Started Sep 25, 2012 | Discussions
MisterBG
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,372
Like?
Re: DAM software replacement for IDImager
In reply to bwheeler350, Oct 14, 2012

bwheeler350 wrote:

MisterBG wrote:

It puzzles me as to why people think it essential they  replace their software immediately it loses manufacturer support.

My copy of IDImager has not self destructed or ceased to work. It's still doing the excellent job that it always has and I see no reason to consider any alternative.

I'v

For my purposes, IDImager ceased to work when I got a Nikon D800. The large NEF files failed to process consistently. Thumbnails displayed with a red "X" instead of an image. I hoped for a 64 bit version to solve the problem, but the announcement of no further development rules that out. After some study, I've concluded that my current needs will be met by Lightroom 4.2 well enough to justify the transition work. Already happy with making the change. Hope others find good solutions too.

That's fair enough, if it won't work it don't work, and if I were in the same position then I'd find an alternative.

Out of interest, did you try a trial of "Photo Supreme" as a replacement for IDI? I've been playing with it, and although I've become more familiar with it, I still don't like it anything like as much as IDI. I looked at some of the other alternatives but I still haven't seen anything that works in a way I feel comfortable with. I've trialled Lightroom as a raw developer and I cannot get on with it, plus the number of problems that people are reporting having with it also puts me off. I'd also prefer not contribute any more money to the monster that is Adobe.

-- hide signature --

>To err is Human. To really foul things up you need a computer.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
fuego6
Senior MemberPosts: 1,694
Like?
In reply to MisterBG, Oct 14, 2012

MisterBG wrote:

bwheeler350 wrote:

MisterBG wrote:

It puzzles me as to why people think it essential they  replace their software immediately it loses manufacturer support.

My copy of IDImager has not self destructed or ceased to work. It's still doing the excellent job that it always has and I see no reason to consider any alternative.

I'v

For my purposes, IDImager ceased to work when I got a Nikon D800. The large NEF files failed to process consistently. Thumbnails displayed with a red "X" instead of an image. I hoped for a 64 bit version to solve the problem, but the announcement of no further development rules that out. After some study, I've concluded that my current needs will be met by Lightroom 4.2 well enough to justify the transition work. Already happy with making the change. Hope others find good solutions too.

That's fair enough, if it won't work it don't work, and if I were in the same position then I'd find an alternative.

Out of interest, did you try a trial of "Photo Supreme" as a replacement for IDI? I've been playing with it, and although I've become more familiar with it, I still don't like it anything like as much as IDI. I looked at some of the other alternatives but I still haven't seen anything that works in a way I feel comfortable with. I've trialled Lightroom as a raw developer and I cannot get on with it, plus the number of problems that people are reporting having with it also puts me off. I'd also prefer not contribute any more money to the monster that is Adobe.

-- hide signature --

I have read lots of reports of issues with LR too.. but - it continues to work great on my PC and the 4.2 update added a lot of speed which was my only true complaint.  As a RAW editor, it certainly does all I need it to do, with tools that make multiple image changes simple as pie!  As a DAM... welll... it has some power issues but is still very usable.  I actually like the "one stop shopping" I can see in LR - all my images edits and ability to find my images in one place.  Add to that the ability to custom create print layouts (can't do that in Supreme), built in GPS (again... nope in supreme) and all the filtering and 3rd party plugins I want - it really is a great program.

Some items I hope they work on next round - the ability to create your own "modules"... I'm not a huge fan of jumping from module to module... I much prefer the ability to create my own workspace - one where I can have the keyword panel, GPS panel and perhaps a few Develop tools all available to do one stop shopping as a first go around.   Also, their keyword entry is a bit weak - I want a more visual hierarchical system.

However, it is FAST... faster than supreme even and certainly lightning compared to idi5...  in the end, each makes their own decision - its nice to have lots of choices though all aren't perfect.

photomy
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
In reply to K-Murat, Oct 15, 2012

K-Murat wrote:

Hi there,

Check out Daaminion (the standalone version is free).

It supports XMP, IPTC including hierarchical tags in a range of media formats including camera RAW formats. Just import a few sample folders from your existing image collection to check that all your annotations will be correctly imported into the new program.

One of the Daminion benefits - it's ability to automatically sync all tags with file metadata, without user action (can be switched off). Another benefit is a true multi-user access. The next one is it's focus in image cataloging and clean UI.

Ps, I work on Daminion Software and can answer to any questions related to Daminion.

I tried this software and so far a really like the ease of use.  How much will it cost?  I do not want to get used to something that is more than I wish to spend when it is finalized.  Congratulations on a great program.

= tommy

Valant
Regular MemberPosts: 221
Like?
In reply to MisterBG, Oct 16, 2012

I have been using expression media. I did buy media 1 pro (essentially the same as expression media) in order to stay up to date but the improvements created too many problems! (slow, crashes and I did not like the interface). So I reverted to EM which has been working okay without support the last 2 years or so, however over a year or two?? (win 8 and so on). I had been toying with IDimager and had the expectation that Camera bits (photo mechanic) would have something out by now.

Creating good DAM software is apparently a very difficult thing to do.

fuego6
Like?
In reply to Valant, Oct 17, 2012

Valant wrote:

Creating good DAM software is apparently a very difficult thing to do.

I think it is more of not worth marketing such a product except from smaller developers - the market for DAM products is actually quite small... most folks snap snap away but never bother to truly catalog their photos and rarely look back at them beyond posting to facebook.  For the rest, picasa offers most everything the average joe and mom could want... for pro journalist and stock photographers, there is photomechanic.

In the end, the market for such niche products such as iMatch and Idimager is very small and the complex bells and whistles are only used by a small group - not enough folks to sustain a larger business for long I'm afraid.

malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,790
Like?
In reply to fuego6, Oct 17, 2012

fuego6 wrote:

I think it is more of not worth marketing such a product except from smaller developers - the market for DAM products is actually quite small... most folks snap snap away but never bother to truly catalog their photos and rarely look back at them beyond posting to facebook.  For the rest, picasa offers most everything the average joe and mom could want...

Yup, there's not much of a market with amateurs or even pro photographers.

More demand from large corporations with significant digital asset collections but they tend to have somewhat different needs.

> for pro journalist and stock photographers, there is photomechanic.

Except that PhotoMechanic isn't really a DAM system; just one small (albeit important) part of a complete system. There's no catalog or searching capability and that's fairly basic.

fuego6
Like?
In reply to malch, Oct 17, 2012

malch wrote:

> for pro journalist and stock photographers, there is photomechanic.

Except that PhotoMechanic isn't really a DAM system; just one small (albeit important) part of a complete system. There's no catalog or searching capability and that's fairly basic.

Yes.. but photojournalists and stock photographers RARELY go back and look at "their" photos again.. they need to add metadata in a very specific fashion with lots of tags and then they shoot them off to their productions teams, clear their memory cards and move on to the next assignment.  So, for that, PM is perfect as it allow for great job capabilities...  PM will have a catalog portion as well some day (been waiting a loonng time!)

malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,790
Like?
In reply to fuego6, Oct 17, 2012

fuego6 wrote:

Yes.. but photojournalists and stock photographers RARELY go back and look at "their" photos again.. they need to add metadata in a very specific fashion with lots of tags and then they shoot them off to their productions teams, clear their memory cards and move on to the next assignment.  So, for that, PM is perfect as it allow for great job capabilities...

So they're not actually doing very much Digital Asset Management, are they?

Yes, I agree PM is excellent for the tagging that they need.

Much less so for the user who wants to search a catalog of their images.

PalmOrphan
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?
In reply to malch, Oct 18, 2012

I have been using IMatch (www.photools.com) for some years now. While the UI needs some refresh (as someone said before, a new version is in close beta now),  IMatch has proven rock-solid and feature-rich.  I particularly appreciate the fact that there is a scripting engine (VB-like) that spurs the creation of many user-script.

The tagging system is extremely rich, is stored in XML, and can be exported at will so I feel super-safe in case something happens (such as the developer winning the mega-millions lottery - or the Euro-Jackpot in his case).

I am not associated in anyway with the company or the developer (I am such a happy paying user)

MisterBG
Like?
In reply to PalmOrphan, Oct 18, 2012

PalmOrphan wrote:

I have been using IMatch (www.photools.com) for some years now. While the UI needs some refresh (as someone said before, a new version is in close beta now),  IMatch has proven rock-solid and feature-rich.  I particularly appreciate the fact that there is a scripting engine (VB-like) that spurs the creation of many user-script.

The tagging system is extremely rich, is stored in XML, and can be exported at will so I feel super-safe in case something happens (such as the developer winning the mega-millions lottery - or the Euro-Jackpot in his case).

I was (am still) a paid-up user of IMatch, and for jpg images it was excellent. The IPTC editor enabled title, copyright, image tags to be stored inside the image file. However I found the problem came when using XMP sidecar files. IMatch does not automatically add image tags from the IPTC editor into XMP files, you have to use the separate XMP editor, which is a nightmare to use. I had extensive correspondence on the IMatch forum about this, and it seemed the majority agreed with me. In the end I decided that IMatch was not for me, looked around and found IDImager. The great thing about the keyword editor in IDImager is that it is transparent to the user. The tagging information is automatically written to the XMP sidecar file or to the image file, without further intervention by the user, which I think is how it should be. Despite promises of a new, fully featured version "just around the corner", I see that IDImager is still at v3.6, the one I gave up on in July 2010. I know IMatch is very much a one man show, but over 2 years is a ridiculous length of time for an update. With the demise of IDImager I may go back and look at IMatch when the new version is released.
My requirements, as an amateur, are quite simple. Once I've downloaded my images, I add my name and copyright information, Image Title and description and keywords.
Having done that, and saved the information, all I want to do is search using keywords for specific images, for example "river thames, bridges, night" to find all the pictures I have of bridges over the river Thames taken at night. Surely this is not a lot to ask for, and something I find IDImager does quite well.
One thing I do not want is the need to generate "user scripts." I'm not a computer programmer and I don't want to have to write my own program in order to do something that should be an integral part of the program in the first place.

-- hide signature --

fuego6
Like?
In reply to MisterBG, Oct 18, 2012
 Despite promises of a new, fully featured version "just around the corner", I see that IDImager is still at v3.6, the one I gave up on in July 2010. I know IMatch is very much a one man show, but over 2 years is a ridiculous length of time for an update. With the demise of IDImager I may go back and look at IMatch when the new version is released.

My requirements, as an amateur, are quite simple. Once I've downloaded my images, I add my name and copyright information, Image Title and description and keywords.
Having done that, and saved the information, all I want to do is search using keywords for specific images, for example "river thames, bridges, night" to find all the pictures I have of bridges over the river Thames taken at night. Surely this is not a lot to ask for, and something I find IDImager does quite well.
One thing I do not want is the need to generate "user scripts." I'm not a computer programmer and I don't want to have to write my own program in order to do something that should be an integral part of the program in the first place.

-- hide signature --

Idimager is actually discontinued.. but is up to version 5.1 and is LIGHT YEARS better than what you were/are using in v3.6.  You should check out Idimager Supreme... it is much more basic compared to what you can do in 5.1 - but, the UI has been refreshed, the speed is amazing and all the general functionality that you need (based on your description above) is in place.

Although I agree that basic functionality is important, to me, the ability to further leverage the program via scripts is a huge addition... especially when it comes to metadata manipulation and GPS data usage.

Good luck!

MisterBG
Like?
In reply to fuego6, Oct 19, 2012

fuego6 wrote:

Despite promises of a new, fully featured version "just around the corner", I see that IDImager is still at v3.6, the one I gave up on in July 2010. I know IMatch is very much a one man show, but over 2 years is a ridiculous length of time for an update. With the demise of IDImager I may go back and look at IMatch when the new version is released.

Idimager is actually discontinued.. but is up to version 5.1 and is LIGHT YEARS better than what you were/are using in v3.6.  You should check out Idimager Supreme... it is much more basic compared to what you can do in 5.1 - but, the UI has been refreshed, the speed is amazing and all the general functionality that you need (based on your description above) is in place.

Although I agree that basic functionality is important, to me, the ability to further leverage the program via scripts is a huge addition... especially when it comes to metadata manipulation and GPS data usage.

Good luck!

Sorry, I was mixing up my IDImager and IMatch versions previously. I meant that IMatch was still at the 3.6 edition that I gave up over two years ago.

If you read my earlier post you would see that I am using, and I am quite happy with, IDImager, which I switched to after using IMatch.
I am happy to continue using IDImager at it's current version (v5.3.1.6) although I've noticed a problem with some of the thumbnail displays recently.
I downloaded a trial of Photo Supreme and I don't find it as easy to use for what I need than IDI. To make things even more annoying, my "30 day evaluation trial" of Photo Supreme has stopped working with a time expired message after just 15 days.

I've been looking at most of the alternatives and although Photo Mechanic looks attractive, I can not justify the cost of purchase.
So far, the one that is looking most suitable for my needs is Zoner Photo Studio 14, which just happens to be a free program.

As has been discussed previously, it seems that DAM programs are a very personal thing, and what suits me does not necessarily suit the next person. This is echoed in the number of different DAM programs that are available, most of which seem to take a different approach to image management.
As I said above my requirements are quite simple. Once I've downloaded my images, I add my name and copyright information, Image Title and description and keywords. Having done that, and saved the information, all I want to do is search using keywords for specific images.

So basically, a simple IPTC editor allowing the addition of Title, description, copyright information and keywords, plus the abilty to search based on those keywords is really all I'm looking for.

-- hide signature --

fuego6
Like?
In reply to MisterBG, Oct 19, 2012

- I should have caught that myself before posting!

Sounds like you will benefit from most any DAM program then... I have (and use) Zoner and do think it is a seriously underlooked program - most folks don't even know about it.

I also think you might benefit from Daminion - currently in development still but free to use and review and quite well put together with an active support base (and developer).

Good luck... hope you find what you want - it is a dicey market for sure!

MisterBG
Like?
In reply to fuego6, Oct 19, 2012

I said

"all I want to do is search using keywords for specific images.
So basically, a simple IPTC editor allowing the addition of Title, description, copyright information and keywords, plus the abilty to search based on those keywords is really all I'm looking for."

To which I should have added, "plus the ability to right-click on an image and be presented with a menu that says "Edit with..." to allow me to select the editor of my choice (just like IDImager does at present."

One thing I do not need in my DAM program is an image editor, there are enough of those around already.

-- hide signature --

fuego6
Like?
In reply to MisterBG, Oct 19, 2012

Sounds like you would be able to use just about any DAM application on the market at the moment.. those that don't have a dedicated Edit In.. still allow you to drag/drop into an application - this works well for docked program icons too.

MisterBG
Like?
In reply to fuego6, Oct 20, 2012

fuego6 wrote:

Sounds like you would be able to use just about any DAM application on the market at the moment.. those that don't have a dedicated Edit In.. still allow you to drag/drop into an application - this works well for docked program icons too.

You would think that, but my trials seem to reveal otherwise.

I rather like Breeze Browser, although the interface looks rather dated, but as far as I can see, it's purely a browser and it has no search facility.
Daminion I find non-intuitive, and stare at the screen with no clue as to what to do to get the program to do what I want, and I don't like the idea of it creating the database in "My Computer", I'd prefer it elsewhere and I haven't found how to change the file destination, from what you say, maybe I should give it another chance (if all else fails read the instructions!).
I've also looked at Picajet, which looked promising, ACDSee free, which I simply don't like (and also wants to be the editor I don't need), VVP - which I don't like but cannot recall why and deleted it quickly, and DigiKam, which I only tried on my fairly slow laptop, but appears to be the slowest running program I've come across in a long time.
My "30 day trial" of PhotoSupreme has ceased to work after only 15 days, so I cannot explore that any further. A post on their forum elicited the response "do you have an internet connection problem?" to which the answer is NO. I'm awaiting a further response on that. My initial impression of PhotoSupreme was that the adding of copyright, title, description and tags was not as simple and straight forward as in IDImager, and I certainly don't need a "Controlled Vocabulary" when it comes to assigning tags to my images.
I'm probably going to explore Zoner Photo Studio some more, since it looks very promising, the fact it's free being a bonus, although I'm quite willing to pay a reasonable amount for the right program, which puts Photo Mechanic outside of my budget.

-- hide signature --

fuego6
Like?
In reply to MisterBG, Oct 20, 2012

Daminion is a new version of Picajet - same developer.. just a lot more functionality and getting better all the time.  The UI is a bit "old school" and I"m also not entirely thrilled with all the drop down buttons and current layout.. but Murat has promised a UI editor and workspace ability so that should help dramatically.

I too have tested a TON of products... and have found LR to be ok for what I currently need to do.. tag images in a hierarchical fashion, search for images and apply GPS and location data, and create unique print templates for multiphoto printing.  The fact I can do all this in a single place and edit my images (JPG and RAW) has won me over.  Sure - there are tons of DAM features missing from LR that should be there by now - but, with the many addons and plugins available, I can get by just fine using them.

I like Zoner and have the PRO version.. lots of functionality for a great price.. and pretty fast too!  Does about all most folks need it to do... lots of fun stuff!

MisterBG
Like?
In reply to fuego6, Oct 20, 2012

I just returned to IMatch and looked at the "Teaser" document for V5 and I must say it looks very interesting, particularly as it says it's using a single editor to write and store all the Metadata, which is something I had lengthy debate about on the IMatch forum some time ago. The previous method of using separate editors for IPTC and XMP data was cumbersome in the extreme.
No doubt he will want more money for the upgrade, but as a registered user I hope the price will be favorable. I await the release of the full version with interest.

-- hide signature --

fuego6
Like?
In reply to MisterBG, Oct 21, 2012

Yes.. me too.. was hoping to get into the closed beta but alas I'm not a senior enough user there.. awaiting the open beta to take it for a spin as well.

K-Murat
Forum MemberPosts: 58
Like?
In reply to photomy, Oct 22, 2012

fuego6 and photomy sorry for the delay with answer (I wasn't subscribed to receiving notifications about new replies).

Daminion will be free up to 0.99 version. After that we'll split it into 2 versions: Free and Pro. An approximate price for Pro version (~$99-149 US), including various bonuses for migrating from competitors, publishing reviews, participating in testing, etc, etc...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads