Ricoh Photokina Watch

Started Sep 18, 2012 | Discussions
sroute
Senior MemberPosts: 2,406
Like?
Ricoh Photokina Watch
Sep 18, 2012

As the "no news" thread hit the max 150 messages, here's another.

So far no announcements heard of at the show floor or seen on the Ricoh global PR site.

sroute
Like?
Re: Ricoh Photokina Watch
In reply to sroute, Sep 18, 2012

DPReview published their Pentax/Ricoh "stand report"

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/9450195251/photokina-2012-pentax-ricoh-stand-report

Nothing "new" for readers here.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Andrewteee
Senior MemberPosts: 2,248Gear list
Like?

Interesting. I wonder how you pitch a funky several year old camera system with no updates in sight. Doubt any new dealers will sign up for that one!

Andrewteee's gear list:Andrewteee's gear list
Ricoh GR Leica X Vario Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Harold66
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,269Gear list
Like?
In reply to Andrewteee, Sep 18, 2012

Hello everyone

I am back at the hotel after an long day walking all the halls of Photokina and I can confirm that indeed there is NOTHING new at Ricoh booth , not even announcements

Please look in the news forum on dpr to see my coverage of " must see items at Photokina"

Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro +14 more
anthony mazzeri
Senior MemberPosts: 1,629
Like?

Pentax forums have some coverage as well. It really seems like it's all-Pentax with just the current GXR representing the Ricoh side of things.

pentaxforums.com/news/photokina-2012-in-pictures-a-tour.html

Apparently this was the first time these guys actually handled a GXR (have they been living in a cave?), and they were mightily impressed. They've done a brief hands-on of the GXR:

pentaxforums.com/news/the-ricoh-gxr-impressions-photokina.html

So maybe they'll spread the word and boost GXR sales among Pentax owners, especially so if a K module is released as it would make the GXR the mirrorless camera with an EVF a lot of those with K lens collections were hoping for instead of the K-01. Alas though, probably the more likely scenario would be the easier option to just add a VF-2 port to a K-02 instead.

sroute
Like?

Ricoh Global Digital Camera Press page, nothing new since March 2012:

http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/press/

Pentax Press Pages - sadly Pentax has country specific sites and each country publishes different news releases. For example there's a release on the Germany site touting new HD coatings which doesn't appear on the UK site.

Pentax Germany (might get updated more quickly due to Photokina. Or not.):
http://www.pentax.de/de/year/2012/foto-news.php

Pentax UK
http://www.pentax.co.uk/en/year/2012/news.html

Pentax USA - probably the most comprehensive site
http://www.pentaximaging.com/about/press

anthony mazzeri
Like?
In reply to Andrewteee, Sep 18, 2012

Andrewteee wrote:

Interesting. I wonder how you pitch a funky several year old camera system with no updates in sight. Doubt any new dealers will sign up for that one!

Remember though that it doesn't have to actually be physcially updated as often as other cameras as Ricoh is the only camera maker to release regular firmware feature updates, so the actual camera release date is deceptive when comparing to other cameras.

For example another camera the same age as the A12-50mm wouldn't have focus peaking so you'd have to buy a newer current model, whereas the A12 is updated so it is now more equivakent to the other newer model.

The same would also apply in regards updating the A12 for example with a GXR II body update with a whizzbang new 1.4 million dot LCD, or a new EVF, etc etc which again you woud have to buy a whole new comeptitive camera to get.

Franka T.L.
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,381Gear list
Like?

well, guess the " no news is good news " mentality do not apply .. I was hoping to see a GR-D V or the rumored new GXR Control Body or even a new module or 2 ... but well ... so far its all quiet on the western front
--

• Franka -

sroute
Like?
In reply to anthony mazzeri, Sep 18, 2012

Ricoh isn't the only one to provide feature-adding updates after the sale.

For example Sony added focus-peaking to older NEX-3 and NEX-5 cameras after the NEX-5N was released, a significant update.

anthony mazzeri
Like?

sroute wrote:

Ricoh isn't the only one to provide feature-adding updates after the sale.

For example Sony added focus-peaking to older NEX-3 and NEX-5 cameras after the NEX-5N was released, a significant update.

Regular updates. Regular. As a matter of course. Only Ricoh as far as I know.

sroute
Like?
In reply to anthony mazzeri, Sep 18, 2012

Ricoh certainly are good at listening to its customers and providing updates and they are particularly good at documenting them. I love this page:

http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/download/firmware/gxr/

But even Sony has provided 5 different updates for the lowly NEX-3, the last of which provided focus peaking.

Back to the thread topic, I hope that the future for the GXR holds more than software updates for the existing products.

rondom
Senior MemberPosts: 1,265
Like?

Well, if they were to announce anything new, it would have been a first. I only got slightly excited because cristian (vladimir) thought they might have something to show.
The fact is they never showed anything new at prior photokinas.

They do things in their own way and pace, although they have been quiet for too long this time.

rondom
Senior MemberPosts: 1,265
Like?
In reply to Harold66, Sep 18, 2012

Thank you for sharing...

Harold66 wrote:

Hello everyone

I am back at the hotel after an long day walking all the halls of Photokina and I can confirm that indeed there is NOTHING new at Ricoh booth , not even announcements

Please look in the news forum on dpr to see my coverage of " must see items at Photokina"

alohakid
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?
In reply to rondom, Sep 18, 2012

... if not now , when ?!

sync frame
Regular MemberPosts: 380
Like?
In reply to alohakid, Sep 18, 2012

Quite possibly the holidays. That's not based on anything in particular, but it's a common time to announce new products.

alohakid wrote:

... if not now , when ?!

-- hide signature --
sroute
Like?
In reply to sync frame, Sep 18, 2012

Or perhaps this article from the spring, pitching the end of the Ricoh camera brand, is accurate after all:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/photo-news/538731/ricoh-issues-camera-brand-statement

Hopefully the last zoom camera unit wasn't the end of the "very high end" line of camera products.

BG_CX3_DPREVIEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,741Gear list
Like?

Well,

nothing at all is really...

I did hope for a CX7.

Than again, it would not have been fair to exĂȘct a really big thing to be released here, Japan is the home country, so if anything announced, i expect it to be done in Japan first.

Any fair upcomming in Japan? Rube?

BG_CX3_DPREVIEW's gear list:BG_CX3_DPREVIEW's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P72 Ricoh CX6 HTC Windows Phone 8X
rube39
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,307Gear list
Like?
In reply to BG_CX3_DPREVIEW, Sep 18, 2012

BG_CX3_DPREVIEW wrote:

None that I know of, but I just got back last nite > GRIN

BTW, and this probably means nothing, but prices for the Q and K-01 are dropping fast.

Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 16,632
Like?
Well the good news is ...

I couldn't really afford yet another addition to the GXR system, but I might have made myself do it.

I am really quite happy with my GXR and A12 mount in any case.

If the Pentax forum hint is true then the K mount module might be the next big thing. If that is really on the cards (who knows?) then surely this is where the FF module might go. So leave the FF M mount to Leica (and Fuji perhaps?).

A new GXR back with IS, professional level shot to shot buffer, built in evf (larger of course) - standard mount rails for reverse compatibility to existing modules and team it with a FF K mount module - now that would be interesting. A pro-level evf camera from Ricoh using Pentax lenses.

Hold it back at Photokina not to steal the Pentax stand thunder, and leave the guys on the Ricoh stand to show off the still remakable GXR to the Pentax crowd next door when they get bored ...

Ricoh never ceases to amaze me, I am sure that it will all be revealed in time. Certainly there is no point really in announcing something they cannot yet deliver (whatever it is). But no news of the "new smaller replaceable lensed camera" or whatever happened to the CX7?

Do Pentax make 1" sensors? If not where is their supply? If they are using Sony sensors like Ricoh then perhaps the present production is slotted to Sony first and then Leica (in 2013 for the typ240) - this means any use of the Sony 1" sensor might be very dependent upon order of supply. Even if Ricoh intended to use a 1" Sony sensor in a product and could and have designed something perhaps it's release to a panting wide world is simply a supply issue.

All crazy speculation and over-worked imagination but not something that really bothers me a lot, as stated my present gear suits me well enough just as it is. Leica's typ240 surely shows that the Ricoh GXR-M was away ahead of it's time in many ways, albeit with a smaller sensor. Let's just think that the other guys are simply catching up (grin).

Ratty was right that Ricoh "had nothing", but there remains every hope that there "will be something".

Meanwhile the only "facts" are that the more the K-01 prices fall the closer we might get to a K mount on modular rails.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 16,632
Like?
In reply to rube39, Sep 18, 2012

rube39 wrote:

BG_CX3_DPREVIEW wrote:

None that I know of, but I just got back last nite > GRIN

BTW, and this probably means nothing, but prices for the Q and K-01 are dropping fast.

Well the Q10 is a fact and there is a rumour of a little subsatnce over at Pentax forum of a possible K mount module for the GXR. Just making a K mount module for the present GXR camera back alone makes only half sense as all manual K mount lenses already work on the GXR-M with an adapter. And lenses with apertures can also be made work manually with an appropriate adapter as well. Therefore just making a fully operational K mount adapter for the present GXR system would be more or less making a revised Ricoh clone of the K-01 with the ability to plug in an evf.

More sense might be to take the FF module that we have been half-expecting for the GXR in M mount form and "go west" by using it for the K mount. Obviously putting large K mount automatic lenses on the present GXR body is not the neatest way to go. Therefore it would seemingly make sense for Ricoh to address the perceived failings of the present GXR back at the same time. Going dslr/slr lens size would mean that "compact" is not the first watch-word. Therefore "smaller" is good enough and we will allow an evf hump and build in a professional level shot to shot buffer, any IS would have to go into the necessarily heftier module, but would be useful.

Making this with GXR rails and backward compatible would give us a professional level GXR-type back and extend the reach of the GXR system immensely. Like Rome, such a beast would hardly be designed and built in a day.

That evf would have to be very good indeed. Perhaps they are still working on it. But the price drop on the K-01 is an interesting signal. I still intend a yellow K-01 when it gets to my affordable level. It has to be collectible as well as riot-provoking when used in a crowd. (grin) Noteworthy was the fact that the K-01 makes no provision at all for an evf.

Ricoh tend to be as obstinate and single minded as Leica can be and will probably release any news in Japan when they are ready to deliver and not to the timetable of trade shows.

Something is afoot but that foot was not at Photokina it seems. A pity because a startling new product at Photokina would have been worth a few yen in "free" advertising.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads