Hands-On and Images of the Fujifilm X-E1 & 35mm f/1.4R lens

Started Sep 25, 2012 | Discussions
drxcm
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?
MF behaviour
In reply to Lakeview Man, Sep 25, 2012

Can you comment on the functionality and handling when using manual focus on this camera?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ispress
Forum MemberPosts: 96Gear list
Like?
Re: Hands-On and Images of the Fujifilm X-E1 & 35mm f/1.4R lens
In reply to Lakeview Man, Sep 26, 2012

RAW not supported?

The X-E1 supports RAW.

ispress's gear list:ispress's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
webgeek
Regular MemberPosts: 323
Like?
In reply to ELLIOT P STERN, Sep 26, 2012

Hi Elliot;

I shoot with the bigger Sony A77 as well as NEX-7 and really think the EVF is nice and quick. I successfully shoot many panning shots with great results even with fill-in flash while panning.

When I read the spec of the X-E1 EVF with OLED 2.3 megapixels I was happy because I really don't like the Hybrid Viewfinder implementation on the X-100. I am totally happy with just EVF only. However, after shooting with this camera, I always noticed the EVF lags and it happens in all situation, not just dark places. I notice it even in good day light shooting. So I think the processing power for the EVF refresh rate is still not quite good enough on Fujifilm X-E1.

This aspect really make for a not-so pleasing shooting experience. If this EVF is the same as the Sony NEX-7 and A77 then I have no hesitation to buy this camera at all.

ELLIOT P STERN wrote:

Thanks for the great images. I too have concerns about the lag time. That is now and was before my only concern. I can make one note however. I just got back from doing a workshop in Cape Cod Ma which my company ran and I did some comparison shooting with my Olympus OMD bodies and the Fuji X pro 1 (prior to upgrade to 2.0 on Fuji.

I was surprised to suddenly find that the Olympus also had a shutter lag. The imaging from both cameras was superb. I have not shot with the Nex 7 so I cannot make a lag time comparison but for most of what I shoot from street to Landscape, the lag has not been a major problem. 95 percent of the time it does not cause me to lose a shot.

This seems to be an inherent problem with LCD finders, not only with Fuji but others as well.
--
El

Gear. 2 Omd, all the lenses, Ep3, Ep2, Ep1 infrared, Fuji X100, Fuji x pro 1, all the Fuji lenses, Voigtlander 15,21,28,50,75,90,180. Nikon 55 macro, 200 macro and Zeiss 100mm macro, Induro Tripods and heads, etc. Ricoh GXR and modules including Leica M

ulrikem
Regular MemberPosts: 194Gear list
Like?
In reply to ispress, Sep 26, 2012

ispress wrote:

RAW not supported?

The X-E1 supports RAW.

The RAWs out of the box are unlikely to be supported by any raw converter right now - I think that's what he meant. (Because they are tagged as being shot by the X-E1, which none of the converters supports right now).

Of course you could hex-edit the RAWs and replace every occurrence of "X-E1" by "X-Pro1" to make the raw converter happy. (There should be no difference between pictures shot by these 2 cameras otherwise)

ulrikem's gear list:ulrikem's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +1 more
webgeek
Like?
Re: MF behaviour
In reply to drxcm, Sep 26, 2012

Hi;

I did not try manual focusing with the camera so I have no direct experiences.

drxcm wrote:

Can you comment on the functionality and handling when using manual focus on this camera?

webgeek
Like?
In reply to ulrikem, Sep 26, 2012

Sorry to misinform. What I meant was Lightroom and PS Camera Raw currently does not have RAW support for this camera yet. The camera itself does take RAW. My main post-processing is Lightroom 4.

ulrikem wrote:

ispress wrote:

RAW not supported?

The X-E1 supports RAW.

The RAWs out of the box are unlikely to be supported by any raw converter right now - I think that's what he meant. (Because they are tagged as being shot by the X-E1, which none of the converters supports right now).

Of course you could hex-edit the RAWs and replace every occurrence of "X-E1" by "X-Pro1" to make the raw converter happy. (There should be no difference between pictures shot by these 2 cameras otherwise)

moimoi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,885Gear list
Like?
In reply to webgeek, Sep 26, 2012

webgeek wrote:

Just wanted to share some images I took using the new Fujifilm X-E1 and my first impression. I am in the market for a 2nd camera to compliment my Sony NEX-7 and this is one camera I am thinking of buying. I have used all X-Series Camera and sold them all simply because I cannot live with the slow AF. To me AF is the most important decision. So I am eager to see how this camera perform with the new improved AF that Fujifilm claim. I really like the images that comes out of this camera. I have only shoot JPEG since RAW is not supported. Great ISO up to 3200.

Goods:

• Awesome Dynamic Range

• Awesome ISO up to 3200

• Love the Fujifilm color styles implementation

• Love the AF button to allow me quick focus point selection

• I like the Menu, better than my Sony NEX-7

• Love the Macro feature to allow me to get closer and shoot

• Good battery life, Fujifilm improve in this respect

• Love the click and shutter sounds, very nice and elegant

• Great Fujinon lens, very sharp and contrast same as my Carl Zeiss 24mm

• Made In Japan quality and the body is extremely nice all metals

Looks like a very appealing system.

Bads:

• EVF lags even at focus and bad when panning

• AF is still slow, not as snappy as my Sony NEX-7. I missed a lot of shoot

I am surprised you found the AF performance too slow for your taste. From what I have seen thus far, the AF performance has improved dramatically from the X-Pro1.

• Write to card is slower than most other camera I have tried

Which SD card did you use? Did you use the fastest card available?

• Don't like how they implement the lens cap on the lens, I drop it and almost lose it twice. Also with the lens cap on the lens is bigger than it needs to be. I would like the caps to put on reverse when not in use.

• Cannot rotate the LCD, I use this a lot on my SOny NEX-7

Not that it matters much I think. I think it could be easily fixed with a firmware.

• No Focus Peaking feature

That's indeed a heck of a feature to have in hands while shooting manual focus. Too bad

• NO Wifi and apps feature

That would have been a nice addition...oh well

• EV compensation only up to +-2EV

• Not enough lens to select at the moment

That may change in 2013, check the Fuji road-map. On the other hand, the NEX lens lineup is very poor.

• Quality of LCD is not as good as others, only 2.8" and 490,000 pixels

Will make mostly no difference by doubling the pixels, and probably consumes less battery power.

• Cost $1600 with the new 18-55mm f/2.8-4.0 coming out with it

Nope, 1399 USD with the zoom lens. The big question is how the kit zoom lens will perform. If not sharp, I will pass on this.

Personally, the only major drawback is the RAF files, which are not well supported by Adobe yet. Hopefully, they will be able to find a solution to the demosaicity issue with the X-trans sensor.

awelch100
Regular MemberPosts: 251Gear list
Like?
In reply to awelch100, Sep 26, 2012

This is also likely to be the reason for the perceived lag when writing to a card. The amount of time needed to process the sensor output into a raw file or jpeg is probably the reason for the delay, not the actual writing of the data itself.

awelch100's gear list:awelch100's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +4 more
hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,171
Like?
Re: Here are the images ....
In reply to webgeek, Sep 26, 2012

Vietnamese here. Great shots, awesome colors. Is this a temple in Saigon?

webgeek
Like?
Re: Here are the images ....
In reply to hellocrowley, Sep 27, 2012

Hello;

Yes this is a temple in Saigon. It is called Ngoc Hoang Temple. Very famous with lots of tourist visitors. My favorite temple to test ambient lights and dark mood with high ISO.

hellocrowley wrote:

Vietnamese here. Great shots, awesome colors. Is this a temple in Saigon?

webgeek
Like?
In reply to awelch100, Sep 27, 2012

I agreed. The total experience of EVF lags and writing to cards is somehow noticeable in the process of taking pictures, whereas it is seamless in my other cameras. I hope Fujifilm can fix these issue for a better shooting experience. Otherwise, I will be again not buying the camera after 4 tries (X-100,X-10, X-Pro1 and now X-E1).

It's a shame because I really like the sensors and images.

awelch100 wrote:

This is also likely to be the reason for the perceived lag when writing to a card. The amount of time needed to process the sensor output into a raw file or jpeg is probably the reason for the delay, not the actual writing of the data itself.

TThorne
Senior MemberPosts: 2,407Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lakeview Man, Sep 27, 2012

LOL, that isn't what he meant. The camera shoots RAW but the RAW support is not universally there yet.

Lakeview Man wrote:

webgeek wrote:

Just wanted to share some images I took using the new Fujifilm X-E1 and my first impression. I am in the market for a 2nd camera to compliment my Sony NEX-7 and this is one camera I am thinking of buying. I have used all X-Series Camera and sold them all simply because I cannot live with the slow AF. To me AF is the most important decision. So I am eager to see how this camera perform with the new improved AF that Fujifilm claim. I really like the images that comes out of this camera. I have only shoot JPEG since RAW is not supported. Great ISO up to 3200.

RAW not supported?

Happy I bought the X-pro1 then.

Very nice pictures!

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

TThorne's gear list:TThorne's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha 7S Leica Summilux-M 21mm f/1.4 Asph Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads