SX40 and RAW insertion...

Started Sep 17, 2012 | Discussions
Bodhi-U
Contributing MemberPosts: 861
Like?
SX40 and RAW insertion...
Sep 17, 2012

It has been mentioned to me that a RAW file addition can be inserted into the SX40 through wikipedia CHDK download. Has anyone actually done this to their SX40 and specifically I ask is there any lag time between shots as well as how large are the RAW files? Any set back to the functioning of the camera?

Thank you for your input and insight to the SX40 and RAW

Sunflower6
Regular MemberPosts: 359
Like?
Re: SX40 and RAW insertion...
In reply to Bodhi-U, Sep 17, 2012

Bodhi-U wrote:

It has been mentioned to me that a RAW file addition can be inserted into the SX40 through wikipedia CHDK download. Has anyone actually done this to their SX40 and specifically I ask is there any lag time between shots as well as how large are the RAW files? Any set back to the functioning of the camera?

I've been using CHDK for almost a year now, on my SX40. It does slow down the shot-to-shot time, while it saves a the RAW file to the memory card. Well worth it, IMHO - and you can always shut off the RAW function if you know you need speed more than the RAW file.

File size is heavily dependent on what you're shooting. I'd have to look at some of mine to give you an idea, but they're on the computer at home.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pdqgp
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,973Gear list
Like?
It does slow shot-to-shot but....
In reply to Bodhi-U, Sep 17, 2012

Bodhi-U wrote:

It does slow it down but what's nice is you can completely turn it off and jump right back to quicker shooting.

pdqgp's gear list:pdqgp's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Konica KD-400 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-LS75 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 +14 more
altendky
Contributing MemberPosts: 613
Like?
In reply to Sunflower6, Sep 17, 2012

Sunflower6 wrote:

File size is heavily dependent on what you're shooting. I'd have to look at some of mine to give you an idea, but they're on the computer at home.

I believe the RAW (DNG in my case) are all the same size as they are not compressed DNG. Mine are all 19MB. I have a few CR2 from before I switched to DNG and they are also 19MB.

Sunflower6
Regular MemberPosts: 359
Like?
In reply to altendky, Sep 17, 2012

altendky wrote:

I believe the RAW (DNG in my case) are all the same size as they are not compressed DNG. Mine are all 19MB. I have a few CR2 from before I switched to DNG and they are also 19MB.

Mine are showing 18.3MB on every file.

Phil_MI
Contributing MemberPosts: 627Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sunflower6, Sep 18, 2012

The .dng files from mine are 19.2MB.

phil

PHOTOJOE55
Regular MemberPosts: 414Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bodhi-U, Sep 18, 2012

Why don't you get a camera that shoots RAW?

PHOTOJOE55's gear list:PHOTOJOE55's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 +14 more
Bodhi-U
Contributing MemberPosts: 861
Like?
In reply to PHOTOJOE55, Sep 18, 2012

Yes, you are right...now that the SX50 is coming out. Probably will. I've been spoiled by RAW. No going back.

THANKS TO THE MANY PEOPLE WHO HAVE RESPONDED. GOOD PHOTORAPHYING ALL!!

altendky
Like?

PHOTOJOE55 wrote:

Why don't you get a camera that shoots RAW?

The SX40 does... unless I'm missing something. Better yet, DNG. :]

iAnoop
Regular MemberPosts: 105Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sunflower6, Sep 18, 2012

Sunflower6 wrote:

Bodhi-U wrote:

I've been using CHDK for almost a year now, on my SX40. It does slow down the shot-to-shot time, while it saves a the RAW file to the memory card. Well worth it, IMHO - and you can always shut off the RAW function if you know you need speed more than the RAW file.

If you are shooting RAW one must use class10 memory card it will give you fast shooting ability, though not so fast but still manageable. Class 4 memory card sucks with RAW shooting.
--
--
Anoop
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianoopkumar/

iAnoop's gear list:iAnoop's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
PHOTOJOE55
Like?
In reply to altendky, Sep 18, 2012

altendjy,

I think you are missing something, for the SX40 Look in specifications, then look at Image Recording Format: Normal, Fine

For comparison, I looked at the G1X, Look in specifications, then look at Image Recording Format: Normal, Fine, RAW

Now look at "Overview" look at the group of icons, this also repeats on the side of each camera box.

Look at the icon's under: OVERVIEW, then look at the icons that are printed on the side of the box. You will see the icons repeated. If it shot RAW, I don't think that they would leave it out.

The SX40 does not list RAW. Go back to the Canon site and look again.

Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 +14 more
PHOTOJOE55
Like?

If you are spending over $400.00 you should look at a camera that shoots raw and not through some workaround that may or may not work. Wouldn't you want to be sure?

altendky
Like?

PHOTOJOE55 wrote:

Wouldn't you want to be sure?

I've shot thousands of DNGs and while some individuals have issues with initial install or usage... I have yet to hear of anyone that has not successfully gotten RAW/DNG out of an SX40, or any other CHDK supported camera.

I suppose you might say that my laptop isn't a Linux box because the factory put Windows on it?

altendky
Like?

Sorry for doubling up here...

PHOTOJOE55 wrote:

If you are spending over $400.00 you should look at a camera that shoots raw

If you are spending over... err, under $400 that is... you should look at a camera that has a built-in intervalometer, unlimited bracketing options, longer than 15 second exposure, golden-ratio overlays, RGB histogram, motion trigger... and DNG!

:]

jasenj1
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
CHDK is the reason for my Canon loyalty.
In reply to altendky, Sep 18, 2012

altendky wrote:
Sorry for doubling up here...

PHOTOJOE55 wrote:

If you are spending over $400.00 you should look at a camera that shoots raw

If you are spending over... err, under $400 that is... you should look at a camera that has a built-in intervalometer, unlimited bracketing options, longer than 15 second exposure, golden-ratio overlays, RGB histogram, motion trigger... and DNG!

:]

Over and under exposure zebra, DOF calculation display, panoramic overlay, and Reversi!

CHDK is why I'm sticking with Canon. If I knew of any other manufacturer with a similar "hack", I'd take a close look at them, too. I don't want or need ALL of the features CHDK offers, but it's nice to know they are there.

PHOTOJOE55
Like?
Re: CHDK is the reason for my Canon loyalty.
In reply to jasenj1, Sep 18, 2012

OKAY,
Lets correct the price, for a $345.00 camera, I guess you get what you pay for!

pdqgp
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,973Gear list
Like?
another way of looking at it is

PHOTOJOE55 wrote:

OKAY,
Lets correct the price, for a $345.00 camera, I guess you get what you pay for!

Witth the CHDK availability I look at it as not having to pay for the features that are instead available for no cost.

Love the fact that the SX50 is an evolution of an already great product but for me and many it seems we'll take slightly faster optics and an 840m reach adding RAW and all the other large number of attributes that even this upgrade didn't get through the use of a simple software application.

pdqgp's gear list:pdqgp's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Konica KD-400 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-LS75 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 +14 more
PHOTOJOE55
Like?
Re: another way of looking at it is
In reply to pdqgp, Sep 18, 2012

What is it like 14 BIT RAW?

jasenj1
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
RAW bits.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/SX40

I believe it is 12 bits.

filibuster
Senior MemberPosts: 2,705
Like?

you should look at a camera that shoots raw and not through some workaround that may or may not work. Wouldn't you want to be sure?

All cameras shoot raw. Saving the raw file has been crippled out of the save option, but re-enabled with CHDK.

-- hide signature --

Quote hhgttg: Life is wasted on the living.
filibuster (Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, UK)
http://picasaweb.google.com/scenic.filibuster

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads