Panasonic Lumix GH3. My first 3 hours impressions. /1

Started Sep 22, 2012 | Discussions
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,478Gear list
Like?
Panasonic Lumix GH3. My first 3 hours impressions. /1
Sep 22, 2012

I said on other post that I was going to try the GH3 with my friend at Panasonic Portugal, he said it is a later prototype. The finish is already the same as on the final camera. I don't know where to start but maybe the ergonomics is a good place to start writing my first impressions. I went to Park of the Nations here in Lisbon, it is near to the river and have modern buildings surrounding and nice bars and coffee shops to be there looking at the camera, then I went to his office again to look at the images on a large and good Philips monitor on Lightroom. I only took JPEGS, because there is no RAW compatibility. But he said that I could not show ANY pictures here or anywhere, I understood that because it is not a final camera.

• Ergonomics.

Well, first, the camera is not that big , but it is bigger than the previous model.

The camera came with the new 12-35mm f/2.8 , this lens have impressed me, superb built and image quality and the zoom ring is smooth like honey and precise.
I think the 35-100mm has the same quality.

When I picked the camera I felt a good sensation, it fitted very well in my medium to large hands, there are lot's of FN buttons, and liked to have two control wheels.

The camera is very well built and gives a sensation of being very strong.

To me is the best ergonomics I saw in a micro 4/3 camera , when I played with the EM5 the ergonomics and the menus where one of my criticisms, but I am used to the Panasonic menus that is why I felt a bit strange using the EM5. The GH3 is also more comfortable to use than the GH2 or the G2. Panasonic Lumix really did a very good work when designing this GH3.

The buttons have a nice feeling and I liked the new back controls of the camera.
The camera seems really to be built like a tank.

The design is very good but to me the hump could be a bit bigger, this speaking only about the aesthetics, but maybe Panasonic wanted to be that way to not make the camera larger. This camera is a winner to someone that appreciate good ergonomics and superb build construction with great image quality .

• The viewfinder

The EVF is great, lot's of detail and good real colors , with a viewfinder like this, in my opinion there is no need for an OVF even like the ones used on the pro DSLR's.
EVF is the future. The LCD has improved also, specially in daylight .

• Miscellaneous impressions

The shutter noise is more damped and pleasant, at least for me, this may have to do with the new chassis .

The AF is just great, it is really lightning fast , and very precise, it is or gives the impression to be faster than any other micro 4/3 camera. I took some pictures in AFC and the camera did not miss any of the moving subjects, they where all sharp, even using a high FPS.

I really liked that Panasonic putted those control buttons near the shutter, they are easy to use.

• Image quality

I took around 100 pictures (with the 12-35mm) using all modes and compensations and fine tuning the WB and Photo Styles, I liked much the colors and detail , it seems to have an even more faithful color than the GH2, maybe it is the new improved Venus engine or the sensor it self. Or both.

I have used all the ISO range and ISO 6400 looks very clean to my eyes , I have used the default NR settings, and I can not say for sure but ISO 3200 and 6400 look a bit cleaner than what I have seen from the EM5. Panasonic claim to have new algorithms and they seem to work fine.

DR range is very good, there where some clouds with highlights and the camera took that perfectly, shadows medium and highlights where well reproduced .

ISO 12800 is good and very usable for smaller to medium enlargements, but there is some loss of detail. Anyway this is natural on all cameras even on fullframe DSLR's.

I have used the high ISO on interiors to not have excuses of using daylight. The noise pattern is a bit different and pleasant.

Wish I could have used RAW and convert on Lightroom with my usual settings to see the real quality. But so far the JPEG's have impressed me.

The new high dynamic range worked very well . And the multi exposure function is very welcome. The new low pass filter may be the reason for the detail I saw on the pictures.

I did not tried the electronic shutter.

The new level gauge is a pleasure to use.

Continue on the next post.
--
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Aleo Veuliah
Like?
Re: Panasonic Lumix GH3. My first 3 hours impressions./2
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Sep 22, 2012
  • My conclusion

Panasonic Lumix made very good improvements on this camera , the GH3 is a camera that almost all will like it to use, ergonomics are superb, it is a camera that we can spent hours using it without being tired. They are targeting this camera to explorers like the ones on National Geographic, and they are right , If I was a NG photographer used to carry heavy DSLR's and lenses I will change to this GH3 and an EM5 as a smaller camera. But do not think that the GH3 is big, in fact it is better to hold than a GH2. and not much bigger.

This is a camera that justify to be a bit costly than the GH2, and it is good for may kinds of photographers, even for street photography.

I liked the menus, but I am used to Panasonic Lumix way, so it was not a surprise to me.

I only shoot one small video at the high quality settings and it looked very good, AF is really amazing on video too. Very smooth fast and accurate.

It is a camera that if you hold it and try you want to have it. It is on my wish list now.

Together with good lenses this is a camera that can really be used for professional work, at least for those pros that don't need the extreme enlargements.

• All information here on Panasonic Lumix G site.

Micro 4/3 along with Panasonic Lumix and Olympus is being really strong and a very good choice, I am happy with this.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mpgxsvcd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,769Gear list
Like?
 mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
Aleo Veuliah
Like?
In reply to mpgxsvcd, Sep 22, 2012

mpgxsvcd wrote:

Thanks for post. Very helpful.
--
GH2, GF1, & ZS3 Sample movies
http://www.youtube.com/user/mpgxsvcd#play/uploads

Glad it was helpful.

Wish I could have stayed with this GH3 for some days and post images.

Now I have to save for get one, to me it is really a dream camera.

-- hide signature --

Photo Grapher
Regular MemberPosts: 350Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic Lumix GH3. My first 3 hours impressions. /1

Good information here Aleo. Next time invite me for a coffee with you and the GH3.

From what I have been looking about the GH3 I think I will pre ordered it soon.

-- hide signature --

Perfection is achieved, not when you have nothing more to add, but when you have nothing more to take away

The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the greatest intention

Photo Grapher's gear list:Photo Grapher's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
NumberOne
Senior MemberPosts: 1,494Gear list
Like?

Thank you so much for posting your 1st impressions about the GH3.
It looks like Lisbon is awake...

Best regards,
Pedro

Aleo Veuliah
Like?
In reply to NumberOne, Sep 22, 2012

NumberOne wrote:

Yes at least me, because here on shops they do not promote much Micro 4/3 cameras and lenses.

All the best.

Best regards,
Pedro

-- hide signature --

Photo Grapher
Regular MemberPosts: 350Gear list
Like?

NumberOne wrote:

Best regards,
Pedro

Hi Pedro, I am from Lisbon too, and an Aleo friend, Portugal is a nice country, we only need to improve on politics and a better level of life. Including animals and nature.

-- hide signature --

Perfection is achieved, not when you have nothing more to add, but when you have nothing more to take away

The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the greatest intention

Photo Grapher's gear list:Photo Grapher's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
NumberOne
Senior MemberPosts: 1,494Gear list
Like?

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

NumberOne wrote:

Yes at least me, because here on shops they do not promote much Micro 4/3 cameras and lenses.

All the best.

I think quite a few were waiting for this model...

The (mFT) lens range is already more complete than any other system - and still growing - IQ can compete, or (in some cases) surpass, most of the available APS-C offers, there are size and weight advantages, in a word, the future looks bright!

All the best to you, too,
Pedro

georgec
Regular MemberPosts: 470Gear list
Like?

Thanks for sharing the impressions, giving me a lot of confidence on the GH3. I would like to see some more photos and reviews before I upgrade my GH2. 12-35mm would be a great lens. I hope some negative comments on the lens are not that serious.

georgec's gear list:georgec's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +8 more
SHYIU
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?

Really want to know how electronic shutter works. Does it look like taking video with no sound.

Also one interested observation is that Japan Panasonic website has no GH3 information shows up yet and there is no anticipated sale time as opposed to 35-100 where it will be launched in late October.

Ann Chaikin
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,899Gear list
Like?

Thank you. Now I am sure I want this camera. I have pre ordered in case and your comments tell me that was a good thing to do. Better find a way to sell a few more paintings to pay for it. This has been a good year.
--
Ann Chaikin
Painting & Photography:
http://www.annchaikin.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/annchaikin/
Photo a Day
http://www.blipfoto.com/ArtistAnnie
Family Websites:
http://www.chaikinsofbellingham.com

Ann Chaikin's gear list:Ann Chaikin's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +3 more
Aleo Veuliah
Like?
In reply to SHYIU, Sep 22, 2012

SHYIU wrote:

Really want to know how electronic shutter works. Does it look like taking video with no sound.

I takes pictures with no sound yes. But I think there are some limitations compared to the usual mechanical shutter.

Also one interested observation is that Japan Panasonic website has no GH3 information shows up yet and there is no anticipated sale time as opposed to 35-100 where it will be launched in late October.

-- hide signature --

Aleo Veuliah
Like?
In reply to georgec, Sep 22, 2012

georgec wrote:

Thanks for sharing the impressions, giving me a lot of confidence on the GH3. I would like to see some more photos and reviews before I upgrade my GH2. 12-35mm would be a great lens. I hope some negative comments on the lens are not that serious.

Well, from these 3 hours playing with and seeing images I decided to buy it. But I still like to see a full review here on Dpreview and Imaging Resource to compare with other cameras.

-- hide signature --

Aleo Veuliah
Like?
In reply to Ann Chaikin, Sep 22, 2012

Ann Chaikin wrote:

Thank you. Now I am sure I want this camera. I have pre ordered in case and your comments tell me that was a good thing to do. Better find a way to sell a few more paintings to pay for it. This has been a good year.
--

I am glad this first impressions were useful, I was honest on what I said and nor biased for be a Panasonic boy, I also liked the EM5 when I tested, but the GH3 gave me a stronger good feeling, now I have to save a lot because I want the GH3 with the 12-35mm and maybe the 35-100mm.

I am sure the GH3 will be perfect for your good stills and wonderful videos like the ones I have seen from you.

Ann Chaikin
Painting & Photography:
http://www.annchaikin.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/annchaikin/
Photo a Day
http://www.blipfoto.com/ArtistAnnie
Family Websites:
http://www.chaikinsofbellingham.com

-- hide signature --

Aleo Veuliah
Like?

NumberOne wrote:

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

NumberOne wrote:

All the best.

I think quite a few were waiting for this model...

The (mFT) lens range is already more complete than any other system - and still growing - IQ can compete, or (in some cases) surpass, most of the available APS-C offers, there are size and weight advantages, in a word, the future looks bright!

All the best to you, too,
Pedro

I agree, this system has become a great one.

-- hide signature --

Gato Amarillo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,494
Like?
Thanks

Thanks for the report, especially the comments on size and handling.

Gato

Portrait, figure and fantasy photography at:
Silver Mirage Gallery:
http://www.silvermirage.com

Aleo Veuliah
Like?
Re: Thanks
In reply to Gato Amarillo, Sep 22, 2012

Gato Amarillo wrote:

Thanks for the report, especially the comments on size and handling.

Gato

Portrait, figure and fantasy photography at:
Silver Mirage Gallery:
http://www.silvermirage.com

Those were the more obvious for a first impression, besides that the handling is really good, and the easy of use, that is really important to me on buying a camera.

The EVF impressed me, but that many other cameras already have, but this one seems even more realistic.

The AF like I said is wonderful, and believe me the image quality is great.

I am glad that the post was useful for some that liked the GH3.

-- hide signature --

eques
Senior MemberPosts: 1,793Gear list
Like?
Panasonic Lumix GH3. Looks are important

Thanks for your detailed first impressions.

You sound very positively impressed but not enthusiastic. A consequence of the looks?

I have been waiting for the GH3. How the stills quality compares with the OM-D will be seen in due course. However, the GH3 looks as ugly as Sony's FF models. I agree about the hump: it should be more pronounced by lower shoulders (no more overall height of the camera body) or, even better, removed altogether. Rangefinder look might not appeal to every one, but it is better than this hunchback of Notre Dame look of this GH3/Sony A99 monster.

If you compare the Leica M, Fuji X1(E), even Sony NEX and RX100 - they all show elegant, even beautiful tops, a jouy to look at. And it is the top, the photographer sees first and, if habitually using the EVF like I do, most often.

Peter.

eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
ville12345
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?

Thanks for the report!

About control wheels, are those dual action click wheels like GH2?

For example, with one wheel (at A mode) one could control aperture and exposure, other wheel ISO and aspect ratio.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads