead, I leave the camera in Normal Mode and position myself at a reasonable distance from the subject then simply zoom in on it. My best "macro" efforts have resulted from using this technique. I posted a recent thread that provides tips and examples, including the use of this technique plus other things that work for me regarding the SX40. The thread can be found under my forum name Cybertony.

Anyway, that's what I do regarding"macro" shots.

Tony

Cybertony's gear list:Cybertony's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BobT
Like?
In reply to Cybertony, Sep 26, 2012

Would you kindly direct me to your site showing your macro efforts. I sure couldn't find it.

Thanks

Biff Exploder
Regular MemberPosts: 367Gear list
Like?

this is my only and 1st shot so far with it.

haven't had the chance to take photos in ages since i got the lens :\

Biff Exploder's gear list:Biff Exploder's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS +2 more
BobT
Like?
In reply to Biff Exploder, Sep 26, 2012

That's close. But how does the M-250 actually fasten to the SX40?

VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,727Gear list
Like?

BobT wrote:

I must be confused about the macro use of the SX40. It appears to me that there are 2 MACRO settings. 1-requires no zoom, and the camera seems to need to be almost touching the subject. 2-uses the zoom and you must be several feet away from the subject. So what about inbetween there somewhere? Or is that not possible, and one needs to decide whether to use option 1 or 2, and just deal with it?

Can the Raynox M-250 Macro adapter be used on the SX40? If so, will it attach (clamp on to) the SX40 without any sort of additional adapter ring or tube? Then, how does this impact on the two options mentioned above? Is it best to simply focus with this adapter by physically moving in and out, rather than via the zoom control?

Any samples of the 250+SX40?

Thanks for straightening me out on all this. I'm a real fan of this camera, and would like to broaden my scope with it by attempting some macro. I will soon have access to a M-250.

The answer to your confusion very much depends on what size field of view you want to capture with your camera.

First, in macro mode. At 24mm, with the lens touching your subject, the camera will produce a horizontal field of view of about 2 inchs. Fine if your subject is not alive and fine if it does not need the light being blocked by the lens. At 135mm in macro mode, the lens must be at least 12 inchs from the subject and produces a horizontal field of view of about 3 inchs. At 840mm, the minimum focusing distance of 4.5 feet gives a horizontal field of view of 3½ inchs.

Second, in non-macro mode. At 24mm, with the lens 2 inchs from the subject, the camera will produce a horizontal field of view of about 2½ inchs. Slightly wider than in macro mode, but now not touching your subject. Other focal lengths in non-macro mode produce the same field of view as in macro mode. This makes macro mode really only somewhat useful at 24mm.

Third, further discussion of using the zoom for macro. As discussed above, the 840mm zoom from its close focusing distance of 4½ feet gives a field of view of 3½ horizontal inchs. Turn on the 2.0TC and the lens becomes an effective 1680mm and the field of view becomes 1¾ horizontal inchs. Go to 4x Digital Zoom and the field becomes 7/8 horizontal inchs. Here is an example of the 2.0TC and full zoom from 4½ feet that I took yesterday. The little critter in about 1 inch in size, nose to tip of wing, so the horizontal field of view of the whole image is about 1¾ inchs:

I could have increased the magnification by swithching to 4x Digital Zoom, but didn't need to do so to get my desired composition. Besides, even at 4½ feet away, the critter was getting annoyed with me and kept walking deeper into the brush to get away from me. But at that magnification, I would have been able to fill the frame with its whole body, excluding the antenae which would not have fit.

Fourth, the M-250. Need to get closer than what I've described above? Then, as seen in images posted on this forum, you need the M-250. I'm currently happy getting the results without it, so I don't have one and can't go into its use. Maybe someone else will give you the particulars.

Hope this has been helpful.

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Biff Exploder
Like?

BobT wrote:

That's close. But how does the M-250 actually fasten to the SX40?

It fastens very strongly into the dents inside of the barrel of the camera where you screw lenses to.

I use it all the time with the canon 67mm adapter ring, since i almost never remove the ring, but it works without it as well as you can see in the next photos i took.

hope this helps

Biff Exploder
Like?

Okay this might be a little grim but this tiny dead fly that was on my window was my only subject to show you the difference between "no raynox lens (macro mode, subject almost touching the lens) / raynox with full zoom / raynox with full zoom +2 tele"

Note the shutter speed, my kitchen light is not very bright but when you zoom in you better be ready for darkness, but the SX40 handles the high iso pretty well, and if you work with the flash well you can get pretty decent shots.

(i didn't use flash on these)

they are as follow:

Cybertony
Regular MemberPosts: 485Gear list
Like?
In reply to BobT, Sep 27, 2012

Hello Bob,

Here's my Canon SX40 Gallery link:

http://tonybritton.smugmug.com/Other/Canon-SX40-HS/19547031_B4kL9S#

With images 44, 367, 402, 422, 344 and 432 I was physically close enough to these subjects to switch to Macro-Mode. My opinion is they just didn't present well enough in that mode as they did when I moved back from the subject, remained in Normal Mode (the camera, not me!) and simply used the zoom to fill the frame to my liking. I find backgrounds that result using with this technique also quite pleasing.

Clearly, this doesn't qualify as a "true" nearly microscopic quality macro but it provides the most consistently good looking close-ups from this camera, at least for me.

Tony

Cybertony's gear list:Cybertony's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
iAnoop
Regular MemberPosts: 116Gear list
Like?
In reply to BobT, Sep 27, 2012

Raynox 250 is a must have accessory for sx40 and to get too close photos needs tripod.
however I managed to get following shot as handheld camera

flickr link : http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianoopkumar/8011174283/

-- hide signature --
 iAnoop's gear list:iAnoop's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads