Closing the gap at Photokina.

Started Sep 26, 2012 | Discussions
Bob Meyer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,361Gear list
Like?
Wow, brilliant observation!
In reply to Mazin Sami, Sep 29, 2012

I'm surprised no one else noticed how big it is and posted the before you! [/sarcasm]
--

I've stopped thinking in terms of "equivalent" focal lengths on m43. 25mm is what it is, and what it might be similar to on some other format doesn't matter to me any more. We need to learn what to expect from our current equipment, not keep mapping it to the old. No one refers to their 50mm FF lens as "equivalent to 80mm on MF."

Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mazin Sami
Regular MemberPosts: 328Gear list
Like?
Re: Wow, brilliant observation!
In reply to Bob Meyer, Sep 29, 2012
 Mazin Sami's gear list:Mazin Sami's gear list
Sony RX100 II Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Nikon D7100
dotborg
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,551
Like?
Really?
Mazin Sami
Like?
Re: Really?
In reply to dotborg, Sep 29, 2012

Really?

Honestly, I don't know what you mean by "Really" and the link you just posted. Size wise the Sony would kill the GH3, and sensor size. It's like the small people against giant people.

The GH3 is clearly the biggest looser here, on matter how you twist it.

azazel1024
Senior MemberPosts: 1,093Gear list
Like?
Re: Try This...
In reply to amalric, Sep 29, 2012

Sure. I'd never want a FF camera for longer lenses. It is among the reasons I also decided on my E-M5.

If done properly, ultra wides aren't an issue with a short register distance and actually you'd still have a bigger issue with FF and a short register distance than you would in m4/3 and a short register distance as far as I know with micro lensing and loss of light gathering because of the angle of the incident light.

That said, a FF ILC would generally not be at an advantage in lens size for the same field of view coverage and lens speed as a smaller format. It could generally be at least a slightly advantage in lens size comapred to FF dSLR and in some cases a fairly large advantage. For camera size, it would be at a large advantage over a FF dSLR.

Compared to smaller formats, well big camera format is still big.
--

Many things dealing with Olympus and their OM and Pen cameras, plus my general photography and musings http://omexperience.wordpress.com/

azazel1024's gear list:azazel1024's gear list
Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +10 more
amalric
Forum ProPosts: 10,806
Like?
Problems at the edges...
In reply to azazel1024, Sep 29, 2012

with short register.
All mirrorless have them, and they are worst the bigger the format.
See the RX1:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2012/09/lens-test.html

a 35mm eq, is only a moderate WA

azazel1024 wrote:

Sure. I'd never want a FF camera for longer lenses. It is among the reasons I also decided on my E-M5.

If done properly, ultra wides aren't an issue with a short register distance and actually you'd still have a bigger issue with FF and a short register distance than you would in m4/3 and a short register distance as far as I know with micro lensing and loss of light gathering because of the angle of the incident light.

That said, a FF ILC would generally not be at an advantage in lens size for the same field of view coverage and lens speed as a smaller format. It could generally be at least a slightly advantage in lens size comapred to FF dSLR and in some cases a fairly large advantage. For camera size, it would be at a large advantage over a FF dSLR.

Compared to smaller formats, well big camera format is still big.
--

-- hide signature --
Mazin Sami
Like?
Re: Problems at the edges...
In reply to amalric, Sep 29, 2012

with short register.
All mirrorless have them, and they are worst the bigger the format.
See the RX1:

I think, that is more like depth of field issue. If you look at ball in focus "center" you'll see it's out of focus at the edges.

Cheers.

dotborg
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,551
Like?

Mazin Sami wrote:

Really?

Honestly, I don't know what you mean by "Really" and the link you just posted. Size wise the Sony would kill the GH3, and sensor size. It's like the small people against giant people.

The GH3 is clearly the biggest looser here, on matter how you twist it.

It was just for some ironic fun.

-- hide signature --

Really, there is no God.
http://www.pbase.com/dot_borg

Mazin Sami
Like?
In reply to dotborg, Sep 30, 2012

It was just for some ironic fun.

Photography is fun. And always going to be fun.

Cheers.

Bob Meyer
Like?
You are clueless, aren't you?
In reply to Mazin Sami, Sep 30, 2012

About 100 people before you have commented on the size of this camera. Your thread is not only late to the party, it adds no new information. Clearly, you posted only to stir the pot (which you did very successfully).

I think the word for people who start threads like this is, umm, let me think: TROLL.

Yes, that's it.

Mazin Sami wrote:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#380.306,381.352,351.349,wa,t

Cheers

-- hide signature --

I've stopped thinking in terms of "equivalent" focal lengths on m43. 25mm is what it is, and what it might be similar to on some other format doesn't matter to me any more. We need to learn what to expect from our current equipment, not keep mapping it to the old. No one refers to their 50mm FF lens as "equivalent to 80mm on MF."

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +12 more
Bob Meyer
Like?
No it's not.
In reply to dpalugyay, Sep 30, 2012

Learn to read.

dpalugyay wrote:

Wider than the Canon.

http://camerasize.com/compact/#289,380,381,da,t

-- hide signature --

Mazin Sami
Like?
Re: You are clueless, aren't you?
In reply to Bob Meyer, Oct 1, 2012

About 100 people before you have commented on the size of this camera. Your thread is not only late to the party, it adds no new information. Clearly, you posted only to stir the pot (which you did very successfully).

I think the word for people who start threads like this is, umm, let me think: TROLL.

Yes, that's it.

Trolling is what "you" do normally, that is the nature of your existence on m43, you're unpleasant and inconsiderate human being, insensitive and devoid of any talent .

Cheers

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads