Nikon D600 Grip MB-d14

Started Sep 22, 2012 | Discussions
Shifu
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
Nikon D600 Grip MB-d14
Sep 22, 2012

Just got back from my local camera store and picked up the Nikon MB-d14 grip for the D600 and I have to say that it feels significantly better in the hands now. I have fairly small hands and the camera without the grip felt a bit uncomfortable below the front wheel. Build quality is superb in this grip and you can definitely feel the magnesium alloy. I would say it is well worth the money. I had a D7000 before with the MB-D11 and there was always a slight wiggle to the Nikon grip. The MB-D14 is greatly improved over this and it is a tight fit on the D600 with no movement. I am extremely pleased. As any fyi, they seem to be in stock at Roberts camera and Kenmore Camera.

http://robertscamera.com/mb-d14-multi-battery-power-pack.html

http://kenmorecamera.com/p-21821-nikon-mb-d14-power-pck-fd600.aspx

Cell phone pics!

Nikon D600 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
metsatsu
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
Re: Nikon D600 Grip MB-d14
In reply to Shifu, Sep 23, 2012

how does the d-pad feel? does it feel like the wobbly MB-D11?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Frank D'Amato
Contributing MemberPosts: 508Gear list
Like?
In reply to metsatsu, Sep 23, 2012

Looks as if the grip is too small

Frank D'Amato's gear list:Frank D'Amato's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
Shifu
Like?
In reply to metsatsu, Sep 23, 2012

the d pad on the grip is not wobbley and it has a good click response when pressed in any direction. It's similar to the regular d pad but slightly smaller area for your thumb.

Gosman
Contributing MemberPosts: 808Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shifu, Sep 23, 2012

I'll never understand why people buy a camera that is known for it light weight and small footprint, and they buy and put a large grip on it?
--
Jay

Gosman's gear list:Gosman's gear list
Pentax K-3
SUPERHOKIE
Contributing MemberPosts: 961
Like?
In reply to Gosman, Sep 23, 2012

They need to make the grip not so tall. When you put the grip, especially on smaller bodies like the D90/D600, the camera just looks ridiculously tall. Why can't they make it little thinner? so that even with the grip, the height of the camera won't exceed those bodies with the built in grip, like the D3 and etc...

Colorado CJ
Regular MemberPosts: 484
Like?
In reply to SUPERHOKIE, Sep 23, 2012

I'll be ordering one for sure. They weren't in stock when I placed my order for the D600 at B&H.

I have a battery grip on my K20D and it is invaluable. It makes hand holding the camera so much easier and makes for much more stable shooting, especially with long telephotos.

Not to mention the excellent buttons for portrait mode. After using it on my K20D, I never once took it off.

Shifu
Like?
In reply to Gosman, Sep 23, 2012

The D600 as a DSLR isn't exactly lightweight. I had a 5d mark 3 body and compared the weight with the D600 and they were quite similar in each hand. I would consider a mirror-less body lightweight!

Shifu
Like?
In reply to SUPERHOKIE, Sep 23, 2012

Actually, the D600 with grip doesn't appear as tall as a D800 with grip. It's hard to tell, in this video though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHU6q5ZEKtE

mammothtarm
Forum MemberPosts: 68Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shifu, Sep 28, 2012

What battery adapter does the grip come with? Both for the EN-EL15 and the AA battery holder? Or just the EN-EL15?

mammothtarm's gear list:mammothtarm's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR
brianjb
Regular MemberPosts: 378
Like?
In reply to Shifu, Sep 28, 2012

Sorry for going off topic, but...

How do you like the Tamron 24-70? Have you used any Nikon VR lenses? If so, do you find the image stabilization to work equally well? How is the AF?

Thanks

lucasfunkt
Junior MemberPosts: 47
Like?
In reply to Shifu, Oct 2, 2012

I'm thinking of going to Norway to photograph the northern lights and do time lapses. I have the D7000 and the D600 and one spare battery between them, do you think this is enough?

It will be cold and I will be shooting for hours at a time but I'm hoping 3 batteries for the 2 cameras will be enough, what do you reckon?

lucasfunkt
Like?
In reply to lucasfunkt, Oct 5, 2012

lucasfunkt wrote:

I'm thinking of going to Norway to photograph the northern lights and do time lapses. I have the D7000 and the D600 and one spare battery between them, do you think this is enough?

It will be cold and I will be shooting for hours at a time but I'm hoping 3 batteries for the 2 cameras will be enough, what do you reckon?

Any advice for this?

Personally I think battery grips are way overpriced but maybe I could just about justify it, what do you reckon? Or just a couple more batteries?

chimphappyhour
Regular MemberPosts: 473
Like?
In reply to lucasfunkt, Oct 5, 2012

lucasfunkt wrote:

lucasfunkt wrote:

Any advice for this?

Personally I think battery grips are way overpriced but maybe I could just about justify it, what do you reckon? Or just a couple more batteries?

What time of year? If it will be during a cold or even cooler time of year, you might consider having a spare for each camera which is kept inside your jacket. No matter how much better newer batteries get, the cold still seems to get them. Rotating the batteries through your jacket to warm them up will help.

Will you use the D600 to do the time lapse? If you get the grip on it, you could put a battery in body, one in the grip and have one reserve. Set the grip battery to be used first. When it depletes, the camera should switch to the internal. Then you should be able to replace the grip one if the internal gets a bit too close to being low without skipping a beat in shooting I would think.

Other than that, I'd say just keep an eye out for condensation. If it is cool enough out, I wouldn't think you'd have to worry about it quite like you would shooting late night/early morning in the summer, just don't breath too close to the camera.

VisuallyOriented
Regular MemberPosts: 107
Like?
In reply to chimphappyhour, Oct 5, 2012

I have the MB-D14 and really like it in general.  For time lapse I think it's a great addition.  I can't tell you how the camera will react in the cold but under normal conditions battery life is great.  I getting over 2400 exposures from one charge on each battery.

lucasfunkt
Like?
In reply to chimphappyhour, Oct 6, 2012

chimphappyhour wrote:

lucasfunkt wrote:

lucasfunkt wrote:

Any advice for this?

What time of year? If it will be during a cold or even cooler time of year, you might consider having a spare for each camera which is kept inside your jacket. No matter how much better newer batteries get, the cold still seems to get them. Rotating the batteries through your jacket to warm them up will help.

Will you use the D600 to do the time lapse? If you get the grip on it, you could put a battery in body, one in the grip and have one reserve. Set the grip battery to be used first. When it depletes, the camera should switch to the internal. Then you should be able to replace the grip one if the internal gets a bit too close to being low without skipping a beat in shooting I would think.

Other than that, I'd say just keep an eye out for condensation. If it is cool enough out, I wouldn't think you'd have to worry about it quite like you would shooting late night/early morning in the summer, just don't breath too close to the camera.

I'm going in February or possibly March so it will be cold. I'm just wondering what is the best value for money, a battery grip or just a couple more spare batteries.

chimphappyhour
Like?
In reply to lucasfunkt, Oct 6, 2012

lucasfunkt wrote:

I'm going in February or possibly March so it will be cold. I'm just wondering what is the best value for money, a battery grip or just a couple more spare batteries.

You'll definitely want to have spare batteries to rotate through in that case. The hard part is switching them out. The battery doors are fiddly even without gloves on. If you can swing it, I would try to get the grip too and do the battery switch out I mentioned above. That's if you're doing time lapse though and don't want to break shooting. If you're not worried about shooting time though, you can leisurely change batteries out but I'd make sure you have one fully charged spare in your jacket for each camera before heading out. (In addition to a fully charged one in each camera.)

lucasfunkt
Like?
In reply to chimphappyhour, Oct 6, 2012

How many batteries do you get in the grip? Is it just one? If so it surely isn't worth it. Doubles the life of the camera, but so does an extra battery and that's only £40.

chimphappyhour
Like?
In reply to lucasfunkt, Oct 7, 2012

lucasfunkt wrote:

How many batteries do you get in the grip? Is it just one? If so it surely isn't worth it. Doubles the life of the camera, but so does an extra battery and that's only £40.

If it is anything like the newer grips, one in the camera and one in the grip. Set the camera to use the battery in the grip first. After that is exhausted, it will switch to the camera's battery and should allow you to switch out grip batteries while it is still shooting. All should be good.

Tee1up
Regular MemberPosts: 460Gear list
Like?
Re: D600 Night Shooting
In reply to lucasfunkt, Oct 7, 2012

I agree with the other poster here. Get a couple spare batteries and keep them in your pocket. The colder it is, the more important this becomes. Get a few nights practice in before leaving. You would hate to make a trip like that and find out you forgot something obvious.

You may also want to consider getting one of those headband LED lights to make fiddling with your camera easier. I found one that uses a red light or white, red being helpful to keep you from loosing your night vision.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads