Can any XP1 owners comment on weather sealing?

Started Sep 25, 2012 | Discussions
ispress
Forum MemberPosts: 96Gear list
Like?
Can any XP1 owners comment on weather sealing?
Sep 25, 2012

Disclaimer: I recognize that the X-Pro 1 and X-E1 are not weather sealed cameras. But I have an X-E1 on pre-order and, while I don't plan to take it out in thunderstorms or on rafting trips, I do plan to use it on hikes and on camping trips.

I'm therefore hoping that some XP1 owners might be able to give some insight into how that camera and Fuji's X-mount lenses cope with dust, the occasional rain droplet, and temperature variations. It would be reassuring to hear that these cameras and lenses are fairly robust, even if they're not technically weather sealed.

Thanks much for any insight.

ispress's gear list:ispress's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
miniTO
Regular MemberPosts: 235
Like?
Re: Can any XP1 owners comment on weather sealing?
In reply to ispress, Sep 25, 2012

Its absolutely no problem... I do a lot of portaging in Northern Ontario and I have had my X-Pro 1 since March with about 300km of back country trips with no problems. This past weekend it saw below zero with no issues in use.

It is holding up just as well as my previous Canon FF setup. As long as you take the appropriate precautions it will be fine... Which I should mention apply to any camera regardless of weather sealing.

Its also been a lot more pleasant dragging it around the backcountry due to weight

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,185
Like?

I have lots of dust in my 18 and some in my 35. No problems with body. Camera is used mostly at home, a few times at the park.

miniTO
Regular MemberPosts: 235
Like?
In reply to hellocrowley, Sep 25, 2012

That is strange you have so much dust in the 18 and 35.

I just doubled check mine and both are clear. The only thing I do have are B+W MRC Nano Filters on each of them but that is about it. I also never use the lens caps and just rely on the hood/UV for protection.

LaFonte
Senior MemberPosts: 2,648Gear list
Like?

I never take much precaution with any camera from rain, my philosophy is, if it should break so be it, better than have it at home safely in drawer. And with todays technology I usually change cams often anyway.

So far not a single camera broke due to the weather. Last summer I used x100 in france and it was constant rain. Didn't do anything. This year I had x100 on a sail boat - works like charm.

The weather sealing is important more for a dust. If you go to desert, or very dusty place your camera will be dead or unusable within a week guaranteed. And you can't properly shield from dust.unlike from water. If you threat camera like yourself inrain it will be fine (unless you enjoy soaking in rain)

LaFonte's gear list:LaFonte's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,185
Like?
In reply to miniTO, Sep 26, 2012

I don't use any filter on the 18 but had a polarizer on the 35 for a while.

miniTO wrote:

That is strange you have so much dust in the 18 and 35.

I just doubled check mine and both are clear. The only thing I do have are B+W MRC Nano Filters on each of them but that is about it. I also never use the lens caps and just rely on the hood/UV for protection.

panela
Regular MemberPosts: 138Gear list
Like?
In reply to ispress, Sep 26, 2012

I think fairly robust sums it up. I have the X Pro 1 and have used it whilst travelling by motorcycle - occasional rain did not do any damage - of course, with a bit of precaution. We also had an extremely dry summer and the dust from farmers' fields was the worst its been in years - still no problem. I don't abuse the camera but I do use it and it has had several good thumps while being in the saddlebag - again, no problem.

Cheers

TitusXIII
Regular MemberPosts: 449Gear list
Like?

No matter how many forums you post your question in, the bottom line is you'll be getting the same answer:
NO!

You've been given the answer in the other forum but you find it fit to trouble the users on this forum as well as if you did not know any better.

So, instead of wasting precious bandwidth, all you need to do is remember to remove your precious X from your umbilical cord before you dive into a nonsense swimming pool.

TitusXIII's gear list:TitusXIII's gear list
Pentax Optio W90 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon PowerShot S110 Ricoh GR Nikon D80 +5 more
ispress
Forum MemberPosts: 96Gear list
Like?
In reply to TitusXIII, Sep 26, 2012

TitusXIII wrote:

No matter how many forums you post your question in, the bottom line is you'll be getting the same answer:
NO!

You've been given the answer in the other forum but you find it fit to trouble the users on this forum as well as if you did not know any better.

So, instead of wasting precious bandwidth, all you need to do is remember to remove your precious X from your umbilical cord before you dive into a nonsense swimming pool.

I'm sorry, but I think you are confusing me with someone else. This is the first time I've ever asked this question or seen it addressed anywhere.

ispress's gear list:ispress's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
teohyc
Regular MemberPosts: 340Gear list
Like?

I've lots of dust in my 18mm also. Glad to see I'm not alone.

Much less dust in the 35mm but I use that less.

teohyc's gear list:teohyc's gear list
Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
xb70fan
Contributing MemberPosts: 900
Like?
In reply to teohyc, Sep 26, 2012

Back in July my GF and I were running for the train in Toronto and got caught in a really bad shower. This was one of those monsoon type downpours. I had my XP1 in my Courierware bag.

Back at home a few hours later I got around to opening my bag and saw my XP1 sitting in a little puddle of water (maybe .25"). Stupid of me to not have checked the bag at the train station. I figure the rain was coming down so hard it ran down the straps right into the bag.

I removed the battery and SD card put it in a bag with some silica packs. I let it sit for a few days and powered it up. Everything worked fine but there were about a half dozen bright spots behind (in front?) of the LCD. At this point I put it on a desk with a lamp pointed towards it. After a few more days there were a couple of spots left, and they were smaller.

They're still there, perhaps a bit smaller still, but I can only see them if I'm previewing a pic with a clear background (ie. sky or something bright).

Not sure how the moisture got in behind the screen.

Now I always keep a big ziplock bag in my bag, and a few small silica packs ... just in case.

-- hide signature --

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Fuji X100 / Fuji X-Pro 1 / Nikon V1

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads