To Landscapers with 5DII

Started Sep 24, 2012 | Discussions
Saturoldan
Regular MemberPosts: 230
Like?
To Landscapers with 5DII
Sep 24, 2012

Hi all!

Do you think that 5dII has everything you need for Landscape photography? If you had the bucks to change to 5DIII, would you buy 5DIII or invest it in lens?

I am going FF since I´ve got a 1DIV and need the wide angle view, so I am deciding to buy a 5DII or a 5DIII (no 6D). If I go with 5DII I won´t get an used 5DII because it´s a “small” difference in price (about 400€) but a big difference with the warranty (I work in wet and harsh places, so I better have a warranty).

Thanks for your responses.

-- hide signature --

...With the birds I'll Share This Lonely View...

http://www.naturalezaenpausa.com

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
robonrome
Senior MemberPosts: 1,265Gear list
Like?
Re: To Landscapers with 5DII
In reply to Saturoldan, Sep 24, 2012

Hi, I had the 5D2 and used it mainly for landscapes, but enough occassional other stuff where focus speed/accuracy was at issue to prompt me to buy the 5D3.

Was it worth it - not really. If I was being completely logical and not bitten by the new gear bug I would have stuck with the 5d2 which is just as good for all practical purposes for landscape. I should at least have waited for a while as price has come down a whacking great chunk since preorder at launch (I'll learn one day). The5d3 is nice but won't do much for your landscapes that the 5d2 doesn't do as well - 5d3 has hdr but frankly when I want hdr I do it manually braketting and process in photomatix.

robonrome's gear list:robonrome's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Torgny Dellsen
Regular MemberPosts: 303Gear list
Like?

The 5DII will give you fantastic picture files. It's also a really sturdy piece of equipment. Dropped it badly twice. Just some dents. Tough camera

Btw the new the 40mm is excellent on the 5DII

Saturoldan wrote:

Hi all!

Do you think that 5dII has everything you need for Landscape photography? If you had the bucks to change to 5DIII, would you buy 5DIII or invest it in lens?

I am going FF since I´ve got a 1DIV and need the wide angle view, so I am deciding to buy a 5DII or a 5DIII (no 6D). If I go with 5DII I won´t get an used 5DII because it´s a “small” difference in price (about 400€) but a big difference with the warranty (I work in wet and harsh places, so I better have a warranty).

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Torgny

Torgny Dellsen's gear list:Torgny Dellsen's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1
peppe
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?

Saturoldan wrote:

Hi all!

Hi Saturoldan.

These http://suadoni.zenfolio.com/iceland2012 were taken with a 5DmkI (classic) with a TS-E 24 II and a 70-200/4 L IS

Five pictures out of the 77 you see required the use of a 2-stop GND to contain the difference in brightness between sky and land.

Hope this helps.

-- hide signature --

have camera, will travel
http://suadoni.zenfolio.com/

Saturoldan
Like?
Thanks for your answers!

Thanks for your answers, you helped me! I try not to be a geek with a new toy but logical with my needs…

I finally decided to save up and going with 5D3. Better IQ at high ISO for stars shots, better body seal, 100% viewfinder, +-3EV compensation, electronic level (not necessary but it helps), FEL button, double memory store, Q button, and as a second body for my 1DIV, better FPS, best AF and silent mode at 3FPS when needed. If I put everything into perspective, I think it´s worth the money for me.

I still don´t like the on/off button or zoom in/out button position and hate the viewfinder shutter rubber, or why cannot be the mirror lock up associated to a button… Nothing’s perfect!

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper
Forum ProPosts: 10,110Gear list
Like?
No...

but I can make due until Canon delivers a camera more suitable.

A camera for static subject matter that will appeal to the broadest base of photographers will need 30MPs or more, greater DR, full bracketing options, 100% VF, GPS (that doesn't hog the hotshoe), internal electronic level, and a cure for the low ISO banding.

The 5D2 has none of this. The 5D3 made good strides in fixing the opertional shortcomings of the 5D2.

Saturoldan wrote:

Hi all!

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
FeedMe
Senior MemberPosts: 2,474
Like?

Go for the D2, the D3 offers very little over the D2 (for landscapers, I mean).

You don't need faster AF, or more cross points or whatever - The castle ruins isn't going to run away from you..

-- hide signature --

Only a sad fool invests their self-worth in a camera! You know who you are...

hotdog321
Forum ProPosts: 10,035
Like?

For landscape photography, I see no point to buying the 5DIII. The image quality is essentially identical, but it costs $1000 more. If you have an extra grand burning a hole in your pocket and want bragging rights, you should get the newer model.

The 5DIII is superior for ultra-low light and faster auto-focus and more frames per second. All unnecessary for most photography.

Rick880
Regular MemberPosts: 477
Like?
Re: Electronic level

Interesting you said that electronic level is "not necessary but it helps". I thought it is an essential feature for shooting landscape handheld. It is the reason that I did not buy 5D2 and now balk at 6D. (What Canon is thinking to give 6D only one-axis electronic level? A marketing checklist item for unscrupulous buyers?) 5D3 is nice if one can justify the purchase.

Saturoldan wrote:

Thanks for your answers, you helped me! I try not to be a geek with a new toy but logical with my needs…

I finally decided to save up and going with 5D3. Better IQ at high ISO for stars shots, better body seal, 100% viewfinder, +-3EV compensation, electronic level (not necessary but it helps), FEL button, double memory store, Q button, and as a second body for my 1DIV, better FPS, best AF and silent mode at 3FPS when needed. If I put everything into perspective, I think it´s worth the money for me.

I still don´t like the on/off button or zoom in/out button position and hate the viewfinder shutter rubber, or why cannot be the mirror lock up associated to a button… Nothing’s perfect!

Saturoldan
Like?
In reply to hotdog321, Sep 24, 2012

Beatiful pictures! Thanks for sharing. I did a list with 25 specs that 5d3 improves over 5d2. I have not a money tree, but I prefer to save up and get the tool i want. For sure the gear does not make the photographer but a tool that helps is always welcome!
--

carlk
Forum ProPosts: 15,917Gear list
Like?

I'd go 5DII and buy a good lens. Matter of fact I'd even keep 1DIV and buy a good WA lens if that's your motivation to get a FF.

carlk's gear list:carlk's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +6 more
hotdog321
Forum ProPosts: 10,035
Like?

Thanks! If I was starting from scratch and specialized in landscape, I'd sure consider the Nikon D800, too.

But I use the 5DII as a professional and find it a superb machine. If I shot more sports and spot news or fast wildlife, I'd probably get the 5DIII. But no plans to upgrade at this time. Spend your extra money on really good glass.

carlk
Forum ProPosts: 15,917Gear list
Like?
In reply to carlk, Sep 24, 2012

carlk wrote:

I'd go 5DII and buy a good lens. Matter of fact I'd even keep 1DIV and buy a good WA lens (even an MF lens) if that's your motivation to get a FF.

carlk's gear list:carlk's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +6 more
gdanmitchell
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,730
Like?

Saturoldan wrote:

Hi all!

I have a 5D2 that I've used for close to four years. I was watching the 5D3 announcements with the possibility in mind that the new camera might be something that would convince me to upgrade.

I think the 5D3 is an excellent camera, from everything I read and see. It improves on some aspects of the 5D2 that made the earlier body a bit less appealing to certain kinds of shooters. If I were buying a new Canon full-frame body and money was not a limiting factor, I would probably get it - especially as the prices begin to soften - and occasionally find the upgraded features useful.

However, for most of the photography that I do - a great deal of landscape, but also a number of other subjects - the improvements in the 5D3 over the 5D2 do not amount to much and certainly don't seem worth the additional cost. Even though I was ready to move to a newer body at the time of the announcement, there is virtually nothing that it can do that my 5D2 can't do just as well for this sort of photography.

Dan

Steven-T
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,109Gear list
Like?

I used and KILLED several 5D1 (four) and 5D2 (two), still got one each. If it were me, I would go with saving the money for a TS-E 24mm II. (I have a TS-E 17mm to cover architecture and landscape).

If weather is a major consideration, I will go with a used 1Ds II or III. If I start afresh, I will go with the D800e instead. Now I am waiting for the 46.1mp 3DX, with a large box of L's.

Saturoldan wrote:

Hi all!

-- hide signature --

Steven-T's gear list:Steven-T's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Leica M9 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Saturoldan
Like?
Re: Electronic level
In reply to Rick880, Sep 24, 2012

Well, my bubble level is glued to my camera and my camera is glued to my tripod, so I think that electronic level will be usefull in the ocassions when I lost my bubble level or can't get it from my backpack.
--

jglaser757
Contributing MemberPosts: 683
Like?
In reply to Steven-T, Sep 24, 2012

Well,,I think Im the only one that will say go for the 5d3,,,I have both and I prefer the 5d3 for alot of reasons,,

1) it feels better in my hand- it actually has grooves that are contoured more for me.

2)better noise level at higher iso,,for night landscapes or using 10 stop ND filter.

3)Having suffered for years with the AF on my 5d2, I had no idea what a real autofocus camera felt like..I always shot in manual focus. the 5d3 is superior in this department.

4) two card slots- I had two external card readers from sanho because I wanted three backups for my images..i sold one on ebay. yeah i would of preferred to cf slots but I adapt!

5) better build quality for wet environments...yeah if u drop it in the water say goodbye to it, but it is more resistant in damp weather.

6)more options to customize the camera and help screen in case you dont remember something from the manual. I changes everything on my camera for customized buttons including autofocus etc..I didnt need to keep refering to the manual,,if I didnt know something, there is a help button to explain.
7)ability to extend the bracketing sequence to 5 shots.or 7 shots.

Yeah , its a little high in price, but I think the value is almost there!!!

Saturoldan
Like?
Thank you all!

I see the general opinion is get 5d2 and invest in lenses. I decided to get 5d3 but i will reconsider so your opinion is very valuable to me. May be it's time too to hear a smarter and more logical living being than I am, my wife.

Thank you!
--

jglaser757
Contributing MemberPosts: 683
Like?
Re: Thank you all!

congrats,,ur gonna love it!!!

Saturoldan wrote:

I see the general opinion is get 5d2 and invest in lenses. I decided to get 5d3 but i will reconsider so your opinion is very valuable to me. May be it's time too to hear a smarter and more logical living being than I am, my wife.

Thank you!
--

-- hide signature --

thanks

Jon

cpkuntz
Contributing MemberPosts: 671Gear list
Like?

If you only plan to do landscapes, I'd invest in a D800E with PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED or Nikon 24mm f/1.4G (one of the sharpest lenses currently being manufactured). For everything else, I'd recommend a 5D Mark III or a D600. If you're too invested in Canon to switch, and only plan to shoot landscapes, get a 5D Mark II and Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L UD Aspherical or TS-E 17mm f/3.5L II. If you plan to do anything else such as event photography or portraits and want to stay with Canon, get a 5D Mark III.

Another option, honestly is a view camera and film. Those are great for landscapes. The larger format lends itself to detail.

cpkuntz's gear list:cpkuntz's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D810 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads