VF-2 on 'other' camera's...

Started Sep 21, 2012 | Discussions
Floydsflock
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?
VF-2 on 'other' camera's...
Sep 21, 2012

Hey gang!

After waiting for the XZ-2's arrival for some months, but seeing the other options now available, I'm toying with getting the Nikon P7700 instead. It seems to me that between the XZ-2, G15, the P7700 is 'probably' the most complete of the bunch while having a bit longer reach on the long end. $100 cheaper than Oly's, and I'm thinking that all of these camera's will offer similar qualities, and excellent images. However...

Do you have any idea whether the Olympus Viewfinder would work on the Nikon? I like the idea of a viewfinder and Nikon isn't offering anything for this yet. My research on this has turned up zilch, but what I did find was that the VF-2 is also 're-branded' and sold by Leica as their X2-EVF2, so I thought that maybe this would also work on other makes as well. Whatdaya think?

Thanks,
Robert

Canon PowerShot G15 Leica X2 Nikon Coolpix P7700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Cathy H
Regular MemberPosts: 203
Like?
Re: VF-2 on 'other' camera's...
In reply to Floydsflock, Sep 21, 2012

No, it won't work on the Nikon. It would have been nice, though. I had the P7100 as well as the XZ-1 and enjoyed them both. It was nice to have the longer reach and the tilting screen on the Nikon but the f1.8 on the XZ-1, the somewhat sharper lens, the smaller size of the camera, and the VF-2 viewfinder all made the XZ-1 a camera that better fit my needs. The P7700 sounds like quite a nice upgrade. Cathy H.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Floydsflock
Like?
In reply to Cathy H, Sep 21, 2012

Thanks Cathy; well that rules that one out I guess.

The Canon's viewfinder sounds like it's nothing to write home about, so if that was a Really import criteria of mine, I would end up with the XZ-2 & VF-2. Though, now that the Nikon has a bright lens too, I think that the added zoom range and articulating screen offer me a bit more for my needs while not sacrificing picture quality to get there.

I'd really like to wait until the proper reviews and comparisons come out but I don't think that I can wait that long... Now it seems that there are Too many good options!
Nice predicament!

Robert

Ben O Connor
Contributing MemberPosts: 820Gear list
Like?
Check new Leicas
In reply to Floydsflock, Sep 21, 2012

... New leica X2 uses the same VF, its written "LEICA" on it, but its otherwise olympus inside

And now even more surprising to see this PEN hotsue / port on coming full frame leicas.. But well, those are the model that includes 4 numbers together... I stick with the 3 numbere prices, that starts max 8 on the left end... you know!

Ben

Ben O Connor's gear list:Ben O Connor's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +4 more
Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,225Gear list
Like?
Which camera you get is based purely on subjective analysis....
In reply to Floydsflock, Sep 23, 2012

Let's face it - there are lots of nice enthusiast models out there - currently on the market, and those pending release and distribution. And everyone has different attitudes as to what they like or dislike. I often find it hilarious to see someone expressing an opinion on something, only to have a slew of folks knock him down for it. Do folks all choose the same automobile - hell no! That's what makes us different.

I've had the opportunity of keeping up with most of them over the past 10 years or so and I try to always have the latest models available from Canon, Nikon, and of course Olympus - because each brand's top enthusiast model brings something unique to the table.

So whether you wind up with the Canon G15, or the Nikon P7700, the Panasonic LX-7, or the Olympus XZ-2 - rest assured you will wind up with a very nice photographic instrument.

But you also need to do your homework and that's crucial here. Seeing how a camera looks is one thing (the overall color of the model, how it looks to you - i.e., is it macho enough or friendly looking.), but then working with and shooting with the camera is another matter. If you can find a camera store in your region that has one or more of these models, then I strongly suggest you go and play with the camera. See how it feels in the hands, compose a few shots - look at the menu, etc. Those are all important variables that you should keep in mind when using a camera. And why, you ask? Quite simply - how a camera appears in brand photos can be totally different to how it feels in the hands and how it shoots!

Now as to your other questions....hell no - the Olympus VF will not fit a Nikon...why would it? With the P7700 you will have NO options for a VF. The only two cameras that will allow options for a high resolution EVF are the Panasonic LX-7 (in which case you'd have to purchase the high res Panny version for it), and the Oly XZ-2 in which case you'd have to purchase the superb VF-2 or slightly lower resolution VF-3.

Now - as for the built-in Optical Viewfinders (OVF's) that you can find on the Canon G series - along with the earlier Nikon P7000 and P7100 - they are really worthless. Now by my stating they are "worthless" is a subjective opinion by me, in that I find them useless because they:

1. Only show anywhere from 79 - 85% of the actual image area that will be captured in the photo.

2. There is no data or other photographic information in those OVF's - it's just like looking through a plain piece of glass (and many times, there are distortions with these viewfinders). For example, I like to determine where my AF point will be and with OVF's there is no way of knowing this. You would have to use the LCD to determine (move) your AF point and compose accordingly. Now, if you're the type of person who just puts a camera on fully auto everything, than looking through an OVF is just fine.

My take on all of the new enthusiast models just released is that the XZ-2 should be one of the best (again, subjective). But then I've tried them all.

I personally will look closely at the following models for the possibility of purchase - these being:

XZ-2

Canon G-15 (I've - at one time - had all of the G series, dating all the way back to the G1) and the long zoom SX-50 IS (now that RAW has been incorporated).

I'll pass on the P7700 because I have the P7100, and I'll pass on the LX-7 since I have the LX-5.

Good luck in your decision....
--

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 +28 more
Floydsflock
Like?
Re: Which camera you get is based purely on subjective analysis....
In reply to Ben Herrmann, Sep 25, 2012

Ben,

Thank you for your post. I was just about to start a new (silly) thread, but scrolled down before hand to discover someone had posted, and so checking it out saw too that you had addressed what my new post was about to 'try' to articulate...

Compromises, compromises; I have been reading and researching for my next purchase, and it is...difficult! In reading I've been jerked all over the place, having begun this exercise with the XZ-1&2, then somewhat disillusioned by the release date & price, looked around to see that 'fast-glass' (which I Need for low-light shot's) had entered into the Canon & Nikon compacts. But they too have their own set of compromises, and complicating everything is that we don't have much in the way of hands-on reviews yet. Add to this I'd like to get my new camera asap, but need someone to bring it to me here from the States as the VAT Taxes here make imported 'stuff' very expensive; but this 'delivery service' of mine is Very Spotty as to deliveries!

I would, as you have suggested, go 'test-drive' all of these models beforehand but I'm living in S. India now which makes this impossible on my time-frame. New merchandise doesn't come quickly to these shores, and I want/need to sell my NEX-5 & lenses before my new purchase, so all of this complicates matters. (My NEX has done a very nice job for me btw, however I can no longer tolerate changing lens, and also the system is too large/heavy for my needs as I travel a Lot and am on a motorcycle daily).

OK, so now you've got a little of my back-ground, and hopefully this understanding will elicit, hmm, I dunno; sympathy!? Haha. Naw. Just some helpful advice please

In summary; I'm now back in the Oly XZ-2 camp, as I do like the folding screen that I've gotten used to on the NEX system, and I am hoping that the IQ/performance enhancements will make it even better than the 1st rendition (which I could have lived with). Coupled with the VF-2 'I think' that this is about as good as it gets right now.

Blessings,
Robert

SW Anderson
Regular MemberPosts: 107Gear list
Like?
In reply to Floydsflock, Sep 26, 2012

Many years of keeping up with cameras leads me to believe Nikon won't offer an add-on viewfinder for the 7700. If an accessory like that is to be offered, it virtually always will be mentioned in the manufacturer's introductory product description.

It's remarkable that Nikon can't or won't put a decent-sized, decent-quality optical viewfinder on a camera like this.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads