photo+ video slide show in HD which software , little $

Started Sep 21, 2012 | Discussions
Berghof
Senior MemberPosts: 1,144
Like?
photo+ video slide show in HD which software , little $
Sep 21, 2012

Hello,

I'm just about ready to put together a slide show combined with some video and I wonder which software to use for my project. The imovie on my mac doesn't do HD.Would you recommend purchasing HD imovie or is there any other inexpensive software. I do not need that many fancy video effcts, just basic editing and I do not have that much $ to spend . Which easy to use program do you recommend? Thank you.
--
Berghof G.C.

MtnGoatJoe
Regular MemberPosts: 317
Like?
Re: photo+ video slide show in HD which software , little $
In reply to Berghof, Sep 27, 2012

Wow, your Mac must have a lot of years on it! Typically, I would say iMovie or iPhoto is the way to go. iPhoto can output slideshows as .mov files, so that may work for you.

If you have an iPad or iPhone, you could try iMovie on either of those. It's only $5, but works really well. You'll need your movies in .mov or .mp4 format, but I've done some nice things on my iPad.

Good Luck!!!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alpha Doug
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,161Gear list
Like?
In reply to MtnGoatJoe, Sep 29, 2012

There are only two ways to output a true high def slideshow (1280x 720 - or 1920 x 1080). You can output your file as a digital file, only playable on a computer (mp4 or .mov), or you can burn the file to a Blu- Ray disk. Standard DVDs are limited to SD resolution. So it depends on how you want to show or distribute the slideshow. iMovie puts together very nice mixed media slideshows and you can export them in almost any imaginable format.

-- hide signature --

Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-}

http://www.dougwigton.com/

Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
Alpha Doug
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,161Gear list
Like?
In reply to Alpha Doug, Sep 30, 2012

Hmmmm... Thought this all sounded familiar. Same post from two months ago. IMovie will certainly "do" a high definition slideshow. I have done both 1920x1080, and 1280x 720. I'm not sure what isn't

T clicking with you. We gave you the same answers last time. We also asked what, exactly, are you going to do with the show once created. How do you intend or want to present it? Without that information we cannot advise you properly.

-- hide signature --

Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-}

http://www.dougwigton.com/

Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
Rickyscv
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
In reply to Alpha Doug, Oct 2, 2012

I had to make a slideshow for my daughter's wedding a couple of months ago. Was all set to purchase FCP and had read up on it but then I found out my computer was too slow. Checked many programs through the web and went with Premiere Elements. Steep learning curve for me as I had limited time, but the results were very good--had many positive reactions.

MtnGoatJoe
Like?
In reply to Rickyscv, Oct 3, 2012

Rickyscv wrote:

I had to make a slideshow for my daughter's wedding a couple of months ago. Was all set to purchase FCP and had read up on it but then I found out my computer was too slow. Checked many programs through the web and went with Premiere Elements. Steep learning curve for me as I had limited time, but the results were very good--had many positive reactions.

For this situation, I suggest using iPhoto and playing the slideshow from a Mac laptop (assuming you can get one).

Creating and playing the slideshow from within iPhoto offers a lot of flexability: easily adjust slide duration, set the in/out points for the Ken Burns effect on a slide by slide basis, insert movies, and easily add or remove new slides/movies.

If playing the slide show from a Mac laptop isn't possible, you could export the whole thing as a movie that you could play on different machines.

Rickyscv
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
In reply to MtnGoatJoe, Oct 4, 2012

iPhoto didn't do it for me...too limited in features. Premiere Elements, even with the steep learning curve, did things better and easier than iPhoto could. I guess it depends how great and involved you want to make your slideshow. I was very happy with the one I made in Elements.

MtnGoatJoe
Like?
In reply to Rickyscv, Oct 4, 2012

Rickyscv wrote:

iPhoto didn't do it for me...too limited in features. Premiere Elements, even with the steep learning curve, did things better and easier than iPhoto could. I guess it depends how great and involved you want to make your slideshow. I was very happy with the one I made in Elements.

Not to be snarky, but I don't think you took advantage of iPhoto's capabilities. Did you try creating a Slideshow Project, or did you select an album or event and click the Play button?

You get a lot of control using the Slideshow option: Transitions, Ken Burns, timing, movies, etc. http://www.apple.com/findouthow/photos/#slideshow

I'm cowries to know what you were able to do with Premiere that really made the difference for you?

Thanks,

-Joe

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads