Upgrade from 40D to 6D or 7D?

Started Sep 24, 2012 | Discussions
J F
J F
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
Upgrade from 40D to 6D or 7D?
Sep 24, 2012

I'm looking for some advice on choosing between a 6D or a 7D as a replacement to my 40D. I have been thinking of getting a new camera since the spring, but I was holding out until this fall anticipating some new cameras being announced. Now that the 6D has been announced I feel it is time to make a decision. Plus the shutter button on my 40D has stopped working properly, and I don't want to pay for the costly repair since I want to upgrade anyway.

On a regular basis I shoot a mix of subjects -- portrait (indoor studio with strobes as well as outdoor natural light), activities/events that are sometimes indoor with lower lighting, outdoor events with fast moving subjects (aka children) and my children's sports activities. From what I have been reading, the 6D would be a great choice for the low-light as well as portrait work. However the 7D wins out on the action/sports. While some of the new features of the 6D would be fun (wifi, etc.) I care more about image quality and ability to focus. Any advice on what would be a better choice? I don't own any EF-S lenses, so that is not an issue for me. With the 7D being 3 years old, is it still competitive and relevant? I don't plan to buy another camera for 3-4 years after this upgrade, so I want to get something that will last for some time. I'm not interested in the 5DII, and I can't afford the 5DIII.

I know a lot of the comparision between the 6D and 7D is just speculation based on the specs at this point since there haven't been any side-by-side comparisons of photos. Any thoughts as to when Canon will make the 6D available to review sites so we can get better info on the 6D vs 7D?

Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
WilbaW
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,586Gear list
Like?
Re: Upgrade from 40D to 6D or 7D?
In reply to J F, Sep 24, 2012

J F wrote:

From what I have been reading, the 6D would be a great choice for the low-light as well as portrait work. However the 7D wins out on the action/sports.

Sounds about right. Can you identify something that the 40D doesn't do as well as you'd like, that might give you a clue as to which way you could go? E.g. "The 40D is too slow with some action shooting..." tells you one things, whereas, "I don't have much choice of wide angle wide aperture lenses for the 40D..." tells you another.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TN Args
Regular MemberPosts: 150Gear list
Like?

I would say the 6D for you. Your shooting is more portraiture than true sport/birding etc. I'm sure the 6D will be great for moving subjects of the sort you described; I expect the online spec-sheet-peeper criticisms of its AF will prove to be grossly exaggerated once the 6D hits the hands of reviewers.

Alternatively, since my camera is a 7D, I must point out I am very happy with it!
--
call me Arg

TN Args's gear list:TN Args's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +3 more
TTMartin
Senior MemberPosts: 5,332Gear list
Like?
In reply to WilbaW, Sep 24, 2012

J F wrote:

. . . With the 7D being 3 years old, is it still competitive and relevant? I don't plan to buy another camera for 3-4 years after this upgrade, so I want to get something that will last for some time. I'm not interested in the 5DII, and I can't afford the 5DIII . . .

The 7D is still very competitive and relevant!

If you're not interested in the 5D MkII, I don't see any big differences in the 6D that would make you want it.

WilbaW wrote:

J F wrote:

From what I have been reading, the 6D would be a great choice for the low-light as well as portrait work. However the 7D wins out on the action/sports.

Sounds about right. Can you identify something that the 40D doesn't do as well as you'd like, that might give you a clue as to which way you could go? E.g. "The 40D is too slow with some action shooting..." tells you one things, whereas, "I don't have much choice of wide angle wide aperture lenses for the 40D..." tells you another.

^ This

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M +23 more
J F
J F
Like?
Why not the 5DII?
In reply to TTMartin, Sep 24, 2012

From what I have read the 5DII is a fantastic camera, and it has a lot of the specs that I want. However if I am going to go full-frame, my thought is that I should go to the newest full-frame camera to get the better autofocus, etc. that the 6D offers. I don't have to have the newest technology of the moment, but because I know I will have this camera for some time I want to get the best I can of what is being offered today. It seems the 6D beats out the 5DII in some areas that are interest to me - low-light, etc.

MAC
MAC
Forum ProPosts: 12,268Gear list
Like?

what is your current glass? The answer is a function of both body and glass and affordability. If you don't already have the portrait FF glass or 70-200 f2.8, then the expense will be really much more than you can afford to spend to get the 6d rolling. Keep in mind, Canon wants users to buy both FF and crop or buy the 5d3 which is more of an all in one for action and portraits.

J F wrote:

I'm looking for some advice on choosing between a 6D or a 7D as a replacement to my 40D. I have been thinking of getting a new camera since the spring, but I was holding out until this fall anticipating some new cameras being announced. Now that the 6D has been announced I feel it is time to make a decision. Plus the shutter button on my 40D has stopped working properly, and I don't want to pay for the costly repair since I want to upgrade anyway.

On a regular basis I shoot a mix of subjects -- portrait (indoor studio with strobes as well as outdoor natural light), activities/events that are sometimes indoor with lower lighting, outdoor events with fast moving subjects (aka children) and my children's sports activities. From what I have been reading, the 6D would be a great choice for the low-light as well as portrait work. However the 7D wins out on the action/sports. While some of the new features of the 6D would be fun (wifi, etc.) I care more about image quality and ability to focus. Any advice on what would be a better choice? I don't own any EF-S lenses, so that is not an issue for me. With the 7D being 3 years old, is it still competitive and relevant? I don't plan to buy another camera for 3-4 years after this upgrade, so I want to get something that will last for some time. I'm not interested in the 5DII, and I can't afford the 5DIII.

I know a lot of the comparision between the 6D and 7D is just speculation based on the specs at this point since there haven't been any side-by-side comparisons of photos. Any thoughts as to when Canon will make the 6D available to review sites so we can get better info on the 6D vs 7D?

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
J F
J F
Like?
In reply to WilbaW, Sep 24, 2012

That is a very good question as to what features over the 40D are most important to me. I would say:
-- Less noise at higher ISOs
-- Higher quality images
-- Better low-light photos in terms of noise/focusing
-- Better autofocusing

It seems that this would point to the 6D over the 7D, but my concerns about the 6D are that compared to my 40D it has
-- slower max sync shutter speed which may be a factor in my portrait work

-- hide signature --

less max frames per second (although this is probably not a big issue as I don't think my sports players are that fast

Also comparing the 6D to the 7D, it seems the 7D will win out in terms of
-- faster autofocus (phase vs contrast detection)
-- more cross-type autofocus points. will this mean a better ability to focus?

J F
J F
Like?
In reply to MAC, Sep 24, 2012

The two lenses I use more frequently are a 24-105mm 4.0 L series and a 50 mm 1.8.

Jozef M
Regular MemberPosts: 128Gear list
Like?
Re: Upgrade from 40D to 6D or 7D? But why??????

It is a bit off topic, but why so narrow minded? I use a 30D, with some good glass. Very happy with Canon DSLR, great camera-stuff.

But it is really a dead end, big and heavy, and old technology. No future no more in this old-style mirror cameras. I invested in mirrorless CSC, much lighter, quality is on par, and most of the time better ... I only take my 30D out to shoot sports, that is all. And in a few years from now, CSC stuff can do sports better too ... mark my words ...
Pity, I like my Canon lenses very much ...

Rakumi
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,151
Like?

My vote to you is the 6D. I think it is better suited to your needs. They say the 7D is a fantastic sports and fast action camera, but the action you are trying to get I feel is "slow" compared to the overkill of what the 7D can handle. In other words, if you compared the 6D's action shooting of your little kids running around and stuff vs the 7D's low light indoor shooting with out a flash, I think the 6D would handle its off task better than the 7D's off task that you are putting it up against. Now if you were talking about extreme pro sports and stuff... maybe I would say differently. The 6D's AF is at least equal to or better than previous Rebel bodies (before T4i) and most "soccer moms" faired well from my understanding. But the low light abilities of the new 6D should be 2 to 3 stops better than the 7D. I am speculating this because the 5DII was better by at least 1 stop and I think the 6D's new sensor should be better than the much older 5DII.

If I was not so happy with my 60D, I would look into a 6D right now. But my 60D does all I need it to and I actually enjoy the added reach of the crop sensor. I am already use to the range of my lenses on a crop body. Good luck.
--

Darkness is the monster and your shutter is your sword, aperture your shield and iso your armor. Strike fast with your sword and defend well with your shield and hope your armor holds up.

Rakumi
Like?
I totally agree with you here

I share your thoughts on this one. Get the newer FF tech over the old. They are nearly the same price but the 6D is todays tech while the great 5DII is 3 or more years old.

J F wrote:

From what I have read the 5DII is a fantastic camera, and it has a lot of the specs that I want. However if I am going to go full-frame, my thought is that I should go to the newest full-frame camera to get the better autofocus, etc. that the 6D offers. I don't have to have the newest technology of the moment, but because I know I will have this camera for some time I want to get the best I can of what is being offered today. It seems the 6D beats out the 5DII in some areas that are interest to me - low-light, etc.

-- hide signature --

Darkness is the monster and your shutter is your sword, aperture your shield and iso your armor. Strike fast with your sword and defend well with your shield and hope your armor holds up.

Rakumi
Like?

Simply ask yourself this, do you shoot more action shots or more low light indoor shots?

The 7D sensor, keep in mind, is light years ahead of your 40D so either way you will see a improvement over your 40D either camera you choose.
--

Rakumi
Like?
Sounds like you need a new lens...

You need a sports lens for some reach it would see? Or has that not been an issue for you?

J F wrote:

The two lenses I use more frequently are a 24-105mm 4.0 L series and a 50 mm 1.8.

-- hide signature --

J F
J F
Like?
Re: Sounds like you need a new lens...
In reply to Rakumi, Sep 24, 2012

So far I have not had a problem with my reach for shooting the sports that I do. I'm close enough to the action that I can generally get the shots that I want. However if I move from the crop sensor to the full frame I'm sure I will see quite a difference. I do have another telephoto lens, but I haven't need to use it any time lately to get the shots that I want.

J F
J F
Like?
Re: Upgrade from 40D to 6D or 7D? But why??????
In reply to Jozef M, Sep 24, 2012

Jozef M wrote:

It is a bit off topic, but why so narrow minded? I use a 30D, with some good glass. Very happy with Canon DSLR, great camera-stuff.

But it is really a dead end, big and heavy, and old technology. No future no more in this old-style mirror cameras. I invested in mirrorless CSC, much lighter, quality is on par, and most of the time better ... I only take my 30D out to shoot sports, that is all. And in a few years from now, CSC stuff can do sports better too ... mark my words ...
Pity, I like my Canon lenses very much ...

I have been doing some research on the mirrorless cameras as I am helping a few friends pick out a new a camera as they want something better than their point and shoot. I think they look great. However my two biggest reasons for not choosing them for myself are: 1) I already have quite an investment in lenses and other gear for my SLR that wouldn't work on a mirrorless. 2) I have a Canon S100 that I can throw in my pocket and walk around with when I don't want to deal with the bulk of the SLR. For me, it is a great little camera that gives me the flexbility and quality I want in a small size.

MAC
MAC
Forum ProPosts: 12,268Gear list
Like?

imo to benefit from FF for portraits you need fast glass for shallow dof and low light

35 f1.4, 50 f1.4, 50 f1.2 (expensive), 85 f1.2, 100L, 100 f2, 135 f2L, 70-200 f2.8 L or II

if you could swing at least the 50 f1.4 and the 100 f2, then go for it

the 24-105 is little/ no advantage on FF as opposed to the 15-85 IS on 60d - considering sharpness and dof. The 24-105 is more of a FF glass than a crop glass but deep dof that you can get from crop.

FF is expensive when you add the right portrait glass to get the advantage over crop

so the answer is -- it comes down to your budget. If it were me, I'd sell the 24-105. I'd get a 70-200 f4ISL with 1.4 ext for soccer outdoors and a 50 f1.4 for indoors and shoot kids at f2.2 and I'd work on my off camera flash technique with a 60d -- but I'd see if the new 7d comes out in the next few months

again --FF is about the fast glass -- that can cost a huge amount

good luck!

J F wrote:

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads