Panasonic Lumix GH3. My first 3 hours impressions. /1

Started Sep 22, 2012 | Discussions
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,501Gear list
Like?
Re: Unless you are a Panasonic fan...
In reply to rocklobster, Sep 24, 2012

rocklobster wrote:

....you are going to be puzzled by this camera. To me, being an Olympus fan that only for a millisecond found the menu system bewildering, the GH3 has lost the plot by growing in size and weight. Sure, some say it handles better and has better balance, better for large hands etc, but for me it strays too far from the M4/3 pilosophy. But, I suppose, if you think it is too big just buy the G5 but, of course, I prefer the E-M5 and lickily I have smallish hands for a man. No jokes about small other body parts please!

Cheers

I am not a Panasonic fan, I am a Panasonic boy, but I have used many brands, if a camera is really good I like it, that is the case of the GH3 and also the G5, it is a matter of taste the size, but believe the GH3 is not that big, like I said it has great ergonomics. I like to have two cameras always, one bigger and other smaller, If I had to buy the best Micro 4/3 now, I will get a GH3 for bigger and the EM5 for smaller. That will be a good choice.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aleo Veuliah
Like?
Re: Unless you are a Panasonic fan...
In reply to tgutgu, Sep 24, 2012

tgutgu wrote:

It strays too far from YOUR interpretation of m4/3 philosophy. Luckily, your interpretation really does not matter.

To reduce m4/3 to only small and ultralight devices destroys the variability we have and need. m4/3 and mirrorless in general means foremost getting rid of the mirror box, hence the name. This in turn allows more flexibility in the design and construction of camera bodies, with smallness as ONE possible design goal. Other goals could be to offer the best solution to utilize live view, such has in good view finders, video, form factors, whatever.

It happens that Panasonic made the GH3 larger, because so many users wanted this. A minority of the targeted buyers may not like this, so what? However, to call the GH3 being against THE m4/3 philosophy is nonsense, because there isn't such a thing.

The GH3 fits well into the system at the high end. It has a beautiful and functional design and is a welcome enhancement to the entire system, strengthening m4/3's market position considerably.

I have to agree.

rocklobster wrote:

....you are going to be puzzled by this camera. To me, being an Olympus fan that only for a millisecond found the menu system bewildering, the GH3 has lost the plot by growing in size and weight. Sure, some say it handles better and has better balance, better for large hands etc, but for me it strays too far from the M4/3 pilosophy. But, I suppose, if you think it is too big just buy the G5 but, of course, I prefer the E-M5 and lickily I have smallish hands for a man. No jokes about small other body parts please!

Cheers

-- hide signature --

Thomas

-- hide signature --

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +4 more
Aleo Veuliah
Like?
Re: Panasonic Lumix GH3. My first 3 hours impressions. /1
In reply to Photo Grapher, Sep 24, 2012

Photo Grapher wrote:

Good information here Aleo. Next time invite me for a coffee with you and the GH3.

From what I have been looking about the GH3 I think I will pre ordered it soon.

-- hide signature --

Perfection is achieved, not when you have nothing more to add, but when you have nothing more to take away

The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the greatest intention

You are right, next time I will invite you.

-- hide signature --

bloodycape
Senior MemberPosts: 1,432Gear list
Like?
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Sep 24, 2012

Thank you for the post, can you tell us how jpeg output and AF compares to the G5, since that too seems to have the latest Venus chip?

bloodycape's gear list:bloodycape's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +1 more
Aleo Veuliah
Like?
In reply to bloodycape, Sep 24, 2012

bloodycape wrote:

Thank you for the post, can you tell us how jpeg output and AF compares to the G5, since that too seems to have the latest Venus chip?

Well, JPEG output on this GH3 that is a pre-production camera, compared to what I have seen from the G5, seems more clean and detailed.

The AF on both are so fast that is difficult to say, but the GH3 gives an impression to be faster, even when it star on the closest distance to the longer.

-- hide signature --

bloodycape
Senior MemberPosts: 1,432Gear list
Like?
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Sep 25, 2012

What about color output? I am told and from what I have seen the G5 has an improved color out, is the GH3 have the same improvement or is color output even better?

bloodycape's gear list:bloodycape's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +1 more
Bob Meyer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,361Gear list
Like?
Except....
In reply to rocklobster, Sep 25, 2012

It's really NOT very big. Compare it to any DSLR with a similar build-quality and feature set, and it's still pretty darn small. Comparing it to plastic bodied, entry-level cameras like Rebels only makes sense if you have an agenda you're trying to push. And it's still a fair big smaller than a 4Ti, anyway.

Just as the G3 is very small compared to a Rebel, the GH3 is very small compared to a 7D or D300, which share the semi-pro, rugged build design ethic of the GH3.

Whether the GH3 succeeds in competing in that class of camera we don't know yet. But if it fails, it won't be because it's too big compared to it's competition.

rocklobster wrote:

Cheers

-- hide signature --

I've stopped thinking in terms of "equivalent" focal lengths on m43. 25mm is what it is, and what it might be similar to on some other format doesn't matter to me any more. We need to learn what to expect from our current equipment, not keep mapping it to the old. No one refers to their 50mm FF lens as "equivalent to 80mm on MF."

Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +12 more
nalax
Regular MemberPosts: 493Gear list
Like?
How does the shutter sound?
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Sep 25, 2012

Is it quiet?

nalax's gear list:nalax's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +6 more
Wasabi Bob
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Re: Panasonic Lumix GH3. My first 3 hours impressions./2
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Sep 26, 2012

I must agree with Aleo on all his comments.

I also had the opportunity to shoot the GH3 to shoot this year's Tribute in Light - 2012. "TIL" is a yearly event held in NYC to commemorate the events of 9/11. I also used the G5.

I was told that it will be shown at the Photo Plus show in NYC at the end of October. I did receive permission to share the photos, I've provided links to the slide show and the individual shots with my comments. Be forewarned, if you handle the GH3, you will want one!

I hope you enjoy these, and please don't hesitate to share the links with your friends!
Slide Show
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wasabi_bob/sets/72157631585666847/show/
Individual photos, with comments
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wasabi_bob/sets/72157631585666847/

ispress
Forum MemberPosts: 96Gear list
Like?
In reply to Wasabi Bob, Sep 26, 2012

Wasabi Bob wrote:

I also had the opportunity to shoot the GH3 to shoot this year's Tribute in Light - 2012. "TIL" is a yearly event held in NYC to commemorate the events of 9/11. I also used the G5.

It looks like some of these are HDR?

ispress's gear list:ispress's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Wasabi Bob
Like?
In reply to ispress, Sep 26, 2012

Not from GH3. I did make some "structure" adjustments using Viveza.

Those shot using the G5 were done from RAW and I think one or two were HDR.

Those on GH3 were strictly from JPG. The GH3's increased DR does look a bit llike minimal HDR, especially after some light post processing with Viveza.

Adamant
Regular MemberPosts: 471
Like?

Tremendously impressive. If this shot isn't HDR, then Panny really seems to have made good on its promise of improved dynamic range in the GH3.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wasabi_bob/8007878987/in/set-72157631585666847

DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 11,214Gear list
Like?

Wonderful slide show!! I am very impressed with these photos!!

Dave

Wasabi Bob wrote:

I was told that it will be shown at the Photo Plus show in NYC at the end of October. I did receive permission to share the photos, I've provided links to the slide show and the individual shots with my comments. Be forewarned, if you handle the GH3, you will want one!

I hope you enjoy these, and please don't hesitate to share the links with your friends!
Slide Show
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wasabi_bob/sets/72157631585666847/show/
Individual photos, with comments
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wasabi_bob/sets/72157631585666847/

-- hide signature --

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +26 more
SHood
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,140Gear list
Like?

Very nice images. Which camera took this picture and was more than one image merged together for this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wasabi_bob/8007877075/sizes/o/in/set-72157631585666847/

SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
Wasabi Bob
Like?
In reply to Adamant, Sep 26, 2012

No.

This had some PP using Viveza (structure adjustment) and saturation, but that was it. This were shot with 12-35, tripod mounted - mostly longer exposures so I could capture more of the shadow detail.

Wasabi Bob
Like?
In reply to SHood, Sep 26, 2012

This was taken with GH3. It is 3 images stitched together using Microsoft ICE.

I shot this in a bracket mode as I didn't know how accurate the metering was. Turns out that I used the three "+1EV" shots to create the panorama. Final image was cropped (with Microsoft ICE) and saturation / structure adjustmens done with Nik's Viveza + CS6.

Just had that one printed out as 12 x 36 - it really looks very nice. The version I posted was much smaller than the original. Original was ~ 9800 pixel wide !

Photo Grapher
Regular MemberPosts: 352Gear list
Like?
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Sep 26, 2012

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Photo Grapher wrote:

Good information here Aleo. Next time invite me for a coffee with you and the GH3.

From what I have been looking about the GH3 I think I will pre ordered it soon.

-- hide signature --

Perfection is achieved, not when you have nothing more to add, but when you have nothing more to take away

You are right, next time I will invite you.

Ok,

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Photo Grapher's gear list:Photo Grapher's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
SHood
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,140Gear list
Like?

Thanks. Will Panasonic allow you to show the print at the NY show?

Wasabi Bob wrote:

This was taken with GH3. It is 3 images stitched together using Microsoft ICE.

I shot this in a bracket mode as I didn't know how accurate the metering was. Turns out that I used the three "+1EV" shots to create the panorama. Final image was cropped (with Microsoft ICE) and saturation / structure adjustmens done with Nik's Viveza + CS6.

Just had that one printed out as 12 x 36 - it really looks very nice. The version I posted was much smaller than the original. Original was ~ 9800 pixel wide !

SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
mpgxsvcd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,941Gear list
Like?
In reply to SHood, Sep 27, 2012

Those 911 pictures are stunning. Bob should have been the one shooting at the Olympics for Panasonic.

mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +2 more
Photo Grapher
Regular MemberPosts: 352Gear list
Like?
Re: Aleo
In reply to Anfy, Sep 28, 2012

Anfy wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satyagraha

Good information.

I guess you already know this form of nonviolent resistance.

Ciao!

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Anfy wrote:

Photo Grapher wrote:

Portugal is a nice country, we only need to improve on [...] a better level of life. Including animals and nature.

Fight for your and their rights!

Ciao!!!

-- hide signature --

Viva la evoluciĆ³n!

Ahah, yes we need to fight but not with violence of any kind.

-- hide signature --

Viva la evoluciĆ³n!

-- hide signature --

Photo Grapher's gear list:Photo Grapher's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads