Nikon D600 Grip MB-d14

Started Sep 22, 2012 | Discussions
spbStan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,882Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon D600 Grip MB-d14
In reply to chimphappyhour, Oct 7, 2012

Forget all nominal temperature range battery life specs. Do not bother with a battery in the grip because you will just end up with two dead batteries after a couple hours.

I shoot when it is cold and even the power miser D7000 can exhaust a battery in 30 minutes when really cold. There are two fixes, one is get several batteries for each body and keep the batteries next to your skin until use. As they drop in core temperature when inside the camera, you can almost see the charge indicator drop. Swapping batteries with mittens on is not easy, using regular gloves that add dexterity, will not keep hands warm enough to keep blood flowing. Mittens are  better for keeping hands warm enough to flex and be usable as hands/fingers. Most Nikons have a external battery jack that can be used to power the camera and charge the internal battery. Make a battery pack that fits inside your clothes and a flexibly wire(not vinyl which gets very stiff in cold) cable from the battery pack and us that as the camera power. Another option is to use a camera shield or underwater case and install heaters in it. This time lapse project will require some creative solutions. For normal single shot photography, the battery will last as long as you yourself want to be out in it.

-- hide signature --

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lucasfunkt
Junior MemberPosts: 47
Like?
Re: D600 Night Shooting
In reply to Tee1up, Oct 7, 2012

Tee1up wrote:

I agree with the other poster here. Get a couple spare batteries and keep them in your pocket. The colder it is, the more important this becomes. Get a few nights practice in before leaving. You would hate to make a trip like that and find out you forgot something obvious.

You may also want to consider getting one of those headband LED lights to make fiddling with your camera easier. I found one that uses a red light or white, red being helpful to keep you from loosing your night vision.

Thanks guys. I think I'm decided then, I'll get two more spares which will give me 5 batteries in total for the 2 cameras.

I have one of those headband torches, not with a red LED though, that would be handy. I do a lot of night photography though so I'm getting used to using the cameras blind every few days.

kayone
Regular MemberPosts: 316Gear list
Like?
In reply to Frank D'Amato, Oct 9, 2012

Frank D'Amato wrote:

Looks as if the grip is too small

I also have the grip on the D600, it is not too small.

kayone
Like?
In reply to Gosman, Oct 9, 2012

Gosman wrote:

I'll never understand why people buy a camera that is known for it light weight and small footprint, and they buy and put a large grip on it?
--
Jay

You've obvioulsy never heard the concept of:  shooting for a job in wedding, action, sports, and having a vertical grip makes shooting in portrait mode much easier and quicker.  I.e. functional reaons.

And if one wants to shoot with the camera in a smaller footprint, you can simply remove the battery grip.  How hard is that?!

Also try shooting with a smaller body like the D600 with a larger lens like the 24-70 f2.8 or larger (70-200 f2.8, etc)  it becomes awkwardly unbalanced and front heavy, especially when you are shooting on the go and running around w the camera (again, action sports and wedding photography) and having the grip on there provide extra hand hold area and better weight balance.  Not everyone is shooting with this camera solely with a 50mm prime, sorry.

kayone
Like?
In reply to SUPERHOKIE, Oct 9, 2012

SUPERHOKIE wrote:

They need to make the grip not so tall. When you put the grip, especially on smaller bodies like the D90/D600, the camera just looks ridiculously tall. Why can't they make it little thinner? so that even with the grip, the height of the camera won't exceed those bodies with the built in grip, like the D3 and etc...

Plus you're looking at a cell phone pic of the D600 + grip shot at an awkward angle with wide angle distortion, it doesn't look like that with the human eye.  I'll shoot some proper product style shots of the D600 + battery grip at home tonight to demonstrate.  It's actually quite well proportioned.

kayone
Like?
In reply to Shifu, Oct 10, 2012

As people here can see, the battery grip is not overly tall or too thick

jsbeith
Regular MemberPosts: 188
Like?
In reply to kayone, Oct 10, 2012

kayone wrote:

Thanks for the photos. Scott 
jsbeith
Regular MemberPosts: 188
Like?
In reply to Shifu, Oct 10, 2012

Congrats on the new gear!

Scott

krikman
Regular MemberPosts: 292Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gosman, Oct 10, 2012

Gosman wrote:

I'll never understand why people buy a camera that is known for it light weight and small footprint, and they buy and put a large grip on it?
--
Jay

Another reason that while hiking camera with grip never tilts nose down if you use neckstrap.

With reasonable lens (500+ g) camera (D300) without a grip tend nosedown and need hand support. So walking with grip actually easier. I never go hiking without a grip

kayone
Like?
In reply to mammothtarm, Oct 10, 2012

mammothtarm wrote:

What battery adapter does the grip come with? Both for the EN-EL15 and the AA battery holder? Or just the EN-EL15?

It comes with both battery trays.

kayone
Like?
In reply to lucasfunkt, Oct 10, 2012

lucasfunkt wrote:

I'm thinking of going to Norway to photograph the northern lights and do time lapses. I have the D7000 and the D600 and one spare battery between them, do you think this is enough?

It will be cold and I will be shooting for hours at a time but I'm hoping 3 batteries for the 2 cameras will be enough, what do you reckon?

battery life shortens in cold weather. I don't know what your access to hotels or modern electrical charge points are, or how long you will be staying, but I think its best to have a spare battery for each camera.  Especially with the combination of cold weather and time lapse shots.  Buy a couple extra batteries at least.

Oscar CK
New MemberPosts: 5Gear list
Like?
In reply to kayone, Jul 18, 2013

kayone wrote:

Is that a rubber cover for the AC adapter dummy battery next to the battery compartment knob, and could give me an exact height from the base of the grip to the optical center?

Thanks Oscar

Oscar CK's gear list:Oscar CK's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads