Something to make you smile

Started Sep 20, 2012 | Discussions
HB1969
Regular MemberPosts: 352Gear list
Like?
Something to make you smile
Sep 20, 2012

I was having a look at the progress of digital camera technology ...like you do ... and found Canon's first PRO digital camera

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS_DCS_3

Released in 1995 it had (I kid you not) a 1.3MP sensor and cost 2million yen (approx 25000 USD).

We've come a long way

I'd love to know if there were any early adopters out there and what made you decide to fork over the cash.

PS the earliest Nikon equivalent that I can find is the D1 which was released in 1999 with a wopping 2.7MP sensor.

HB1969's gear list:HB1969's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +1 more
Nikon D1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Shamus1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,646Gear list
Like?
Re: Something to make you smile
In reply to HB1969, Sep 20, 2012

Don't remember the date, but was in the mid to late 90's, my job sent me to a Nikon school. For most we used 35mm, but the last day the instructor produced a digital Nikon SLR, which I recall was 1 meg, (not sure it was a production model) and told us not to drop it as it was $15,000...... Allowed us to take a couple images, which he kept.

Shamus1's gear list:Shamus1's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
HB1969
Like?
In reply to Shamus1, Sep 20, 2012

Pitty you weren't allowed to keep the images.
How do you think it performed?

From what I can tell from the Canon camera, it didn't have a screen at the back to be able to review the images.

Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +1 more
Saturoldan
Regular MemberPosts: 230
Like?
In reply to HB1969, Sep 21, 2012

Wow, I remember when those "Cameras of the future" came out and cost like a house. It seems to be an EOS 1V body coupled to a Kodak sensor, but with an amazing 16MB RAM memory (it was then!)

By the way, can you tell the similitude???

-- hide signature --

...With the birds I'll Share This Lonely View...

http://www.naturalezaenpausa.com

HB1969
Like?
In reply to Saturoldan, Sep 21, 2012

It says on the wiki entry that it was an EOS 1N body with the Kodak sensor. I wasn't using Canon's in the '90s so I'm not familiar with the naming system or look of the film cameras. Was the 1N and 1V similar?

Such a shame that Kodak invented digital photography (according to wikipedia at least) and they are virtually invisible in the market today.

meland
Senior MemberPosts: 4,028
Like?
RC 701 and RC 251

HB1969 wrote:

I was having a look at the progress of digital camera technology ...like you do ... and found Canon's first PRO digital camera

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS_DCS_3

Released in 1995 it had (I kid you not) a 1.3MP sensor and cost 2million yen (approx 25000 USD).

We've come a long way

I'd love to know if there were any early adopters out there and what made you decide to fork over the cash.

PS the earliest Nikon equivalent that I can find is the D1 which was released in 1999 with a wopping 2.7MP sensor.

This might interest you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMznSwAq6jQ

Actually the RC 701 wasn't the first digital camera, although it probably was the first 'digital' SLR. The images were stored on a small floppy disc in FM.

The first Canon 'digital' camera was the RC251 (RC 250 in Japan) also known as the iOn. A joint project with Sony who launched a similar product called the Mavica.

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/dcc/data/1986-2000/1988_rc251.html?lang=us&categ=crn&page=1986-2000

The results from both were pretty appalling really, certainly if judged by current standards. I still have some images on the 2" floppies from both cameras somewhere.

Saturoldan
Like?

Yes, 1V was released in 2000, so it was impossible. EOS 1V was the successor of the 1N (and their twins, 1N RS, HS and DP) and the last 1 film series.

Indeed, it is a pitty to see that Kodak has gone.

Well, have you seen the similitude between the pictures I showed? Two pictures with 17 years old difference...

-- hide signature --

PhotoKhan
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,274
Like?
About Kodak...

HB1969 wrote:

Such a shame that Kodak invented digital photography (according to wikipedia at least) and they are virtually invisible in the market today.

Regarding Kodak, I feel like investors are a bit distracted.

Once, I saw a marketing study that postulated that the Coca-Cola brand is such a powerful one that, should it be wiped from the face of the earth by a imaginary and oddly selective disaster, it could be ressuracted and running with about the same levels of recognition and comercial efficiency in about 1 year.

The Kodak name is just about as powerful.

...I really hope there's some big money around that, once this bankruptcy process is over, ramsons the brand and starts to cash in on it, big time.

PK

(PS: Ricoh, for instance, could very well switch the name, stop being the micro player they are and create a DSLR division... If they could raise the cash for such a massive endeavour, that is...)
--
“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)

meland
Like?
Re: About Kodak...
In reply to PhotoKhan, Sep 21, 2012

PhotoKhan wrote:

HB1969 wrote:

Once, I saw a marketing study that postulated that the Coca-Cola brand is such a powerful one that, should it be wiped from the face of the earth by a imaginary and oddly selective disaster, it could be ressuracted and running with about the same levels of recognition and comercial efficiency in about 1 year.

...I really hope there's some big money around that, once this bankruptcy process is over, ramsons the brand and starts to cash in on it, big time.

PK

(PS: Ricoh, for instance, could very well switch the name, stop being the micro player they are and create a DSLR division... If they could raise the cash for such a massive endeavour, that is...)
--

Haven't Ricoh already done so? It's called Pentax. Or are you talking about Ricoh re-branding themselves as Kodak?

jayrandomer
Contributing MemberPosts: 627
Like?

Kodak has already had its name put on inferior products, which is a great way to erode their brand appeal. I think it's too late for what you're suggesting.

I think it would be nice to have another big player in the SLR game, but even Sony with their considerable resources seems to be having trouble becoming a third major SLR manufacturer.

PhotoKhan wrote:

HB1969 wrote:

PK

--
“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)

JackM
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,830Gear list
Like?

PhotoKhan wrote:

Yeah.... except it may become like Indian Motorcycles where the name just gets bought and it's different people in a different place or even a different country.

JackM's gear list:JackM's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +6 more
HB1969
Like?

yes it appears that canon doesn't wan't to mess with a style that has worked so well for them

HB1969
Like?
Re: RC 701 and RC 251
In reply to meland, Sep 21, 2012

The results from both were pretty appalling really, certainly if judged by current standards. I still have some images on the 2" floppies from both cameras somewhere.

funny

to retrieve those images all you have to do is find a computer that has a floppy drive.

meland
Like?

HB1969 wrote:

funny

to retrieve those images all you have to do is find a computer that has a floppy drive.

Actually no. No computer would play these as they were FM analogue discs. You'd need either the camera or one of the dedicated players that Canon and Sony made, which unfortunately I no longer have.

Saturoldan
Like?

Yes that's true! The same look since EOS 1, that in my opinion is the best of all brands, but actually I meant another obvious thing. Have you seen the lens mounted?

-- hide signature --

Lemming51
Forum ProPosts: 12,965Gear list
Like?
FYI - Nikon's early DSLRs (with and without Kodak backs)
In reply to Shamus1, Sep 21, 2012

Shamus1 wrote:

Don't remember the date, but was in the mid to late 90's, my job sent me to a Nikon school. For most we used 35mm, but the last day the instructor produced a digital Nikon SLR, which I recall was 1 meg, (not sure it was a production model) and told us not to drop it as it was $15,000...... Allowed us to take a couple images, which he kept.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/htmls/models/digitalSLRs/index.htm

Maybe a D1 or an E2?

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +5 more
HB1969
Like?

the 50mm 1.4 lens. The one on the DCS looks a little worse for wear.

prolearner
Junior MemberPosts: 37Gear list
Like?
In reply to meland, Sep 22, 2012

The first digital camera was made in 1975 by a 25 year old American named named Steve Sasson who worked for Kodak. It looked like a small toaster, and took 23 seconds to produce a black and white image.

prolearner's gear list:prolearner's gear list
Canon EOS 6D
Tharizdun
Regular MemberPosts: 311Gear list
Like?
In reply to HB1969, Sep 22, 2012

HB1969 wrote:

The nikon was made by nikon themselves as the first pro dslr made by a brand manufacturer.

The camera you're showing wasnt made by canon but by kodak. They were usign nikons before that:

"The original Kodak DCS was launched in 1991, and was based around a stock Nikon F3 SLR with digital components. It used a 1.3 megapixel Kodak KAF-1300 sensor, and a separate shoulder-mounted processing and storage unit."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodak_DCS
--
Buying a Nikon doesn't make you a photographer, it makes you a Nikon owner.

Tharizdun's gear list:Tharizdun's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads