To Landscapers with 5DII

Started Sep 24, 2012 | Discussions
pixeldegree
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
Re: Thanks for your answers!
In reply to Saturoldan, Sep 24, 2012

Hi, you can use Canon DPP Digital Lens Optimizer (DLO) for increase sharpness since you do landscape...

More info can be found here:

http://blog.martinbaileyphotography.com/2012/07/14/quick-look-canon-digital-photo-professional-digital-lens-optimizer/
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=219478

Before DLO

After DLO

Saturoldan wrote:

Thanks for your answers, you helped me! I try not to be a geek with a new toy but logical with my needs…

I finally decided to save up and going with 5D3. Better IQ at high ISO for stars shots, better body seal, 100% viewfinder, +-3EV compensation, electronic level (not necessary but it helps), FEL button, double memory store, Q button, and as a second body for my 1DIV, better FPS, best AF and silent mode at 3FPS when needed. If I put everything into perspective, I think it´s worth the money for me.

I still don´t like the on/off button or zoom in/out button position and hate the viewfinder shutter rubber, or why cannot be the mirror lock up associated to a button… Nothing’s perfect!

-- hide signature --

...With the birds I'll Share This Lonely View...

http://www.naturalezaenpausa.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Saturoldan
Regular MemberPosts: 230
Like?
Decided, 5D3
In reply to Saturoldan, Sep 25, 2012

Hi!

After all the comments, I finally decided to go with 5D3. I need a landscape FF camera, but I need it to be polyvalent too, because, as a nature photographer the opportunities may come at anytime. So it better gets you prepared.

It would not be the first time I’m doing landscapes in high mountain and an ibex herd comes, so I change as fast I can the lens, change ALL the parameters (really much better with Q button!) and go behind the ibex herd. In nature everything changes it one minute, so better take advantage of this. And it´s not a good idea to take 2 bodies to a mountain hiking.

So, knowing this, 5D3 is better than 5d2 for me, although a big part of the time it would show the benefits versus 5D2.

Until now, that polyvalent camera was my 1DIV, but I realized that I really miss the below 24mm range I had enjoyed so much with my EOS 3. I loved UWA, but with 1,3X factor is impossible to get till now (Sigma 12-24 in not an option). Let´s wait for 14-24mm from Canon.

So you all are all right. For day landscapes, 5D2 is the camera, but as an all-terrain and night, the option for me is 5D3. I have to keep saving!

Thank you all!

-- hide signature --

...With the birds I'll Share This Lonely View...

http://www.naturalezaenpausa.com

akustykmagmanetpl
Contributing MemberPosts: 606Gear list
Like?
Re: To Landscapers with 5DII

Do you think that 5dII has everything you need for Landscape photography?

I'd like normal MLU solution because I use it a lot for landscape, especially with telephoto. and the solution right now is painfully bad with current Canon DSLR...

AF with a bit more low light sensibility would be nice, and most certainly usable side AF points, not just central.

other than that 5D mkII is OK for me.

If you had the bucks to change to 5DIII, would you buy 5DIII or invest it in lens?

I have the bucks but I'll rather invest (I mean: spend; you don't invest in landscape camera, it doesn't earn money!) it in some nice photo trip than 5D mkIII. I'm fine with my lens, too. I'd love 135/2 for example and its price tag is OK for me. but knowing I wouldn't use it too frequent I just can't justify spending this money.

if Canon had an 17-40/4 IS (with corners significantly improved over current version) then I'd surely be tempted. but as of now my money is safe

I am going FF since I´ve got a 1DIV and need the wide angle view, so I am deciding to buy a 5DII or a 5DIII (no 6D). If I go with 5DII I won´t get an used 5DII because it´s a “small” difference in price (about 400€) but a big difference with the warranty (I work in wet and harsh places, so I better have a warranty).

6D would be no brainer to me for landscape photography.

akustykmagmanetpl's gear list:akustykmagmanetpl's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
cpkuntz
Contributing MemberPosts: 735
Like?
Re: Decided, 5D3

Good choice, and in my opinion, the correct one! It's just so well-rounded. If you own any Canon glass, and don't need 14 fps, you can't go wrong with the 5D Mark III. I love it.

sacentre
Senior MemberPosts: 1,185Gear list
Like?
In reply to robonrome, Sep 25, 2012

And if you have an Android smartphone, there are some pretty neat apps you can install to control a 5DII camera via a USB cable or IR dongle.

Right now I'm using DSLR Controller from Chainfire and PhotoIRmote from Wegroo. Both have HDR functions that allow exposure bracketing.

Of course, the developers are updating their apps to work with newer cameras all the time including the 5DIII.

Also, the latest and stable release of Magic Lantern 2.3 has quite a bit of functionality for still photography including HDR exposure bracketing.

My point is you don't need to bother about HDR as a criterion for choosing a 5DIII. As for the better AF system, this is another story but again not necessarily a reason for upgrading from a 5DII for landscapes.

For my money, a single centre AF point is all I need for landscapes and much of the time I focus manually anyway.

You mentioned you do other stuff as well, though.

Just my ten cents.

Trevor

robonrome wrote:

Hi, I had the 5D2 and used it mainly for landscapes, but enough occassional other stuff where focus speed/accuracy was at issue to prompt me to buy the 5D3.

Was it worth it - not really. If I was being completely logical and not bitten by the new gear bug I would have stuck with the 5d2 which is just as good for all practical purposes for landscape. I should at least have waited for a while as price has come down a whacking great chunk since preorder at launch (I'll learn one day). The5d3 is nice but won't do much for your landscapes that the 5d2 doesn't do as well - 5d3 has hdr but frankly when I want hdr I do it manually braketting and process in photomatix.

sacentre's gear list:sacentre's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +4 more
polizonte
Contributing MemberPosts: 566Gear list
Like?
In reply to akustykmagmanetpl, Sep 26, 2012

I agree with the previous posting, MLU is easier on my Nikon and so are a few other adjustments but I used a 5Dmkii with 2 lenses ( a refurbished 35mm L, a new 135mm L) for one vacation. I shot RAW/processed in LR4 and was so impressed with the resolution, that if I were starting from "scratch" I would take advantage of the current low price (here in US a savings of $1100+ over the III) and apply the savings towards the purchase of lenses but if you need more speed perhaps the higher cost of the III would be justified.
--
Es mejor pescar que ser pescado.

polizonte's gear list:polizonte's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
sacentre
Senior MemberPosts: 1,185Gear list
Like?
Re: Electronic level
In reply to Rick880, Sep 26, 2012

What's wrong with just using one of the many bubble levels you can get that sit in the hot-shoe? or using a ball-head with a built-in level?

Rick880 wrote:

Interesting you said that electronic level is "not necessary but it helps". I thought it is an essential feature for shooting landscape handheld. It is the reason that I did not buy 5D2 and now balk at 6D. (What Canon is thinking to give 6D only one-axis electronic level? A marketing checklist item for unscrupulous buyers?) 5D3 is nice if one can justify the purchase.

Saturoldan wrote:

Thanks for your answers, you helped me! I try not to be a geek with a new toy but logical with my needs…

I finally decided to save up and going with 5D3. Better IQ at high ISO for stars shots, better body seal, 100% viewfinder, +-3EV compensation, electronic level (not necessary but it helps), FEL button, double memory store, Q button, and as a second body for my 1DIV, better FPS, best AF and silent mode at 3FPS when needed. If I put everything into perspective, I think it´s worth the money for me.

I still don´t like the on/off button or zoom in/out button position and hate the viewfinder shutter rubber, or why cannot be the mirror lock up associated to a button… Nothing’s perfect!

sacentre's gear list:sacentre's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +4 more
jglaser757
Contributing MemberPosts: 683
Like?
Re: Decided, 5D3
In reply to Saturoldan, Sep 26, 2012

and that internal level is awesome too,,no bubble level needed!!

Jon

gdanmitchell
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,730
Like?
In reply to cpkuntz, Sep 26, 2012

cpkuntz wrote:

Another option, honestly is a view camera and film. Those are great for landscapes. The larger format lends itself to detail.

I have a close friend who shoots landscape using high-end digital MF systems. We were having a conversation about such things one day and I mentioned that I might consider moving to such a system at some point in the future for the very reasons you mention. He pointed out the obvious to me - that while you can produce higher resolution images with such gear, there are tremendous limitations to it as well, and they may well make the sorts of photography that many of us do essentially impossible.

For example, I rely on long lenses for some of my work. Lenses as long as what I can make use of in my full-frame DSLR photography are essentially unavailable on MF. And the lenses that are available are huge and terribly expensive. None of this is at all conducive to, say, photographing while backpacking and carrying gear on ones back.

There is much more to gear selection that resolution. Indeed, the larger the system the greater the potential resolution. However, consider that one can create excellent 24" x 36" (and larger) prints with current full-frame DSLR gear - how many of us print larger than that on a regular basis, if at all? You could certainly shoot LF film... but the process is extraordinarily different from how we can operate with DSLRs. And it also turns out to be tremendously expensive.

Oh, and my friend the MF digital landscape shooter? He just purchased a full-frame DSLR for an upcoming project since it will allow him to better capture a particular sort of subject he is working with.

Lots to consider.

Dan

Joaquin_peme
Regular MemberPosts: 181Gear list
Like?
In reply to Saturoldan, Sep 26, 2012

I haven't read through the whole thread, but basically, I doubt the 5DMKIII has ANYTHING to offer to the landscaper over the 5DMKII.

However, if you plan to shoot a little bit of this and a little bit of that, GO STRAIGHT FOR the MKIII. Just the AF alone is worth it.

If you are considering any of the two cameras and you just shoot landscapes, get the 5DMKII and a nice lens instead for a similar price, such as a Canon 17mm TS or Zeiss 21ZE, which is my personal choice

I am not the best photographer, and the percentage of blurred images I get from my 5DMKII when I travel or do some social is frustrating. If you are my skillful and do more than landscapes...., , MKIII..., MKIII, ... MKIII

Good luck

Joaquin_peme's gear list:Joaquin_peme's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads