Hands-On and Images of the Fujifilm X-E1 & 35mm f/1.4R lens

Started Sep 25, 2012 | Discussions
webgeek
Regular MemberPosts: 323
Like?
Hands-On and Images of the Fujifilm X-E1 & 35mm f/1.4R lens
Sep 25, 2012

Just wanted to share some images I took using the new Fujifilm X-E1 and my first impression. I am in the market for a 2nd camera to compliment my Sony NEX-7 and this is one camera I am thinking of buying. I have used all X-Series Camera and sold them all simply because I cannot live with the slow AF. To me AF is the most important decision. So I am eager to see how this camera perform with the new improved AF that Fujifilm claim. I really like the images that comes out of this camera. I have only shoot JPEG since RAW is not supported. Great ISO up to 3200.

Goods:

• Awesome Dynamic Range

• Awesome ISO up to 3200

• Love the Fujifilm color styles implementation

• Love the AF button to allow me quick focus point selection

• I like the Menu, better than my Sony NEX-7

• Love the Macro feature to allow me to get closer and shoot

• Good battery life, Fujifilm improve in this respect

• Love the click and shutter sounds, very nice and elegant

• Great Fujinon lens, very sharp and contrast same as my Carl Zeiss 24mm

• Made In Japan quality and the body is extremely nice all metals

Bads:

• EVF lags even at focus and bad when panning

• AF is still slow, not as snappy as my Sony NEX-7. I missed a lot of shoot

• Write to card is slower than most other camera I have tried

• Don't like how they implement the lens cap on the lens, I drop it and almost lose it twice. Also with the lens cap on the lens is bigger than it needs to be. I would like the caps to put on reverse when not in use.

• Cannot rotate the LCD, I use this a lot on my SOny NEX-7

• No Focus Peaking feature

• NO Wifi and apps feature

• EV compensation only up to +-2EV

• Not enough lens to select at the moment

• Quality of LCD is not as good as others, only 2.8" and 490,000 pixels

• Cost $1600 with the new 18-55mm f/2.8-4.0 coming out with it

Fujifilm X-E1 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
pghrugger
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
Re: Hands-On and Images of the Fujifilm X-E1 & 35mm f/1.4R lens
In reply to webgeek, Sep 25, 2012

Can you comment on the EVF compared to the nex7? Being that is supposedly the same OLED panel? Not so much the lag and whatnot but the image quality.

Also, isn't the AF supposed to be improved with the new 18-55 lens?

And where are you getting the 1600 price with the 18-55 kit? Everything I've seen is 1400.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
webgeek
Like?
Here are the images ....
webgeek
Like?
In reply to pghrugger, Sep 25, 2012

The EVF is almost the same on both camera (Fujifilm X-E1 & Sony NEX-7) with 2.36mpx but the refresh processing of the EVF seems to provide lags. I guess this is something they can improve in firmware updates. On my NEX-7 the refresh EVF is faster. This is something I noticed right away. Since I have used my NEX-7 for 7 months.

I did not have the new 18-55mm f/2.8-4.0 to test since the Fuji guys here did not feel good about lending me that lens. They said it is still not calibrated good yet. So they lend me the 35mm f/1.4

They also told me that the 18-55mm lens will cost about $600, So I guess with the $1000 body + $600 = $16000.

I guess if you buy it as a kit it will be $1400. That is good price then....

pghrugger wrote:

Can you comment on the EVF compared to the nex7? Being that is supposedly the same OLED panel? Not so much the lag and whatnot but the image quality.

And where are you getting the 1600 price with the 18-55 kit? Everything I've seen is 1400.

pghrugger
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?

Gotcha, thanks for the info. GREAT shots btw.

webgeek wrote:

The EVF is almost the same on both camera (Fujifilm X-E1 & Sony NEX-7) with 2.36mpx but the refresh processing of the EVF seems to provide lags. I guess this is something they can improve in firmware updates. On my NEX-7 the refresh EVF is faster. This is something I noticed right away. Since I have used my NEX-7 for 7 months.

I did not have the new 18-55mm f/2.8-4.0 to test since the Fuji guys here did not feel good about lending me that lens. They said it is still not calibrated good yet. So they lend me the 35mm f/1.4

They also told me that the 18-55mm lens will cost about $600, So I guess with the $1000 body + $600 = $16000.

I guess if you buy it as a kit it will be $1400. That is good price then....

pghrugger wrote:

noshea
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?
In reply to pghrugger, Sep 25, 2012

Thanks for this informative post and nice photos. The ISO does indeed look excellent and the colours remind me of Olympus, which is a very good thing.

Luke_S
Regular MemberPosts: 128
Like?
Re: Here are the images ....

Finally some real shots. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

http://www.epicure.pl | between the walls and pieces of plastic we breathe

geraldPP
Senior MemberPosts: 1,201
Like?

Hi Peter!

Great pictures from your early tests from the XE-1...can't wait to see the rest in 500px!

Why does Vietnam always get the early scoops and new gear? I remember they also had the earliest iPhone scoops.

regards,
gerald

http://www.500px.com/geraldgay/sets

TitusXIII
Regular MemberPosts: 449Gear list
Like?
EXIF missing camera type and OP photos cropped
In reply to Luke_S, Sep 25, 2012

I find it strange that the EXIF data is missing the camera type.
All of the flickr samples I saw do show the camera as being the XE-1.

Another strange thing: the OP photos get cropped by the lateral frames when expanded, yet the same pictures duplicated in the reply do overlap over the frames when expanded, like they always do on the dpr site.
Never seen that before.
Something wrong with the dpr code or what?

TitusXIII's gear list:TitusXIII's gear list
Pentax Optio W90 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon PowerShot S110 Ricoh GR Nikon D80 +5 more
Joachim Gerstl
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,571Gear list
Like?

Great, colorful shots! What a wonderful place.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +15 more
jcespite
Regular MemberPosts: 152Gear list
Like?

I don't believe the refresh rate could be fixed in firmware or they would have addressed the x1-pro and the x100 by now.

Anyhow, we will have to wait and see, I am interested in this camera and this would be a don't buy if the EVF has issues.

jcespite's gear list:jcespite's gear list
Leica M8 Leica Elmarit-M 24mm f/2.8 ASPH Leica Summarit-M 35mm f/2.5 Leica Summarit-M 50mm f/2.5 OnePlus One
Slinky I
Regular MemberPosts: 120Gear list
Like?

Great pictures!

What internal camera settings (if any) did you use??

Color, film type, etc.

Thanks!

ispress
Forum MemberPosts: 96Gear list
Like?
In reply to Slinky I, Sep 25, 2012

I've got an X-E1 on pre-order, so I want to love this camera. However, this video of the EVF (which surfaced in a different thread) is not super encouraging. Not sure if it's a deal killer, but the jumpiness on zoom and the lag after taking a picture are both concerns. Hopefully the latter is caused by the lack of a memory card.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjhSWXI6YIc

ispress's gear list:ispress's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
webgeek
Like?
In reply to geraldPP, Sep 25, 2012

Hi Gerald;

Thanks on the images. I returned the camera today. Was able to play with it for 2 days and one full-charge battery. I have a set of Sony NEX-7 but after using this new camera I am starting to like the JPEG colors and the obvious dynamic range that comes out of the camera. The noise control is awesome too. Too bad I cannot play with RAW, since I am a RAW shooter on all my camera. I guess the RAW is going to be awesome too.

It's funny Vietnam is a poor country, but for some reason electronics and camera always seems to be available ahead of the pack. I remember buying a Canon 5D Mark II 2 months in advance of my friends in the US. A couple of my friends here already have their hands on the new iPhone 5 and are going out to celebrate their new love. I could buy one today if I wanted too from a dealer friend.

geraldPP wrote:

Hi Peter!

Great pictures from your early tests from the XE-1...can't wait to see the rest in 500px!

Why does Vietnam always get the early scoops and new gear? I remember they also had the earliest iPhone scoops.

regards,
gerald

http://www.500px.com/geraldgay/sets

webgeek
Like?
In reply to Slinky I, Sep 25, 2012

I set everything to normal. No Fuji color style. I make sure of that. I don't want Velvia Color Style to influence the colors and contrast. I also turn off the Long Exposure NR. I set Auto ISO to 1600, but sometime forced the ISO t 3200 intentionally to test noise. I shoot Av and selectively pick my AF points for focusing. I also make the focusing square a bit smaller for accuracy.

So in all, I wanted to turn everything off and use the standard setting the camera came with. The JPEG is incredible and the colors are so nice and pretty. Noise is striking. I can say that noise is on par with my Canon 5D Mark II images at 3200. The 35mm lens is sharp and contrast. The only thing that is bugging me with all the X-Series camera that I used is the AF issue. It is not as snappy as I would like it to be. I missed a lot of shot where I normally would catch. The EVF is nice and bright with clear details but there is noticeable lags after it got focused as well as when I pan the camera. I intentionally pan the camera with both camera to see the effect. And my Sony NEX-7 EVF show no lags.

Hope these details are helpful... Overall, I love the images that come out of the camera. I am still thinking about it. I want to see how I can overcome the EVF and AF issue.

Slinky I wrote:

Great pictures!

What internal camera settings (if any) did you use??

Color, film type, etc.

Thanks!

webgeek
Like?
Re: EXIF missing camera type and OP photos cropped
In reply to TitusXIII, Sep 25, 2012

Hi Titus;

I don't know why the Camera Model did not show up in these images. When I open the image in Photoshop and did a File Info. I can see the Fujifilm X-E1 in the Camera Data EXIF tab.

TitusXIII wrote:

I find it strange that the EXIF data is missing the camera type.
All of the flickr samples I saw do show the camera as being the XE-1.

Another strange thing: the OP photos get cropped by the lateral frames when expanded, yet the same pictures duplicated in the reply do overlap over the frames when expanded, like they always do on the dpr site.
Never seen that before.
Something wrong with the dpr code or what?

webgeek
Like?
In reply to Joachim Gerstl, Sep 25, 2012

Thanks, this is a nice dark temple near where I live in Vietnam. I always go here when i have a new camera to test, since the lighting is nice and rays at 11:30. Lots of angle to test high ISO with great ambience and atmosphere.

Joachim Gerstl wrote:

Great, colorful shots! What a wonderful place.

-- hide signature --
ELLIOT P STERN
Contributing MemberPosts: 630Gear list
Like?

Thanks for the great images. I too have concerns about the lag time. That is now and was before my only concern. I can make one note however. I just got back from doing a workshop in Cape Cod Ma which my company ran and I did some comparison shooting with my Olympus OMD bodies and the Fuji X pro 1 (prior to upgrade to 2.0 on Fuji.

I was surprised to suddenly find that the Olympus also had a shutter lag. The imaging from both cameras was superb. I have not shot with the Nex 7 so I cannot make a lag time comparison but for most of what I shoot from street to Landscape, the lag has not been a major problem. 95 percent of the time it does not cause me to lose a shot.

This seems to be an inherent problem with LCD finders, not only with Fuji but others as well.
--
El

Gear. 2 Omd, all the lenses, Ep3, Ep2, Ep1 infrared, Fuji X100, Fuji x pro 1, all the Fuji lenses, Voigtlander 15,21,28,50,75,90,180. Nikon 55 macro, 200 macro and Zeiss 100mm macro, Induro Tripods and heads, etc. Ricoh GXR and modules including Leica M

ELLIOT P STERN's gear list:ELLIOT P STERN's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5
awelch100
Regular MemberPosts: 273Gear list
Like?

I'll be willing to bet that the reason for the EVF lag on the X cameras is almost certainly a result of inadequate processing power. De-mosaicing images that use the 6x6 X-Trans color filter is extremely processor intensive, much more so than 2x2 Bayer pattern images. So while the NEX-7 and X-E1 may use nearly identical EVF displays, the Fuji needs to do much more work to supply the EVF with a video signal.

awelch100's gear list:awelch100's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +4 more
Lakeview Man
Regular MemberPosts: 262Gear list
Like?

webgeek wrote:

Just wanted to share some images I took using the new Fujifilm X-E1 and my first impression. I am in the market for a 2nd camera to compliment my Sony NEX-7 and this is one camera I am thinking of buying. I have used all X-Series Camera and sold them all simply because I cannot live with the slow AF. To me AF is the most important decision. So I am eager to see how this camera perform with the new improved AF that Fujifilm claim. I really like the images that comes out of this camera. I have only shoot JPEG since RAW is not supported. Great ISO up to 3200.

RAW not supported?

Happy I bought the X-pro1 then.

Very nice pictures!

Lakeview Man's gear list:Lakeview Man's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads