EOS utility cant find 7D

Started Sep 17, 2012 | Discussions
labe
Senior MemberPosts: 2,902Gear list
Like?
EOS utility cant find 7D
Sep 17, 2012

Like it says . I went to connect my 7D to the pc today and eos utility cannot pick up the 7D. If i go into my computer the 7D shows up under devices. Any suggestions i have done a clear all settings in the camera ?
--
new to technology,always learning

labe's gear list:labe's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-3 Pentax K-5 II +2 more
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
anand53
Contributing MemberPosts: 533Gear list
Like?
Re: EOS utility cant find 7D
In reply to labe, Sep 17, 2012

Assuming that you have not installed the Solution Disk, would you mind my asking a basic question...............did you install the solution disk that came with the camera? Check the version of the solution disk that the camera with. Install that. Later download the latest version. I sincerely hope this would help.

labe wrote:

Like it says . I went to connect my 7D to the pc today and eos utility cannot pick up the 7D. If i go into my computer the 7D shows up under devices. Any suggestions i have done a clear all settings in the camera ?
--

anand53's gear list:anand53's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
labe
Like?
In reply to anand53, Sep 17, 2012

Thanks for your input. I didnt actually get the correct disk with 7D as it was 2nd hand. The solutions disk i have is for the 60D. My 7D has been working ok with this since april. My version is eos 2.9.0.0 if that helps. Cheers Paul UK
--

Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-3 Pentax K-5 II +2 more
Y0GI
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,210Gear list
Like?
In reply to labe, Sep 17, 2012

labe wrote:

Thanks for your input. I didnt actually get the correct disk with 7D as it was 2nd hand. The solutions disk i have is for the 60D. My 7D has been working ok with this since april. My version is eos 2.9.0.0 if that helps. Cheers Paul UK
--

It is irrelevant which model camera the solutions disk came with but your version of EOS Utilities is out of date. The latest version is 2.11.4. The updater is available for download here: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_7d#DriversAndSoftware Updating my solve your problem, but it sounds like you may have lost the setting that automatically starts EOS Utility when the camera is connected. Try the update first.
--
Yogi

When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!

See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.

Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
AC1
AC1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,163Gear list
Like?
Update everything
In reply to Y0GI, Sep 17, 2012

Which firmware version are you on with your 7D?

Because if you are at v2.0.0 or the latest v2.0.3 then you MUST update all your EOS software to the latest version for them to talk to your updated 7D.

AC1's gear list:AC1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +2 more
labe
Like?
Still not sorted!
In reply to labe, Sep 21, 2012

Firstly, Thanks for all the suggestions to this solution.

I have un-installed all software. Got hold of a different soloutions disc that i know works (with other peoples cameras anyway). Updated tthe software and still no luck. The 7D shows in devices and i can still download the images that way. I just cant connect my 7D to my canon software. I'm just trying a new memory card and battery next just to rule them out. Cheers Paul UK
--

Y0GI
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,210Gear list
Like?
Re: Still not sorted!

labe wrote:

I have un-installed all software. Got hold of a different soloutions disc that i know works (with other peoples cameras anyway). Updated tthe software and still no luck. The 7D shows in devices and i can still download the images that way. I just cant connect my 7D to my canon software. I'm just trying a new memory card and battery next just to rule them out. Cheers Paul UK
--

I'm sorry that you are still having problems, Paul. Try this:

First, connect the camera to the computer with a known good USB cable on a working USB port. Next, start EOS Utility through the Start Menu. Hopefully, the Main Screen will come up. Select "preferences" at the bottom of the EOS Utility Main Screen. In the "preferences" select "Basic Settings" tab. In the middle of the window it says: "Start EOS Utility automatically when camera is connected". If you started the EOS Utility without connecting your camera   this option will be greyed out! Click your mouse in the box next to this start-up option. Quit EOS Utility and disconnect your camera. Reconnect the camera and wait for EOS Utility to start.

I hope that will fix your problem!

Good luck!

-- hide signature --

Yogi

When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!

See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.

Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
Hurricane Phil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,050
Like?
Re: Still not sorted!

labe wrote:

--

Did you try connecting your 7D to your friend's computer to see if it recongnizes it? It may be a computer issue, and have nothing to do with your 7D.

labe
Like?
strangest thing!
In reply to Y0GI, Sep 21, 2012

i've just disconnected my printer and its now working. Very strange indeed
--

Peter too
Contributing MemberPosts: 802
Like?

Sometimes when I connect the cable and switch the camera on EOS Utility opens with an error message. However if I then click EOS Utility it opens OK and allows me to download the images.

Rebecca93
Regular MemberPosts: 130
Like?
In reply to labe, Sep 22, 2012

This happens to me with certain usb cords. Don't know why though...
--
Rebecca

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads