Why would you want to sell the Kodak P880?

Started Sep 23, 2012 | Discussions
NPPhoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,084
Like?
Why would you want to sell the Kodak P880?
Sep 23, 2012

I saw Michael selling both of his and when I see the pictures that come from the P880, I always wonder how could this company go out of business instead of taking off? Some of you owners of the P880 have talked about CA and fringing, etc. but nothing that cannot be corrected with PP. That 24-140mm lens with a zoom ring is a great and ideal focal length. If I had a good condition P880, I'd hang on to it till it gives up. Just my $.000002 cents worth.

-- hide signature --

Nick P

jeffsvisions
Senior MemberPosts: 1,187Gear list
Like?
Re: Why would you want to sell the Kodak P880?
In reply to NPPhoto, Sep 23, 2012

to slow
--
The best picture is the one you take.
Jeff

jeffsvisions's gear list:jeffsvisions's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to NPPhoto, Sep 23, 2012

I entirely agree. The zoom range was perfect and the lens delivered spectacular results in the hands of those who knew what they were doing. Unfortunately, the camera is old now, there are no parts for it and there are no servicemen around to repair it so buying one would be a gamble on how long it would hold up.
--
JamesD
Happy Snappin'

JamesD2's gear list:JamesD2's gear list
Kodak EasyShare C663 Kodak DX7590 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Nikon D90 +2 more
SW Anderson
Regular MemberPosts: 107Gear list
Like?
In reply to NPPhoto, Sep 24, 2012

Kodak should have developed and moved forward with new designs based on the P-880's charms and strengths. Instead, the company chose to flood the market with parallel lines of low-end, mass-market snapshot digicams. That might've been a brilliant strategy except for a few little things like Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, Nikon and Fuji.

For some reason, camera makers choose to be what economists refer to as "perfect competitors," each vying for a bigger piece of every market segment. There's a lot to be said for picking a segment where competition is limited and a particular company can excel. Then, that company can apply the strategy known as "hit 'em where they ain't." Done right, the company can then draw customers to that market segment from others — a la the iPad.

Spiridakis Michael
Senior MemberPosts: 2,317
Like?
In reply to NPPhoto, Sep 24, 2012

Speaking for the P880's lens and the CA&PF I can assure you that is minimal and very easily removable if RAW, but even in jpeg it is so minimal that someone may never deal with it.... when we are talking about it is only when we are talking as perfectionists or in other words as pixel pipers...

The lens has some problems only when is hitting directly the sun where some flares are obvious, but I can assure you again that other cameras do it better or even worst... my m43 EPL2 can not even look at the sun as huge square red spots are dominating the whole frame....

Speaking for the camera as a device one can say that is slow.... well this is mainly if someone wants to work only with RAW, @ this case it needs 12 seconds to write the file no matter how fast is the card... but again the camera is coming from an era that RAW was something very special... today one can have fast RAW + jpeg at the same time... on the other hand for many years was the only one camera able to develop RAW inside.... Fuji X10 and Nikon 7000/7100 came out after so many years to continue this tradition.

The biggest problem for me is the limited dynamic range as the sensor is coming from that era that smalls sensors was ISO 100 sensors at P880's case can be driven at ISO 400 but one must be experienced in pp to manage it... ISO 100-200 is the reality... well now one may ask me why it bothers me as in most (semipro) cases I use my nice tripod and shoot in ISO 100,,, well you have to see the difference between this sensor and the new generation sensors like the one my canon S90 (that is the same used in Nikon P7000/100, Canon G12 etc), its day and night.... working with RAW/lightroom, with these moderns small sensors is a joy... especially when you open the exposure and you have to manage noise in darks....

Finally 8 mpxls are not enough anymore if working in small rooms, and after straightening the lens distortions you end up with 5 or 6 mpxls and then again if you wish to crop @ 2:3 you may end up in 4 mpxls... 4-5.......

But once again the camera with a reasonable good tripod may be the only one camera for someone to do dignified photography... as this camera is a small sensor camera and not even a small sensor super zoom, one can have a grate experience in framing... and learn how to use the wide lens...

One can experiment in HDR, as the camera supports multiple exposures in the best way... one can experiment in street photography based in wide angle and time lapse mode... or make his own time lapse videos... All in all is a very creative camera...

Speaking for me.... well every time I use it.... I always come back with some keepers.... speaking truly what I miss with it is the joy of usage... it is just a pleasure to use one of the moderns Canon G12, or Nikon P7100, very reliable cameras, no problems in focusing, nice movable screens with crazy resolutions...

On the other hand maybe P880 is a more purist's camera as it manages very well not to exist... hehe I would dare to say... one may hold it wishing to hold a Canon instead... and shoot grate pictures... From this point of view... yes... the camera manage to disappear... For some people may be what they want....

-- hide signature --
124c41
Regular MemberPosts: 173
Like?
In reply to Spiridakis Michael, Sep 24, 2012

I really enjoyed reading that most educational post, Mike and if you have the time and/or opportunity to post comparison shots of the P880 and one of your much more modern cameras to illustrate this 'noise' business, I will be most grateful.

Cheers,

Ralph.

Spiridakis Michael
Like?
Ralph for your pleasure
In reply to 124c41, Sep 24, 2012

124c41 wrote:

I really enjoyed reading that most educational post, Mike and if you have the time and/or opportunity to post comparison shots of the P880 and one of your much more modern cameras to illustrate this 'noise' business, I will be most grateful.

Cheers,

Ralph.

Ralph he asked me a shot that the tiny tiny fibers on the ceiling to be visible... I didn't choose my P880 not either my S100fs I choose the S90 mainly because in RAW with no in camera lens correction is more wide than 28mm but I was so impressed from the dynamic range of this little devil... When I have more time I'll find a P880's shot from this series to see them side by side...
SO the first picture is the RAW "as is" and the second is the final picture.

-- hide signature --
124c41
Like?
Re: Ralph for your pleasure
In reply to Spiridakis Michael, Sep 24, 2012

Well thank you Mike for my very first 'raw' processing opportunity! I used the first (dark) photo and put it into the free Raw Therapee V4.0 64Bit and played around with the controls to produce what I think the scene should look like and was even able to correct the converging verticals! Magic!! :-).

Don't go out of your way now Mike--whenever you can as you are a working man and I have all the time in the world.

Please be assured that your help is invaluable to me and it only goes to prove that the best of the best gives his best!

Best regards.

Ralph.

GALady
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
In reply to 124c41, Sep 27, 2012

Why would I sell my P880? Well, I never got much use out of it. You see, I wanted one, but couldn't afford one until they discontinued it...and I bought a refurb from Kodak. It never operated properly. There was a problem with the power switch. It would turn on, and not turn off...Everything would freeze. Or conversely, it wouldn't turn on. Turn the switch to 'on', and nothing. Turn it to 'favorites', and the green light would come on. Back to on, and nothing. Of course, there were times when it worked perfectly, and the pictures were wonderful. Other times, it would be on, but press on the focus button and the screen would go black. Or you could press continuously and it just wouldn't take a picture. Sooo...anyone want one for parts? C.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to GALady, Sep 27, 2012

Of course this has been the issue almost from the start: the On/Off switch did not operate properly on an inordinate number of these cameras and Kodak did not seem particularly interested in repairing or replacing the faulty ones. Other than buying one as a backup for an 880 that someone already has or for parts as you suggested, it would be foolish to buy a used P880 after all this time. Besides, there are much better cameras out there today without these issues and the slow to write problems. Kodak, blew it.
--
JamesD
Happy Snappin'

Kodak EasyShare C663 Kodak DX7590 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Nikon D90 +2 more
Spiridakis Michael
Like?
JamesD
In reply to JamesD2, Sep 27, 2012

JamesD2 wrote:

Of course this has been the issue almost from the start: the On/Off switch did not operate properly on an inordinate number of these cameras and Kodak did not seem particularly interested in repairing or replacing the faulty ones. Other than buying one as a backup for an 880 that someone already has or for parts as you suggested, it would be foolish to buy a used P880 after all this time. Besides, there are much better cameras out there today without these issues and the slow to write problems. Kodak, blew it.
--
JamesD
Happy Snappin'

Well... foolish..... this is a big word... I think that the fact of the Kodak end from photography make fool the one who sells right now... and clever the one that collects... its not an everyday fact... Kodak was a unique company... I am selling my P880 cameras but this will not be forever...

-- hide signature --
124c41
Like?
Re: JamesD
In reply to Spiridakis Michael, Sep 27, 2012

That last line you wrote there, Mike.......not sure what you mean. Is it that if you manage to sell the cameras you may buy a P880 again in the future?

There seems to be so many components in a digital camera that deteriorate relatively quickly that will render the camera inoperative making it useful only as a paperweight or an object to be viewed with nostalgia.

As James pointed out, there are far more modern alternatives and of a choice that seems to be becoming increasingly chaotic.

More thoughts from you, Mike--if you please!

Ralph.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to 124c41, Sep 28, 2012

Thanks, Ralph. I too would appreciate a clarification from Mike.
--
JamesD
Happy Snappin'

Spiridakis Michael
Like?
In reply to JamesD2, Sep 30, 2012

JamesD2 wrote:

Thanks, Ralph. I too would appreciate a clarification from Mike.
--
JamesD
Happy Snappin'

James I really can't understand what kind of clarification you want from me... once I had a very unique vinyl player made by JVC it was a mechanics marvel for that time and very beautifully made... when CD arrived I got rid of it.... What a mistake of me... I wish I had it know... CD sound is so dead... JVC is not making such things anymore... It would be wonderful to use it from time to time but most of all to beautify my living room.... both by it self and it's sound... Who would be able to technically serve this today... let me say you NONE... it would be my responsibility...

Its exactly the same with Kodak P880.... when we all know that its only problem is the ON/OFF switch.... and given that many have post their fix here... and none of them was extremely serious... as this camera deserves for a total switch reconstruction...

But after some years in the future lets say 5 it would be a lot of pleasure to shoot with an old P880... maybe EPSON have triple their EVF dots but its totally different a samsung and a Kodak on your neck....
--
http://www.spiridakis.gr

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Spiridakis Michael, Sep 30, 2012

We obviously see things differently, Mike. Take the example of your older JVC player. There are audio purists who would agree that having the older vinyl records and accompanying machines to play them is the only way to experience quality sound. I'm of a different mindset. I opt for the latest audio equipment complete with blue tooth technology. The other day my wife and I were traveling in our car when it became apparent to us that our subscription to Serius Radio had ended. I clicked on the Mode button on my steering wheel and the radio immediately paired with my smart phone and our music was restored. The quality of the sound was just fine for our ears. In other words... I appreciate the advances in technology.

And the same is true for the P880. It was a dynamite camera "for its day." Those who still have a working one and are willing to put up with its idiosyncrasies (i.e. Bassy) have a wonderful camera capable of producing great images. However, it would be foolish to buy one other than as a back-up to an existing one or for its parts "for an existing" one since the camera is old, no longer serviced and has a known track record of on/off problems. Besides... there are newer cameras now that do not take half the time to write to cards and produce stunning results. I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree on this.
--
JamesD
Happy Snappin'

Spiridakis Michael
Like?
In reply to JamesD2, Oct 6, 2012

JamesD2 wrote:

We obviously see things differently, Mike. Take the example of your older JVC player. There are audio purists who would agree that having the older vinyl records and accompanying machines to play them is the only way to experience quality sound. I'm of a different mindset. I opt for the latest audio equipment complete with blue tooth technology. The other day my wife and I were traveling in our car when it became apparent to us that our subscription to Serius Radio had ended. I clicked on the Mode button on my steering wheel and the radio immediately paired with my smart phone and our music was restored. The quality of the sound was just fine for our ears. In other words... I appreciate the advances in technology.

And the same is true for the P880. It was a dynamite camera "for its day." Those who still have a working one and are willing to put up with its idiosyncrasies (i.e. Bassy) have a wonderful camera capable of producing great images. However, it would be foolish to buy one other than as a back-up to an existing one or for its parts "for an existing" one since the camera is old, no longer serviced and has a known track record of on/off problems. Besides... there are newer cameras now that do not take half the time to write to cards and produce stunning results. I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree on this.
--
JamesD
Happy Snappin'

James you just can't understand that Kodak P880 is a KODAK do you remember Kodak...?

-- hide signature --

www.spiridakis.gr

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: MikeS
In reply to Spiridakis Michael, Oct 6, 2012

Sure I remember Kodak. I still have three Kodak digital cameras in our home. In fact, I have the very first digital camera that Kodak made for consumers. Give me credit for knowing a little something, Mike. Okay?

-- hide signature --

JamesD
Happy Snappin'

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads