Started Sep 20, 2012 | Discussions
rayman 2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,218
Like?
If I were Hasselblad....
Sep 20, 2012

If I were Hasselblad.... I would also have used the mount but made an ergonomic
nex camera with a higher stability housing also in Thailand
and with different features then the Nex 7 like an IBIS.....
at lets say a price point of 1800 $ But with higher quality control...
I ´d also have a seris of lenses under the brand Hasselblad built for about
1000 $ each with the quality of the 24mm Zeiss.....
Thats something the people are looking for not something that costs 5000 $ and
maybe is outdated in a year from now... !
Everything that serves the nex (lens) system is wellcome I guess !
Peter

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,841Gear list
Like?
Re: If I were Hasselblad....
In reply to rayman 2, Sep 20, 2012

I am not opposed to the idea of a linkup between Hassleblad & Sony , the example set by Leica & Panasonic springs to mind

However any collaboration has to be more than just re-skining Sony models with an expensive exterior.. I agree that if Hassleblad can introduce in-body image staiblisation or high class lenses then it could be worthwhile

Perhaps Hassleblad could introduce a larger sensor or a square/ multi format sensor with appropriate micro-lenses which would be an enhancement of existing technology ?
--
Keith C

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rayman 2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,218
Like?
In reply to Keit ll, Sep 20, 2012

Keit ll wrote:

I am not opposed to the idea of a linkup between Hassleblad & Sony , the example set by Leica & Panasonic springs to mind

However any collaboration has to be more than just re-skining Sony models with an expensive exterior.. I agree that if Hassleblad can introduce in-body image staiblisation or high class lenses then it could be worthwhile

Perhaps Hassleblad could introduce a larger sensor or a square/ multi format sensor with appropriate micro-lenses which would be an enhancement of existing technology ?
--
Keith C

Exactly my thoughts and probably even in line with what Victor Hasselblad would

have done because he was a photographer that built cameras for other photographers...He was very very inovative.......
The nex system is very good but there is always room for new ideas.....
heck even Sony realised that the minolta flash mount was a problem in many cases

rather then any help... they dont have it on the new cameras....Hasselblad does use it..... quite frankly I dont understand it.....
Peter

Dirk W
Senior MemberPosts: 1,550Gear list
Like?
It's just a fake

Nice idea, but forget it: Hasselblad is owned by a venture capital company since a year or so. IMHO they try to push up the profit by crazy margins, squeezing out the good old Hasselblad name as long as it goes. They hope the brand is a cash cow, simply by putting the Hasselblad name and logo all over existing stuff, modding the look, pretending it being an enhanced product. I mean look at the NEX7 Hassy: The brand name is all over that fancy thing and on every shiny little button. That's the best proof for their attempt. Only: People notice! Who would ever seriously believe they would have added enhanced technology to the nicely working NEX7 body or the kit lens??? Now they have panic like crazy because the bluff starts to reveal and their hope to sell the brand next year with a huge straw fire profit gain is jeopardized. All I can say: poor old Victor Hasselblad, he must be turning in his grave.

Dirk W's gear list:Dirk W's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-3N A3000 +13 more
ProfHankD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028Gear list
Like?
Hasselblad's dilemma

The problem is that what Hasselblad historically builds is no longer what cameras are about. When I read them bragging about handmade wooden models and saw the crude 3D design images I knew they were in trouble. They hope to be seen as old world craftsmanship, but they come across more as simply old technology.

I think they are largely stuck with using modules from Sony for the guts, perhaps with tweaks like those Sony has done for Nikon. That's ok. There's plenty they could do with that. For example:

• Form-factor changes & environmental seals

• More buffer memory (DRAM chip substitution)

• Fix the video record button (minor housing tweak)

• Sensor cooling (packaging and/or added-on subsystem)

• Bigger battery (inside the bigger grip)

• UI changes to make it look more Hasselblad (software config)

• Lenses (perhaps leveraging manual focus)

• Shift/tilt mount adapter for lenses, maybe even leaf shutter support

In summary, there's a lot they can do while using "stock" Sony guts.

The catch is that I doubt many of us see benefits to using gold or even carbon fiber. The materials just are not that big an issue -- especially for the NEX-7, which has never drawn any negative comments about the materials used in it's construction. The closest I've heard is complaints about the glue used on the grip and the fragility of the cover on the LCD -- both of which I'd hope Hasselblad would fix.

Anyway, it can't be bad for us NEX users to have Hasselblad in the game. I think it is now clear that E-mount will survive for some time... which wasn't so clear before.

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G5 +21 more
Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,841Gear list
Like?
Re: Hasselblad's dilemma
In reply to ProfHankD, Sep 20, 2012

The cynics are entitled to their point of view & I would not wish to silence them but surely HB are entitled to find a new direction. The medium frame market has contracted & HB have fallen behind but some good could come from this new venture.

Both Sony & HB need some advice as to what they should do so as to move in the right direction. Any new cameras need to build on what is a good foundation & if they get it right then any benefits will trickle down to the standard affordable models. The HB versions may well be outside the reach of ordinary buyers but we should not let that deter us from making constructive suggestions & lending our support. If they suceed then we all win.
--
Keith C

Rehabdoc
Contributing MemberPosts: 906
Like?

I'd just wait till we see a product before I hammer than as hard as some have.

Yes the price is very high, and people are paying a large name premium (as with Leica)...

...but it's not fair to assume that The people at Hasselblad (and Sony) are simply deeply stupid or cynical. The idea that Hasselblad is simply slapping gold plated and carved wood "body kits" on NEX 7 cameras (a la putting a gold plated body kit on an Acura to charge triple for it) and charging $5000 for it, seems a little presumptuous.

I think part of the extreme derision we've seen from some people is also that the designs are ostentatiously ugly to many people's modern sensibilities, and suggests Hasselblad is out of touch. The designs shown look like something that would only appeal to some Saudi prince who has money but doesn't know better, or some very very old Texan or soemthing. Like the interior of a 1980s mega-yacht slapped onto an modern looking silver colored E-mount lens.

I'm reserving judgment for now. I don't think that the people at Hasselblad are that stupid and i dont think Sony would co-brand if t were because the Sony brand might even get a mild black eye if this was just stupid body kits by Hasselblad.

GuyMcKie
Contributing MemberPosts: 535
Like?
Re: ...

... hide me in the darkest cornes where the noise dominates.

Nell27
Senior MemberPosts: 2,708
Like?
In reply to Rehabdoc, Sep 20, 2012

Rehabdoc wrote:

Yes the price is very high, and people are paying a large name premium (as with Leica)...

...but it's not fair to assume that The people at Hasselblad (and Sony) are simply deeply stupid or cynical. The idea that Hasselblad is simply slapping gold plated and carved wood "body kits" on NEX 7 cameras (a la putting a gold plated body kit on an Acura to charge triple for it) and charging $5000 for it, seems a little presumptuous.

I think part of the extreme derision we've seen from some people is also that the designs are ostentatiously ugly to many people's modern sensibilities, and suggests Hasselblad is out of touch. The designs shown look like something that would only appeal to some Saudi prince who has money but doesn't know better, or some very very old Texan or soemthing. Like the interior of a 1980s mega-yacht slapped onto an modern looking silver colored E-mount lens.

I'm reserving judgment for now. I don't think that the people at Hasselblad are that stupid and i dont think Sony would co-brand if t were because the Sony brand might even get a mild black eye if this was just stupid body kits by Hasselblad.

I don't claim to be an expert about Hasselblad but it seems like the Hasselblad that most of us can relate to isn't the Hasselblad that's getting into the digital world.

Hasselblad doesn't build digital cameras and hasn't even built a new medium format camera for quite a few years. Their Xpan camera was a Fuji with the Hasselblad name on it and now it appears their first digital will be a Sony with the Hasselblad name on it.

I honestly don't know what digital technology Hasselblad could possibly pass on to Sony and if Hasseblad could build an E-mount lens it would have an astronomic price and be no better than the Sony branded lenses. As a matter of fact, if they had the technology (by that I mean a factory set-up) to build an Emount lens they would have put it on their new camera.

I wouldn't put a lot of stock into this "partnership" between Hasselblad and Sony. It simply appears to be one where Sony supplies the internal workings and Hasselblad contracts with another company to build the fancy bodies.

I don't think we'll ever see a digital camera that is actually built by Hasselblad and I think their biggest input will always be limited to body design.

I could be wrong.

robertro
Regular MemberPosts: 209
Like?

Somehow, I can't imagine that Hassy would expect to beat Sony on the sensor technology. It's also hard to believe that the existing Sony E lens line would not sink the value of the Hasselblad name. It's a long drop from moon missions to rebadging Sonys.

On a brigher note, I expect these to be high-priced rare collectors items on eBay in a couple of years

Keit ll wrote:

--
Keith C

deleted_081301
Senior MemberPosts: 1,862Gear list
Like?
In reply to Nell27, Sep 20, 2012

Hassleblad have been selling digital cameras for a while now Medium format 645 FUJI cameras with fuji crossed off and Hassleblad written on instead

much the same as they propose to do with the Sony camera ..Hassleblad dont make any cameras anymore they just market other peoples
have a look at the latest

Nell27 wrote:

Rehabdoc wrote:

I don't claim to be an expert about Hasselblad but it seems like the Hasselblad that most of us can relate to isn't the Hasselblad that's getting into the digital world.

Hasselblad doesn't build digital cameras and hasn't even built a new medium format camera for quite a few years. Their Xpan camera was a Fuji with the Hasselblad name on it and now it appears their first digital will be a Sony with the Hasselblad name on it.

I honestly don't know what digital technology Hasselblad could possibly pass on to Sony and if Hasseblad could build an E-mount lens it would have an astronomic price and be no better than the Sony branded lenses. As a matter of fact, if they had the technology (by that I mean a factory set-up) to build an Emount lens they would have put it on their new camera.

I wouldn't put a lot of stock into this "partnership" between Hasselblad and Sony. It simply appears to be one where Sony supplies the internal workings and Hasselblad contracts with another company to build the fancy bodies.

I don't think we'll ever see a digital camera that is actually built by Hasselblad and I think their biggest input will always be limited to body design.

I could be wrong.

deleted_081301's gear list:deleted_081301's gear list
Olympus C-4000 Zoom Olympus E-300 Olympus PEN E-PL1s Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +5 more
Gary H
Senior MemberPosts: 1,739Gear list
Like?

Well, based on the awful NEX-7 abomination, I think they should just go out of business and spare us from having to see their creations. I can't believe that a company that wants to compete in the ethereal world of high end professional cameras and amateur camera bling would bring to market such a thing. The Leica 'M' is standing tall... or wide.

Gary H's gear list:Gary H's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads