Which version of Tamron 17-50?

Started Sep 18, 2012 | Discussions
govindrv
Regular MemberPosts: 280
Like?
Which version of Tamron 17-50?
Sep 18, 2012

Hello all,

I have used a Canon 50mm 1.8 fairly now for a long time and am now seriously considering buying a wider angle and chose the Tamron 17.50 f/2.8 as I'm on a budget.

There are different versions of this lens. Which one should I go for?

Is the IS (VC in Tamron's case) really important. With the short focal length, I'm fairly capable of steady shots handheld. All I'm worried about are the optics and image quality. Which version of the lens produces the best images? And is lighter on the pocket

Also another question: I have a Canon 1d MkII. Will this lens work on this camera?

Thanks for the advice in advance

Cheers
GRV
--
Its your ATTITUDE, not your APTITUDE that decides your ALTITUDE

Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PStu
Regular MemberPosts: 317Gear list
Like?
Re: Which version of Tamron 17-50?
In reply to govindrv, Sep 18, 2012

govindrv wrote:

Hello all,

I have used a Canon 50mm 1.8 fairly now for a long time and am now seriously considering buying a wider angle and chose the Tamron 17.50 f/2.8 as I'm on a budget.

There are different versions of this lens. Which one should I go for?

Is the IS (VC in Tamron's case) really important. With the short focal length, I'm fairly capable of steady shots handheld. All I'm worried about are the optics and image quality. Which version of the lens produces the best images? And is lighter on the pocket

VC takes a moment to kick in after you half-press the shutter release; not as quick as my kit lens. Unless you have a camera body that has great high ISO capabilities, the VC will be welcome for indoor shots.

Doing side-by-side comparisons, I can't see any noticable differences with the 18-55IS except at 100% view. I think that distortion at the wide angle is slightly better.

Also another question: I have a Canon 1d MkII. Will this lens work on this camera?

I believe this lense is APS-C only, but you can double-check at the Tamron website.

Thanks for the advice in advance

Cheers
GRV
--
Its your ATTITUDE, not your APTITUDE that decides your ALTITUDE

PStu's gear list:PStu's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Olympus PEN E-PL2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nightfly
Regular MemberPosts: 415Gear list
Like?
Re: Which version of Tamron 17-50?
In reply to govindrv, Sep 18, 2012

govindrv wrote:

No, it's APS-C only.

-- hide signature --

Andreas
-----------------------------------
Working on http://nightfly.square7.ch/i5

nightfly's gear list:nightfly's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads