Sony NEX-6 review from Pocket-lint

Started Sep 17, 2012 | Discussions
captura
Forum ProPosts: 10,903Gear list
Like?
Sony NEX-6 review from Pocket-lint
Sep 17, 2012
 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Nikon 1 S1 NEX5R Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +10 more
Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
photoholiko
Regular MemberPosts: 413Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony NEX-6 review from Pocket-lint
In reply to captura, Sep 19, 2012

Thanks for passing that on, I also checked out the OM-D, the other camera I'm interested in, still can't decide but it helped.

photoholiko's gear list:photoholiko's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Canon EOS 70D Epson PhotoPC 850 Zoom Minolta DiMAGE 7 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Everdog
Senior MemberPosts: 4,837
Like?
pdaf does not help much

Other cameras still focus faster and c-af is not great.

GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,419Gear list
Like?
Re: pdaf does not help much
In reply to Everdog, Sep 19, 2012

Everdog wrote:

Happy to rain on the Nex parade, I see... The conclusion of the article seemed to be that it was "one of the best compact system cameras". Pretty positive overall, even if they thought the AF was not as good as it should have been.
--
Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +9 more
quezra
Senior MemberPosts: 1,413Gear list
Like?

Which MILCs have you tested against the 6 that are faster?

Everdog wrote:

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm Sony Alpha NEX-5N Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +7 more
ET2
ET2
Senior MemberPosts: 3,662Gear list
Like?

Everdog wrote:

I am sure all the recent new Nex cameras and lenses must be pretty depressing for Everdog, the guy who has been predicting the death of Nex for 2 years.

Nex's PDAF doesn't have to focus "faster" than M4/3. They just have to track better than M4/3 in AF-C mode. Who cares if EM5 can focus faster by 50 ms or whatever than Nikon D4? It still sucks for tracking objects moving towards the camera.

blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,346Gear list
Like?
In reply to ET2, Sep 19, 2012

ET2 wrote:

Everdog wrote:

I am sure all the recent new Nex cameras and lenses must be pretty depressing for Everdog, the guy who has been predicting the death of Nex for 2 years.

Nex's PDAF doesn't have to focus "faster" than M4/3. They just have to track better than M4/3 in AF-C mode. Who cares if EM5 can focus faster by 50 ms or whatever than Nikon D4? It still sucks for tracking objects moving towards the camera.

Even funnier, with Sony now making the MFT sensors, as well as many other Milc and Dslr sensors, all systems will get the same hybrid focus solution.

So Sony Nex innovation keeps MFT alive...

There is a reason why Everdog, and the MFT guys, seem absent lately.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +27 more
JustinL01
Regular MemberPosts: 243Gear list
Like?

I wouldn't pay too much head to this review, most of the test camera's are on 0.1 Firmware so I doubt it is at release stage. Until a retail model with release firmware and a thorough test of the camera has been done I won't jump to any conclusions.

JustinL01's gear list:JustinL01's gear list
Sony Alpha 7
Kalabalik
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
In reply to JustinL01, Sep 19, 2012

JustinL01 wrote:

I wouldn't pay too much head to this review, most of the test camera's are on 0.1 Firmware so I doubt it is at release stage. Until a retail model with release firmware and a thorough test of the camera has been done I won't jump to any conclusions.

Quote from the review:

"The model we've been using is firmware v1.00 according to the image data in Adobe Bridge, so this is the real deal on these very pages."

mightymouse
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
In reply to Kalabalik, Sep 19, 2012

How come no one picked up on the ongoing NEX low light focusing issue where it just throws up a giant box and nobody has any idea where the focus is? You would think they would have fixed that with the new sensor.

win39
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,825
Like?
That part is disappointing

I had hoped that Sony's implementation of hybrid focus would at least be in the performance neighborhood of the hybrid focus in the Nikon 1. The rest of the camera seems really nice and a more flexible sensor than the NEX 7 which is cranky with a lot of lenses. Wish the 6 had come before the 7. I know which one I would have bought.

Everdog
Senior MemberPosts: 4,837
Like?
In reply to ET2, Sep 20, 2012

ET2 wrote:

Everdog wrote:

Actually I have said about 1000 times that NEX is Sony's future.
(SLTs and APS DSLRs are going away)

Nex's PDAF doesn't have to focus "faster" than M4/3. They just have to track better than M4/3 in AF-C mode.

Too bad this is such a fail then. The one review said PDAF still took 1 sec. You can't track focus very well when focusing is that slow.
Thankfully the E-M5 has it solved...
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=41829772
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1053&message=41909146

The one big failing of NEX (besides only offering kit zooms and super zooms), is that focus indoors is so painifully slow. They still haven't fixed it. The Sony solution is to put a large box around the frame and hope something is in focus.

captura
Like?
In reply to mightymouse, Sep 20, 2012

On the m43 forum, Everdog has been posting that NEX has only 3 lenses and that even Zeiss have abandoned Sony. I wonder if some sales organization pays some guys to do misinformation.

Anyhow, evidence will soon get out that the NEX 7 can't handle some of Sony's own lenses very well, (the 30 and 50) and people will be flocking to the 5R and especially, the 6.

The new Olympus Pens are very fine but I suspect that m43's future will be for the advanced amatuer. (like me.)

Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Nikon 1 S1 NEX5R Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +10 more
Robert Morris
Contributing MemberPosts: 684Gear list
Like?
In reply to JustinL01, Sep 20, 2012

Yes, I wouldn't even call this a review more like someone's option of the camera that they used for a few hours. I was going to wait for a good review but decided to pre order one early today. PS any one know of a good Nikon to Nex lens adapter I got all the Nikon's both G's and D's to use till Sony catches up with their primes.
--
RM

Robert Morris's gear list:Robert Morris's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J1 +27 more
pede59
Contributing MemberPosts: 755
Like?
In reply to captura, Sep 20, 2012

captura wrote:

Anyhow, evidence will soon get out that the NEX 7 can't handle some of Sony's own lenses very well, (the 30 and 50) and people will be flocking to the 5R and especially, the 6.

To be honest, it would really be a big blow it the new lenses that just came out are not working on the Nex-7. We are talking since the Nex-7 came out how it is a great camera but not many good lenses. And then Sony come out with a few nice looking e-mount lenses that are not even working on the 7? Just a year after the camera was released?
Right now i say i can't believe that and wait until i know for sure.

GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,419Gear list
Like?
In reply to Everdog, Sep 20, 2012

Everdog wrote:

Too bad this is such a fail then. The one review said PDAF still took 1 sec. You can't track focus very well when focusing is that slow.

I doubt it's that slow most of the time, probably only in poor conditions. Which will cause entry-level DSLRs to have trouble as well.

The one big failing of NEX (besides only offering kit zooms and super zooms),

Sony doesn't offer the 16mm, 24mm, 50mm, 35mm? Sigma doesn't offer the 30mm or 19mm? Okay....

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +9 more
captura
Like?
In reply to pede59, Sep 20, 2012

pede 59 wrote,

"To be honest, it would really be a big blow it the new lenses that just came out are not working on the Nex-7. We are talking since the Nex-7 came out how it is a great camera but not many good lenses. "

No, the NEW lenses were designed to work 100% with the NEX-7.
Most of Sony's other lenses are really fine too, but not optimized for the 7.

Mike C
Senior MemberPosts: 1,774Gear list
Like?
Agreed! It's more like an executive summary than a review. Good info though.
In reply to Robert Morris, Sep 20, 2012
-- hide signature --

Mike C
Denver, CO

Mike C's gear list:Mike C's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 DxO Optics Pro Standard +2 more
V1V1D
Contributing MemberPosts: 640Gear list
Like?
In reply to captura, Sep 20, 2012

captura wrote:

pede 59 wrote,
No, the NEW lenses were designed to work 100% with the NEX-7.
Most of Sony's other lenses are really fine too, but not optimized for the 7

What lenses would you consider not optimized for the N7?? I would say any lens Sony makes is optimized for any NEX. Some of the UWA variety may not be, but that wasn't the statement.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

V1V1D's gear list:V1V1D's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +2 more
Bart Hickman
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,086Gear list
Like?
In reply to Everdog, Sep 21, 2012

Everdog wrote:

Thankfully the E-M5 has it solved...
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=41829772
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1053&message=41909146

That's pretty impressive for CDAF, but this particular example would not be demanding for a mirror-less PDAF system--even one with a slow servo, because it can determine focus error and direction with a single measurement.

The one big failing of NEX (besides only offering kit zooms and super zooms), is that focus indoors is so painifully slow. They still haven't fixed it. The Sony solution is to put a large box around the frame and hope something is in focus.

I read somewhere (probably in this forum) if instead of using the default AF mode, you manually pick the focus point (say, the center) it works a lot better in low light.

Bart
--
http://bhimages.zenfolio.com

Bart Hickman's gear list:Bart Hickman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads